Garmin etrex Legend - okay for a newbie?

OneHeadlight

Hi! I'm completely new to this and haven't yet bought my own GPS unit. I just borrowed a Garmin eTrex Legend, but it doesn't seem very user friendly. I don't have the manual for it, but will download it and hopefully that will help. I'm concerned because the accuracy on the readout seems to vary quite a bit, but the best I've seen it is within 19 feet. Will that work for geocaching?

I'd like to use this for my first several finds before I decide to buy my own unit, but I don't want to get frustrated with this in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sarah

I still use mine for geocaching but if you are buying new you can do better.

The accuracy is fine, you'll find that a gps will only bring you to the approximate location. Interference from heavy tree cover or cliff walls are the things that will affect accuracy.

The General accuracy of all the handheld units is around 20 - 25 feet.

The Legend is a find unit but is getting to be a bit outdated in technology. I found my first 200 caches with one. It has only 8MB of memory, a b&w screen, serial connection to the computer and a weak anntena (compared to newer units). However, I still use it from time to time.

Expect to spend $130 or more (up to much much more!) to get an upgraded model with color screen, usb connections, long battery life and greater mapping capabilities.

Hi,

I found my first 75 or so caches with my old legend gps. In a way, I think it made me get better at using my eyeballs and developing geosense over following an arrow. So if you already have one, use it and enjoy. If you are buying new, collect/save a few more dollars and get a newer model. I recently purchased the Vista HCX and am very pleased with its performance over the legend. The legend now lives in my trunk for backup.

Enjoy,

Ray

Hi! I'm completely new to this and haven't yet bought my own GPS unit. I just borrowed a Garmin eTrex Legend, but it doesn't seem very user friendly. I don't have the manual for it, but will download it and hopefully that will help. I'm concerned because the accuracy on the readout seems to vary quite a bit, but the best I've seen it is within 19 feet. Will that work for geocaching?

I'd like to use this for my first several finds before I decide to buy my own unit, but I don't want to get frustrated with this in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sarah

The Legend was my first unit and it was a good one. It's outdated though. 19 feet accuracy is within the norm for any unit and good enough for geocaching.

It's actually one of the more user friendly units.

If you are buying though, I recommend something newer.

I am very happy with my Legend, I still use it for a variety of purposes. I too am very new to this sport/game & recently found my first cache with this unit. The GPSr said the cache was 1 foot away and it was dead on! It was so close it felt like I was cheating! I realize this was a bit unusual.

About being user friendly, I find my to be very understandable. I simply needed to use it a little bit and study the manual some. Another thing that was helpful was to have a friend using the same unit so that we could exchange tips, info etc.

Good Luck!

For not a lot more than you will pay for the Legend, you can get a Venture HC. It has a fast USB connection, the Legend uses ultra slow serial (and newer PCs don't come with serial ports), color display, the Legend is B/W, high sensitivity receiver, the Legend's reception is sketchy under trees, and 4 times the map memory of the Legend.

If you buy a Legend, unless you have an old PC you will need to shell out another 20-30 bucks for a serial to USB converter. Once you do that the price difference between a Legend and a Venture HC is only a few dollars.

I stared with a eTrex Legend. Great starter GPS. Compared to my Magellan, the Legend has a smaller screen, a little less reception, and uses up batteries too quick. I picked up a Magellan eXplorist 400 (white) for about the same price I paid for my Legend. The Magellan does have some draw backs. Can't zoom in as close. Buttons are a little confusing. There are too many options and folders in the menus. Port connetion on back has to be screwed on. Other than that I still use both from time to time. The Legend is a little easier to use as far as finding the next nearest cache. And there are less buttons to figure out.

Edited by Sparticus06