Vista HCx Compass...? Worth it?

Fotocacher

You can stand still and it will know direction and point to your destination. Worth it? THat's for you to decide. You do need to calibrate it every time you change your batteries and sometimes in between. To some people that's a pain that they don't want to deal with and they prefer units without the compass.

I currently have an eTrex Legend HCx. Ok, what does the compass on the Vista HCx do that my compass doesn’t? If I stand still, will it point to the cache without me moving? Or is it like the Legend in that I have to move for it to work?

Thanks

JPL`

Personally, I wouldn't have a GPS without one. But I've taken the time to learn how to use it properly. A lot of people don't, and get frustrated with them. The electronic compass isn't magic. While the actual compass display (that's the compass ring) should always be fairly accurate, the navigation arrow (that many people confuse with the compass) works by combining the GPS's current solution as to your exact position with the unit orientation as determined by the compass, in order to place the arrow in the right direction. If the current location is off (due to normal GPS error), the arrow direction will be off. Yet people will blame that on the compass, when in fact it's performing correctly, based on the information it's working with. A handheld compass would have produced the same results.

I went from a basic Legend to a 76CSx. When caching, I use the map screen and bearing line. One thing I noticed is if I don't hold the unit flat, it points my location in the wrong direction that I'm traveling. I trained myself to hold it at about 30° when walking. I have to check the distance to target to make sure I'm walking in the right direction. I either need to learn how to use it or learn how to turn it off.

I went from a basic Legend to a 76CSx. When caching, I use the map screen and bearing line. One thing I noticed is if I don't hold the unit flat, it points my location in the wrong direction that I'm traveling. I trained myself to hold it at about 30° when walking. I have to check the distance to target to make sure I'm walking in the right direction. I either need to learn how to use it or learn how to turn it off.

The unit will tell you when you're not holding level. If you see the words Hold Level at the bottom, then you need to adjust the angle until that message goes away. If you're having a hard time getting that to happen, that's a sign that you need to take 30 seconds and recalibrate it.

The drawbacks to the electronic is cost (duh!) and a higher drain on batteries. Some cachers claim the E-C does not increase battery drain, but I have found that it does on my Vista. About 95% of my finds are with the E-C turned off. I usually turn it on in steep terrain or in boulderly hides with an almost endless number of hidey holes.

When I cached with a Venture Cx, which does not have E-C, I found it effective to go to the satellite page and navigate by the numbers instead of from the compass screen; the numerical values go up for west and north.

I started out using the Vista C and then moved to the Vista HCx, both of which have the compass. Personally, I value this feature very much. I use it everytime I seek a cache. I find that the visual feedback of the compass arrow is the easiest way for me to zero in on the hide location. I can also use it to triangulate when I'm having a tough time. I know some people do not care for, nor do they like to use the compass, but I feel it is well worth the extra $$$.

I personally find the built-in electronic compass to be a complete waste of time. The variability in the readings and the requirment that I hold it perfectly level and fairly still to get any decent measure of accuracy. Had me zigzagging all around as I approached caches. I know it only takes a minute or two to calibrate it but I find that to be cumbersome. I am much better off with my old trusty seperate compass and the GPS. Just me though......

I've had NO trouble with the compass on my Vista HCx, always seems accurate to me (after the obligatory calibration).

Today I'm returning a 60CSx...one of the issues being the "Hold Level" message NEVER goes away unless I'm moving (And as I mentioned elsewhere, I even used a carpenters level to make sure I had the unit perfectly level!).

I'll add another + vote or maybe 2, I have a 60CSx and a Vista HCx for my son. Never had one without until trying out the Trimble GeoCache navigator on my phone. Yes there is some bounce around when you're real close but I personally like the ability to stand still and still have the unit point to the desired location. One of the things I like to do is back off 50 or so feet from what I believe to be ground zero and get a bearing on the location, move laterally and do it again. Where the 2 bearings cross is a good place to put away the GPS and start looking. Yes you could do this without the EC but much easier with. I look at the calibration (probably a couple times per outing) as the price for the extra function. Kind of like remembering to put in new batteries or charging my PDA.

