Planted first cache

Update: I've replied to this thread replied further down and may have addressed some people's comments already.

Ok, so I planted my first cache. Not a scenic location, just a dead-end road in a city

I know it's nice to have a cool, pretty, thought-provoking location, but I've been to other caches just at some little-used location.

So I get this as my second log entry: "We didn't see much value to this cache other than a quick number as a park-and-grab. We were disappointed in this cache location."

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything a suggest it was a scenic location, and they could've checked out the cache on the map right? Or did I break a scenic-cache law??? :D

Edited by bluepigninjas

Were you expecting rave reviews? A cache and dash is a cache and dash. Hmm... I had a log deleted for saying something like that... :D

No. You should not be upset. Some cachers are honest, if annoying. But they have their right to their opinion. I was told that one of my cache locations smells at low tide. Oh, well. It's all part of life.

Ok, so I invited some friends over for ice cream. Didn't serve anything special. Just the generic store brand vanilla.

I know it's nice to have a cool, pretty, thought-provoking flavor, but I've been to other friends who just serve the generic store brand.

So I get this response from the friends I invited: "We didn't see much value to this ice cream other than a quick snack as a park-and-gulp. We were disappointed in this flavor ice cream."

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything to suggest I was serving Hagen-Dazs, and they could've checked out the description in the invitation? Or did I break a fancy ice cream law??? :D

No you didn't break any rules. Some people expect to be served Hagen-Dazs or whatever their favorite is all the time and are willing to express their unhappiness if they got something else. Other people are just happy to get some ice cream. :D

It's never fun when someone tells you that you have an ugly baby. :D

Reading their log, I can understand their disappointment. I really hate to see caches near broken bottles, trash, etc. I can understand your disappointment too, though. You've placed your first cache, you want to give back to the community and let people get a smiley. Whether they liked the location or not, they got their smiley and apparently considered the cache worthy of being logged.

Maybe the best thing to do now is give them a little something extra on the next one. Find a nice view, fun location, cool spot. Make lemonade from your lemons.

As for the cache page itself, stuff like, "Due to certain miserable, ungrateful cachers let me state again - this is a park-and-grab, sorry it's not bloody scenic!" isn't going to do much to win friends and influence people. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.....but then again you can catch the most with a dead squirrel.

Bret (owner of a brand new book of colloquialisms)

I know it's nice to have a cool, pretty, thought-provoking location, but I've been to other caches just at some little-used location.

"Some little-used location." Sounds innocent enough doesn't it?

The geocachers that have been around since the beginning would answer a resounding, "NO!"

Wow, luckily the guy who logged it got past his disgust long enough to get his smiley!

I can actually see both sides. You thought you had a unique location that others would appreciate. The cacher was expecting a location to take his girlfriend and enjoy the day.

There are a couple of options:

1. Teach that guy a lesson...and DELETE his log.

2. Think about why he was upset. Was the location a bit disgusting?

2a. Archive it and place it in a better location

2b. Don't archive it and expect more of the same in the future.

Would you want to find similar hides in similar areas? Let that guide you..

Seriously ask yourself if you would have liked to find a cache there?

El Diablo

Excellent question!

I usually phrase it, "If this was the first cache I found, would I have bothered to look for another?"

You can quote me on that. :D

Look, you definitly can't please everyone on this little rock we call earth. Just as the Cache finder projected his unhappiness to you about the cache, you did the same back. No real difference here. Keep it the same, change it, move it, hang a pretty picture on a tree near the spot - it don't matter we cant always hit a home run. Learn from it and move on.

Maybe its like my marriage - the first one sucked and was for practice, but the second time I got it "oh so right"!!!!!

Also regarding your, I assume modified cache description....calling other cachers miserable and ungrateful is not going to be productive. You might want to revisit that thought.

El Diablo

Doesn't seem like a good way to advertise the cache or make happy with other locals playing the game.. In our area there are quite a few caches advertised as NRV, meaning no redeeming value. The hiders state that right up front so there isn't any (valid) excuse for finders to complain about them. I certainly don't know if this hide is an NRV.

So I get this as my second log entry: "We didn't see much value to this cache other than a quick number as a park-and-grab. We were disappointed in this cache location."

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything a suggest it was a scenic location, and they could've checked out the cache on the map right? Or did I break a scenic-cache law???

Do you want honest feedback or do you want them to lie to you?

Me, when I run across a cache I don't like I simply don't log it. The problem with that is I'm not providing feedback. Judging from your reaction and the reaction of others who take offense of honest feedback I think that's what you want--either positive feedback or none at all.

