100 caches in a day - How?

I saw where someone found something like 100 caches in a day. How is it possible to do that ... unless they are just one after another along a short trail and simply placed under bushes just off the trail?

I spent a day caching in Boise, Idaho. I cached from 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., with about 75 minutes for dinner and 20 minutes buying more batteries for my GPS. I drove to areas where I could easily walk from cache to cache and I was lucky with 18 caches and 6 DNFs. How 100?

Yup..

Totally doable and I plan on getting there some day. I almost managed once but my caching buddy wore out after 12 hours. But we nailed 76. I could have easily picked up another 30 or so just along the route home.

Did better than 60 just this last weekend simply driving around Clear Lake (Northern CA) with the kids.

They too were up for more but we were at itt for 14 hours and we were a long way from home.

I was looking at the google maps yeaterday and noticed there were 35 caches in a square mile. In a 5 square mile there were close to 300. So it dosen't seem to hard to do. Now that's coming from someone that has cached for almost 7 years and only has 118 finds.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Planning - lots of planning.

Having a driver helps.

A willingness to walk away after a few minutes is nice.

Being part of a tema all looking at the same time helps.

Most importantly - a cache dense area.

I've personally known 2 different groups that did far more than 200 in a day

I recently asked a similar question, as I'm currently living in Boise and the max I have found in one day was 16 or 17. It seems if you have a team of adults, it's possible. The reason I asked was because one cacher had said they found 144 in Boise in one day. This person was caching with his/her kids. Well, within a few days, I found several of the ones this person claimed, and surprise, surprise, they had not signed the log for many of them. Some were signed, others not. Many were micros, so they had to have their own signing instrument.

How? Plenty of pre-hunt planning. Eliminate caches with recent DNFs, multis and high terrain. Solve any puzzles ahead of time. Learn the traffic patterns in the area and plan your route accordingly. Choose a cache rich area. Have a driver and navigator and go for it.

Some people have found 250+ in a 24 hour period. It can be done. It has been done,

I saw where someone found something like 100 caches in a day. How is it possible to do that ... unless they are just one after another along a short trail and simply placed under bushes just off the trail?

I spent a day caching in Boise, Idaho. I cached from 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., with about 75 minutes for dinner and 20 minutes buying more batteries for my GPS. I drove to areas where I could easily walk from cache to cache and I was lucky with 18 caches and 6 DNFs. How 100?

It's basically impossible without "micro-spew". There's an 8 mile stretch close to me with 85 caches in a strip of retail (on both sides of the street). Basically peope go from light pole to light pole. It's not difficult, but the challenge is in seeing how fast you can do it. Some peeps have done it in a half day. There are other clusters that get you to 120-130 in a full day. I plan on making this run to get from 900 to 999, then make 1000 a "significant" find. I'd rather never make it to 1000 than get 1000 on a light pole.

You need to go to somewhere like Porterville California.

7b514916-6320-4334-820f-6cc40befd322.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

My son and I did 36 in one day and we were thrilled. It was a long day and there was no pre-planning. We just went for everything we could in a particular area, including some evil hides and some mystery caches that could not be solved in advance. It was a great day. I wouldn't want to do a 100 cache day but it would be very doable in our area.

You need to go to somewhere like Porterville California.

7b514916-6320-4334-820f-6cc40befd322.jpg

We cache in Porterville almost every week, and we don't get 100 a day. :) But then, we aren't very agile either, LOL. (Besides, some of those caches on your map are ours)

Edited by DaFunkyFrogs

I have not done a 100 day yet, but have MANY 60-80 find days, and lots of people get 100 find days around here, the reason we don't is that we place the ones they find!

But it's not too hard to do if you travel to a place where you have not found any, or at least very many and just go hard all day.

It depends where they all are. If you have 10 in a 5 mile radius then easily. The Lepercauns got 44 in one day.

127 in one day, 4am to about midnight with a 1.5 hour drive to the dense town we had targeted. All log books signed and we threw in some interesting caches to break up the monotony. We had about 10 DNFs. But yes, most were mind numbing. But you gotta do it at least once to figure out if you like it or not, just another aspect of the game. How? Planning, paying close attention to previous logs and a good driver. Food on the run. Optimal number for the group, 3. One to drive, two to search and get the next couple of targets up on the laptop / GPS.