Trooper

I'm been an eTrex user for quite a while (6 years). I've used an old ETrex Vista (with a compass) and and eTrex Summit and eTrex Legend Cx (both without the compass). Personally I don't need the compass, it requires more power (only slightly more though) and it needs frequent recal (both for batteries and major location changes), and in my opinion, doesn't force people to learn the basics. I'm no luddite, but do yourself a favor and buy a good Silva.

(http://www.silvacompass.com/p-43-trekker-420.aspx)

It needs no batteries and will teach you the basics of overland navigation (knowing your declination, reading a map, etc...) BE PREPARED.

My $0.02.

Chris

Edited by powellc

I currently have an eTrex Legend HCx. Ok, what does the compass on the Vista HCx do that my compass doesn’t? If I stand still, will it point to the cache without me moving? Or is it like the Legend in that I have to move for it to work?

Thanks

JPL`

A hand held compass that is good to +/- a degree is under $20 and never needs batteries or calibration. Both choices should get you to the same place so it's just a matter of what you want to use and how much you want to spend to get there.

Personally, I wouldn't have a GPS without one. But I've taken the time to learn how to use it properly. A lot of people don't, and get frustrated with them. The electronic compass isn't magic. While the actual compass display (that's the compass ring) should always be fairly accurate, the navigation arrow (that many people confuse with the compass) works by combining the GPS's current solution as to your exact position with the unit orientation as determined by the compass, in order to place the arrow in the right direction. If the current location is off (due to normal GPS error), the arrow direction will be off. Yet people will blame that on the compass, when in fact it's performing correctly, based on the information it's working with. A handheld compass would have produced the same results.

Could someone please give me a simple method of using the HCX with the compass. I just used my new HCX today for the first time and I kept going in circles trying to figure out where the pointer was taking me. Sometimes it was 180 degrees out ond then other times it was acting like my old Garmin without the compass.

Thanx

Could someone please give me a simple method of using the HCX with the compass. I just used my new HCX today for the first time and I kept going in circles trying to figure out where the pointer was taking me. Sometimes it was 180 degrees out ond then other times it was acting like my old Garmin without the compass.Thanx
When it's acting erratically (in an area with lots of signal bounce) you can turn it off by pressing and holding down the page button. Then you can turn it back later on by doing the same thing.

Could someone please give me a simple method of using the HCX with the compass. I just used my new HCX today for the first time and I kept going in circles trying to figure out where the pointer was taking me. Sometimes it was 180 degrees out ond then other times it was acting like my old Garmin without the compass.

Thanx

The HCx uses the satellites to indicate compass direction while you're moving. When you stop, or are moving below a certain speed, it switches to magnetic sensing after a selectable timeout.

Under Setup > Heading, look for "switch to compass heading when below..." and "for more than..."

I have mine set to 3 miles an hour and 15 seconds

Also, make sure your compass is calibrated, and set to "Bearing Pointer" instead of "Course Pointer"

I will never own another GPS without one. I am not one of the people who complain about calabration. I calibrate my compass two or three times a cache day. It takes less than a minute.

We call calibrating the compass the 'Dizzy Dolphin Dance".

When spinning around, it's a good idea to assume the "I'm a little tea cup" pose, so any onlookers don't think you're spinning around for no good reason. Don't forget to do the "tip me over" move, once you get the successful calibration message. :grin:

I will never own another GPS without one. I am not one of the people who complain about calabration. I calibrate my compass two or three times a cache day. It takes less than a minute.

We call calibrating the compass the 'Dizzy Dolphin Dance".

When spinning around, it's a good idea to assume the "I'm a little tea cup" pose, so any onlookers don't think you're spinning around for no good reason. Don't forget to do the "tip me over" move, once you get the successful calibration message. :lol:

LOL!!!! I will try that next trip out! :blink:

Bought it by the way, and I LOVE it!