Planted first cache

You will receive complaints, pretty much regardless.
And that was my point. So the OP just needs to get used to it or quit hiding caches.

Every place I've worked, someone has received a compliant. No one is perfect. No process or product is perfect. There exists nothing I can think of that appeases everyone.

However, that doesn't stop folks from learning from the complaints and trying to make things better.

While it is true you can't please everyone, you make the product or service the best you can make it without compromising your own core values of yourself, your product, or your service. If you just throw up your hands and refuse to do the best you can do because you know you can't please everyone then you are doomed to never have as good a product or service as the person who refuses to quit trying to do better.

Unlike the real world GC.com forces equal "market share" for every cache: from the best to the worse. Imagine if GC.com went with something closer to the real world--however that scheme was implemented--and the least liked caches fell by the wayside. If folks had to create caches and had to compete with those caches in order to get a permanent spot on the Nearest Cache List would we be talking about how someone logs a cache on a trash-strewn dead-end road?

Just because you can't achieve perfection doesn't mean you shouldn't make a move towards that end of the scale.

And if you 'plant' caches that are not up to the standard that many cachers expect, you WILL recieve complaints. That's just a fact. The OP should learn to expect it. After all cachers are human and, right or wrong, they voice their disapointments.

I've placed 230+ caches over 7 years. The caches have generated thousands of logs, yet I don't recall one* serious complaint. A few jokes or good natured comments about mosquitoes, mud, terrain, thorns and the like, but nobody who was unhappy or disappointed with the experience.

Maybe people around here are just too nice to say something critical, or maybe if you put just a little thought into your caches you will consistently have happy finders.

(* = with the exception of a cache that was placed specifically to generate negative logs. There may be others but you'll have to go through the logs to find it. I don't recall one though.)

You missed the point completely. You folks were talking about how much he disliked the cache, had said as much, yet logged his find anyway. I pointed out that he "claimed his smilie" so he wouldn't have to look at it again and that was the only option available as he wasn't a paying member.

Additionally, I find that it sours my stomach that you folks want to shut folks up when one's opinion of a cache isn't that favorable, but don't mind glowing reports if it is positive.

Maybe I did miss the point.

Here is my point in different terms. His log was bitching. Nothing more, nothing less. The kind of bitching that is annoying and grating. It wasn't useful.

There is a difference between. "Dude, your car sucks" and "Dude, your car's thermostat is stuck open so there's no heat, the radio only gets static and your steering wheel vibrates like your ball joints are out. I didn't have much fun hanging on for dear life, in the cold, without a radio".

I'm having a hard time figuring out which of these two logs you would prefer over the other?

And if you 'plant' caches that are not up to the standard that many cachers expect, you WILL recieve complaints. That's just a fact. The OP should learn to expect it. After all cachers are human and, right or wrong, they voice their disapointments.
I've placed 230+ caches over 7 years. The caches have generated thousands of logs, yet I don't recall one* serious complaint. A few jokes or good natured comments about mosquitoes, mud, terrain, thorns and the like, but nobody who was unhappy or disappointed with the experience.

Maybe people around here are just too nice to say something critical, or maybe if you put just a little thought into your caches you will consistently have happy finders.

(* = with the exception of a cache that was placed specifically to generate negative logs. There may be others but you'll have to go through the logs to find it. I don't recall one though.)

I have a couple of theories about that; neither are pertainent to this thread and one would get me booted. Edited by sbell111

I have a couple of theories about that; neither are pertainent to this thread and one would get me booted.

Are you referring to that bogus story about how I've hunted down, harassed and broken the legs of anyone who was critical of my caches? Wait ''till I get my hands on the person who spread that around....

Having found 62 briansnat caches, I have no serious complaints. In fact, I hold them as my standard on how to hide a cache. Of course, I was dumb enough to try a 2/3.5 cache on my first outing (and I was hooked!)

And that was my point. So the OP just needs to get used to it or quit hiding caches.

Every place I've worked, someone has received a compliant. No one is perfect. No process or product is perfect. There exists nothing I can think of that appeases everyone.

However, that doesn't stop folks from learning from the complaints and trying to make things better.

While it is true you can't please everyone, you make the product or service the best you can make it without compromising your own core values of yourself, your product, or your service. If you just throw up your hands and refuse to do the best you can do because you know you can't please everyone then you are doomed to never have as good a product or service as the person who refuses to quit trying to do better.

Unlike the real world GC.com forces equal "market share" for every cache: from the best to the worse. Imagine if GC.com went with something closer to the real world--however that scheme was implemented--and the least liked caches fell by the wayside. If folks had to create caches and had to compete with those caches in order to get a permanent spot on the Nearest Cache List would we be talking about how someone logs a cache on a trash-strewn dead-end road?