127 in one day, 4am to about midnight with a 1.5 hour drive to the dense town we had targeted. All log books signed and we threw in some interesting caches to break up the monotony. We had about 10 DNFs. But yes, most were mind numbing. But you gotta do it at least once to figure out if you like it or not, just another aspect of the game. How? Planning, paying close attention to previous logs and a good driver. Food on the run. Optimal number for the group, 3. One to drive, two to search and get the next couple of targets up on the laptop / GPS.

That's the best way to do it. :)

I am a newbie, and in Boise, ID also. I think the location is the key. 100 in a day in Boise I would think would be very tough if not impossible. But that is just my two cents.

25 in a day around here would be quite an accomplishment. Most I ever saw someone bag was 14. That's because most caches involve a good walk and the few park and grabs are spaced out pretty well.

Nashville, Jacksonville, Erie Pa and some other places, 25 would be just a warm-up and you can probably reach 100 before dinner if you start early enough.

I got 10 today (including my 100th!) and was stoked. Also had 4 DNFs and skipped a few that we thought we might not be in the mood for. A couple were good hikes, including one with a rated 4 terrain.

Had a blast. Couldn't imagine 100 in a day, but I'd like to do it at least once, just to do it. :)

It's basically impossible without "micro-spew". There's an 8 mile stretch close to me with 85 caches in a strip of retail (on both sides of the street). Basically peope go from light pole to light pole. It's not difficult, but the challenge is in seeing how fast you can do it. Some peeps have done it in a half day. There are other clusters that get you to 120-130 in a full day. I plan on making this run to get from 900 to 999, then make 1000 a "significant" find. I'd rather never make it to 1000 than get 1000 on a light pole.

Do you see the utter ridiculousness of that statement?!? You're willing to grab 99 lame skirt lifters to get to 999, but you've got to find something worthwhile for the milestone that you achieved with those lame skirt lifters? I have to ask, "Why?" Do you think that people will be checking your stats, and looking up to you because "ooooh!" you have such cool milestones, and never look any further to see the candy you stole from the baby to get there?

Please understand that my reply is NOT aimed at you as an individual, but at a way of thinking that I have also fallen prey to at times.

I am a newbie, and in Boise, ID also. I think the location is the key. 100 in a day in Boise I would think would be very tough if not impossible. But that is just my two cents.

Actually....

I'm planning on coming up to where you live to finally get my 100+ day :)

Your a better man than I am Gunga Din

So does the driver actually get out of the car to "find" the cache, or do the other two just sign the driver's name to the log?

I got 122 caches in one day on 22Mar08. There was a group of us that went out to see if we could do it. One person signed everyone on the log while we watched them do it. Usually the person to find the cache did the signing. The route was decided upon several days in advance. Our goal was 101 but we finished early and went after some extras.

As for comments or thoughts about number grabbing or how stupid we were to do it I was compelled to try it. I had read an article about a guy that claimed 105 in one day and I didn't think it was possible. My thought was that it might be possible to grab an average of 10 caches an hour under the right circumstances; which is 240 in a 24 hour period. That is to say that you find the cache, log it, and get to the next cache within 6 minutes. Traveling at 10 mph, with a load of caches placed close by, it should be a fairly easy enough to maintain that momentum; especially if you had several people with you helping you search for the caches.

Earlier this year I found a cacher that claims that he found 375 in one day. 375. He claims he did it all by himself, no group split up that went several different directions and logged everyone's name in the log; all alone, by himself. There is a group of four of us that will attempt to duplicate the feat this summer. We have found several patches of areas that are dense with caches and plan on caching on the way to/from these cache dense areas. We have compiled a list of 500 caches within a 20 mile forward operating area (AOR) that we will go after to see of we can do it. We will enter the AOR and setup at the first cache location, at midnight we will start the find, log it, and then move to the next location and finish at midnight the next night. We have two Tom Toms, four GPSrs, two coolers full of food and drinks. We have even mapped out bathrooms on the way from cache to cache for relief. I am sure that many cachers out there will point fingers and scream about number grabbing but so what? I have spent many days and nights planning this trip down to fine details, and guess what? I was caching the whole time. Geocaching is more than just running around and finding things to log, its planning trips, targeting a geocoin whos icon you want and then searching for it to discover it, hiding caches for others to find, solving puzzle caches with your best bro on the phone at 2am in the morning, or even discussing a new and interesting way to hide a cache with your spouse.

