Missoula Cache Machine

travisl

Cache Advance is still available to to set up a Geo-Store if y'all still want it; I'm coming to cache regardless! Let me know -thanks!

Lisa, we'd be more than happy to have you set up your store at our lunch stop. At this point based on the schedule looks like the most likely location will be at Fort Missoula, which would give us lots of options. But we'll figure out the best spot once the route is closer to being finalized.

Cache Advance is still available to to set up a Geo-Store if y'all still want it; I'm coming to cache regardless! Let me know -thanks!

Lisa, we'd be more than happy to have you set up your store at our lunch stop. At this point based on the schedule looks like the most likely location will be at Fort Missoula, which would give us lots of options. But we'll figure out the best spot once the route is closer to being finalized.

Great! Provided I survive Geowoodstock VI, I'll be there with Bisons on! :unsure:

Feel free to PM me with details as we get closer.

In the meantime, if folks want anything special from Groundspeak, just shoot me a note and I'll be sure to have it along -great way to save on shipping!

See y'all in June~

Lisa

Grrr... Yumitori and Retired Dust have given me some great feedback about draft route 1, and I spent about two hours updating the route with their suggestions. 90 minutes into my work, I thought to myself, "self, you should save your work, so you don't lose it in a crash like you did when you were assembling draft 1." I then promptly forgot to do this, and lost it in a crash like I did when I was assembling draft 1.

I'll work on it again tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have draft 2 posted later this week.

Grrr... Yumitori and Retired Dust have given me some great feedback about draft route 1, and I spent about two hours updating the route with their suggestions. 90 minutes into my work, I thought to myself, "self, you should save your work, so you don't lose it in a crash like you did when you were assembling draft 1." I then promptly forgot to do this, and lost it in a crash like I did when I was assembling draft 1.

I'll work on it again tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have draft 2 posted later this week.

That bites! I can't wait to see the new draft. I've been on business trips for the last few weeks and then sick. Am looking forward to persusing the next draft.

-Jennifer

A request came in for a bookmark list of the fun caches to do in Missoula. I've put one together of the ones that Dean and I have enjoyed finding or other folks have enjoyed finding. Neat areas, nice hikes, multi-steps. It isn't inclusive, but it is a good start.

Many of them are already on the machine. The multi-steps probably aren't and neither will the longish hikes be.

And yes, some are ours, I'm biased. :unsure:

Missoula Area Fun Caches

-Jen

Yes, we are running a bit late on this, but where is everyone staying while there? Was looking at the Days Inn for 94/night, but would like to find something a bit cheaper to help offset the gas prices! LOL Any suggestions?

A bunch of us Spokanites are staying at the Super 8 on Brooks street -linky. I got a double queen room for $70.00/night. Pretty basic, but we're there to cache, not lounge around in the motel!

Yes, we are running a bit late on this, but where is everyone staying while there? Was looking at the Days Inn for 94/night, but would like to find something a bit cheaper to help offset the gas prices! LOL Any suggestions?

A bunch of us Spokanites are staying at the Super 8 on Brooks street -linky. I got a double queen room for $70.00/night. Pretty basic, but we're there to cache, not lounge around in the motel!

Thanks Lisa!! Just saw that one AND it has wifi! W00T That is a priority!! LOL

Thanks Lisa!! Just saw that one AND it has wifi! W00T That is a priority!! LOL

Great! Looking forward to seeing you guys again :rolleyes: I can't wait to hear GWVI stories... I didn't 'get out' much that day :D

Being a Choice Hotels member, I always try to rack some points for future free nights, so I'm at

Econo Lodge (MT048)

4953 North Reserve Street , Missoula, MT, US, 59808

Phone: (406) 542-7550

Got a rate of $67.49 (AAA member) for a queen bed.

A new cache in our area is a MUST-Do for this Machine, please add it: Llewuoyhsiwi

Done. The second draft is posted (2MB .PDF). Thanks to Yumitori, WildFire1, and Retired Dust for your very helpful feedback on draft 1.

Great! Feedback sent... <_<

Current plan for the morning of the event is that Dean and Raynebeau will be at the webcam and I will be taking webphotos from an undisclosed location. Muffins and mini-Bagels to be offered. Coffee is still being worked out and may not be easily offered.

-Jen

Okay. Peggy's finally graduated and all of the pre-graduation parties, welcome the visiting family dinners, nursing department ceremonies, graduation day luncheons, diploma ceremonies, post-graduation parties, hanging with the family breakfasts, and good-bye to the family dinners are over...

This week I'll be getting some the additional information I talked about previously.

Thanks for all of the work on this, Travis!!

I've just posted the final route. Any further changes will be announced at the pre-event dinner at China Buffet on Friday, June 20. I've also updated the cache page with the information that Jennifer&Dean posted about other ancillary parts of the event. Quoting myself:

- Friday, June 20, at 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., last minute changes will be announced at an informal pre-event dinner at China Buffet, 1910 Brooks St (N 46° 51.129 W 114° 00.620). Seating available as you can.