Just because you can't achieve perfection doesn't mean you shouldn't make a move towards that end of the scale.

Exactly! Very well put.

I've received one, and it was on one of my best caches.

The cacher complained about the nettles the first he look for it. He complained about the poison ivy the second time. The thing is there were no nettles or poison ivy within 100 feet or more of the cache. He plugged the coords in wrong. That didn't stop him from complaining about the cache though. I knew the truth and so did everyone else the found and everyone that read the found it logs.

...I'm having a hard time figuring out which of these two logs you would prefer over the other?

Recently I got a log. "This is the worst cache I've found so far". Or thereabouts.

I emailed them feeling a bit snippy. They said its was because of the Stinging Nettle.

"This is the worst cache I've ever found the stinging nettle is blocking access from every direction and I got into it and suffered all the while cursing the cache owner" Would have been far more useful. Now I know the cache isn't broken. The nettle is a side effect of the location near a spring and all winter and spring the nettle isn't a problem and in the summer when fisherman start frequenting the area the nettle is natures way of keeping the muggles away.

I suggested they add that it was nettle to their log so others would know what they were talking about.

However you are right. The example of useful can also be done nicely and still say the cache sucks because of the nettle.

Seriously ask yourself if you would have liked to find a cache there?

El Diablo

Excellent question!

I usually phrase it, "If this was the first cache I found, would I have bothered to look for another?"

You can quote me on that. :laughing:

That's a great question that a lot of people should ask themselves! :D

I've learned to ignore all caches from people that hide caches that like. It takes awhile to ignore them all but it's worth it. If I don't like what they are serving then I'm certainly not going back for more. :laughing:

El Diablo

Excellent question!

I usually phrase it, "If this was the first cache I found, would I have bothered to look for another?"

You can quote me on that. :)

I've learned to ignore all caches from people that hide caches that like. It takes awhile to ignore them all but it's worth it. If I don't like what they are serving then I'm certainly not going back for more. :)

I pray that you, BS and CR ignore my caches if you are ever in the area. I simply don't feel like being bothered worrying if you will like them or not. Therefore, I don't think you should take the chance. Just assume that they are not for you and move along.

El Diablo

Excellent question!

I've learned to ignore all caches from people that hide caches that like. It takes awhile to ignore them all but it's worth it. If I don't like what they are serving then I'm certainly not going back for more. :)

I pray that you, BS and CR ignore my caches if you are ever in the area. I simply don't feel like being bothered worrying if you will like them or not. Therefore, I don't think you should take the chance. Just assume that they are not for you and move along.

Your two active hides must be real stinkers. :lol:

El Diablo

Excellent question!

True, I only have two active caches. I archived most of the rest after my accident, since I was unable to properly maintain them. The other multi was archived after it disappeared and was no longer viable due to a new subdivision encroaching on it's location.

The two remaining caches are totally and completely different from one another. Someone who likes one is definitely not guaranteed to like the other. TG, CR, and BS are not likely to enjoy either, so I'd just as soon they skip them. That way, I don't have to read about their angsty visits.

Edited by sbell111

El Diablo

Excellent question!

You can quote me on that. :D

That's a great question that a lot of people should ask themselves! :wub:

They are totally and completely different from one another. Someone who likes one is definitely not guaranteed to like the other. TG, CR, and BS are not likely to enjoy either, so I'd just as soon they skip them. That way, I don't have to read about their angsty visits.
First of all, I don't appreciate the backhanded comment. Anyhow, part of the reason I ignore those <ahem> caches is so I don't have to write something negative in my log. :)

El Diablo

Excellent question!

:lol:

I find that reply dripping with irony.

You are the same sbell that defends all cachers right to cache the way they want, the one that repeatedly posts that 'you don't have to find every cache, and the one the reminds us over and over that we can filter out the caches we don't like? How is that when your forum nemesis agrees to finally try your philosophy, you post something that sounds as though you are offended that they would do what you've been saying all along?

When I saw that you had posted here, and knowing what the last post made by TG said, I thought you would have gloated that, "That what I've always told you to do."

Color me baffled. :)

Perhaps we should make our ignore lists public. That way if we stumble upon a cache that we're not quite sure about we simply check to see if a cacher or two is ignoring it. Then we know.. not for me.

The question is.. would a cache owner take it personally if most of his caches all of a sudden had 100 ignore lists associated with them? :)

El Diablo

Excellent question!

:lol:

I find that reply dripping with irony.