I have a friend who is homebound, he is very ill and will be that way for the rest of his life; he spends alot of his time just solving puzzle caches around the world. I've told him to email the cache owners and get permission to log them but he doesn't want to.

When it comes to geocaching there is a huge spectrum of possibilities. 1/1 LPCs all the way to 5/5 puzzles and I want to experience them all. Yes, I number grab and I solve and get some difficult puzzles. I have even hidden LPCs and created some difficult puzzles. Right now I am trying to get a cache a day for a year, that's 365 caches just to see if I can. We have a trio of retirees in the local area that hate puzzles and only want easy to find caches. There is another individual who only wants to find "quality" caches. All caches and caching attempts easily fit into the cacheverse.

<soapbox mode>

There is plenty of room for all the different varieties and types of people within this hobby and I can assure everyone in the forums there is nothing silly or idiotic about anything any cacher does as long as geocaching.com's guidelines are followed while they are doing it.

</soapbox mode>

-=7ofclubs=-

So does the driver actually get out of the car to "find" the cache, or do the other two just sign the driver's name to the log?

When we do it, everyone gets out and looks for the cache. :)

The big question is why? Are the numbers that important? This is the reason I get acronynms for logs instead of intelligent conversations. I prefer to enjoy the area .. find out why the person picked this place as a spot. I like to leave a good story both in the handwritten log and the online one. And I always try to take a few pictures for every cache I find. I like to spend at least an hour at the cache site and if I am hungry have a picnic there. Why would I wan't to blaze through 100 caches and not enjoy the areas I am visiting. To each his own .. but I have no motivation to waste the precious few caches in my area by spending 2 minutes at each one.

My record is 43 in one day with KBayNPapaBear doing Chippewa Valley last summer. That was caching 8AM to 10PM. We could have done more but 80% of the caches we DID do had terrain ratings of 3.5 and greater. As mentioned, the trick is density, planning and navigation. You have to employee some time limit before moving on to the next cache. We used the 10 minute rule. Bikes also helped on this trip.

Yes. If the car is parked right next to the hide, then no. We play by the "three musketeers" method, where if one finds the cache we all get to log it. "Hucklebuck' would be too tedious for a numbers run. 75% of the fun on such a run is the company.. some weird stuff ALWAYS happens, great memories.

Edited by Maingray

75% of the fun on such a run is the company.. some weird stuff ALWAYS happens, great memories.

Exactly!

Maybe 100% of the fun in my case.

All of my best caching memories and stories, and I have a lot of them, have come from cache runs with different groups.

I still enjoy geocaching, but if I never saw another geocache it wouldn't bother me. On the other hand losing the camaraderie of geocaching with others, the socialization online and at events and the excitement of a group cache run would leave a major hole in my life that no other activity I have ever done could replace.

I really have a hard time staying in the parking lot of walmart after I found and signed the log of the cache that was under the skirt of the lamp post. :D

Yes but one can stay and enjoy the wildlife in its natural habitat. Just make sure not to make any sudden moves ... and never ever feed them.

CIMG3338.jpg500x500_5_0_0.jpg

Edited by themeecer

Since the micro-proliferation is limited in my area, my top three or four best days (high- to mid-20s) have all come on event cache days, where I'd get up early and grab half a dozen on the way, go with a group to cache through the park at the event, and take the long way home to get a few more at the end of the day.

I am sure that many cachers out there will point fingers and scream about number grabbing but so what? I have spent many days and nights planning this trip down to fine details, and guess what? I was caching the whole time. Geocaching is more than just running around and finding things to log, its planning trips, targeting a geocoin whos icon you want and then searching for it to discover it, hiding caches for others to find, solving puzzle caches with your best bro on the phone at 2am in the morning, or even discussing a new and interesting way to hide a cache with your spouse.

