Russian Matryoshka Nesting Dolls (set of 3 nesting coins)

avroair

Really looking forward to seeing the samples on these. I'm not Russian, but I've loved Russian folk art all my life, and I own a set of Matryoshka dolls, as well as a few sets of other nesting dolls done in imitation of the originals. We'll probably want to get a couple of sets; sure glad we're on the Geoswag mailing list!

I think that you will be glad that you changed the name. While some Americans think that the rest of the world is just an extension of the States (I won't mention any prominent names, but you can probably figure out a few on your own :rolleyes:), most Yanks are not that obnoxious. We would rather know the real name for things, whether we use it or not. And as these geocoins are likely to travel outside the borders of the USA, they might as well be called by their actual name :blink:

Moustik...

D'un message précédent:

They are currently being minted and will be available on www.geoswag.com in late August.

There will be 100 nickel, 100 copper and 50 gold sets available. Not sure on price yet, but they will be sold as a set.

2" ~ 1.5" ~ 1"

As the Flipper's will be in transit (honeymoon-caching trip) the day these go on sale, we will miss this item, boo hoo........ we will be somewhere in between Singapore and London, depending on the time difference and the sale release :anibad:

will have to hope to see some in the wild one day.

Gayle & Mark

Russian Matryoshka Nesting Dolls

A matryoshka doll or a Russian nesting doll is a set of dolls of decreasing sizes placed one inside the other. A set of www.geoswag.com matryoshka geocoins consists of three coins which can be turned over to reveal another smaller geocoin of the same sort nested inside. It has, in turn, another figure inside. There are three nested geocoins in this set. The sizes of the coins are 2", 1.5" and 1". The dolls have semi-raised in-laid designs and translucent finishes. The tracking number for the set is engraved on the smallest doll.

Set: Three coin set

Sizes: 2", 1.5", 1"

Finishes:

50 gold

100 copper

100 nickel (will also be preordered)

Price: $16.97 ($17.97 XLE)

Trackable: YES, on smallest doll

Icon: YES, custom icon

They are up and now available: HERE

aca1bb51-39bd-41aa-a5e8-b5ab2ae103a2.jpg

wow, I've been waiting on these to be made available for months now it seems and they go on sale today and sell out before I get home from work and place my order... &^$^*%#%^*$*&O%#%

How many of these were made available again?

did one person buy them all?

I can't believe I missed out, for some strange reason I didn't even get an email notification from the vendor. I have always gotten one for everything else...

guess I'll have to look for trades...

wow, I've been waiting on these to be made available for months now it seems and they go on sale today and sell out before I get home from work and place my order... &^$^*%#%^*$*&O%#%

I can't believe I missed out, for some strange reason I didn't even get an email notification from the vendor. I have always gotten one for everything else...

They are still available...

They are still available...

Thanks, I see that now. I was reading that the gold was sold out when I ordered it, then I didn't check the quantity column when I tried to order the copper and nickle... I was still reading the info about the gold... my bad! :yikes:

oredr placed, can't wait!

Oh, well, I looked forward to these, but all the good ones are sold out already.

Why do coin makers even bother with such short runs?

What do you mean by good ones? The coins are exactly the same except for the metal finish. With these coins it's really hard to tell the difference so I don't understand what you mean by 'good ones'.

And in case you hadn't noticed coins sales have slowed. Coin makers are minting smaller runs because they don't want to get stuck with over half the run. :)

Oh, well, I looked forward to these, but all the good ones are sold out already.

Why do coin makers even bother with such short runs?

What do you mean by good ones? The coins are exactly the same except for the metal finish. With these coins it's really hard to tell the difference so I don't understand what you mean by 'good ones'.

And in case you hadn't noticed coins sales have slowed. Coin makers are minting smaller runs because they don't want to get stuck with over half the run. :)

I wanted one of the LE versions.

You would not know that coin sales have slowed based on the sales in these forums that sell out very quickly.

