weird incident with 60CSx

So I head to the lake to go fishing yesterday. I ran my GPSr for a while then I turned it off and put it up. Then I took it out and turned it back on. It would say acquiring satellites but would not show ANY satellites on the satellite page on the map or at the bottom AT ALL. So I repower it a few times and try it again later and still nothing. The version I had on it was 3.60 and 3.00. So I get home and it still won't work so I run Webupdater and it says there is a new chipset for it. I put it on and it works just like normal now. That is weird, I have no idea what happened. Maybe somehow my chipset dropped or got bumped. I have had it a few years and never had it do this.

The version I had on it was 3.60 and 3.00.

Did you have the unit display that before you ran the Webupdater, to verify that it was still there? IIRC, some who have experienced a similar problem have reported that the unit will show Version 0.00, I think for the chipset firmware, when it happens. It seems that somehow the firmware gets erased.

Did you have the unit display that before you ran the Webupdater, to verify that it was still there? IIRC, some who have experienced a similar problem have reported that the unit will show Version 0.00, I think for the chipset firmware, when it happens. It seems that somehow the firmware gets erased.

I didn't check it...I should have

I suspect that was me, since I reported here that was what happened to me during an Antarctic trip (among other strange weirdities with the barometric altimeter). I have had the blank satellite page under some other circumstances as well, though turning off and back on has always (to date) cured that problem. In each of those cases, the firmware version has been there, so there is something else going on.

But, due to the strange behavior of the barometric altimeter under certain circumstances that I encounter fairly often in my particular set of usages, I recommend strongly against getting the "S" versions of Garmin GPSRs.

I suspect that was me, since I reported here that was what happened to me during an Antarctic trip

Actually, I’ve seen multiple reports of it in a couple of forums.

I have had the blank satellite page under some other circumstances as well, though turning off and back on has always (to date) cured that problem. In each of those cases, the firmware version has been there, so there is something else going on.

That’s the first report I’ve seen of that. Maybe you have a defective unit.

But, due to the strange behavior of the barometric altimeter under certain circumstances that I encounter fairly often in my particular set of usages, I recommend strongly against getting the "S" versions of Garmin GPSRs.

Are those circumstances that typical users would often encounter? I skimmed some of what you posted about the trouble you had with it in Antarctica. While your complaint is probably valid, I don’t think most users are likely to go to Antarctica; and if they do it will be for a short, once-in-a-lifetime visit, and if their altimeter doesn’t work right while they’re there, they probably won’t lose any sleep over it.

Certainly there are a number of situations that will produce aberrant readings: opening a window in a car at highway speed, for example. Of course that will produce a rapid change in the displayed elevation. It’s just a natural limitation of the device, and anyone who is bothered by that should avoid the “S” models. But when used in typical outdoor conditions, mine seems to give good results.

I think my usage is probably pretty typical: I take my GPS and go hiking in the mountains. Under those conditions, the barometric altimeter in my 76CS always agreed well with points of known elevation.

If you feel that your experience justifies strongly recommending against getting the “S” versions, that is your prerogative. But there are many users like me who have found the barometric altimeter to work well, and who would disagree with your recommendation.

I had a similar experience with my Vista HCx last week.

The barometer suddenly started reading thousands of feet (18,000+ IIRC).

I tried the auto-calibration and it was right for a split second before again adding the 3+ miles.

I knew I was at ~193' based on previous readings and topo maps so I calibrated it to that. Again, worked for a minute and then went South on me (or North I guess since it went up).

I haven't really looked at it since then so I can't say if the problem is persistent.

I will add though that the Vista was side by side with a 60CSx that has shown none of the altimeter issues.

I had a similar experience with my Vista HCx last week.

The barometer suddenly started reading thousands of feet (18,000+ IIRC).

I tried the auto-calibration and it was right for a split second before again adding the 3+ miles.

I knew I was at ~193' based on previous readings and topo maps so I calibrated it to that. Again, worked for a minute and then went South on me (or North I guess since it went up).

I haven't really looked at it since then so I can't say if the problem is persistent.

I will add though that the Vista was side by side with a 60CSx that has shown none of the altimeter issues.

I believe the 60/76 series once had a similar problem. I think it was eventually fixed with a firmware update. I hope you will report this to Garmin.