Logging your own event

Either you have reasons for logging more than once or reasons for not. Taking the stance of 1:1 takes plenty of heat by itself. I don't have the time or the interest of supporting one flavor of multiple logging over another.

Edit: in case I'm not clear, I am definitely talking about getting more than 1 stat per cache.

I don't see how this relates to the initial question I asked. These are two seperate and distinct issues. This is getting off-topic...

Edited by shearzone

I don't see how this relates to the initial question I asked. These are two seperate and distinct issues. This is getting off-topic...

I believe the answer is, quite simply, because that is how they choose to play the game.

Why do you log multiple 'attended' logs on the same event? Because that is how you choose to play the game.

Why do I not log any 'attended' logs on an event? Because that is how I choose to play the game.

michelle

Why do you log multiple 'attended' logs on the same event? Because that is how you choose to play the game.

As I said before, I didn't create the ongoing monthly event, but I have been to it on more than one occaision, so I am ok with logging it more than once, as long as those logs have different dates.

Why do I not log any 'attended' logs on an event? Because that is how I choose to play the game.

In all fairness, you haven't logged a single find with this account. Perhaps you started a second account so you can get that 'holier than thou' feeling on this issue with everyone else, and no one can call you on it.

I believe the answer is, quite simply, because that is how they choose to play the game.

I can see I started a topic that people are very passionate about. I suppose that I should satisfy myself with this answer...

Edited by shearzone

michelle

Hey, I think this is the first time I've seen you with an avatar that didn't show your... that wasn't featuring... um... where you were facing the camera.

Oh, and to stay on topic - people shouldn't really care how other folks log, or don't log, or show their butt in their avatar.

Oops.

I've log an attended with every cache event that I organized. But my final event will be my funeral. I'll attend it thats for sure, but probably won't be able to log and attended. So I go out 1 smiley short and I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Great post! :)

You might be one smiley short but the next cache is a mystery! :)

Edited by TrailGators

michelle

Interesting concept of a 'game'. Too bad that same concept couldn't be applied to a hockey game. Perhaps then if they played how they felt they should choose the game hockey would have more fights, more goals, and I wouldn't have had stayed up half the night watching Dallas win a few weeks ago. That is what separates a 'game' from a 'hobby'. Some view their statistics as a measuring stick against other cachers always striving to be on the top of the pile.

Others that don't really care about the numbers or making numbers runs and multi logging use the feature for themselves. If it were a true 'game' in the sense of the word the 'rules' or 'guidelines' would be equally enforced for all. Some bring up board games and such as justification. However, that falls flat when one considers the competitions that revolve around those very same games are restricted with rules all follow in the competition.

Which has always made me wonder if it's really not about the numbers and it obviously isn't really a game in the truest sense of the word why have the stats plastered public as if it were a game. It makes no sense at all.

In all fairness, you haven't logged a single find with this account. Perhaps you started a second account so you can get that 'holier than thou' feeling on this issue with everyone else, and no one can call you on it.

In all fairness, you have no clue as to what I have or haven't logged or HOW I have logged on this account. Just because I've prevented you from seeing it, doesn't mean they don't exist.

FYI, this is the account I've been actively playing on since 2003. When I reached 1k logged finds in September of 2005, I changed each and every one of my finds to notes, and continue to find and log caches as notes only.

But just to show you how much 'holier than thou' I actually am, of the caches I had found and logged up to that point, each and everyone of those caches found was an actual cache-container-with-logbook type of a hunt.

I did not then, nor do I now, log virtuals, earthcaches, events, or anything else that may not have a container with a signable log book at the end of a hunt. Going to a party, even if I have to use my GPS to find it, or throwing a party, even if others have to use a GPS to find it, doesn't equate to a 'cache find' for me - no matter how many times I go to the party... or throw one.

My rules for MY game are pretty black and white.

The key is that it is MY game.

michelle

Either you have reasons for logging more than once or reasons for not. Taking the stance of 1:1 takes plenty of heat by itself. I don't have the time or the interest of supporting one flavor of multiple logging over another.

Edit: in case I'm not clear, I am definitely talking about getting more than 1 stat per cache.

The point that I and other people have been trying to make is that there are a number of different ways that people log 'finds' (or 'attendeds'). Each person logs the way that they believe is appropriate. As long as the cache owners agree with their method, all is good. Logging your own event as 'attended' is generally accepted as fine, since the person did, indeed, attend the event.

As we've seen, some people log events in other ways. You have no problem logging event caches multiple times because the pages are being reused. Others stick fast to the 1 GC# = 1 find 'rule' and wouldn't multilog those pages. Some people don't log events as 'attended' because they don't want an event to increment their find count. Some people happily log temporary event caches, while others never would. Some people choose not to log any 'finds' or 'attendeds'. Others claim to only log a cache if they enjoyed the cache.

