Accuracy

kidcobalt

I've been lurking for awhile and noticed there is some discussion now and then regarding coord accuracy.

Just found my first 3 caches and am hooked.

I'm slowly working up to placing my own cache and obviously I want the coords to be as accurate as possible. I'm using an etrex venture Cx.

What is the best method to ensure accuracy - Does this envolve the "averaging" mode? Do I leave my unit at the location for a specific period of time?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When I place a cache, I stand about 3 feet from the cache for about 30 seconds and mark it. Have never had complaints about bad coords. I have never been very far off of someone else's coords when hunting their cache either. If you mark it and come back later that day or the next day, you will probably be off your own coords.

Most important to let the unit sort of "settle" down. Wait about 10-15 minutes and then either take one reading or use the averaging for about 100 readings right on the cache if possible. Walk away about 100 feet and see if the point ets you back within 10 foot or so. Good enough.

I pretty much follow the same procedure as StarBrand, only I take an averaged reading for about five minutes (200-300 readings) at least three seperate times. I will often take readings on two or three seperate days as well. From the multiple readings, I can usually get a set of coordinates that I am pretty confident with. Some might consider that to be a bit of overkill, but so far I have had no complaints about my coordinates being off.

I use a mio 220. It dispays co-ords in the ##.##### format

(i dont know what its called , im kinda noob)

Any way I have placed about 20 caches and all i do is go to the screen where it displays the co-ord write it down, turn unit off than on, write new # and so on till I have about 7 or 8 co ords. They all obviusly start with the first 2 didgits, in my area N40.##### and W080.#####

I add all the numbers up and divide by how many sets i have. All my caches seem to be right on