A Torrid Time With a Colorado 300

Right, I decided to upgrade my ancient Garmin Vista to a Colorado 300 for a trip to Canada.

To cut a long story short it appears to me to be the most unintuitive gizmo that has ever been inflicted on the planet.

I have all the recommend software but it refuses to update... it'll recognize the unit and downloads the latest firmware at which point it INSTANTLY says "failed" despite calling Garmin Support I've been unable resolve this. I'm on a Mac using 10.4.11 and Safari 3.04 and Garmin Webupdater 2.02

I've spent the last 2 odd weeks having to trial and error to see how the features work.

I wanted to track my morning run so I could see it on Google Earth. Its a complete mission to do this what with having to go to multiple pages to set/save things. When it finally started I realized that I couldn't get a distance moved. I think I have to 'reset' the odometer but ???? There are a number of other features that I'm still unable to workout/use!

But the thing that I find most worrying is its "inaccuracy" I crossed a road once one side to the other yet Google earth is showing I crossed it 3 times. Does the Automotive Profile make a difference? A number of other waypoints that I've taken at known points are worryingly off :D

All in I'm pretty hacked off with the Colorado... the Vista was FAR better.

Any ideas/thoughts greatly appreciated!

Bedouin

Your discussing too many things..... Personally, I find the unit fairly intuitive to use.

What firmware is in the unit NOW? This affects many things.

You should not need to "do" anything to record tracks. It is all automatic. You don't need to save anything.

To your last question.. Do you have detailed maps in the unit? Is "lock on road" on or off? The unit should be as accurate as anything unless you have a bad unit or some wrong setting.

Your discussing too many things..... Personally, I find the unit fairly intuitive to use.

What firmware is in the unit NOW? This affects many things.

You should not need to "do" anything to record tracks. It is all automatic. You don't need to save anything.

To your last question.. Do you have detailed maps in the unit? Is "lock on road" on or off? The unit should be as accurate as anything unless you have a bad unit or some wrong setting.

Hi, Red90...

Sorry, I've been out this afternoon and its been just so frustrating!

The unit is saying that its using firmware version 2.20 and the webupdater is showing that version 2.40 is ready for download. When I do this it D/L's fine but as I said fails instantly on trying to install.

>You should not need to "do" anything to record tracks. It is all automatic.

Thats kinda the problem I want to save a specific track i.e. my morning run route rather than a track of everywhere the Colorado has been... if that makes sense.

>Do you have detailed maps in the unit?

No, but thats going to be the subject of another post i.e. are they worth it as the base map is so "inaccurate"

>Is "lock on road" on or off?

I've seen this setting but can't seem to navigate back to it... can't find it :D

Cheers

Bedouin...

OK, you NEED to update the firmware. There is more broken than working with 2.20 A lot of early units were bad. If it has 2.20, it is really early.....

Your best bet is to find a PC to use and load the firmware directly. I would suggest loading firmware 2.51, see here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=010-00622-31

Basically, you need the firmware first, then see if that fixes your problems.

The Colorado 300 is a piece of junk. I am on my second one.

It takes forever to power on and get a signal. Every time you power it on, you have to reset the backlight.

In geocaching mode, it often hangs when it gets withing 25 meters of the cache.

It sucks batteries at an incredible rate. Alkalines that last over 20 hours in a 60CSx last less than 3 in the CO. NiMH are better.

The first unit I got, leaked in a rain storm. I had water on the batteries.

I have had the unit power off several times while walking down a trail.

I continue to use my 60CSx for Search & Rescue. I would never trust the CO to give me an accurate setting.

On a positive note, its paperless geocaching is pretty good. Although there are inconsistencies in the menus but that can be fixed with firmware.

Fortunately, my retailer has agreed to take back my replacement one if it leaks too.

I don't have any of those problems. Do you have the 2.51 firmware? If so, you have a bad unit.

- Start time and acquisition time is the same as my 60cx.

- Have never seen a hang with the current firmware.

- I get around 14 hours on Ni-MH. I got 20 with a 60cx. Less, but still acceptable.

- I've leak tested mine thoroughly. No water past the seals.

- Never seen a power off, again those sort of problems were fixed in 2.51.

Is is a whole new world caching versus a 60 series.

Edited by Red90

I don't have any of those problems. Do you have the 2.51 firmware? If so, you have a bad unit.

- I get around 14 hours on Ni-MH. I got 20 with a 60cx. Less, but still acceptable.

[/quote

you must have a super unit......I can't get more than 6 hours on 2700 Nimh and it shuts down at least 1 or 2 times per trip (running 2.51)

you must have a super unit......I can't get more than 6 hours on 2700 Nimh and it shuts down at least 1 or 2 times per trip (running 2.51)

I have a properly working unit. You need to return yours.

your probaly right but it's getting frustrating...........I'm on my fourth unit.............

I have a properly working unit. You need to return yours.

your probaly right but it's getting frustrating...........I'm on my fourth unit.............

Ouch, that hurts. Yeah, must be frustrating. I was lucky and got a great 400t when I bought it in January.

Hi all,

I've been reading all the Colorado-related threads with great interest for a while in anticipation of buying my own soon. I see lots of anecdotal references to serial numbers, as in "mine has such and such problems -- it is serial# xxx" or "mine works fine -- it is serial# yyy".

It seems like the general consensus is that some of the earliest shipped units seem to have a much higher frequency of problems reported, although it appears that many good units were shipped early, too. For instance, some have mentioned being one of the first to get one (such as in January) and have a unit that seems to function just fine.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has collated any of this data and figured out something like "starting with serial# zzz, it seems like all the hardware issues have been resolved". i.e. starting at some serial#, there seems to be hardly any problems reported for these later shipping units.