When it comes to geocaching there is a huge spectrum of possibilities. 1/1 LPCs all the way to 5/5 puzzles and I want to experience them all. Yes, I number grab and I solve and get some difficult puzzles. I have even hidden LPCs and created some difficult puzzles. Right now I am trying to get a cache a day for a year, that's 365 caches just to see if I can. We have a trio of retirees in the local area that hate puzzles and only want easy to find caches. There is another individual who only wants to find "quality" caches. All caches and caching attempts easily fit into the cacheverse.

<soapbox mode>

There is plenty of room for all the different varieties and types of people within this hobby and I can assure everyone in the forums there is nothing silly or idiotic about anything any cacher does as long as geocaching.com's guidelines are followed while they are doing it.

</soapbox mode>

-=7ofclubs=-

Are you my twin? Scary. :D

The big question is why?

Actually, the question is, "Why not?"

Why did the man climb the mountain?

Because it was there.

And you can be sure, there were those who thought he was nuts.

-David

The big question is why?

Because it was there.

-David

However, don't you think the man climbing the mountain spent a little time at the peak to enjoy it?

To each their own, but I have seen some posters cop a superior attitude on here because of their numbers and denounce others ideas simply because they didn't have as many finds under their name. This always gives me a chuckle; they feel superior because they are good at finding lost tupperware really fast.

25 in a day around here would be quite an accomplishment. Most I ever saw someone bag was 14. That's because most caches involve a good walk and the few park and grabs are spaced out pretty well.

We find that it's faster to grab 8 to 10 caches in the woods if they're 1/10 to 1/4 mile apart rather than drive to the same number of park and grabs.

That said, if the goal is 100+, keeping caches to park and grabs and very short walks, under 250' is probably the best bet.

I enjoyed reading those last posts by Maingray and TheAlabamaRambler as they sum up my experience with numbers runs. Hanging out with other like-minded people as we go from light pole to bridge to bush and then on to another light pole is why I do it. There is always lots of laughing and joking around and no matter how pointless the caches are, we always manage to have fun. It wouldn't be fun if I did it every day but once in a while it's a blast. Doing a numbers run by myself gets tiring and tedious very quickly. I'd rather do a big hike to a remote location and just find a couple of caches on the way.

Planning and location are the two biggest factors for finding large numbers.

At the location I'm playing on staying for Geowoodstock VI there are 200 caches within a 2.5 mile radius. Its hard to believe that it's even physically possible to have such a high cache density.

The big question is why?

Because it was there.

-David

However, don't you think the man climbing the mountain spent a little time at the peak to enjoy it?

To each their own, but I have seen some posters cop a superior attitude on here because of their numbers and denounce others ideas simply because they didn't have as many finds under their name. This always gives me a chuckle; they feel superior because they are good at finding lost tupperware really fast.

That is certainly a fair question. To answer, I would point you back to the 7ofclubs post that I also quoted. He is enjoying the entire experience to get 100 finds in a day.

I don't feel superior because of my numbers. I would encourage you not to try to find 100 in a day because I don't think you want to. As you said, to each his own. There's something in this game for all of us.

-David

The big question is why?

Because it was there.

-David

I'm sure he did if he found the view enjoyable. The FUN of accomplishing a goal to find a large number of caches in a day can be equally as enjoyable, and if the route takes you past one with a special view, we usually do pause for a few extra seconds.

I know of a cacher who drove to Alaska and back, and barely spent the night there. His goal was to visit a lot of states in a specific time frame. He seemed pretty content. I think I would stay for a few nights and find a few caches and enjoy a few meals if I made the effort to get that far from home.

We all have our own goals, and the reward for each of us is completing them.

double post

I've also seen people cop superior attitudes because they have a higher post count. So stop padding yours. :D

I've seen attitudes from people who think their state is better than another, their vehicle is better than others, their team, school, favorite candy bar is better. They all make me laugh too. :D:D

I didn't have the time to read every single post to this thread, so if my points were already covered then I apologize.

