GSAK and South African Provinces

DamhuisClan

Hi

I am looking at how feasible it would be to add South African provinces to "FindStatGen3.gsk", in GSAK, and would then allow the exports of provinces to the GC.com web site. I think I can do it, however I think there are two main problems,

Sample (using Canada):

http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedCa...?visited=ONQUAL

The two main problems:

1) World66 (www.world66.com) do not seem to have the provinces for South Africa. I have emailed them for confirmation, and said I would like to assist them to add the provinces if they are interested, and they do not assist.

As an alternative the maps could be hosted somewhere in SA (Can someone perhaps assist with this?)

2) I need some "Creative Commons" licence maps of the provinces in South Africa. So I can create the graphics for this. Does anyone know where I can get these?

Are there cachers out there that would be interested in this graphical map export for their stats?

Once it is working, then I will contact the creator of the original GSK makro, and ask him to include it for SA.

Please see the Findstats Beta thread starting about here

Custom Country maps have already started to take shape.

You may well be duplicating some things here, so it may be best if you check that thread out for building your map.

Edited by ClydeE

Thanks ClydeE!

The work done there looks great, and will post there soon.

I will attempt doing the African, and South African map.

However I am still looking for some maps I can base my design on. Any one here in SA know where I can get one without infringing on any copy rights?

Thanks ClydeE!

The work done there looks great, and will post there soon.

I will attempt doing the African, and South African map.

However I am still looking for some maps I can base my design on. Any one here in SA know where I can get one without infringing on any copy rights?

Hi Damhuisclan

I had one of SA handy which I had already sent to lignumaquanto test the requirements, posted in the referenced thread as well. Unfortunately can't help out with Africa, well not in a hurry.

Edited by GlobalRat

SA Maps loaded.

Caches that do not have provinces, all the archived one's, appear under "No Data". For some reason this has filled the sea green, chatting to lignumaquan to resolve.

Next question is the provincial flags. In the image below, you can see two examples of the provincial flags which I've pasted in at the correct size. As you can see, they pretty much become unviewable. Anyone have any suggestions what we could use as the provincial flags?

SAtest2.gif

I've edited my definition file to use abbreviations instead of full provincial names, however the definition file on GSAK forum uses the full names, will explain later once fixed.

Another

ectest.png

Edited by GlobalRat

Caches that do not have provinces, all the archived one's, appear under "No Data".

I've updated provinces on all the archived caches, so it should be OK now...?

Thanks Fish Eagle. Noticed you had been busy. When I last ran it (a week or so ago) there was still one outstanding which I changed in GSAK and locked but I'm sure you have fixed it by now.

Thanks again.

I've had a number of questions regarding getting the map loaded, it's all explained on the GSAK Forum, and you will find the required file FindStatGenMapSouthAfrica.dat there as well. Summary of key points below.

Download and save the file in the same directory as the macro (default is C:\GSAK\MACROS). The relevant macro is currently FindStatGen32Beta.gsk which you can download from the macro library at GSAK, if running version 7 there is a hyperlink in GSAK in the Run Macro command screen.

Execute the macro and select Options in the pop up window. In the Reports section you need to have selected Other Maps as one of your reports.

Below the Reports section click on the Maps button and you should see the South African map.

gsakmap.jpg

Edited by GlobalRat

Caches that do not have provinces, all the archived one's, appear under "No Data".

I've updated provinces on all the archived caches, so it should be OK now...?

Thanks Fish Eagle. Noticed you had been busy. When I last ran it (a week or so ago) there was still one outstanding which I changed in GSAK and locked but I'm sure you have fixed it by now.

Fish Eagle, here's one that slipped through the net GC118BA - Flying High

GSAK now also supports South African "Counties", which could be seen as the Municipal Districts, 52 in total.

The regions were sourced from the Municipal Demarcation Board website.

In GSAK, on the load dialog there is a County Update field. Put a Y in that field to up date the county field.

Other options are

u = update user data

2 = update user data 2

y = update county

b = only update if blank

f = set user flag, but only if updated

r = set user flag regardless

You have to be connected to the internet the first time you update, so that GSAK can get the files.