In this context, I think UncleJimbo's use of "good" refers to the rarity of the coin - only 50 of the XLE were minted, yes?

However, if the coins are exactly the same, then why the difference in price for the Gold ones? The increase, albiet a modest one, would imply that these coins are somewhat more valuable than the others, and therefore considered "good" ones. Also, when it comes to trading, I have read more than a few times in these forums that a coin is not a coin is not a coin. There are reasons SE, LE, and XLE are labelled as such, including but not limited to type of metal finish AND number minted. This is just my guess, as I am relatively new to these forums, but I don't think I many trades for SE, LE and XLE are initiated by stating: "That coin is exactly the same as the other coins, except for the metal finish!"

In this context, I think UncleJimbo's use of "good" refers to the rarity of the coin - only 50 of the XLE were minted, yes?

However, if the coins are exactly the same, then why the difference in price for the Gold ones? The increase, albiet a modest one, would imply that these coins are somewhat more valuable than the others, and therefore considered "good" ones.

The value is ascertained when the coin is labeled XLE and there are less minted. Hence, I guess I don't understand the statement that someone laments so few being made (hence an LE) when the 'good' ones have sold out because they are limited.

There was a time when 1500 coins would sell out in 5 minutes... then 1000... then 500... now, only popular designs can sell out 250 quickly. That is where I see sales slowing down... as far as more coins being produced, yes, that has spiked up.

The value is ascertained when the coin is labeled XLE and there are less minted. Hence, I guess I don't understand the statement that someone laments so few being made (hence an LE) when the 'good' ones have sold out because they are limited.

There was a time when 1500 coins would sell out in 5 minutes... then 1000... then 500... now, only popular designs can sell out 250 quickly. That is where I see sales slowing down... as far as more coins being produced, yes, that has spiked up.

I absolutely agree with you! I suspect the lament is due to the lack of opportunity to get an XLE or an LE, not that there are so few minted.

I was just perplexed by the initial response of "they are all the same except for the metal." By definition, XLE or LE ( or whatever) coins are NOT all the same. Perhaps the earlier statement was meant to assuage any negative feelings of missing out on something great, e.g. missing the XLE and LE and having to "settle" for the regular edition. The above explanation would have been more appropriate as to why XLE or LE editions sell out faster than others, in addition to your observations of declining sales overall.

We've been watching for these since they were first announced. We have cache with a Matryoshka nesting theme, so these will be a really nice adjunct to that cache.

We ordered four sets. One for each granddaughter, one for our collection, and one that we will activate and use for folks who find our cache to discover.

Limited editions are nice; various finishes are nice; our granddaughters wouldn't notice the difference. Some coins we have purchased in various finishes were difficult to distinguish after we had them in hand. If they hadn't been labeled, we might not have known which was antique silver or antique nickel. We just hope for an attractive coin in the standard finish.

Anyway, we're tickled that these are available now. Looking forward to receiving them.

I absolutely agree with you! I suspect the lament is due to the lack of opportunity to get an XLE or an LE, not that there are so few minted.

I was just perplexed by the initial response of "they are all the same except for the metal." By definition, XLE or LE ( or whatever) coins are NOT all the same. Perhaps the earlier statement was meant to assuage any negative feelings of missing out on something great, e.g. missing the XLE and LE and having to "settle" for the regular edition. The above explanation would have been more appropriate as to why XLE or LE editions sell out faster than others, in addition to your observations of declining sales overall.

I suspect you are correct, however, I always make the best looking finish the regular edition. For me, the nickel turned out to be the winner this time (celtic peacock it was the antique gold).

What I meant by same is ~ they look very similar (almost the same) the only difference was the minting run.

The nickel ones are still available on presale.

I did order some of the Nickels, and I am sure they look nice. I just wanted an LE because I like to collect the LE's. The LE's are "good" because they are limited, but it is all relative, and to me I would be happy with an LE (i.e., never minted again) even if 500 were made initially.

Cheers