2008 Jeep Travel bug

larrymuld

I'm curious if anyone has ANY info on a 2008 jeep TB challenge.

I have not seen or heard anything but since it is getting towards the end of May I figure if they were planning on sending out jeeps this year we'd have heard something?

Just curious if there is any info out there.

My vote would be for a black jeep! Of course it doesn't matter much around my neck of the woods. We have a geocacher nearby that grabs as many of the new jeeps as they can and them "pimps" them out. All kinds of colors and new oversize wheels. Kind of wrecks the photo contest for the year for the rest of us. Wish they would at least wait until the contest was over or better yet...not alter a TB that doesn't belong to them in the first place.

Maybe JEEP CORP should state that the TB's shouldn't be altered in any form along with that they are meant to keep be kept moving and not hoarded.

My vote would be for a black jeep! Of course it doesn't matter much around my neck of the woods. We have a geocacher nearby that grabs as many of the new jeeps as they can and them "pimps" them out. All kinds of colors and new oversize wheels. Kind of wrecks the photo contest for the year for the rest of us. Wish they would at least wait until the contest was over or better yet...not alter a TB that doesn't belong to them in the first place.

Maybe JEEP CORP should state that the TB's shouldn't be altered in any form along with that they are meant to keep be kept moving and not hoarded.

At least they kept them moving...much more then what some people do...I havn't seen a Jeep TB (any year) show up in the area for a while now...

...besides, their mods never wrecked the contest...last year's jeep was rather "wimpy/sad"compared to previous years...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

...besides, their mods never wrecked the contest...last year's jeep was rather "wimpy/sad"compared to previous years...

I daresay that the winner of the 2007 Jeep and the winners of the monthly Garmin giveaway would disagree with you. I don't see any "pimped" red jeeps in any of the pictures located at this link, do you? http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/winners.aspx

I will again state the FACT that "mods" wreck the contest for those of us that want to participate and follow the rules of the jeep contest. Not to mention the rules of simple common sense - i.e. you DON'T mess with someone else's property. That includes altering a travel bug that DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU!

My vote would be for a black jeep! Of course it doesn't matter much around my neck of the woods. We have a geocacher nearby that grabs as many of the new jeeps as they can and them "pimps" them out.

At least they kept them moving...much more then what some people do...I havn't seen a Jeep TB (any year) show up in the area for a while now...

"My neck of the woods" covers a large area, especially when you consider the vast woods of Minnesota! Amazing how you quickly figured out that I was talking about YOUR geocaching buddies. Since you pinpointed WHO they were and stated that they at least keep them moving...I would need to beg to differ. As of today THEY have had 102 Jeeps pass through their "garage" cache including the two jeeps that have been there for a couple of months. Amazing since the cache is listed as a "micro" on the cache page.

(And that isn't even bringing into account their northern Minnesota "bisexual 'aunt'" aka possible sock puppet, hoarding of dozens of trackables including your own purple ninja.)

In the grand scheme of life...this is all just fluff and really not worth the time and aggravation I have put into it...but that being said....it still "bugs" me.

I think a blue jeep would be neat. I am guilty too of holding onto some Jeeps too long. I have a few TBs that I need to drop off. I haven't been geocaching much since my daughter was born. I won the 2007 Jeep contest and was hoping to take some photos of my new jeep with a Red Jeep TB. I haven't received my Jeep Liberty yet, but it has been ordered. This is a great contest and a lot of fun. Please keep in mind you have to pay taxes! I am expecting to pay up to 10000 just in taxes, sales and income. You still can't get a new Jeep for that cheap though.

I never did come across any Red, White, or Green jeeps that were modified in any way. I have never seen a Yellow jeep.

I was a monthly winner (The Jeep-o-lantern), and didn't feel the need to "pimp" the Jeep up. The contest had 3 aspects to it: Humor, Creativity, Geocaching Theme. If pimping the TB still conforms to those, then more power to the contestant.

I actually liked my other photo more...

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/c7dbd0...5017170ff30.jpg

Also, wasn't one of the monthly themes for the white jeep was to actually decorate the jeep. I remember finding one that had been painted, and spent a few days trying to clean it up.

BTW - I LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEE my new Garmin. I use it on just about every road trip - not just for geocaching.

Edited by geo-jenkins

Also, wasn't one of the monthly themes for the white jeep was to actually decorate the jeep. I remember finding one that had been painted, and spent a few days trying to clean it up.

Yes, that was the October theme for the White Jeep. It was definitely the most fun of all of the themes they've had. We made WJTB "Banaing" glow in the dark. :unsure:

After the contest was over we found a couple of white jeeps with stickers or other decorations. They were more interesting to see than yet another identical jeep.

I agree with dlgps, "It bugs me" too. Our red jeep that we launched turned into a purple "monster truck". I believe it made it from Indiana to Minnesota before it was "transformed". Yes, it did move along for a while however when people look at a cache page and see a red jeep icon and a red jeep is not in the cache I can see how it could cause confusion. Even though we realize the jeep did not belong to us and was just for us to watch, we still feel as if the actual red jeep was stolen.

Well my 2007 jeep TB burned up in my Dodge Caravan before I could place it. So I was hoping to have a chance to redeem myself with some 2008 Jeeps.....