So which is it?

Personally, I'd rather an honest log than a BS "TSFTC, SL" for a park-and-grab. At least they thought enough of it -- even if badly -- to post something more than the normal.

Get some thicker skin and let it go. I'd also personally take the added notes to your cache. In your local area I imagine that could hurt if there's a lot of close cachers who get along well. That and heck, look at it this way, at least someone is finding your cache.

Seriously ask yourself if you would have liked to find a cache there?

El Diablo

Excellent question!

I usually phrase it, "If this was the first cache I found, would I have bothered to look for another?"

You can quote me on that. :)

I'll remember that. ;) I've often pondered, if my first find was a film canister in a parking lot, would I have bothered to look for another? Not an issue, as people weren't hiding caches in parking lots or on trash-littered dead-end roads in my area when I started.

The geocaching.com tips for hiding your first geocache obviously hasn't changed in years, but I think it's an excellent document. It contains the oft-quoted text:

Ultimately you'll want to place a cache in a place that is unique in some way. The big reward for geocachers, other than finding the cache itself, is the location. A prime camping spot, great viewpoint, unusual location, etc. are all good places to hide a cache.

I'd hardly hide a cache on a dead-end road littered with assorted trash and mattresses if I'd read that first. I hope I'm not being as grumpy as that cache finder. :) Take it as constructive criticism, get a thicker skin and move on. And I agree with El Diablo, move on without that modified cache description, that certainly won't help matters. All just my opinion of course.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

If it's a dead end dive and potentially dangerous (rubbish, broken bottles, etc) then for my two penny worth it isn't a worthy location for a cache as unless the cache has a neon arrow over it saying I'm here, cachers may be caused unnecessary harm looking for the cache ......it also sounds as though there are periods of time when anti social behaviour may occur in this area! Sorry to see that you were so offended that you had to then be offensive in your cache page too! ;) (even more suprised mods haven't stepped in with a reprimand!)

Hiding the cache is the similar to inviting people to your home........

BTW you have 'apparently' been to some really fantastic locations, were they not an inspiration to you?

Pray you are happier with your next cache placement

Happy caching and best wishes :)

minxyy

"Due to certain miserable, ungrateful cachers let me state again - this is a park-and-grab, sorry it's not bloody scenic!"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The phrase "Pot calling the kettle black" is an idiom, used to accuse another speaker of hypocrisy, in that the speaker disparages the subject in a way that could equally be applied to him or her.

:)

So expressing an honest opinion is wrong? Not in my book. If I visit a cache which, in my opinion, is a really good one I write a complimentary log. Is that wrong too?

Reading the finder's complete log he explained why he found the cache disappointing. Why does a dislike of hunting for a cache among dirty mattresses and broken beer bottles make him miserable and ungrateful?

I suggest you try a little harder to find a worthwhile location for your second cache and I expect you will be pleased with the logs you get there.

Ok, so I planted my first cache. Not a scenic location, just a dead-end road in a city

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything a suggest it was a scenic location, and they could've checked out the cache on the map right? Or did I break a scenic-cache law??? :)

The reason you didn't quote the part of the log about the dirty mattresses and broken bottles is....???

Illegal Trash dumps and hobo camps usually aren't marked on the maps...

If you've come here for validation of a less than stellar hide, you're probably going to be disappointed.

I haven't looked at the cache description, so I'm only talking generally. It's all about expectation. If you have doubts that the location is going to appeal to everyone, then all you have to do is make it clear in the description so that the expectation is realistic.

Along the lines of "don't hunt this one if you're expecting a scenic location, or a point of great interest, or any great walk or adventure. I hid it because I happen to quite like the spot, but may well find nothing special about it.".

Then finders can hardly complain that there's nothing special when they get there: it's their fault if they failed to read the description. Some people will still be happy enough with the cache, even if it's just a convenient extra smiley when they're in the area anyway.

I'd still like to see the facility to categorise your cache so that cache seekers can limit searches to the type of thing they're interested in. A lot of complaints about quality are really complaints that the cache placer's inspiration doesn't meet with the cache seeker's requirement.

Ok, so I invited some friends over for ice cream. Didn't serve anything special. Just the generic store brand vanilla.

I know it's nice to have a cool, pretty, thought-provoking flavor, but I've been to other friends who just serve the generic store brand.

So I get this response from the friends I invited: "We didn't see much value to this ice cream other than a quick snack as a park-and-gulp. We were disappointed in this flavor ice cream."

