GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit coming to Connecticut

Pofe

;) Mark your calendar! The Discovery Museum will host the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit from May 24th through September 1st, 2008

GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit - Discovery Museum

:) There will be an official event cache sponsored by Groundspeak at the Discovery Museum on June 14, 2008. Jeremy Irish and Shauna Maggs from Groundspeak will be there to meet and greet fellow cachers!

GPS Adventures Maze Event - June 14th!

:) This would be fun to attend whether you are an experienced cacher or new to the game!

I've gotta admit - the lure of a new icon, for an uncommon cache type, is nearly irresistible.. but the location isn't exactly close to home. For me the MapQuest driving instructions say its 200 miles / 2 hours away. With gas, tolls, museum entrance fees, etc this has the potential to be a costly caching trip - but I'll keep it in mind. I've added the cache to my watchist - perhaps a group will gather to convoy up for the event. Thanks Pofe for bringing it to our attention!

:D:D:D

I've gotta admit - the lure of a new icon, for an uncommon cache type, is nearly irresistible.. but the location isn't exactly close to home. For me the MapQuest driving instructions say its 200 miles / 2 hours away. With gas, tolls, museum entrance fees, etc this has the potential to be a costly caching trip - but I'll keep it in mind. I've added the cache to my watchist - perhaps a group will gather to convoy up for the event. Thanks Pofe for bringing it to our attention!

:D:D:D

It's free to get in if you go on June 14th, when the official event is being held. My directions (also from Middlesex County) go from the Turnpike to the GW Bridge to the Deegan to the Hutch to the Merritt, of which I believe only the first two are tolled and should cost about $11.55. The trip takes about two hours one-way and is a shade over 100 miles.

:D:P:D

It must be wrong. Bridgeport is about 40-50 miles from me and then it's about another 50-75 miles to most parts of Middlesex County, NJ. Still pretty far for you (and LOTS of tolls) but not 200 miles one way (and 200 miles in 2 hours? Do you have the police in your pocket? :D )

By the way, I think museum admission is free if you come on the 14th for the event if I read it right!

We'll be there!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

FYI, I still make the trip between where I live now (just north of Bridgeport) and Middlesex county (where all my family still is) pretty often. about 210 miles round trip. Time depends on traffic, with a best ever of around 90 minutes (late at night and yes I was speeding!) to a worst of 6hrs (Friday during rush hour with road construction and several accidents). Generally, I run NJ>CT via the GSP-Tapanzee-Merritt route, and run CT>NJ via I95-GWB-I78. Saves me a few bucks on tolls that way.

Make a weekend out of it! Get up there on Saturday, make the event, see the exhibit, do some caching, then head over to Mystic for a history lesson. Spend the night, check out the Mystic aquarium, then head home. The family will love you, you'll get a handful of smilies, and a new icon to boot!!!

:P-->

QUOTE(brian b @ May 17 2008, 04:34 PM) 3476750[/snapback]

Make a weekend out of it! Get up there on Saturday, make the event, see the exhibit, do some caching, then head over to Mystic for a history lesson. Spend the night, check out the Mystic aquarium, then head home. The family will love you, you'll get a handful of smilies, and a new icon to boot!!!

And if you don't want to/can't make an overnight/big road trip of it, the Maritime Center/Norwalk Aquarium is just a few miles back towards NY/NJ. One fascinating thing about the place is that every example of marine life there is one that theoretically is in some part of the Long Island Sound. There's also a zoo somewhere in Bridgeport called the Beardsley Zoo, though we've never been there so I don't know much about it.

While planning your day consider this,

The Great Outdoors Day Event at Hop Brook will run from 9:30 am – 4:00 pm.

Last years Hop Brook event was well attended and the hosts were superb.

The GPS Adventures Maze Event event will run from 11 am - 2 p.m.

Make your day a twofer and stop by Hop Brook before or after the GPS Advenrure Maze Event!

The Maritime Aquarium focuses on life above, on, and below the waterline of Long Island Sound and its surrounding watershed. They also have temporary/special exhibits focusing on life from further afield. There is an exhibit opening this weekend featuring an 8' albino alligator and a 150 lb. alligator snapping turtle along with an amphiuma. If you are into frogs, there is a wonderful little exhibit with lots of different frogs from around the world. For further information www.maritimeaquarium.org

LisaS

Assistant Director

Volunteer and Community Services

Edited by LisaS

:D:lol::D

It must be wrong. Bridgeport is about 40-50 miles from me and then it's about another 50-75 miles to most parts of Middlesex County, NJ. Still pretty far for you (and LOTS of tolls) but not 200 miles one way (and 200 miles in 2 hours? Do you have the police in your pocket? :o )

By the way, I think museum admission is free if you come on the 14th for the event if I read it right!

We'll be there!

You're correct - its 100 miles each way.. not 200. Even so -- its a haul!!

:D:o:lol:

It was all good! the maze was fun and was well done. A showcase that would hold up well anywhere.

I got my car (the one that is not a 4x4) locked in the parking at the museum (discovered this during the middle of a thunderstorm at 9PM.

The geocoins were cool (Jeremy signed mine!!)

I was asked for my autograph!

and the Groundspeak staff were fantastic.

overall a great weekend. I highly recommend the exhibit.