More info in GSAK help file: GetCounty()

GSAK now also supports South African "Counties", which could be seen as the Municipal Districts, 52 in total.

You have to be connected to the internet the first time you update, so that GSAK can get the files.

More info in GSAK help file: GetCounty()

Maybe I'm a little thick, but I can't get this to work. GSAK updates the counties for some of the European countries I've cached in, but the South African "counties" aren't updates. How do I do this?

Maybe I'm a little thick, but I can't get this to work. GSAK updates the counties for some of the European countries I've cached in, but the South African "counties" aren't updates. How do I do this?

Besem, GSAK 7.7.2.25 or later is needed, othewise no worky.

Edited by Jors

mmmm ;)

running 7.7.2.26 and have entered Y in the county update when loading a GPX file and am connected to the internet. No updates have occurred though, anything I'm missing in the process?

:D Nope, you are not missing anything.. I think?

I'm not sure why it is not working as it should, perhaps I should move the discussion to the GSAK forums for our questions to be answered ;)

In the meanwhile, I'll attempt a workaround using the GSAK (not-optimised) GetPolygon() function, which seems to work better than the (optimised) GetCounty() function. My guess is that the optimisation is messing things up a bit.

GSAK should have downloaded the 52 county polygons (*.txt) from the GSAK website, provided Y was in the county update box during the GPX/PQ's load process.

The polygons should have been placed be in the folder [Application data folder]\locations\counties\zaf\all_zaf\

Locate your [Application data folder] with GSAK folder finder, and make sure they're there.

Provided the download was successful and the polygons are where they should be, copy and paste the following macro code into Notepad and save as "RSA Counties.gsk"

Doubleclicking will install it as a macro in GSAK, which can then be run to update the database.

Remember to add the "County" column to make it visible.

#*******************************************
# MacDescription = Update RSA Counties (Municipal Districts)
# MacFileName = RSA Counties.gsk
# MacAuthor = You
# MacVersion=1.0
# MacUrl=
#*******************************************
$data=GetPolygon("yb","$_AppData\locations\counties\zaf\all_zaf\*.*")
MSGOK msg= Updated=$data  

This is working for me. :)

UPDATE:

It seems to be a 7.7.2.26 problem, 7.7.2.25 worked fine!

Stand by...

A question was posted on the GSAK forums here.

Edited by Jors

Ok I can see the counties now but is there an SA counties map for gsak like there is with the provinces.

I think I have just answered my own question as there is no SA-counties map available from the FindStatGen makro install page.

Or is it a work in progress. Having the information is OK but visualizing it on a map would be great!

Trev

Ok I can see the counties now but is there an SA counties map for gsak like there is with the provinces.

I think I have just answered my own question as there is no SA-counties map available from the FindStatGen makro install page.

Or is it a work in progress. Having the information is OK but visualizing it on a map would be great!

Trev

No map yet, but a work in progress. Let's see where it goes from here.

Trev

Trying to sort out some colours, making it similar to the province map, but here is an example: Link to Map

Trying to sort out some colours, making it similar to the province map, but here is an example: Link to Map

Nice work. Thanks for the effort. If I could offer some constructive criticism - the shading did not do it for me and it is hard to tell which color is which. I would rather prefer the exact same functionality as the provinces map - just shade the district 1 solid color if you have found any caches in it and show the number centred in the district. I realise this might be a problem with some of the smaller districts.

My R0.02 - but thanks again for the map as it is right now.

Trev

- the shading did not do it for me and it is hard to tell which color is which. I would rather prefer the exact same functionality as the provinces map - just shade the district 1 solid color if you have found any caches in it and show the number centred in the district. I realise this might be a problem with some of the smaller districts.

Trevor,

The number of finds centered in the district is not available on this and other County level maps, it is only available on State level maps for the exact reason mentioned, being the size of some districts.

I agree, the shading (especially the yellow to red) is not ideal but pink to red does look slightly better. I have not yet managed to get a solid colour fill without the colour legend. This might be a question for the FSG forum?

Please feel free to experiment with the map definition file, and let me know what you come up with.

Thanks for your feedback.