Software for Magellan Crossover

I recently purchased a Magellan Crossover. It works great and have now found about 10 caches in my region. However, hand entering the waypoints is hard. Is there a way to download these directly to my GPS? I have the USB cord that plugs the GPS into my computer. Please advise.

I recently purchased a Magellan Crossover. It works great and have now found about 10 caches in my region. However, hand entering the waypoints is hard. Is there a way to download these directly to my GPS? I have the USB cord that plugs the GPS into my computer. Please advise.

Magellan units aren't capable of interacting with third party applications, so unfortunately you may have to key them in by hand.

Magellan units aren't capable of interacting with third party applications, so unfortunately you may have to key them in by hand.

That's not quite true. I have a CrossoverGPS and I use gpsbabel to convert .loc files to .upt files. Then I load the upt file onto my SD card via a card reader, insert it back into the GPS and load the waypoints from the Options menu (in Outdoor mode). You can also use gpsbabel to convert the .loc file to .wpt and then load it into the POI editor supplied with the unit. From there you can save a .mgln file and upload that file, via USB and the supplied software, to the GPS. This creates an Enhanced POI file in Vehicle Nav mode that you can street route to.

Mapsend Lite can also be used to create the .upt files.

JetSkier

I use gsak and place the output on my sd card for importing. I just remembered I believe gsak is a front end to gpsbabel.

I never connect the GPSr via USB unless there is a need to do a Firmware update.

External SD card reader/writers are inexpensive now a days if they don't already come built it to your PC and provide a faster transfer rate.

For viewing Track logs, Trips and waypoints or creating Routes or waypoints I use Mapsend lite. It allows you to switch between your mapsend products with it being the common interface. If I need t create a map though i go to the original Mapsend product as I can't create a map through Mapsend Lite.

John

I have a CrossoverGPS and I use gpsbabel to convert .loc files to .upt files. Then I load the upt file onto my SD card via a card reader, insert it back into the GPS and load the waypoints from the Options menu (in Outdoor mode). You can also use gpsbabel to convert the .loc file to .wpt and then load it into the POI editor supplied with the unit. From there you can save a .mgln file and upload that file, via USB and the supplied software, to the GPS. This creates an Enhanced POI file in Vehicle Nav mode that you can street route to.

Mapsend Lite can also be used to create the .upt files.

JetSkier

Yes! I havn´t been able to figure out before how to load files into the Outdoor mode. I´ll try out right away!

Just a few questions:

1) Is it possible to convert and load gpx-files to the Outdoor-mood in the Crossover? I would like to get the cache descriptions, hints etc...

2) Can I load .upt-files to the Outdoor mode using an USB-cable instead of a card reader? My only card reader is on my printer, which isn't connected to my laptop all of the time. Or can I only use the USB-cable for loading .mgln-files as Enhanced POIs to the Vehicle mode?

Thanks!

/Vildmärren (the wild mare)

Vildmärren,

1) The crossover does not support gpx files so you can't get cache descriptions, etc.

2) The only way to get the upt files to the crossover is for you to write them to the SD card. For that, you'll need a card reader. They are very cheap these days. I think you can get one for around $10.00. The USB connection will only load the mgln files.

JetSkier

Vildmärren,

1) The crossover does not support gpx files so you can't get cache descriptions, etc.

2) The only way to get the upt files to the crossover is for you to write them to the SD card. For that, you'll need a card reader. They are very cheap these days. I think you can get one for around $10.00. The USB connection will only load the mgln files.

JetSkier

Ah well, seems like I can´t go "paperless" with the crossover, then. :ph34r:

But at least I know how to eliminate the time consuming tapping in coordinates! :) Thanks!!