Anquet

I use Anquet but it seems that most people use Memory Map for caching. AFAIK neither will load onto Garmin GPSr's which will only take Garmin maps which are not as good as OS.

I use anquet on the desktop for planning etc. and on a PPC in the field. This was discussed on the forum a month or so ago but I have just tried a quick search and cant find it.

I use Anquet but it seems that most people use Memory Map for caching. AFAIK neither will load onto Garmin GPSr's which will only take Garmin maps which are not as good as OS.

I use anquet on the desktop for planning etc. and on a PPC in the field. This was discussed on the forum a month or so ago but I have just tried a quick search and cant find it.

A related question (sort of). I've been capturing tracks on Etrex Legend HCx, converting them to .arf files using GPSUtility and opening in Anquet v1. All fine until this weekend when suddenly the imported track is offest approx 100m WNW. This was Wales. Just tried it around Peterborough - same effect. Importing as gpx into Google Earth the position is correct. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

This sounds very much like a datum shift error. The offset you describe indicates that your track file contains positions on the WGS84 datum (the norm for GPS), but by the time the track loads into Anquet these are being treated as positions on the OSGB36 datum (the old norm for OS mapping).

So either somewhere in your conversion process the numerical values are being converted between the datums, or when you load them into Anquet the numerical values are still in WGS84 but Anquet is treating them as OSGB36.

Uh huh. Thanks. I read something on a forum about OSGB36 (the Anquet standard?) vs WGS84. Curious though that it worked perfectly a week ago and has done regularly since January. GPSUtility have just brought out a new version but the problem occurred with the old. I tried upgrading last night but this didn't cure the problem. So what has changed. Maybe I should just reboot :lol:

Good to see others are using anquet. I use it and am happy with it for planning trips and storing details of my cache sites.

However one aspect of it i find a bit of a pain is the limited waypoint icons. There is no cache icon, which means when i transfer to GPS unit i need to edit the icon on the unit or run the file through Mapsource to do the edits.

Has anyone come across this or can suggest a solution. (without going out and getting MM)

Thanks

Edited by Top rope ian

I am away from home at the moment but I have converted some of Lord Elf's Lovely Icons which I use in Anquet. At the moment I can't remember how I did this but if you email me through my profile and give me your email address I'll be happy to send you the ones I have and, if I have remembered how it is done, instructions for converting other icons tomorrow.

I have never tried sending them to a GPS as I use GSAK. I have my doubts whether they would transfer to a GPS though

Edited by Just Roger