You are the same sbell that defends all cachers right to cache the way they want, the one that repeatedly posts that 'you don't have to find every cache, and the one the reminds us over and over that we can filter out the caches we don't like? How is that when your forum nemesis agrees to finally try your philosophy, you post something that sounds as though you are offended that they would do what you've been saying all along?

When I saw that you had posted here, and knowing what the last post made by TG said, I thought you would have gloated that, "That what I've always told you to do."

Color me baffled. :)

Just consider it my attempt to help them identify caches that they need not bother hunting, especially when one of the caches is not too far from him. It's really my attempt to help him play the way he wants in a way that negatively effects no other players, including me.

If I asked for the ability to block him from my caches, that would be wrong. Simply advising him that he might not enjoy my caches, I have no issues with.

Edited by sbell111

Perhaps we should make our ignore lists public. That way if we stumble upon a cache that we're not quite sure about we simply check to see if a cacher or two is ignoring it. Then we know.. not for me.

The question is.. would a cache owner take it personally if most of his caches all of a sudden had 100 ignore lists associated with them? :)

The problem with that plan is that you have no idea why some random cache is being ignored by some random players.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think it's good idea.

I have some very good, very complex puzzle caches here in town on my ignore list. They are there not because they are bad caches but because I want them hidden from my PQ and so on. When and if I have the time you can bet I will work on them.

If another cachers saw them on my list they might miss a great cache.

The problem with that plan is that you have no idea why some random cache is being ignored by some random players.

Yeah, what he said. :D:)

Yeah, what he said. :D:)

I agree. You are better off just ignoring all caches from certain hiders. It doesn't take long to figure out who these folks are. The caches people hide show how they play the game. If you don't like playing that way then get rid of those caches by using the power of the ignore button. If you happen to hear about an exception, you can always go back and un-ignore a cache.

Then I would know I've done my job. Perhaps the hike is too far or the terrain is too high for the numbers crowd and they put it on their ignore list. Or else someone looked at the puzzle and say "No way will I ever solve this one". I'm particularly proud of the fact that Ventura_Kids (13846 finds) has found zero of my caches.

Perhaps the hike is too far or the terrain is too high for the numbers crowd and they put it on their ignore list. Or else someone looked at the puzzle and say "No way will I ever solve this one".
There is no need to to use the ignore feature for caches that you can easily filter out of your PQs. If you don't like high terrain caches then put terrain <2 in your PQ conditions. If you don't like puzzles then exclude mystery caches from your PQs. There is no way to filter out <ahem> caches by using PQs. So that's where the ignore feature comes in handy. Once you ignore the ones that you know about, all you have to do is to check that box in the PQ that says "do not include ignored caches." :) Edited by TrailGators

There is no need to to use the ignore feature for caches that you can easily filter out of your PQs. If you don't like high terrain caches then put terrain <2 in your PQ conditions. If you don't like puzzles then exclude mystery caches from your PQs. There is no way to filter out <ahem> caches by using PQs. So that's where the ignore feature comes in handy. Once you ignore the ones that you know about, all you have to do is to check that box in the PQ that says "do not include ignored caches." :)

Yup!

But an ignore list is not necessarily a "lame"cache list. In fact I have a puzzle I know some of you would love on my ignore list. While a simple little one (one that I have solved but haven't gone to find yet) is not on it. My list has more to do with controlling my PQs and 'nearest cache' features than listing 'bad' caches. Heck even one of our caches is on my list. It's hidden under my wife's account but I don't want it showing up on my lists all the time.

There is no need to to use the ignore feature for caches that you can easily filter out of your PQs. If you don't like high terrain caches then put terrain <2 in your PQ conditions. If you don't like puzzles then exclude mystery caches from your PQs. There is no way to filter out <ahem> caches by using PQs. So that's where the ignore feature comes in handy. Once you ignore the ones that you know about, all you have to do is to check that box in the PQ that says "do not include ignored caches." :)

Yup!

But an ignore list is not necessarily a "lame"cache list. In fact I have a puzzle I know some of you would love on my ignore list. While a simple little one (one that I have solved but haven't gone to find yet) is not on it. My list has more to do with controlling my PQs and 'nearest cache' features than listing 'bad' caches. Heck even one of our caches is on my list. It's hidden under my wife's account but I don't want it showing up on my lists all the time.

For me it is! :)

But seriously, I agree. It is needed for any cache that you can't easily filter out using PQs. :D

Edited by TrailGators

I have a couple of theories about that; neither are pertainent to this thread and one would get me booted.

Are you referring to that bogus story about how I've hunted down, harassed and broken the legs of anyone who was critical of my caches? Wait ''till I get my hands on the person who spread that around....

