So, I wanna create an accessible cache...

Ok, so I want to do a handicapped accessible cache, so, someone tell me what you look for when you search for caches that you are able to do!

I've searched the forums, looked on handicaching.com, but I really want some "real life" experiences on what you feel is a good, accessible cache.

I'm not just talking about folks in chairs, but folks using canes, folks with limited mobility, etc.

I'm looking for comments regarding terrain, what is an acceptable distance to walk or reach, heights of caches, type of containers that are easy to open but still secure, etc.

For example. I've got a cache that is about 50 yards from the parking area. There is a ramp that goes down to the wide, level packed dirt path that leads to the cache. The path is wide enough to drive on. The cache is hidden in the corner of a building, it's a big stone building, and you have to move some small stones to get to it, they don't weigh any more than about 2 or 3 lbs per stone, tops. The only "bad" part about this cache is that the last 6 to 8 feet to the cache is slightly uphill and a chair couldn't access it, but someone with limited walking ability likely could.

Would this be considered accessible? When I entered the info on handicaching.com it came up as h111151 or something like that.

I'd like to do a truly accessible cache.

Let me know what you guys who visit the accessible caches want, need and look for in a cache! I love hiding caches almost more than finding them, and I want to put out some truly accessible caches this summer!

Thanks,

Naomi :D

Hey Naomi,

I'm so glad you are looking to create a truly accessible cache :P As far as advice goes, the first thing I would suggest is if your girls cannot reach it without stretching to get it then, it probably would be out of reach for someone with limited arm movement. The one's I really enjoy are the one's that are right in front of your face without you knowing it. Something that was painted to blend in, a fake bolt, a fake leaf, rock, something that looks like it belongs in the terrain and gives you a challenge and can make you feel a little dumb after you have been searching half the day for it, lol. As far as the distance goes? I use an electric wheelchair and it really doesn't make a difference to me how far we go to get it as long as it doesn't take all day to get there and run my battery out but for Chip who goes with me and has leg problems then his limitation would probably be about around a mile before he really gave out but someone who uses crutches or has a very difficult time walking then probably a lot less than that. You might want to try doing a multi cache too? We've never really done a multi cache that take you to other locations because I've alway been afraid that I might be able to do one part of it but not the rest of it because of terrain problems. Maybe something that goes to different historic places in Sweden or popular place or even one that has a puzzle that you have to figure out and then takes you to different places? Creativity is what I appreciate in a cache.

I hope this helps a little? When you do make the cache I'd like to get the link so I can put it into my watch list if you don't mind. Feel free to email me and ask any questions you would like. I'll try to help with some suggestions.

Nora

You asked for replies from people not in a wheelchair, so I will add my thoughts. I have RA (rheumatoid arthritis). Without going into too much detail, it means some days I have better mobility than others. I usually have no trouble walking far as long as the terrain is relatively flat, I find a slope can be very hard on my ankles. As far as the cache's hiding spot; I usually cannot kneel, if the cache is on the ground and is not obvious, then I have to actually sit down to search. My hands/wrists are also in bad shape so if I have to manipulate the cache out of its hiding place, I am in trouble. Obviously something that requires climbing is out, I am short so this means the cache is best when hidden about 2-5ft off the ground. As for containers, nanos are bad as I can't get the log re-rolled. Ammo cans can be very hard for me to open as can lock and lock and Tupperware sometimes. I know this doesn't leave much, just mentioning it. My suggestion would be that if the cacher can't open the container but can prove they found the cache, they can still claim a find. Usually I cache with my husband or a friend and I have them open the cache because I can't. It doesn't seem fair to me that just because I am incapable of opening the container, I didn't find the cache, esp as I was holding it in my hands. OK, rant over :laughing: . Just remember an accessible cache doesn't have to be lame or a park and grab. A well cammoed container that takes a good amount of time to find is just as much fun as something that has a higher terrain rating. Physically challenged doesn't mean mentally challenged. (Not directing this comment to you personally, mousekakat, this is just the way some of the comments strike me when this topic is raised). Anyway, good luck with your cache. plasmawife

You asked for replies from people not in a wheelchair, so I will add my thoughts. I have RA (rheumatoid arthritis). Without going into too much detail, it means some days I have better mobility than others. I usually have no trouble walking far as long as the terrain is relatively flat, I find a slope can be very hard on my ankles. As far as the cache's hiding spot; I usually cannot kneel, if the cache is on the ground and is not obvious, then I have to actually sit down to search. My hands/wrists are also in bad shape so if I have to manipulate the cache out of its hiding place, I am in trouble. Obviously something that requires climbing is out, I am short so this means the cache is best when hidden about 2-5ft off the ground. As for containers, nanos are bad as I can't get the log re-rolled. Ammo cans can be very hard for me to open as can lock and lock and Tupperware sometimes. I know this doesn't leave much, just mentioning it. My suggestion would be that if the cacher can't open the container but can prove they found the cache, they can still claim a find. Usually I cache with my husband or a friend and I have them open the cache because I can't. It doesn't seem fair to me that just because I am incapable of opening the container, I didn't find the cache, esp as I was holding it in my hands. OK, rant over :laughing: . Just remember an accessible cache doesn't have to be lame or a park and grab. A well cammoed container that takes a good amount of time to find is just as much fun as something that has a higher terrain rating. Physically challenged doesn't mean mentally challenged. (Not directing this comment to you personally, mousekakat, this is just the way some of the comments strike me when this topic is raised). Anyway, good luck with your cache. plasmawife

Those are some great suggestions! What about having a "codeword" on the top of the container that a cacher can mail me with to verify the find if they have difficulty opening a cache. I generally use lock and locks or tupperware type containers and I had considered that there could be difficulty opening them.

My mother's second husband was an amputee, right leg, right below the knee, and used crutches for years until they finally progressed enough with prosthetics to get him one that was a good one. The thing is, though, that he could do just about everything that everyone else could, he didn't let his lack of a leg hold him back, so I really want to know how others "work" and feel, what they are looking for.

THanks for the great suggestions so far. It's given me some ideas and I really do want to do a great, accessible cache!

Naomi :laughing:

We handi-cachers have a wide and impossible to define range of capabilities... fairly flat and even terrain is about the best overall description of accessible terrain that I can offer.

I lost a leg in '99 and broke my neck in '03, so I use a wheelchair for most things but geocache on crutches. If I encounter somewhere I can't go on crutches (steep or slick hill-sides) I have been known to get down and crawl to the cache... so a large part is the determination of the cacher.

My advice would be to keep 'flat and even' in mind but more to the point make them interesting to everyone by making them difficult through such things as camo and deception. Find, for example, a parking lot at a scenic overview with a tree root or fence along a drop-off, tie a strong clear or green fishing line near or at the bottom, and throw the cache down the drop-off out of sight. Anyone can access the location, but finding the string can be pretty tough. Once found however most anybody can pull the string up.

In that manner you create a cache accessible by anyone and of interest to all.