Recording finds while Caching as a group

I am still fairly new to Caching, but I have a question reguarding Caching with other people.

If I am out Caching with a group of people and a Cache is found, is it acceptable for everyone in the group to log a find, or is the person that actually found the Cache the only person that is supposed to log the find?

My thinking is that everyone in the group did not "find" the cache, but everyone participated in the hunt.

Is this something that is determined by the Cach owner?

I would rather not have smilies removed for not logging finds correctly, but it seems like the norm. is that every one gets a find for that Cache.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I hope this is posted in the correct spot.

Thanks in advance for your response.

I am still fairly new to Caching, but I have a question reguarding Caching with other people.

If I am out Caching with a group of people and a Cache is found, is it acceptable for everyone in the group to log a find, or is the person that actually found the Cache the only person that is supposed to log the find?

My thinking is that everyone in the group did not "find" the cache, but everyone participated in the hunt.

Is this something that is determined by the Cach owner?

I would rather not have smilies removed for not logging finds correctly, but it seems like the norm. is that every one gets a find for that Cache.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I hope this is posted in the correct spot.

Thanks in advance for your response.

See this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;hl=Group+hunt

if you were in the group that was looking you get your smiley.

To clarify RK's post-some groups of cachers play in different ways, and there seem to be some regional preferences as well.

Huckle-buckle-beanstalk/I'm going for coffee/and other terms-I've spotted the cache, and am going to sit quietly over here and watch you continue to search. Once I have moved away from it's location I'll say something silly to let you know this is the situation.

Three Muskateers All for one and one for all. Whoever finds it says found it/yahtzee/bingo/euraka/ooh shiney/whatever else comes to mind, pulls the cache out and either signs everyone in or passes the log around.

In some cases cachers may use a team name, apply stickers, or even pull out a custom rubber stamp.

Around here the 3M is more common, and with my crew we generally sign each other in. On a rare occasion we'll HBB, but normally not. We used to discuss it at the beginning of a caching day, but since we always chose 3M's we've even stopped discussing it.

There's all kinds of caches and all kinds of cachers out there.

Edited by wimseyguy

I very rarely cache with anyone else but have used the huckle buckle method or just all signed in. We all particiapted in the hunt after all. Usually are within a few feet of each other when the find is made. Often the team will spot it from a distance at about the same moment.

The general ethic seems to be that everyone who is in the group logs the find. I know when I go with my wife, sometimes she actually finds it, sometimes I do, but we both log the find. We're a team. A group hunt is just a larger team.

My personal ethic if I'm with a group is that I have to actively be involved in the hunt. If I'm coming up from the rear and the cache is already out and they are passing out the logbook, I won't log the find. If I'm chatting with someone while everyone else searches, I won't log the find. But if I'm actively participating in the search, I consider myself part of the team and I do log the find regardless of who actually uncovers it.

Edited by briansnat

I sometimes hunt with a group. Recently there were six of us out looking and at the first cache location we spread out fairly well. It was interesting the directions people were taking. I was the first to walk up the hill and start searching where the cache was. Soon the others joined me and it was one of the others that found the cache. I feel that I provided the general location and finding the specifics was a joint effort. Those who are not seeing it are participating and letting the others know where it's not :) So, yes, the individuals who sign the log are allowed to log the find. Hal