Finding out who is the land owner - any tricks?

Some larger cities have a property database on the Internet. For some you can look at a map view and click on the outline of that property to see the owner, and for some you search the site by address. For cities that don't have that, city halls will have a property tax office where you can look up owner information.

Good luck.

edit to add: Hmm, interesting that although I replied to a post it is somehow showing my post to be the first post.

Edited by steve p

Some larger cities have a property database on the Internet. For some you can look at a map view and click on the outline of that property to see the owner, and for some you search the site by address. For cities that don't have that, city halls will have a property tax office where you can look up owner information.

Good luck.

edit to add: Hmm, interesting that although I replied to a post it is somehow showing my post to be the first post.

Hmm... weird :) I was going to say the mapping office as well. The staff there are usually very friendly and willing to help in most cases. :)

I assume that no one lives on site, so you can't just go knock on the door? If so, then as others have said...

If you live in the US search for a GIS database (Geographic Information System) for the city/county you live in. Google "[county/city name] [state] GIS". A search for "Hamilton County TN GIS" gives the correct answer as the first result. If you do get lucky and find one then you'll probably have to play around a bit to figure out how to get the ownership information.

Sometimes asking a neighbor gets results, especially in a rural area.

The final stop is the county courthouse property tax division.

...edit to add: Hmm, interesting that although I replied to a post it is somehow showing my post to be the first post.

Strange, but you are/were not alone in having this happen to you! I noticed at least three threads, including this one, that appeared yesterday in the Geocaching Topics area that exhibited the same characteristics, that is, they bore a header and subtitle, but there was no "original post" from the person who started the thread. Since it happened three times in one day, I suspect it may not have been an error on the part of the persons starting the threads, but rather a system error at the Groundspeak forum server.