I think that finding 100 caches in a day is very doable! My record in a day is 84, and I spent longer than I should have with a dinner break plus getting delayed with a 20 minute downpour halfway through. So I could have very well made the triple-digit if I had pushed.

To get 100 in a day I think that the cacher should spend the night less than a half-hour away from ground zero where the large cluster of caches are located. I once went on a cache run to Huntsville, and my mistake was starting from Chattanooga.....well, I wasted a few valuable hours of daylight driving to my intended goal which was Huntsville.

I think caching as a team is the way to go in a 100 cache day. To have someone whos sole responsibility is to drive, then the other cacher can be looking up the next place, reading off the hints, and giving directions if needed. It is extremely hard for one person to do all the work. I think it is best to run with three people. One person drives, one person keeps the records/looks up the caches, and one person is the runner at the locations. If the runner has difficulty after 10-20 seconds, then the other two people come to the rescue.

The person who finds the cache, signs for everyone present. It saves time to do it that way rather than the log being passed around to everyone to sign. While the finder is signing the log, than the other people in the team can be looking up the next cache/the roads to get there.

Their are several other ways in which finding 100 caches in a day can be completed......these are just some of the ways that work for me. It may sound like work....but it is a lot of fun for me.

The big question is why? Are the numbers that important? This is the reason I get acronynms for logs instead of intelligent conversations. I prefer to enjoy the area .. find out why the person picked this place as a spot. I like to leave a good story both in the handwritten log and the online one. And I always try to take a few pictures for every cache I find. I like to spend at least an hour at the cache site and if I am hungry have a picnic there. Why would I wan't to blaze through 100 caches and not enjoy the areas I am visiting. To each his own .. but I have no motivation to waste the precious few caches in my area by spending 2 minutes at each one.

Although finding the caches is the main course du jour, it is also a gigantic social event when done in the company of long time and new found friends.

Yes. If the car is parked right next to the hide, then no. We play by the "three musketeers" method, where if one finds the cache we all get to log it. "Hucklebuck' would be too tedious for a numbers run. 75% of the fun on such a run is the company.. some weird stuff ALWAYS happens, great memories.

I only posted the question because I've heard of people using the 3 or 4 team method where the driver never leaves the auto and never finds a cache, yet the driver gets to log a find for each of the caches.

Why not just form up a team of 10 cachers in the morning and come up with a team name for the day. Now send everyone off on their own to find 50 caches that day where they sign the team name and meet back up at the end of the day to report on found caches. Now everyone in the group can go home and log 500 finds because someone in their "team" found a cache 20 miles away.

I've cached in groups of up to 5 cachers, and I know how much fun it can be. Great memories and great laughs and we've done a few caches where the cache was found before everyone even exited the auto but this is quite rare. The only way having a designated driver would be an advantage is if that driver never left the auto and the other two did the quick dashes to the caches. Planning and setting up your route in advance would mean a designated driver and navigator are not required.

I've even read a few profiles of some cachers with over 20k finds that state they found upwards of 1,000 caches in a single weekend. Of course they were caching with others. Just work out the numbers and you will see there is no way to find that many caches in 48 or even 72 hours even if every cache was a Wally World hide.

Hucklebuck or not; everyone in the group should at least see the cache.

I just find it funny how some people get all up in arms about how some people play the game and yet have no problem employing practices that are clearly all about the numbers.

I just find it funny how some people get all up in arms about how some people play the game and yet have no problem employing practices that are clearly all about the numbers.

I would also be afraid of geocaches being on their endangered species list with too many of these weekends. When I first started geocaching in 2004 there were 3 geocaches here. 3! Now there are probably less than 20 caches in my county. With gas at $4 a gallon less of us will have the luxury of driving 3 hours to the closest big city for geocaching blitzs. I would be totally depressed to find out I had nowhere to geocache for the next several months because I blew through them too fast.

I don't understand the appeal of trying to get as many caches as you can in a day. It takes me awhile to cheer for myself when I find one, take pics, sit and stare, read the logs, ect.

Heck, it takes me several minutes just fussing with the stuff in my pack, I could never find 100 in a day.

I will never run out of caches to find!