WARNING! Trackables thief in Stockholm

dionaea & schizanthus

If you are planning to go to Stockholm, Sweden, in the near future please do NOT bring any trackables with you. There is currently a very peculiar thief loose in the city. He has stolen heaps of coins and TB:s and left a note in their place that says:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/4f6bd0...51620241d09.jpg

There is no possibility that an Everest climber could carry that much extra weight to 8700 m altitude. The note has to be bogus. The New Zealand travel company also denies knowledge of any swedish participants in the 2009 expedition. We are currently trying to save as many trackables as possible from the hands of this unusual thief, so please do not leave anything in Stockholm right now.

If you are planning to go to Stockholm, Sweden, in the near future please do NOT bring any trackables with you. There is currently a very peculiar thief loose in the city. He has stolen heaps of coins and TB:s and left a note in their place that says:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/4f6bd0...51620241d09.jpg

There is no possibility that an Everest climber could carry that much extra weight to 8700 m altitude. The note has to be bogus. The New Zealand travel company also denies knowledge of any swedish participants in the 2009 expedition. We are currently trying to save as many trackables as possible from the hands of this unusual thief, so please do not leave anything in Stockholm right now.

Whoever this person is, they have taken a LARGE number of coins, we're talking more than 30, and it's all happened in the last 2 to 3 weeks. Travel bugs seem to be a little safer, but coins are disappearing at an alarming rate :)

This really stinks! REALLY stinks!

Naomi :)

If you are planning to go to Stockholm, Sweden, in the near future please do NOT bring any trackables with you. There is currently a very peculiar thief loose in the city. He has stolen heaps of coins and TB:s and left a note in their place

Does he sign the logs of those caches he's visited? Has anyone tried to trace him?

Gandal

Any more news about this Stockholm thief?

;)

The thief is unfortunately still active :D There was a new round of thefts in late September, so the warning is still valid. Many local cachers keep track of the caches in Stockholm to pick up coins and TBs, but we still try to spread the word so that no coins or TBs are dropped in Stockholm caches. If anyone wants to drop off a coin in Stockholm, you could contact a local cacher or visit this "safe" cache Stockholm South GC and TB hotel.

Yes, the bad news are that the thefts have continued during the first weeks of January, 2009. Six geocoins and four TB:s have disappeared from four geocaches with a paper note left by the thief. (The note doesn't any longer say anything about a geocache at Mt. Everest.)

The thief operates in the greater Stockholm area, radius maybe 50-60 km, which includes Nynäshamn, Södertälje, Enköping and Arlanda. His primary goal is the geocoins, we believe that he steals TB:s only when they are in the same cache as a coin. In some cases the whole box is stolen, but when you find a note from the thief in a close-by cache at the same time, then you are sure of who has been there.

It is not easy to say how many trackables are stolen, as some caches may have been searched by "ordinary muggles". A quick estimate says at least 100 coins and 30 TB:s have been stolen by him as well as about 20 cache boxes.

We advise all geocachers visiting Sweden not to drop any geocoin in Stockholm less than 80 km from City. If you want to "get rid" of a coin, you are free to contact me. Indicate in which part of Stockholm you want to visit, and I will give you the name of a reliable geocacher in that area for a handover. And I certainly have some trackables that would like to go to your country, that I have picked up for safety reasons.

We advise all geocachers visiting Sweden not to drop any geocoin in Stockholm less than 80 km from City. If you want to "get rid" of a coin, you are free to contact me. Indicate in which part of Stockholm you want to visit, and I will give you the name of a reliable geocacher in that area for a handover. And I certainly have some trackables that would like to go to your country, that I have picked up for safety reasons.

Hi,

I'll be arriving to the Silja Line terminal (Värtahamnen?) in the morning and will probably be going through Norrmalm to the center and Gamla Stan. My agenda is mainly caching for the entire day, the ship back to Finland will leave around 17-18.

So trading in those areas during that time is possible.

Thanks for the warning - we shall be in Stockholm mid-March so we'll know to leave our TBs at home. If anyone wants to meet up and personally take them off our hands that's a different matter :laughing:

Are you there 14.3.? If locals can't meet up, let's exchange some TB's/GC's. I have at least one coin that wants to go to Birmingham and Oxford, you could take it a lot closer :laughing:

Thanks for the warning - we shall be in Stockholm mid-March so we'll know to leave our TBs at home. If anyone wants to meet up and personally take them off our hands that's a different matter :laughing:

Are you there 14.3.? If locals can't meet up, let's exchange some TB's/GC's. I have at least one coin that wants to go to Birmingham and Oxford, you could take it a lot closer :laughing:

Sounds great :P We will be there on the 14th so we can meet you for a drink sometime to swap. We're staying centrally in Stockholm. Send us an email :anibad:

Thanks again for your message!

Chizu

:unsure: oh no!!! when will this theif stop?

Non-caching hubby and I are going to be in Stockholm Sep 29-Oct 4 to watch the NHL games between Detroit and St. Louis and of course I have to do some caching. I was going to see if I could find a cache in the area of the Nordic Light Hotel to drop a coin in but now I'm rethinking my plans.

Joyce in St. Louis, Missouri

:blink: oh no!!! when will this theif stop?

Non-caching hubby and I are going to be in Stockholm Sep 29-Oct 4 to watch the NHL games between Detroit and St. Louis and of course I have to do some caching. I was going to see if I could find a cache in the area of the Nordic Light Hotel to drop a coin in but now I'm rethinking my plans.

Please make a post in the Swedish forum and ask to meet some geocachers and give the TB in person.

:D oh no!!! when will this theif stop?

Please make a post in the Swedish forum and ask to meet some geocachers and give the TB in person.

Sorry, can't speak Swedish and not a registered user so couldn't post there. I am going to mail to Mousekakat though for safety. Probably drop a pathtag in the TB hotel so if they strike, not much of a loss.

Sorry, can't speak Swedish and not a registered user so couldn't post there. I am going to mail to Mousekakat though for safety. Probably drop a pathtag in the TB hotel so if they strike, not much of a loss.

There is a Guestforum that you could make a post without be registerd user and ofcourse you can post in English.

http://www.geocaching.se/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

And click at "Nytt inlägg"

Welcome to Sweden by the way. :mad:

I've stumbled upon a few logs with notes of fast moving coins "so they're safe" from the "Stockholm coin napper"...

Last post here was over a year ago, is the thief still active?

It still seems risky to place coins in the Stockholm area. I think the problem is smaller since most cachers are more careful regarding coins.