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything to suggest I was serving Hagen-Dazs, and they could've checked out the description in the invitation? Or did I break a fancy ice cream law??? :)

No you didn't break any rules. Some people expect to be served Hagen-Dazs or whatever their favorite is all the time and are willing to express their unhappiness if they got something else. Other people are just happy to get some ice cream. ;)

I like it Mr. T!! I'd often picked apart the ice cream analogy, saying that all ice cream is not equal, other than the flavor. This ice cream seeker did not get Hagen-Dazs, he walked to the freezer in the back of Dollar Tree, and got a box of $1 ice cream! Actually, they have some pretty good stuff in the freezer in the back of Dollar Tree, I'll have to stop there and get some food and cache swag this weekend.

Not having visited the cache location, I'd have to say that finding a trashy dark alley certainly isn't MY idea of caching (others' ideals may vary). Finding that same dark alley while dangerous activity is going on could be a very bad experience for the finder...would you feel good leading your fellow cachers to this location and possibly into danger?

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything to suggest I was serving Hagen-Dazs, and they could've checked out the description in the invitation? Or did I break a fancy ice cream law??? :)

No you didn't break any rules. Some people expect to be served Hagen-Dazs or whatever their favorite is all the time and are willing to express their unhappiness if they got something else. Other people are just happy to get some ice cream. ;)

But what if there's broken glass and dirty needles in the ice cream?

We have a local cache that is in a similar spot. However, the owner took advantage of that to create a humorous hide. It's a bad location, not scenic (unless you count the freeway interchange), poor container, etc. The fun part is that you get to 'trash' the cache in your log. People have posted photos (with the owner's blessing) with arrows showing exactly where to find the cache.

There was even a humorous episode with someone who couldn't find it (CO says it should be a 1/2 star difficulty). :) He searched for a while and left. The next day, he stopped by again, and found post-it notes - from one of the nearby office workers, giving him helpful taunts! "It's over there." "You had your hand on it yesterday!" etc. How's that for embarrassing?

So really, it's what you make of the cache!

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything to suggest I was serving Hagen-Dazs, and they could've checked out the description in the invitation? Or did I break a fancy ice cream law??? ;)

No you didn't break any rules. Some people expect to be served Hagen-Dazs or whatever their favorite is all the time and are willing to express their unhappiness if they got something else. Other people are just happy to get some ice cream. :)

I like it Mr. T!! I'd often picked apart the ice cream analogy, saying that all ice cream is not equal, other than the flavor. This ice cream seeker did not get Hagen-Dazs, he walked to the freezer in the back of Dollar Tree, and got a box of $1 ice cream! Actually, they have some pretty good stuff in the freezer in the back of Dollar Tree, I'll have to stop there and get some food and cache swag this weekend.

I like ice cream. It tastes good, and it often serves as a useful analogy.

But on the whole, it makes for lousy swag. :)

Am I right to feel P'd-off? I didn't put anything a suggest it was a scenic location, and they could've checked out the cache on the map right? Or did I break a scenic-cache law??? :)

"Due to certain miserable, ungrateful cachers let me state again - this is a park-and-grab, sorry it's not bloody scenic!"

Pot calling the ketttle black?

You reap what you sow. You placed a cache in a trashy, nasty location. A geocacher posted an honest log about the condition found at ground zero. You take it personal by attacking him via the cache page narrative.

Real classy! ;)

Question for the OP. What if the "honest cacher" wrote a simple "found it" log, but posted multiple pictures of the local "scenery." The pictures highlighted the trash at ground zero. Would you still be mad?

Edited by Kit Fox
Question for the OP. What if the "honest cacher" wrote a simple "found it" log, but posted multiple pictures of the local "scenery." The pictures highlighted the trash at ground zero. Would you still be mad?

As an extension of this, when and if ever the favorites feature of this site ever comes into being, will folks get offended if their cache doesn't make it onto a list?

Without ever visiting your area, I can assume that if you browse the caches in your area, you are going find an amazing window to the world around you. You'll find caches that lead you to great views, some might offer an opportunity to learn unknown history, you may find a few camouflaged containers sitting invisibly right in plain site. In sum a secret road map to many cachers favorite places unfolds for you. The journey following that map will be filled with challenge, delight, and entertainment all generated by the energy of other players.

Now consider this same game that only offered park and grab caches like the one you put out. When you get there, you find trash, broken bottles, and are not sure that getting out of your car is safe. Is this a game that would survive?

If your cache placement doesn't pass the "would I like to find this cache" test. It is perfectly okay to not place one.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Logs are in part for feedback to the owner. Consider what the finder said. If you think there might be some validity to it, then learn from it. If the criticism is unwarranted, then just ignore it.