I guess I don't want to go through the same ordeal that many have reported with having to exchange their units (sometimes multiple times) before getting a good one. I want to just check the serial# right in the store, or in the case of an online order, call the merchant and ask them to identify the serial number for me, so that at least I will have decent odds of getting one of the later units.

Has anyone figured out roughly what serial# is the "threshold" for when the hardware issues got resolved? I'm particularly interested in the 300 model.

Thanks,

George

Has anyone figured out roughly what serial# is the "threshold" for when the hardware issues got resolved? I'm particularly interested in the 300 model.

I don't think so. To make matters worse, there was a nasty rumor that Garmin actually held up shipments (including replacements) for a while in order to retrofit their inventory to fix unspecified production problems. IF that actually happened, my guess would be that they did not change serial numbers. So there might now be early serial numbers which are perfectly fine. On the bright side, to judge from forum posts, most recent purchasers seem to be having better luck than earlier buyers. My advice would be to buy from an online retailer who moves a lot of stock. Perhaps somebody like GPSNow. REI is a popular brick and mortar outlet, but you can never tell how quickly inventory turns over in an individual store.

This would be a very hard thing to do because of what twolpert mentioned and also because the problems themselves are difficult to reproduce and in most cases the community (myself included!) is speculating that these are hardware problems that can't be fixed in software.

I think there are some very obvious cases like frequent hangs or freezes (assuming you are running 2.51) or very short (<5 hrs) battery life with NiMH batteries. In these cases you probably have bad hardware.

The other issues like position inaccuracy, fast timers and time of day being off at power on may or may not be related to hardware. My feeling is that the first and last probably are but the fast timer issue is probably a software hack to try to make one of the hardware issues "work better".

For a long time I thought my unit (a very early 400t) was a good unit. Several weeks ago I started seeing freezes on power up and the time of day issue. I'm not sure if it was caused by new firmware, warmer temps outside, different batteries, etc. However, this would be the concern I have with any early unit, it might work great today but what happens in 6 months when all of a sudden it doesn't?

GO$Rs

I am using 2.51.

I have two defective units. I had the first one replaced.

I agree that the paperless caching is great. But as I said, for search and rescue, the 60 is what I want.

I am using 2.51.

I have two defective units. I had the first one replaced.

I agree that the paperless caching is great. But as I said, for search and rescue, the 60 is what I want.

This seems to be the most common theme within the forums about the Colorado series. For Geocaching its great, but for serious navigation/data logging/reliability in tough conditions, you're better off with older models, at least for now.

"For geocaching its great"

Its a great idea in theory but in practice at the moment is not so great.

Hopefully that will quickly improve.

After three months of struggling with it have started going back to my pda and 60CSX for geocaching.

I agree most definitely that the 60csx is THE one I would trust well before the Colorado for "Mountain Rescue" type activities for many reasons.

About to return my 3rd 400T. I'm losing patience with this. I really want the 400T to work, but it's just not happening.

The thing that bothers me is that I can't help but think that someone has figured out what production runs are OK and which are giving problems. I'm jealous of those with accurate and fully functioning 400 and 300's - want to trade ? :D

Can we not start a serial number database ???

I second that idea!

I suggest something like this:

1) Have columns for serial#, f/w version, date purchased, and then separate columns for each known hardware problem.

2) The table would be sorted by the serial# column.

3) For each of the hardware problem columns, you could put: O = no problem, X = problem, blank = not known (not tested)

4) Probably need a separate table for each model (300, 400t, etc.)? Just guessing on this one -- I have no idea how the serial numbers are sequenced.

Then, ideally, this table would show in each problem column, many X's near the top of the table, then at some cut-off point (presumably when the problem got fixed), much fewer X's towards the bottom of the table. This way, we could kind of visually see if/when each hardware problem got corrected.

The firmware version column would just be for reference, because some of the hardware problems might be "fixed" or worked-around by firmware updates.

Date purchased would also just be for reference, too.

Does anyone else think that such a table would be useful?

George

I second that idea!

I suggest something like this:

1) Have columns for serial#, f/w version, date purchased, and then separate columns for each known hardware problem.

2) The table would be sorted by the serial# column.

3) For each of the hardware problem columns, you could put: O = no problem, X = problem, blank = not known (not tested)

4) Probably need a separate table for each model (300, 400t, etc.)? Just guessing on this one -- I have no idea how the serial numbers are sequenced.

Then, ideally, this table would show in each problem column, many X's near the top of the table, then at some cut-off point (presumably when the problem got fixed), much fewer X's towards the bottom of the table. This way, we could kind of visually see if/when each hardware problem got corrected.

The firmware version column would just be for reference, because some of the hardware problems might be "fixed" or worked-around by firmware updates.

Date purchased would also just be for reference, too.

Does anyone else think that such a table would be useful?

George

Absolutely!! I just don't web a address with forms or CGI, so I wouldn't be able to do it. Anyone else??

Your best bet is to find a PC to use and load the firmware directly. I would suggest loading firmware 2.51, see here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=010-00622-31

Basically, you need the firmware first, then see if that fixes your problems.

It feels a bit better but not much.... the accuracy is still way way off. I'm being told by the 300 12 meters yet Google maps is showing an erratic 25 to 35 meters out :D

I'm going to give Garmin support a call in the morning to see what they've got to say for themselves

Bedouin