Geocaching Challenges in State Parks

I am looking for geocaching challenges that are state-wide in state parks and sponsored by/supported by the state's parks department. Have found a few (Minnesota, Indiana, and Kansas) and am searching for more. The goal is to put together a similar program for the parks in the state where I live and present it to the Commissioner of Parks and Wildlife. I need information in order to prepare a presentation that will demonstrate that this idea has been done elsewhere and was, hopefully, successful.

The Ohio State Parks Challenge runs every year from Memorial Day to Labor Day, this being the third year. Participants find listed geocaches in five or so parks, with anywhere from 3 to 5 caches per park. Many are nice long trail hikes and even multicaches. All are hidden by State Parks staff.

At each cache, the finder collects a clue that helps in finding the location of a final mystery cache. The first geocacher to find the final cache wins a prize. Last year it was a new GPS. After the contest, the nice folks at the Ohio State Parks host a camping event with free camp sites for all participants.

The program is successful and attracts more interest every year. I'm sure that the sponsors would be happy to speak with their counterparts in your state.

Utah has caches in a lot (maybe all of) it's State Parks. I just read about a group that found 17 on a trip. I've found them in 2 Parks here. At Willard Bay State Park I just found a 7 stage multi where the Parks had posted sign at various locations around the park on the trails along with other informational signs. The coords at each stage were on a metal printed sign. Each set of coords had a missing number so you had to read through the other posted info to fill in the missing number. ie. You had to read through the sign to find that on average an eagle lays 3 eggs or whatever and plug it into this missing spot for the coords.

here in NM, we just kicked off a series of 34 caches, one in each state park....the State Parks department actually approached us to create the series in celebration of their 75th Anniversary...

we started planning in December '07, had a kickoff of 32 parks on April 23, with a straggler on April 26 due to weather, and posted the last May 14, delayed due to fire...

when researching the project, we looked at what Utah and Colorado had done...Utah had just done a similar project for their 50th Anniv in 2007, and was a great model:

Utah's 50th Anniversary Geocaches

the Colorado site is giving me fits today, but im sure that if you google you can find info....

for us, the NM Parks supplied all of the ammo cans and schwag...they are giving away prizes, and have been promoting caching in New Mexico...local cachers worked with Park Rangers or Superintendents to place the cache...location was an initial concern for both parties, as the Parks wanted to protect the land, and cachers wanted to showcase the area....this turned out to be great, as not only did it help to build relationships with Park staff, but also got them involved in caching...

we would be happy to help with an other information or answers....just let us know....

below are a few links with info on our series:

New Mexico State Parks Launches Geocaching Challenge May 1

NM State Park Geocaching Flier

Info from NMGeocaching

Map / Info for caches

NMGeocaching Forum - Park Series

geocaching.com bookmark list