Disabling

Add the Snake attribute and mention it in the listing description. Unless there is some kind of ultra-high probablility of a snake - I don't see any need to disable it.

Snakes (prairie rattle snakes) are a fact of life around here and are frequently seen at many of my caches in warmer months.

Can I disable my geocache for snake season for the summer? I don't want to archive it because if I did, I would have to have an admin inable it again.

You can disable your cache for any reason. Guidelines suggest that your cache should be sound and lasting, but I've seen plenty of 'seasonal' caches. Snakes rank pretty low on my list of worries while caching and I think if you mentioned the risk on the cache page and added the attribute most people wouldn't object to it.

I'd vote to just keep it active. Up the terrain rating and modify the attributes and description.

You can disable a cache for a short time for safety reasons. Several caches in our area get shut down for the winter every year. I have one that I closed because any attempt to reach it would have been suicidal.

How bad is the snake problem? I'd think that unless the snakes are living on your cache that closing it for the season may be a bit extreme. Perhaps you should talk to some local cachers/hikers and find out what they do.

Can I disable my geocache for snake season for the summer? I don't want to archive it because if I did, I would have to have an admin inable it again.

You can disable your cache for any reason. Guidelines suggest that your cache should be sound and lasting, but I've seen plenty of 'seasonal' caches. Snakes rank pretty low on my list of worries while caching and I think if you mentioned the risk on the cache page and added the attribute most people wouldn't object to it.

I'd vote to just keep it active. Up the terrain rating and modify the attributes and description.

I would have to temporarly disable it for 4 months!

If we disabled caches for snake season, most of the caches in our area would be out of service for half the year. I've seen reports of rattlesnakes on top of/right next to caches even. But that's what's in our area, and we've never had any problems. I wouldn't worry about it, just mention it in the cache description if you're worried about it.

Edited by Ambrosia

There was a boy who hid a cache. He wanted to make sure that everyone was totally safe

while searching for it. So...

...he disabled it in the winter because there was ice and snow around it.

...he disabled it in the fall because it was hunting season.

...he disabled it in the spring because of black files and ticks.

...he disabled it in the summer because there were snakes in the area.

Point is that a lot of our caches are in the woods and when you go into the woods you have to deal with nature.

Actually I see that as a good thing.

Edited by briansnat

We have rattlesnakes in our area most of the year. Most of the caches that are placed in/near rocks or other snake habitat usually have warnings on the cache pages to watch for snakes and to take care about poking any body parts where you can't see. Any one who does anything outdoors needs to be careful. No need to disable your caches.

No need to disable your cache for snakes.

As was said before, just add the snake attribute. Most cachers are very 'snake aware' when caching.

If we disabled caches for snakes in Florida, there wouldn't be ANY active caches here. We have seen snakes year-round in the woods around here.