It's true ! :)

tami_wendell_ankle_x-ray_06-20-2006.jpg

And that was just for saying the log was damp. :)

Edited by Totem Clan

And that was just for saying the log was damp. :D

:)

El Diablo

Excellent question!

You can quote me on that. :wub:

I can tell by reading the logs that the "Great Caesar's Ghost Cipher" is a fun and creative cache and that I would probably enjoy solving and finding. :lol:

I don't know about the 26 micros (archived) that were put out because the cache went missing ... If they were still around, I would probably ignore them. :)

And that was just for saying the log was damp. :D

:)

:wub::lol::)

I have an 11 inch bolt and 16 pins in my left leg (but it was from another cacher)

El Diablo

Excellent question!

You can quote me on that. :wub:

I can tell by reading the logs that the "Great Caesar's Ghost Cipher" is a fun and creative cache and that I would probably enjoy solving and finding. :lol:

I don't know about the 26 micros (archived) that were put out because the cache went missing ... If they were still around, I would probably ignore them. :)

That was not the reason those micros were placed.

Your caches all sound so vanilla, briansnat -- can't you put in a little effort and find a spot with some old mattresses and broken glass, just for variety? :unsure:

And have, hence my posts above. I just didn't realise (having only done 31 finds and one hide) that complaining was a "done" thing (unless cache was damp/damaged/in a dangerous/really gross area).

So I was originally surprised/p'ed off until the other posters pointed out what was the norm with caching and what I could do on my cache description to fix the issue. And so I did.

And have, hence my posts above. I just didn't realise (having only done 31 finds and one hide) that complaining was a "done" thing (unless cache was damp/damaged/in a dangerous/really gross area).

So I was originally surprised/p'ed off until the other posters pointed out what was the norm with caching and what I could do on my cache description to fix the issue. And so I did.

From the logs that pretty much sounds like the cache area. :unsure:

For some people complaining is a way of life.

Without ever visiting your area, I can assume that if you browse the caches in your area, you are going find an amazing window to the world around you. You'll find caches that lead you to great views, some might offer an opportunity to learn unknown history, you may find a few camouflaged containers sitting invisibly right in plain site. In sum a secret road map to many cachers favorite places unfolds for you. The journey following that map will be filled with challenge, delight, and entertainment all generated by the energy of other players.

Now consider this same game that only offered park and grab caches like the one you put out. When you get there, you find trash, broken bottles, and are not sure that getting out of your car is safe. Is this a game that would survive?

If your cache placement doesn't pass the "would I like to find this cache" test. It is perfectly okay to not place one.

What, never been to Poughkeepsie? Some of the finest chef's in the world have trained there. :unsure: I've been there, but before geocaching existed, and I never thought of looking at the listings. Actually it's a rather cache deficient City. I only see two "just because there isn't a cache here" park-n-grabs within 5 miles of the City. It does look the the OP has found several of that type, but just not in the immediate area. I did find this one, within 3 miles from the OP's cache: Morse's code, a 2001 placement, and the only cache around for miles for years. Viewing the cache description, and looking at the gallery, it's a no-brainer that this is an outstanding geocache. Next time, why not try to emulate that, and not a roadside "just because there isn't a cache here" cache? I suspect there will never be a grumpy log for Morse's code. Unless someone posts one just to be funny. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, I was posting that at the same time as Bluepigninja's response to the thread.

Yes, it's quite controversial in these forums that some people have "expectations" when looking for a cache. Not me, to be totally honest, I would have studied Google Earth, and read the cache description, and clicked "ignore listing" (us premium members can do that :)), but I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to that.

Thank you for posting this cache. I am heading to the area in July and was looking for recommended caches to search for while in town. Placing caches like this on a Bookmark list would be handy for out-of-towners.

If I arrive at a dead-end, trashy cache location, even if I am within 30 ft of the cache and could practically touch it from the car... depending on my mood I will move on to the next cache or stop and find it. I found 20 caches in the last 11 days. I could have had another 15 easily if I hadn't skipped caches that were unappealing.

I added one cache to my WOW list. Burden of Beauty cache.

