Whats the deal with Garmin and CN 2009?

I contacted Garmin yesterday to inquire about the release of a full version of City Navigator 2009. I was told by the Garmin rep that, at this point, they really had no idea when the CN 2009 would by available for purchase. I then asked if I were to purchase an 08 version if I would receive the 2009 update for free. I was told I would not be able to receive the update for free. The reason I was given was because the price of the 2008 version had been significantly reduced and with price of the 2009 update added it would bring the total cost to the original cost of the 2008 disc. This person said that when the 2009 is eventually released, the price would be around $165. This is contrary to post I have read on this forum. I was under the impression that some had recently purchased the 2008 version and had then been given the 2009 update for free. Maybe this person had no idea what they were talking about, but I refuse to spend 165 on maps. With the info I was given, I will just be happy with CN 2008. Is this Garmin rep clueless or is me that does not have a clue?

I contacted Garmin yesterday to inquire about the release of a full version of City Navigator 2009. I was told by the Garmin rep that, at this point, they really had no idea when the CN 2009 would by available for purchase. I then asked if I were to purchase an 08 version if I would receive the 2009 update for free. I was told I would not be able to receive the update for free. The reason I was given was because the price of the 2008 version had been significantly reduced and with price of the 2009 update added it would bring the total cost to the original cost of the 2008 disc. This person said that when the 2009 is eventually released, the price would be around $165. This is contrary to post I have read on this forum. I was under the impression that some had recently purchased the 2008 version and had then been given the 2009 update for free. Maybe this person had no idea what they were talking about, but I refuse to spend 165 on maps. With the info I was given, I will just be happy with CN 2008. Is this Garmin rep clueless or is me that does not have a clue?

It would really surprise me if they raised the price on the CN 2009. The trend has been to lower the price as the usage of GPS units increases. I'd expect the price to be about $99.00 or less. But what do I know....

It would really surprise me if they raised the price on the CN 2009. The trend has been to lower the price as the usage of GPS units increases. I'd expect the price to be about $99.00 or less. But what do I know....

165.00 is quite a lot for CN 2009. I would not expect that price to hold very long, but my main rant is the lady said upgrades were in fact NOT free even if one had just recently purchased an outdated version

which, if I remember correctly, is contrary to what a few have posted on this forum. I would be curious to know if some have indeed received free upgrades to 2009 after having bought 2008. I suspect the Garmin rep was giving mis-information...............or maybe I am mis-informed, which is also quite possible.

I think if you purchase 2008 after the release of 2009 it makes sense. 2008 will be sold for a much lower price now that 2009 is out so everyone would just buy 2008 and upgrade for free if that were allowed.

The ones (like myself) that got the upgrade for free bought it within a set time frame before the release of 2009.

A buddy of mine ordered the full version from their website, for some reason 2008 shipped - they are sending him an upgrade DVD at no charge since he purchased from Garmin.

Edited by XopherN71

I bought CN NA NT 2008 and received it about a week ago. I had contacted Garmin previous to ordering it and was told that I'd get a free 2009 upgrade. I installed the CN NT 2008 and registered it and about a day later when I opened "My Garmin" I had a message saying that I had a free upgrade that I could download or order a free upgrade 2009 CD which would take 4 to 6 weeks to get. I downloded the upgrade with a special program Garmin had also downloaded which allows you to download the upgrade in several steps if necessary. I down loaded it in one piece and it took about 1.5 hours. I followed the instructions and the 2008 was upgraded to CN NA NT 2009. I loaded the whole CN NA NT 2009 on an SD chip about (1.1 Gig) I think and it works fine on my 400t. Garmin told me also that the full CN NA NT 2009 CD would be comming out but they had no scheduled date for it. I think he mentioned several months as a guess. In any event , I'd call Garmin again and make sure about the free upgrade. Ask to talk to a supervisor if necessary. The person I talked to did this on his own before telling me it would be a free 2009 upgrade. Sli23sli

I think if you purchase 2008 after the release of 2009 it makes sense. 2008 will be sold for a much lower price now that 2009 is out so everyone would just buy 2008 and upgrade for free if that were allowed.

The ones (like myself) that got the upgrade for free bought it within a set time frame before the release of 2009.

A buddy of mine ordered the full version from their website, for some reason 2008 shipped - they are sending him an upgrade DVD at no charge since he purchased from Garmin.

HMMM...... so the full version 2009 is available now? They told me it was not and did not know when it would become available. Oh well...........

I purchased and unlocked another new City Navigator North America NT 2008 full version last Friday (5/9/08). It’s one week later and the free update has not appeared on MyGarmin. Garmin has been experiencing major computer problems since 5/8/08. I’ve been on the phone every day this week with Garmin and it appears they can’t do anything until their computer issues are resolved. So far, no one has told me I can’t have the free update.

Edited by Cacheoholic
Garmin has been experiencing major computer problems since 5/8/08. I’ve been on the phone every day this week with Garmin and it appears they can’t do anything until their computer issues are resolved.

Imagine that! They put a 2 Gig download for CNNA 2009 NT that is bound to be extremely popular on their web site, offer as the only alternative a DVD which they will ship in the record time of 4 to 6 weeks for a hefty shipping and handling charge of $10 (which cynical me thinks they did to push people toward the download); and if that weren’t enough, they put a 30-day expiration on the download so that even if someone didn’t care about getting it immediately, Garmin created a sense of urgency about getting it. Now they’re having problems with their computer system. What a surprise! :) They have some real geniuses making decisions. ;)

I'm still working on Garmin for my free CNNA NT2009 update. I just received great news today in light of others commenting that Garmin has denied them the update. Here's part of the email I just received:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. This seems to be an issue on our end. Please reply back and let me know your mailing address and I will arrange to have the update DVD sent to you free of charge.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for your interest in Garmin.

Regards,"

:laughing:

I went to the Garmin website and logged into MyGarmin last night and noticed that It did not have my GPS or City Navigator 2008 NT ( bought last spring) associated with my account. I "registered my GPS and the City Navigator 2008 NT software under the MyGarmin account and when I clicked on the map updates, it displayed a message telling me that I qualify for the free upgrade.

I did download and install it on my computer, now I just have to go the the hassle of loading the updated maps on my 76CSX.

Edited by Wyldfyr