Starting a Junior High GeoCaching Club 08-09

Followers 0

Hi I am starting a Geocaching CLub at my Jr. High School next year (7th and 8th grade students). I would love any information that you may have about starting a club at school. Also if anyone hae funding ideas....I need help purchasing the GPS units.

If you are the sponsor of a club maybe we can have our students become "pen pals" of sorts too.....

I am really open to alot of ideas right now!

Thanks for any help!

I just received approval to offer a GPS / Geocaching option at our Junior High School. Just wondering if you know about any other schools who offer a program such as this

THanks

I started a program this year and am expanding it next year. The kids are very excited about it. They love being abvle to go outside during the day and do this stuff. Plus the few that are into Geocaching are really helping pump our new extracurriculer club for next year.

I did a geocache unit this year, for my personal experiences most kids were excited but 4/6 cache's that we hid we stolen before the unit was completed. I split the cost of 6 garmin etrex legends with the science teacher, as he used them for his class as well. gpsonsale.com they are $108 per unit.

I just ordered some materials for next year and now from cachingbox.com, so far their customer service sucks. not happy with them...i have been waiting on an email from them for 3 days tring to find out where my stuff is

I've been geocaching with my 8-yr-old son for a few months (we have 37 finds and one hide that disappeared). I told my high school students about it and some were excited, so I plan to start a club. The exciting thing about this club is that all our students go on a major trip once a year (and many go on other trips) so they can geocache as part of the experience. Fellow teachers (and one parent, who is a local GPS guru) have talked about making it part of our travel experiences as well. For example, in Mexico, 120 sophomores are divided into 10 groups and visit the same sites on different schedules over a 4-day period; the first group to visit a site could hide something for the others to find. Our district has 10 GPS units I can check out, plus our school owns four. I will have to find money for batteries, though. That will be expensive! I'll need kids from every grade level for this to work well.

My initial idea (to raise interest) is to put up signs around campus that have maps of various local neighborhoods with geocaches shown and ask cryptic questions like "Is this hidden near you?" "What is this?" "Can you find this?" In our first meeting, I plan to show them what I've done myself and start showing them how to use the GPS within my classroom (which is large, because it's a chemistry lab). Later we can create a series of caches around our school campus (virtual or traditional) and create a lesson plan that other teachers could use with their advisories during our 30-minute weekly advisory time (my club members would lead the activity). I've already picked the first location near school for an after school field trip: a large field with three easy caches. And since our school is big on community service, we'll have to plan a cache-in, trash-out activity with the service club (which, conveniently, I also sponsor).

Would it be cheating to have a log-in for geocaching.com that is a communal one for our club? That way all our adventures would be documented in one place, in addition to any individual log-in the student may set up. I think a goal of one joint event per quarter (besides meetings, as needed) would be a reasonable goal to shoot for. At our meetings we could do show-and-tell and learn new tricks. I'm sure my students will surpass my technological skills very quickly, so soon I'll be learning from them!

I'm also getting ready to start a geocaching club geared to our school's 5th through 8th graders and their families. We're calling it AfterSchool Adventures. It will be linked to the 5th grade study of local history as well as Maine history in general. We are partnering with our local library and historical society, our high school, and the community center. We're hoping to get help with funding and/or equipment from a nearby 4H Geotechnology Club. There must be grant options out there, as well. This seems like the type of project that various grantors would love to be involved with. I'll pass on any likely sources I come across. Perhaps others out there know of some, too.

Followers 0