Hiding Disabled Caches in Map View

CacheCredit

I would like to nominate an enhancement to the map view. Just as there is a checkbox to hide from view your own caches and caches that you have already found. It seems to me that it might be nice to be able to hide caches that are currently disabled. There is already a unique icon for thise caches, so hopefully this addition would not be too difficult.

I think you meant "Aye." Mark me as a "Nay."

Disabled caches are included in search results and on maps intentionally in order to annoy people who get tired of seeing them. They can then put pressure on the owner to fix the problem, or even log a "Needs Archived."

For those who are annoyed, your premium membership allows you to view your pocket query results in the Geocaching.com Google maps. I exclude disabled caches from my pocket queries, so I don't see them when I'm looking at maps.

I'm all for the feature and have posted requesting it in the past. Just like anything else you ever ask for around here, there will always be someone that trys to tell you why you dont really need it, but hey, I thought this was the forum to make requests!

So yeah, I'm making enough progress here in San Diego that I now have areas that are nothing but 'disabled clouds'. Sure I can put pressure on the owners and all of that, but that doesnt really take care of the 'right now' issue with now being able to see past them because they are cluttering up the map.

The map already knows what they are, what is the harm in adding one more filter check box so I can see what I want to see, just like I can for other categories of caches?

So yeah, I'm making enough progress here in San Diego that I now have areas that are nothing but 'disabled clouds'. Sure I can put pressure on the owners and all of that, but that doesnt really take care of the 'right now' issue with now being able to see past them because they are cluttering up the map.

The map already knows what they are, what is the harm in adding one more filter check box so I can see what I want to see, just like I can for other categories of caches?

As "The Leprechauns" pointed out, premium members already have the ability to filter out these icons from the map, even though they are useful. However, like so many other things on the site, navigation there isn't necessarily the simplest.

Premium members can click on "Build Pocket Queries" from the "My Account" page, and then in any one of the pocket queries you have defined or you build (like "Near Home" or whatever), just select the "Is Active" option under the "That (and)" heading, below "Container Size" and click save. Return to the list and click on the second icon on the line in-question -- it should say "Preview in Google Maps" when you mouse-over the thing. Your map will now only include active caches.

Yeah, it's a little cumbersome, but like others have said I think it's more to better-enable the community to self-police. As we also know, many folks also don't log DNFs and some cache owners may not be the most responsive when their cache seems to turn-up missing. I think having those icons on-map helps light a fire under some folks butts... and, conversly, think that maybe we need to add archived caches back to the map/query page. :D

As "The Leprechauns" pointed out, premium members already have the ability to filter out these icons from the map, even though they are useful. However, like so many other things on the site, navigation there isn't necessarily the simplest.

Premium members can click on "Build Pocket Queries" from the "My Account" page, and then in any one of the pocket queries you have defined or you build (like "Near Home" or whatever), just select the "Is Active" option under the "That (and)" heading, below "Container Size" and click save. Return to the list and click on the second icon on the line in-question -- it should say "Preview in Google Maps" when you mouse-over the thing. Your map will now only include active caches.

Yeah, it's a little cumbersome, but like others have said I think it's more to better-enable the community to self-police. As we also know, many folks also don't log DNFs and some cache owners may not be the most responsive when their cache seems to turn-up missing. I think having those icons on-map helps light a fire under some folks butts... and, conversly, think that maybe we need to add archived caches back to the map/query page. :huh:

I am a premium member, and exactly as you said, doing that other process sucks. I'm trying to use the map to even build my bookmark lists (breaking the city into 'zones') and in some areas, all I have are clouds of disabled caches. Since I am a premium member, I have the ability, on the map, to check or uncheck boxes that make the map only show certain kinds of caches, or hide all the ones I've found or hidden. On this map, the disabled caches are already colored, so the map is aware that they are disabled, and all we are asking for is a checkbox.

If it is about self policing, then it isnt working. I'm finding caches that have been disabled for a year and are still there. Maybe the reviewers need a private list where they can see disabled caches in order of how long they have been disabled. That might help with one problem I've had in that when I request archive on a long disabled cache, the owner deletes my log!

I'm finding caches that have been disabled for a year and are still there.

Since I grew up in S.D., I occasionally see what going on in the area. I noticed TONS of disabled caches on the maps compared to here in thew PHX area.

Maybe I'm spoiled because our local reviewer is very proactive when it comes to disabled caches.

Don't see why another check-box can't be added. Many times I use the maps just to browse around the area...don't need to run a PQ. If you want to see them....they're there. If not, hit the check box.

Edited by PhxChem

I vote for having a checkbox to exclude disabled caches.

I also vote for having a checkbox to exclude those caches on one's ignore list.

I'll have to learn more about pocket queries I guess, but it doesn't sound simple.

It's easy enough for a cache reviewer to construct pocket queries to show them the caches that are disabled, and then to take action on the ones which have been disabled for a long time.

There is no *obligation*, however, for a volunteer to do this. If you'd like to change the look of your map, get the disabled caches to go away by logging a "needs archived" on the ones where prior maintenance requests have gone unheeded by the owner, and a reviewer has not yet stepped in to leave a note on the page.

Cache reviewers do receive copies of the "needs archived" logs and should respond to them.