- Saturday, June 21, at the start point ("UM Cam"), between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m., the locals will host us with muffins, bagels, and drinks, and Jennifer&Dean have offered to help take the necessary photos.

- Saturday, June 21, at 11:30ish to 4:30 p.m. the locals will hosting a burgers, dogs, and more lunch at Fort Missoula Recreation Park at N 46° 50.617 W 114° 03.197, near "Different Perspective VII" (GC176HM).

- Saturday, June 21, at 8:00 p.m., dinner will be at Freemo's Pizza, 1801 Brooks St. (N 46° 51.240 W 114° 00.630).

- Sunday, you're on your own. Go get the ones you missed.

Gonna be a fun one. I can't say enough good things about the advice and work that Yumitori, Jennifer&Dean, and others have contributed to make this event come together easily. My hat's off to them.

I imagine everyone already has their motel reservations, but just in case, I just got a room for $60 on priceline.com for the Holiday Inn Parkside downtown. Looks like it's close to the starting point and the Holiday Inn website says rooms cost double what I paid. It's my first time using priceline, but it seems like a good deal.

I imagine everyone already has their motel reservations, but just in case, I just got a room for $60 on priceline.com for the Holiday Inn Parkside downtown. Looks like it's close to the starting point and the Holiday Inn website says rooms cost double what I paid. It's my first time using priceline, but it seems like a good deal.

That is a pretty good deal!

There is a cache there- MSO airline something. It is on the machine and should help you get there in case you need some coordintates for the hotel.

-J

I upped my bid to $58 and then $60 tonight and also am booked into the Holiday Inn Parkside for 2 nights.

Looks like a very nice hotel. The wife and 11yo will be able to find a lot to do right around the hotel while I cache away the day with Tominsons.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/MSUMT/welcome

I was looking over the route for the first time and I had a question about stop number 92 Queer Lodgings. The parking stop is a ways away but google shows that there is close parking to the cache either from the north or south? is it faster or should we walk.

GO TEAM BROOKS SUPER 8!!!!

It is faster to walk... there is a canal in the way of approaching from the 2nd and Hazel St intersection. You could drive around on 3rd st and take the access to the Milwaukee Depot where the Boone and Crocket club is, but it is faster to just park and walk. There isn't alot of parking there, so, hit 87-90 from the McCormick Park parking area (there is an underpass to #91 if you don't mind a quick 0.12 walk) and then drive around via 3rd st and take the left turn onto a dead-end just before Higgins St and that will get you to the parking for 92- Queer Logdings, from where you can hit 91 as well.

The parking currently showing for #91 only has room for a few cars, sometimes no spots are available, and is on a dead-end street where the homeowners are really picky about folks parking in their driveways.

Does that help?

I was looking over the route for the first time and I had a question about stop number 92 Queer Lodgings. The parking stop is a ways away but google shows that there is close parking to the cache either from the north or south? is it faster or should we walk.

I would recommend that everyone review the route and see if there is a different order that will work better for them, or if there are active caches not on the route that they wish to find. But as far as the parking is concerned, we've tried to pick the most efficient locations possible. In several cases it might be a toss-up whether it would be quicker to return to your vehicle and drive a short ways, or just walk a little ways further to the next cache. I think we have a good balance. The river and canal really do limit access in area.

On my newest note on the CM I posted an image with some re-routing info and the phone-a-friend numbers. I will be pulling this image down after the CM to keep the numbers private once again. Please download it if you don't think you will make the pre-CM dinner.

Other updates may follow as we discover issues.

Jennifer

According to weather.com, it's supposed to be sunny and 88 degrees on saturday! Bring lots of water!!

And sunscreen and skeeter repellant. :D

Maclay flats is notorious for bad skeeters in good weather. And there is a 1 mile loop of caches to find there.

Also, there is a moose living near the pond at Maclay flats so when you get to #28-34, watch for the Moose!

J

I just wanted to thank Travis for all of his work on the cache machine, even though he didn't get a chance to attend. We locals had a great time hosting folks from all over the region, and we hope that you all had as much fun as we did.

Hopefully we'll see y'all at one (or more) of the future machines down the road.

Thanks to everyone who attended. Wish I could have been in two places at once, but I'm in southern California celebrating my wife's graduation, and now at a conference. Believe it or not, the weather is hotter here. Less mosquitos, though. :wince:

Sounds like everyone had a great time, and the locals did an amazing job coordinating the on-site work. Thanks to everyone who helped with the route, the meals, the call-a-cacher, and getting things taken care of in Missoula. I've said it before, but this event wouldn't have happened without Jennifer&Dean's and Yumitori's help.

I'm looking forward to organizing and attending Victoria Cache Machine II, almost certainly scheduled for September 20. Get your passports or enhanced drivers licenses soon!