Seeding Ibycus's maps on bittorrent

Anyone else interested in seeding Ibycus's maps on Bittorrent, so they're easier to get? He has given permission in his thread, as long as nobody tries to profit from them.

I'd be willing to seed it, but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing. I've never set up a torrent before, just downloaded some (and then let uTorrent handle seeding what I've got). So if there's a critical mass willing and able, we might be able to give it a go. It'd take some load off his web host, and potentially download faster. Then we'd have to keep it up-to-date when he updates...

I'd be willing to give it a try, although I've never seeded before. What tracker site would be best?

Ideally we'd have several people who have the file downloaded who could start seeding as soon as the torrent was set up, that would really increase speed.

Edited by Gamma68

I'd be willing to give it a try, although I've never seeded before. What tracker site would be best?

Ideally we'd have several people who have the file downloaded who could start seeding as soon as the torrent was set up, that would really increase speed.

I'm not sure what tracker to use - like I said, I've never set one up. I need to do some reading. I saw something on Lifehacker about it a while back.

If there's only 2 of us willing to do it, it's not worthwhile, though. I'm getting about 220 kbps from his host, we'd need to be able to combine for much more than that.

Sorry I guess this is the older version I just downloaded it yesterday from the first link in his site and didnt realize the usa13 was a newer version looks like I will get that one up as well

Link here

PB Tracker for Ibycus USA

Sorry, what are you seeding??? Ibycus has not made any topo maps for the USA.

You MUST put more information in the torrent. Version numbers, what it is, ......... Nobody will torrent some mystery exe file.

Edited by Red90

OK, so if I'm counting right, there are 3 of us who would seed it:

myself, CrazyOn2Wheels, and Gamma68.

Is that correct? Anyone else?

I think if there's only 3 seeders, there's not a lot of point to it, unless it gets picked up by the BT user community at-large...

You just need to post it on a popular torrent site with a proper description and people will seed.... It helps if you have seeded before as people are scared of viruses.

How about a question from one who doesn't use torrents a lot. I can link to both those files, and have utorrent installed, but I know very little about the whole procedure. How can I add my computer to the uploads?

How about a question from one who doesn't use torrents a lot. I can link to both those files, and have utorrent installed, but I know very little about the whole procedure. How can I add my computer to the uploads?

In uTorrent there's a "create torrent" option (File menu, I think). I'm at work so I can't try it out. Anyway, you get to that dialog, and point to the file, put in a couple of trackers. Here's a link to a how-to at torrent freak. (can't see that at work, either...) Then you upload your torrent to one or more of the torrent sites.

Now that I think of it, though, if you have downloaded the file from Ibycus's web page, I think all you need to do is put that file in your uTorrent shared folder, then go to mininova or Pirate Bay and search for Ibycus. Download that torrent, and I think it'll say you already have it. I think. I'm not quite sure how this all works, either.

It does look to be spreading, though. At one point over the weekend, I saw 7 seeds on The Pirate Bay. It has made it to some of the meta-search sites, too, at least to the one I use - PizzaTorrent. If we can get a few more people to DL it and seed, it should be sustainable.

Edited by JSWilson64

OK, so if I'm counting right, there are 3 of us who would seed it:

myself, CrazyOn2Wheels, and Gamma68.

Is that correct? Anyone else?

I think if there's only 3 seeders, there's not a lot of point to it, unless it gets picked up by the BT user community at-large...

I would be willing to seed , :D as long as it is USA version, and there are some instructions in the description!!

funyfarm out :D

:D

I'm currently showing 9 seeds and one leecher, and I've uploaded 3x the file size, so it seems to be working. I should be able to leave it seeding for a while, maybe he will give us first shot at the next update so we can get it seeding right away :)

I'm currently showing 9 seeds and one leecher, and I've uploaded 3x the file size, so it seems to be working. I should be able to leave it seeding for a while, maybe he will give us first shot at the next update so we can get it seeding right away :)

I'd hoped to see more seeds than that. I've uploaded over 11 GB of that file (over 10x the file size) and depending on when I check, I've only seen 7 seeders. Now I understand where the term "leech" came from... :)

Thats why I like some of the private tracker sites for torrents.If you dont keep up a good ratio for ul/dl you get the boot.My comp seeds 24/7 and this torrent currently has high bandwidth priority with no upload limit

Would it be better for us to list the Ibycus maps on a private tracker? I'm pretty much a bittorrent rookie, except for downloading the occasional TV episode.

I'd like to see a torrent for the newer 1.4 version of the maps. There's no way I can download a 1 GB file in a single shot, and the checksum checking and resumable nature of torrents make them an ideal method for getting such a huge file.

I'd like to see a torrent for the newer 1.4 version of the maps. There's no way I can download a 1 GB file in a single shot, and the checksum checking and resumable nature of torrents make them an ideal method for getting such a huge file.

He's working on a new version right now to correct some issues with the old ones and also to have a larger tile size so that you don't run into the 2025 tile limitation. So probably best to wait for that version to come out.

When that comes out I want to try to get it and the Canadian maps going on bittorrent. I've tried repeatedly and still can't get a good download of the Canadian maps.

When that comes out I want to try to get it and the Canadian maps going on bittorrent. I've tried repeatedly and still can't get a good download of the Canadian maps.

Firstly, you want to wait for the next version of those as well.

Second, it is not currently in a format that would make it work on a Torrent.

Third, are you using the Mapupdatebeta.exe I can't quite understand how you can NOT get that to work.

Okay, at the risk of resurrecting an old thread, It would be nice if someone were to seed the USA 2.0 maps, as the link to GPSFILEDEPOT.com is excruciatingly S---L---O---W!!!!!! and seems to be the ONLY source. It's taken more than 4 hours to download, and it's failed twice already.