-Jennifer

I'm not sure what the norm is. Some people think the point of geocaching is to find caches (and anything interesting about the location is secondary) while others think the point of geocaching is to bring people to interesting places (and having a cache to find there is secondary). The people in the second group will often complain about caches placed by the people in the first group. The people in the first group seldom complain about caches placed by people in the second group (other than they aren't hiding enough caches). Sometimes people in the second group complain about caches placed by other people in the second group (because they have a different idea about what is interesting)

Another analogy

Some people think the point of eating a sundae is to eat the ice cream (the toppings, whipped cream, and maraschino cherry are secondary) while others think that with the toppings, whipped cream, and maraschino cherry you can't taste the ice cream anyhow so you might as well use the bargain brand. The people in the first group will often complain about sundaes made by the people in the second group. The people in the second group seldom complain about the sundaes made by people in the first group (other than they aren't using enough toppings and whipped cream). Sometime people in the first group will complain about sundaes made by other people in the first group (because they used the wrong flavored ice cream). :unsure:

From the logs that pretty much sounds like the cache area. :unsure:

IMO I would say the logs are incorrect if they make you think the cache area is really gross. ;)

(BUT: See log notes, cache description and "birds eye" view for specifics).

Edited by bluepigninjas

IMO I would say the logs are incorrect if they make you think the cache area is really gross. :unsure:

1.) Based on the logs, (note: I did not say log) the cache description and the Google Earth images it is just of the road, in an overgrown area that is in need of some CITO.

2.) No matter where you place a cache some cacher will complain about something sooner or later, even if that something has nothing to do with the cache itself. (See my post above. post #112) You have to learn to learn from it they have a point and don't worry about if they don't.

3.) You need to ask yourself why you placed this cache. If the cache is doing what placed it for then there is no problem. If not maybe it needs work.

IMO I would say the logs are incorrect if they make you think the cache area is really gross. :unsure:

1.) Based on the logs, (note: I did not say log) the cache description and the Google Earth images it is just of the road, in an overgrown area that is in need of some CITO.

2.) No matter where you place a cache some cacher will complain about something sooner or later, even if that something has nothing to do with the cache itself. (See my post above. post #112) You have to learn to learn from it they have a point and don't worry about if they don't.

3.) You need to ask yourself why you placed this cache. If the cache is doing what placed it for then there is no problem. If not maybe it needs work.

I agree. Logs are feedback. You can bury your head in the sand or you can listen to the feedback and adapt. It's the same thing as a restaurant serving food and half the people served the food spit it out or never come back to one of your other restaurants. A lot of people in these threads would say not to worry about the people spitting out the food because 50% did swallow it. Sorry but I don't think that way. If 10% of people are giving me negative feedback on one of my caches then I will listen. Nobody is perfect and we all understand that. That's why people shouldn't take things so personally. ;) Edited by TrailGators

I'm not sure what the norm is. Some people think the point of geocaching is to find caches (and anything interesting about the location is secondary) while others think the point of geocaching is to bring people to interesting places (and having a cache to find there is secondary). The people in the second group will often complain about caches placed by the people in the first group. The people in the first group seldom complain about caches placed by people in the second group (other than they aren't hiding enough caches). Sometimes people in the second group complain about caches placed by other people in the second group (because they have a different idea about what is interesting)

Another analogy

Some people think the point of eating a sundae is to eat the ice cream (the toppings, whipped cream, and maraschino cherry are secondary) while others think that with the toppings, whipped cream, and maraschino cherry you can't taste the ice cream anyhow so you might as well use the bargain brand. The people in the first group will often complain about sundaes made by the people in the second group. The people in the second group seldom complain about the sundaes made by people in the first group (other than they aren't using enough toppings and whipped cream). Sometime people in the first group will complain about sundaes made by other people in the first group (because they used the wrong flavored ice cream). :unsure:

I really like Vanilla ice cream, but if it starts tasting like Butter Scotch I'll spit it out. ;):)

Yep, some folks will just complain regardless.

Some of my caches have a required bushwhack of about .15 in dense forest underbrush. Even the parking area requires 4WD for access. This is all specified on the cache page.

Got a log that complained about having to bushwhack to get to the cache.

It was designed that way! The bushwhack was meant to be part of the experience. (Around here we have a sub-group of folks that enjoy forest bushwhacking).

There are a couple of finders in our area that are incredible swag hounds. They complain about almost every cache they visit not having swag that's good enough. Yet their logs usually say something like "took 5 LED flashlight, left slightly chipped shot glass". I always wonder how they can't see that they cause the very thing they complain about. :grin:

IMO I would say the logs are incorrect if they make you think the cache area is really gross. :huh:

1) You are correct and in my opinion, it would not qualify as "really gross". You disagree and that is fine. :grin: Moving on...

2) Right, yes, and you don't seem to understand that since my original post, I've posted how I understand now. I get it. I no longer worry about it. As other people have pointed out, I understood my original misconception, took people's advice and made adjustments to my cache. (See my various posts above).

Let me say one more time - I understand why I got the log entry, I don't have a problem with it any more, the forum told me the various reasons for it and I am happy (and have not removed it).

3) Then there is no problem.

Edited by bluepigninjas