New Garmin Forerunner 405's?

Has anyone here had any experience with the new Garmin Forerunner 405's? They're the first one Garmin has introduced that's actually wristwatch size and wearable as an everyday watch (except it needs re-charging every two weeks or so).

I went to REI to buy one (a green one) and it was too small to even fit on my wrist. I'm 6'3" and 250 #s - a little on the big side, but it's the first watch that wouldn't fit - very disapointing

Has anyone here had any experience with the new Garmin Forerunner 405's? They're the first one Garmin has introduced that's actually wristwatch size and wearable as an everyday watch (except it needs re-charging every two weeks or so).

I have a 405CX. It's awesome for workout and works great for Caching.

However, you can not upload the usual gpx files to it. But I found a way that is not too difficult:

Download the normal gpx-file.

Goto http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do and convert it to Track - Garmin Course TCX

Save it to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\XXXXXXXXXX\Courses\

give it a useful name when saving the TCX.

The Garmin driver will upload automatically.

(Path is for XP, - it's probably different for Vista).

The waypoint can now be use as a training course :-)

When uploading the tcx, all training courses in the watch will be deleted! So if you want multiple caches in the watch, just disable the driver till you´re done (remove the USB stick).

BTW: The 405CX I got came with 2 extra wrist bands for small and large wrists.

Have fun!

I have a 405CX. It's awesome for workout and works great for Caching.

However, you can not upload the usual gpx files to it. But I found a way that is not too difficult:

Download the normal gpx-file.

Goto http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do and convert it to Track - Garmin Course TCX

Save it to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\XXXXXXXXXX\Courses\

give it a useful name when saving the TCX.

The Garmin driver will upload automatically.

(Path is for XP, - it's probably different for Vista).

The waypoint can now be use as a training course :-)

When uploading the tcx, all training courses in the watch will be deleted! So if you want multiple caches in the watch, just disable the driver till you´re done (remove the USB stick).

BTW: The 405CX I got came with 2 extra wrist bands for small and large wrists.

Have fun!

I have the simpler 405, and have tried uploading cache coords using the 'Send to GPS' button on each cache page. It launches the Garmin Communicator plugin, of which I have the latest version installed, it can see my Forerunner, and when I click the 'Write' button it says it has sent the data to my GPS.....but it doesn't actually send it! I have the USB stick plugged in and the connection is working (I just transferred the data of my last run), but it won't send the waypoint.

Has anyone managed to get a cache sent to their Forerunner using the Communicator plugin, or should I give up?

I have the simpler 405, and have tried uploading cache coords using the 'Send to GPS' button on each cache page. It launches the Garmin Communicator plugin, of which I have the latest version installed, it can see my Forerunner, and when I click the 'Write' button it says it has sent the data to my GPS.....but it doesn't actually send it! I have the USB stick plugged in and the connection is working (I just transferred the data of my last run), but it won't send the waypoint.

Has anyone managed to get a cache sent to their Forerunner using the Communicator plugin, or should I give up?

I can't see anything in the device folder of where the Locations (that you can 'go to' on the watch) are stored - does anyone know?