None of these varying methods truly affects anyone except the cache logger and the cache owner.

Edited by sbell111

Logging an attend on a event you hosted is getting more than one stat per cache - Logging several attends on an on-going event is getting more than one stat per cache.

I say you can't have your cache and eat it too...wait..you can't have you cake until the party starts...ah, forget it.

Either way you are willing to get more than one stat or you aren't. 'gal and others have already covered that part so I see no point in going over it again.

Edited by BlueDeuce

One stat per GC# or one find per GC# is an arbitrary rule made up by the puritans. There is no justification for such a rule. It seems that the puritans have adopted it because they think it is "the right thing" to do. The puritans continue to ask for changes to website that would prevent multiple finds from being made on one cache and prevent posting a find on a cache you have hidden. So far they have not made Jeremy budge one iota from his stand that the site will not enforce such a rule. The puritans see hope in Jeremy's statements that in some instances he finds multiple logs silly or stupid, and from the strange and unexplainable decision to allow only one visit be waymark WC# on Waymarking.com, but this seems to be misplaced when it comes to Jeremy's other statements and actions that indicate he would not make this change here.

Most people take the view that there are times when multiple logging or multiple credit are deserved and other times when it is not. Different people may draw the line in different places. Multiple credit is commonly accepted for

1. Found the cache and later adopted it (Get both a find and a hide)
  2. Find a grandfathered moving cache which was rehidden by someone else in between your finds

Accepted by many

1. Attend your own event
  2. Multiple attend a recurring event that uses the same GC#
  3. Finding multi or puzzle that has alternative solutions (rare)

Not as widely accepted, but still accepted by some

1. Logging attended for each temporary event cache found
  2. Logging find on a cache after you adopted it
  3. Logging a cache that has been move or changed significantly but reuses the existing cache page
  4. Logging a bonus smiley for finding a bonus cache or performing some other task
  5. Logging one's own challenge type cache
  6. Logging a find on a cache you hide jointly with someone else for which the other person receive the hide credit
  7. Logging one's own cache after it has been moved or modified is some way to be different from when you hid it.

Most people take the view that there are times when multiple logging or multiple credit are deserved and other times when it is not. Different people may draw the line in different places. Multiple credit is commonly accepted for

2. Find a grandfathered moving cache which was rehidden by someone else in between your finds

Accepted by many

1. Attend your own event

3. Logging a cache that has been move or changed significantly but reuses the existing cache page
  4. Logging a bonus smiley for finding a bonus cache or performing some other task
  6. Logging a find on a cache you hide jointly with someone else for which the other person receive the hide credit
  7. Logging one's own cache after it has been moved or modified is some way to be different from when you hid it.

Seems to be a fairly definitive list. Well said. I'd move "Logging one's own challenge" into the middle group, and call the third list "Generally frowned upon, but still accepted by some". Other than that, you've codified the general consensus.

One stat per GC# or one find per GC# is an arbitrary rule made up by the puritans.

Choosing, suggesting and instructing to log a cache only once is not an extremist position.

So far they have not made Jeremy budge one iota from his stand that the site will not enforce such a rule. The puritans see hope in Jeremy's statements that in some instances he finds multiple logs silly or stupid,

I never expected my position to be anything more than one person's opinion. Whether or not Jeremy agrees with me is strictly up to him. He did say that if the logging system is ever abused he would reconsider.

I completely support multiple logging, so please continue to log hardy me mate's.

And by the way, I'm not a puritan I'm a purist.

Accepted by many

1. Attend your own event

Here are where my personal lines are drawn based on your lists:

Found and then adopted the cache: Yep, done that and would do it again.

Grandfathered moving cache: Yep, done that and will do it again.

Attended own event: I would do that.

Different events/same GC numbers: I have done that and would do it again.

Alternative solution to a multi/puzzle: I likely would do that if the owner allows it.

Multiple Attended logs for temporary caches at an event: Nope, wouldn't do that.

Find after adoption: Yep, I have done that and would do it again.

Cache has moved or been modified: Yep, done that. Depends on what the owner says.

Bonus smiley for additional task: Not sure about this one, never run into the situation.

Logging own Challenge cache: Not sure, not likely to be an issue for me.

Logging a joint hide: I would do that, but only when I come back on a separate visit.

Own cache gets moved or modified: I wouldn't log a Find, but I have logged a DNF.

That's how I play and while I may find the logging practices of others to be cheesy they don't really bother me because the only numbers I care about are my own.