If you are going to be a cache owner you can't expect everybody to love your caches. You can't have a thin skin.

First, to the OP, don't let it bother you. Some people expect every cache to 'Wow!' them without them having to do any work. They then get cranky if they roll up on a cache that they didn't love.

In my mind, the definition of a good cache is one that the cache hider would enjoy finding. If you would like to find a cache like this one, so will other people.

This cache does not promise to be anything more than it is. If a geocacher wasn't interested in such a cache find, he could ignore the cache.

"Some little-used location." Sounds innocent enough doesn't it?

The geocachers that have been around since the beginning would answer a resounding, "NO!"

Who are these 'geocachers that have been around since the beginning' that you choose to speak for? Edited by sbell111

make sure your description shows it's a park and grab.

If it's literally around a bunch of trash, I'd consider moving it. Doesn't have to be scenic, but shouldn't be a dump. ( Just going by the finders log, he may have exaggerated, I don't know )

If it's truely not a great location, learn from that, sometimes bad criticism can be a good thing.

If it's not as bad as the finder made it out to be, then just ignore it, and move on.

Realisticly you'll never please everyone. Some folks love PnG's some detest them. No matter how amazing of a cache you place, someone will find it undesirable.

BUT, there are ways to help your cache, if the area is trashy, you'll get trashy logs, have your own cito day and cart all the junk to the dump. Your city will love you, the locals will love you, and your fellow cashers will love you. If it's not possible to cart it to the dump then at least move your cache a little ways away, go a block down the road so folks don't have to search through trash to find the treasure.

Be realistic in your expectations, you said yourself that it was not scenic or anything so why do you expect glowing logs?

The first cache I placed is in a park and the location is fairly easy to find, no real puzzler. My main goal was to place more caches and caches of substance in a small town that has few caches (my own town is choked with PnG's so theres not really any room for new placement) and being a quiet little park it can be great for everyone to stretch their legs and enjoy a pretty day, my main focus was NOT on keeping people stumped and spending forever doing the drunken bumbble bee dance trying to find the cache therefore I do not expect any logs saying "wow we finally found this, well hidden". I want the finder to enjoy the park, let their kids play, have a free restroom location and in general slow down and enjoy a cache of substance in a pretty little park.

You'll never please everyone but what you give is what you get. Give folks a trashy worrysome cache and they will give trashy worrysome logs.

Learn from this one and make the next one be better thought out.

Ok, it's the day after and I've calmed down :)

Thank you to Harry Dolphin, tozainamboku, CYBret, PhxChem, El Diablo, AKelvis, Trinity's Crew, WRASTRO, CoyoteRed, softball29, joranda, TeamGumbo, StarBrand, Happy Humphrey, Rockin Roddy and PJPeters for your comments.

I've removed the P'off commentary from the cache description as you are correct that it would never help the situation in any positive way. No, it wasn't classy, being p'd off never is. I did not, as one posted inferred, ever name anyone.

I think the revised cache description should also fix the problem in the future.

I've only done 31 caches and I've always been happy to find them wherever they were. Never really occured to me that people would have certain expectations and never entered my mind someone would be unhappy at finding a cache.

Yes, I have a second cache (which was really my first) coming up in a beautiful location, it's just been held up waiting for park permits and stickers.

TheWhiteUrkel, minxyy , The Hornet, SixDogTeam, Kit Fox - obviously I wouldn't put a cache in a dark back-alley, or among dangerous debris, so I've clarified the location in the description.

Also not sure how being p'd off was being hypocritical, but hey.

I guess it's all a learning experience.

Without ever visiting your area, I can assume that if you browse the caches in your area, you are going find an amazing window to the world around you. You'll find caches that lead you to great views, some might offer an opportunity to learn unknown history, you may find a few camouflaged containers sitting invisibly right in plain site. In sum a secret road map to many cachers favorite places unfolds for you. The journey following that map will be filled with challenge, delight, and entertainment all generated by the energy of other players.

Now consider this same game that only offered park and grab caches like the one you put out. When you get there, you find trash, broken bottles, and are not sure that getting out of your car is safe. Is this a game that would survive?

If your cache placement doesn't pass the "would I like to find this cache" test. It is perfectly okay to not place one.

