what have i done just bought a satmap

I'd be interested to know what (if any) OS Map regions come with it (in the price). Biggest complaint about it is the fact we Memory Map PC users can't put our maps on it and have to buy them again.

When C5 Gadget show tested it they said it was of similar price to the other GPS's tested but failed to explain about buying maps.

Chris

I have put a number of posts up about satmap on this forum.

To reiterate;

Waterproof, will NOT run Memorymap. The maps which come on SD cards are about the same price as memorymap but can be transferred from one satmap to another. Battery life short. Think waterproof. Cannot load such programmes as cachemate. Only give British grid to eight places not ten.

I spoke at some length to the person behind this and felt it could become the ideal geocaching device at least in the UK. Alas not to be.

Beware rant coming on!!

I am fed up to the back teeth of the people who are fully aware of what is required to make an ideal hand held GPS but apparently are so short of vision come up with something far short of what todays technology makes possible. They then charge a massive amount of money for something that may half do it.

I can buy a laptop for £300 pounds for goodness sake but not a well thought out intuitive fairly bug free handheld GPS! at that price.

And that includes EVERY manufacturer going.

Added to that is the incomprehensibly high cost of OS mapping in this country. Ordnance Survey along with 50 years worth of rights was sold into private ownership for a song. And we dont half pay a price for that!

To put it even more bluntly our pastime opens us up to be ripped off time after time.

If you own a Satmap 10 and use it for geocaching I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

I have invested in a satmap 10 (for use in geocaching, walking and cycling)

However, as a newbie to both GPS and geocaching, I am unsure how best to use the Satmap for Geocaching. I am learning slowly...but the manual for the Satmap (even the downloadable one) isn't great.

Look forward to hearing your experiences of using this device for geocaching.

I am fed up to the back teeth of the people who are fully aware of what is required to make an ideal hand held GPS but apparently are so short of vision come up with something far short of what todays technology makes possible. They then charge a massive amount of money for something that may half do it.

I can buy a laptop for £300 pounds for goodness sake but not a well thought out intuitive fairly bug free handheld GPS! at that price.

And that includes EVERY manufacturer going.

I think you'll find GPSr's have been around for quite a bit longer than geocaching - and as hard as it may sound, geocachers are still probably in the minority when it comes to GPS users.....

Ordnance Survey along with 50 years worth of rights was sold into private ownership for a song. And we dont half pay a price for that!

When did that happen? The last I heard people were campaigning to get the mapping rights opened up - haven't heard anything about a government agency being sold off...??

To put it even more bluntly our pastime opens us up to be ripped off time after time.

When I started this you were lucky to get to use Memory Map in this country - let alone a handheld that would run software to go paperless.

Since when did your demands for increased convenience lead to manufacturers ripping us off? Are the car manufacturers ripping us off as well for only making autopilot available in prototypes?????

Ordnance Survey along with 50 years worth of rights was sold into private ownership for a song. And we dont half pay a price for that!

When did that happen? The last I heard people were campaigning to get the mapping rights opened up - haven't heard anything about a government agency being sold off...??

:laughing: Interesting, at my conference & tour at OS HQ in Southampton last thuesday they never mentioned it.

They changed from a Government department several years ago into a Trading Fund meaning that they have to at least break even. Which is fair enough as i'd be a little annoyed to discover than i'd be picking up the cost of them supplying you with cheap mapping. Still part of the government though!

Just received my new SatMap today. Very intuative controls and how to use brochure very comprehensive, even has a special page for Geocaching. I bought it with the extra accessory pack with Lipol Bat which was easy to install. Have downloaded the PC sync programme from SatMap and you can import .gpx files waypoints and manage routes. I have read a lot of negative reports on this but so far I seem to like it. I managed to get the whole package of SatMap, FULL GB 1.50 mapping and accessory pack for £488. Also being a mere old women I do not care about the techy side. It works for me. Now to go and get myself lost!