....but I highly doubt at this late date in the year, that we will see any 2008 Jeep TBs. With Chrysler struggling and the quality of their products going down, I think Chrysler would be better to focus on making the Jeeps better than worry about TBs. Besides, you do this kind of thing too long, it isn't so unique anymore.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...0f-8b72b5ef120f

A blue or a black jeep would be nice. I hope I get another one to start out again. Love to watch and see where it goes. I have the very first green jeep I retrieved in my watch list too.

I got one of the red ones sent to me last year to start. I started it at my yard cache, it traveled 440 miles and is now back in my hands 1 year later. How messed up is that?

To get back to the original question......... There probably won't be one this year. JEEP has new owners and they are streamlining their promotions. JEEP used to have an event called CAMP JEEP annually and starting this year they are going to every other year. So the JEEP travel Bugs may be the same :P

To get back to the original question......... There probably won't be one this year. JEEP has new owners and they are streamlining their promotions. JEEP used to have an event called CAMP JEEP annually and starting this year they are going to every other year. So the JEEP travel Bugs may be the same :D

Every other year is do able :D I am a sort of "every other" person myself.

My vote would be for a black jeep! Of course it doesn't matter much around my neck of the woods. We have a geocacher nearby that grabs as many of the new jeeps as they can and them "pimps" them out.

"My neck of the woods" covers a large area, especially when you consider the vast woods of Minnesota! Amazing how you quickly figured out that I was talking about YOUR geocaching buddies. Since you pinpointed WHO they were and stated that they at least keep them moving...I would need to beg to differ. As of today THEY have had 102 Jeeps pass through their "garage" cache including the two jeeps that have been there for a couple of months. Amazing since the cache is listed as a "micro" on the cache page.

(And that isn't even bringing into account their northern Minnesota "bisexual 'aunt'" aka possible sock puppet, hoarding of dozens of trackables including your own purple ninja.)

In the grand scheme of life...this is all just fluff and really not worth the time and aggravation I have put into it...but that being said....it still "bugs" me.

LOL...that one died back in Late April/Early May...so, I am not sure how anyone still has it... :);):D

...and yes...it does say micro on the cache page...but it isn't...more like a small...but mistakes happen...whether the jeeps are there or not, I could not say. As I said before...they were given an ok by several members of Groundspeak to decorate the jeeps (stating Jeep wanted cachers to be creative with all the Jeep TBs...true or not, I could not tell you...but that is what I heard from them as well as several other cachers that attended the MWGB last year).

Maybe someday, we will meet while caching and you will see that I am a nice guy and feels everyone is entitled to their opinion. Besides...in a previous thread, I also stated that I wasn't sure if I agreed to what they were doing with the jeeps...but, to each their own. Some people liked the changes more then others...

Anywho, they do their thing and I do mine...we may not always agree, but that is life...all I can say for certain is what I do while caching...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

To get back to the original question......... There probably won't be one this year. JEEP has new owners and they are streamlining their promotions. JEEP used to have an event called CAMP JEEP annually and starting this year they are going to every other year. So the JEEP travel Bugs may be the same ;)

There was a post similar to this in another thread...but I can't find it...

Anywho, something about the new owners not be as interested in the "Outdoors Aspect" as the previous owners and more then likely chosing to use their money in new ways...which probably includes not going through with the Jeep TB contest anymore...

I, personally, enjoyed the White Jeep TBs the most...big and "animated"!!! The one alteration I enjoyed was a White Jeep TB I came across in September...name was Floyd...of course, it was colored Pink!!!

And so continues the downfall of Jeep. After the release of a 4x2 Wrangler, it became clear the legacy is no longer valued by those on top. Do they not realize the buzz that this created within a community that cherishes the outdoors?

Personally, I feel fortunate to have won a contest month in what may end up being the last year for the *JTBs. How disappointing.

I have the official word.

There will not be a Jeep contest this year, or a Jeep TB. Jeep has new owners, and they are not going to be having a contest this year.

Sorry, Blue Deuce, no blue Jeep. :huh: I would have put in a good word for you too!

What about Diabetes or other newer things?

Sorry, Blue Deuce, no blue Jeep. :D I would have put in a good word for you too!

Still Blue Deuce no good deeds go un-noticed, I'm sure it would have looked like this:

c8cf1872-657f-4853-b242-b885eb7c260f.jpg

<image added for poster, by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

This is SOOOO heart-breaking! I had been wondering why I haven't seen or heard anything about them this year. I second the idea that we start a writing campaign to let Jeep know how important the JTB's are to a HUGE community!

If anybody can find out where to write, PLEEEEASE let the rest of us know!

This is SOOOO heart-breaking! I had been wondering why I haven't seen or heard anything about them this year. I second the idea that we start a writing campaign to let Jeep know how important the JTB's are to a HUGE community!

If anybody can find out where to write, PLEEEEASE let the rest of us know!

Personally I think they are nothing but angst. Let Travel Bugs be Travel Bugs and hand out candy in the form of coins.

The auto industry is in such bad straights right now that I understand cutting out this promotion. They al simply have to 'trim the fat' wherever they can.

While the TBs may improve/maintain Jeep's brand image with outdoorsy types like us geocachers, it probably doesn't sell jeeps.