What, never been to Poughkeepsie? Some of the finest chef's in the world have trained there. :) I've been there, but before geocaching existed, and I never thought of looking at the listings. Actually it's a rather cache deficient City. I only see two "just because there isn't a cache here" park-n-grabs within 5 miles of the City. It does look the the OP has found several of that type, but just not in the immediate area. I did find this one, within 3 miles from the OP's cache: Morse's code, a 2001 placement, and the only cache around for miles for years. Viewing the cache description, and looking at the gallery, it's a no-brainer that this is an outstanding geocache. Next time, why not try to emulate that, and not a roadside "just because there isn't a cache here" cache? I suspect there will never be a grumpy log for Morse's code. Unless someone posts one just to be funny. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, I was posting that at the same time as Bluepigninja's response to the thread.

Yes, it's quite controversial in these forums that some people have "expectations" when looking for a cache. Not me, to be totally honest, I would have studied Google Earth, and read the cache description, and clicked "ignore listing" (us premium members can do that :)), but I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to that.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

A log is what one cacher thought about their experience with your cache, or at least the part of it which they wanted to share. Nothing more, nothing less. Your two best options are to either take it as constructive criticism, or dismiss them as a crank. Either way, you should quickly move on to more pressing issue, such as finding more caches.

I've only done 31 caches and I've always been happy to find them wherever they were. Never really occured to me that people would have certain expectations and never entered my mind someone would be unhappy at finding a cache.

This thread might be interesting for you to come back at some later date. Your perspective will evolve with experience.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Next time, why not try to emulate that, and not a roadside "just because there isn't a cache here" cache?

Agreed. And I would think most people would.

Perhaps the OP could organize a CITO event as mentioned before. I still wouldn't search for it since my PQs filter out anything terrain 1.5 or less, but the hide would certainly be less obtrusive.

Also, no I wasn't expecting glowing log entries. I was just surprised to have people apparently upset and disappointed at a cache. I guess I've learned there's an implicit expectation about cache location and a need to be explicit if there is nothing special about the location, and I was expecting it to be the reverse.

Yes, it's quite controversial in these forums that some people have "expectations" when looking for a cache. Not me, to be totally honest, I would have studied Google Earth, and read the cache description, and clicked "ignore listing" (us premium members can do that :)), but I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to that.

I don't think you are in the minority but that is something that is impossible to prove. While it is easy to generally surmise how many people elect to go look for a cache, it is impossible to quantify how many put the cache on ignore or elected to pass on it.

As a hider, I'm fairly sensitive to input like this. If someone nicely told me that they would take the information that they gleaned from Google Earth and put my cache on ignore, I would make adjustments.

Also, no I wasn't expecting glowing log entries. I was just surprised to have people apparently upset and disappointed at a cache. I guess I've learned there's an implicit expectation about cache location and a need to be explicit if there is nothing special about the location, and I was expecting it to be the reverse.

I might add, you'll get a much more "conservative" perspective in these here forums. Funny, because I ain't no conservative. :) The majority of active geocachers run out and find every cache placed. Which would explain why there are 5 caches at the Middletown mall. Perhaps someone could squeeze in a 6th? ;)

I might add, you'll get a much more "conservative" perspective in these here forums. Funny, because I ain't no conservative. ;) The majority of active geocachers run out and find every cache placed. Which would explain why there are 5 caches at the Middletown mall. Perhaps someone could squeeze in a 6th? :)

That's really how I feel right now and my whole mindset why I put the cache there in the first place - you get to find another cache! :)

Update: I've replied to this thread replied further down and may have addressed some people's comments already.

You can't please everybody. Don't let this bother you.

The feedback in this thread and on your cache page should be an indicator that there are some great caches out there. These caches are popular because the hiders have put a lot into the planning and execution of them. The lesson to be learned here is when you can objectively draw the parallel to the feedback you are getting with the amount of effort that you expended on your hide. When your #2 cache comes out, you will see and feel the difference.

I might add, you'll get a much more "conservative" perspective in these here forums. Funny, because I ain't no conservative. ;) The majority of active geocachers run out and find every cache placed. Which would explain why there are 5 caches at the Middletown mall. Perhaps someone could squeeze in a 6th? :)

That's really how I feel right now and my whole mindset why I put the cache there in the first place - you get to find another cache! :)

This is not just a newbie feeling, and there are many who have this mindset. How do you think there are people with 10,000, 20,000, one even approaching 30,000 finds? As Team Geoblast said a post or two above this, "you can objectively draw the parallel to the feedback you are getting with the amount of effort that you expended on your hide". If this grumpy 2nd log never happened, maybe your cache would sit there for a year, and get 100 finds; but almost all the logs would be 5 words or less, along the lines of "quick grab, TFTC". Compare to the logs at Morse's code cache. I'm thinking the whole problem that finder had was the trashy area, which I see you say in the posted note isn't right at the actual cache site.