Russian Matryoshka Nesting Dolls (set of 3 nesting coins)

avroair

Since the Babooska Doll thread has re-emerged, just wanted to give people a heads up on the Russian Doll project I have been working on independent (and unknowing about the previous one).

It is a three coin set where each Russian Doll nests into the larger one. Not sure on price yet.

The pic below is mint artwork, which is kinda hard to see.

a9ebfaf8-bc91-4497-afba-6a05614e3d2c.jpg

Since the Babooska Doll thread has re-emerged, just wanted to give people a heads up on the Russian Doll project I have been working on independent (and unknowing about the previous one).

It is a three coin set where each Russian Doll nests into the larger one. Not sure on price yet.

So, my understanding by looking at the picture, would be that they "attach" on the back :)

I've missed the thread on the other coin, but wow, you really turn out some great ideas. Love this.

So, my understanding by looking at the picture, would be that they "attach" on the back :D

Oops, that would work with the first 2 but I don't see where the third would go :)

OH, so far, they look good :)

My guess is that the grey bits are cut-outs and that the coins remain connected through magnetism.

So, my understanding by looking at the picture, would be that they "attach" on the back :D

Oops, that would work with the first 2 but I don't see where the third would go :)

OH, so far, they look good :)

Having been burned by the first set of Baboushkas I'm reluctant to look at these very closely.... but they sure are WAYYY better looking than the dutch version that defaulted after the pre-sales.

Can understand the burned thing totally, but... Avroair is a very trustworthy guy, so don't let what happened with that other person influence your thoughts on this one, Mark would never do what that other person did!

Naomi :)

Edited by Eartha

Having been burned by the first set of Baboushkas I'm reluctant to look at these very closely.... but they sure are WAYYY better looking than the dutch version that defaulted after the pre-sales.

Can understand the burned thing totally, but... Avroair is a very trustworthy guy, so don't let what happened with that other person influence your thoughts on this one, Mark would never do what that other person did!

I would bet that these will not be pre-sold. So when you order it, it will arrive a few days later!

Oh, I'm not calling Marc's honesty into question here.... it's the reminder of the failure of the previous Baboushka set that this design brings up. Past history aside this design is so much truer to the actual dolls of yesteryear and I do look forward to seeing how they turn out.

Cool coin idea. :)

I never heard of these dolls called "Babooshka" dolls before, only "Matryoshka" dolls.

Cool coin idea. :)

I never heard of these dolls called "Babooshka" dolls before, only "Matryoshka" dolls.

Yeah. I speak Russian fluently and "Babooshka" is a word meaning grandma. Matryoshka is the correct name for such a doll (also known as a nesting doll in English).

What the wiki says:

A matryoshka doll (Russian: матрёшка, Russian pronunciation: [mɐˈtrʲoʂkə]) or a Russian nested doll (also called a stacking doll or Babooshka doll) is a set of dolls of decreasing sizes placed one inside another. "Matryoshka" is a derivative of the Russian female first name "Matryona", which is traditionally associated with a fat, robust, batul Russian woman.

I would bet that these will not be pre-sold. So when you order it, it will arrive a few days later!

Yep, not doing a pre-sale, all my sales are coins in hand. :)

What the wiki says:

A matryoshka doll (Russian: матрёшка, Russian pronunciation: [mɐˈtrʲoʂkə]) or a Russian nested doll (also called a stacking doll or Babooshka doll) is a set of dolls of decreasing sizes placed one inside another. "Matryoshka" is a derivative of the Russian female first name "Matryona", which is traditionally associated with a fat, robust, batul Russian woman.

Hmmm... I guess "Babooshka doll" would be an American name as babooshka is Russian word that many non-Russian people know. However, I can tell you for sure that Matryoshka is the real Russian name for it.

What the wiki says:

Hmmm... I guess "Babooshka doll" would be an American name as babooshka is Russian word that many non-Russian people know. However, I can tell you for sure that Matryoshka is the real Russian name for it.

Yes, I speak Russian, too, and I never heard them called Babushka. I agree that "Babooshka Doll" is probably an Americanism (especially since Babushka is supposed to be spelled with a "u").

I originally quoted the Wiki, but Wikipedia is notorious for inaccuracies.

Edited by UncleJimbo

My Great Grandmother moved to America from Russia in the early 1890's. She had to pass through the gates at Ellis Island, which to me seems like a fairytale. She never spoke much English. One of my most cherished gifts from her is my matryoshka set. I was her first great grandchild so her set was given to me. It remains with my Grandmother for now. When I saw the other coin about a year ago I wanted one badly (still do), I'd also LOVE to have this set. (Maybe we can trade, one of my puzzle sets for yours!).

Last Christmas while shopping for my daughter, I went way overboard, I was at a craft show and a man was selling handpainted matryoshka sets. My eyes lit up from acorss the room and he called me over to him. He was a kind man, older than I, and somehow I felt akin to him. He asked me how I knew matryoshka. I told him about my set. I looked around and said I didn't see it among his. HE smiled, with a sort of wink and from below his table pulled out a well played with set. The smile on my face told him it was the same as the one I knew as a child. He told me that the style of the one I had known for a long time was the only one that was allowed to be made. I wish I could remember his whole explanation. He said that set was the one he would never sell. I bought a beautiful set form him for my own daughter, for when she is old enough. I think it's important to pass down pieces of your herritage, even if it's just a toy.

I like this coin avroair, thanks for making it!

We have a Matryoshka themed puzzle cache in south Jersey.

Matryoshka Rx

These coins would be a nice memento to add to our collection. Please let us know when they are ready.

Thanks very much.

PS

My grandmother wore a babushka which was a head scarf, not a doll.

I am changing the mint art to Matryoshka. :ph34r: