60csx vs. CO 400

I have had the 60csx for two years now and love it. I was thinking about selling it and getting the CO 400. I have TOPO 2008 and some other software that I have collected over the years. I have read the people are really not happy with the CO. Should I stay with the 60csx or make the jump. or maybe the 300? I dont mind paying to upgrade my software, but I really want the best GPS on the market (i like toys) and I like the color screen. Was the CO released to early? have the bugs been worked out with firmware upgrades? Any thoughts? GRP

Hi grp318,

I am in the same position. My opinion is to wait till Garmin brings out better produced/inspected units and to keep the 60CSx anyway, selling it would be a grave mistake.

Same here - returned my 3rd 400t. Wait till the bugs are ironed out or the next unit comes out.

PS - I sold my 60scx for $180, tried out the 400T, and ended having to buy back the 60scx at full price.

I wanted to share my experience as a recent owner of the Colorado 300.

I am in no way trying to minimize the issues others have had, but my first day out geocaching with it was excellent.

I have a Vista HCX which I have been very happy with. Before going with the HCX, I tried it side by side with the 60csx. I didn't see any difference in accuracy or performance between the two. With no discernible difference, I made my decision based on price and form factor.

I was intrigued by the Colorado primarily for its convenience of its paperless cache features.

Today, I compared the Colorado V 2.5.1 side by side with the Vista HCX.

Using the Colorado solely to find the caches ( and comparing direction and distance to cache with the HCX AFTER the caches were found ) I found 15 caches with NO PROBLEMS.

The paperless features are outstanding.

The screen readability is similar to the HCX.

The accuracy was similar to the HCX.

As I said, I haven't had it but one day and I may find things that don't work. Also, I am using it only for geocaching so I can't comment on other issues which may be important to others. Maybe I just got lucky with the Unit I have and maybe the latest firmware is a big improvement over earlier versions.

But so far, I am pretty pleased.

I will report if anything changes.