First Caching excursion with Triton 500

Took it out tonight for the first time and all in all it's a pretty decent unit. It locks on to sat's very quickly and I didn't lose signal once. I had my PDA with me, but didn't use it, all the info I needed was on the Triton. My thumb got a workout using the directional pad as you have to go through alot of menus to get anything done. The screen looks really good, even with the factory plastic sheet on it. Anyone know where to get a screen protector? Invisibleshield doesn't have one out yet. Couldn't get the lanyard from my explorist through the loop hole, the hole is to small and the lanyard too rigid. A few little annoyances.

1.) Had to redo the goto to get the caching info, they need to incorporate the caching info into the compass screen.

2.) No geocache found option, need to get this on next revision.

3.) My compass was a little screwy, but I think that was a bad calibration by me. When I got home I redid and it seemed better.

4.) I want WAAS! but even without it accuracy was usually around 15 ft.

The controls aren't that intuitive, but only took me about an hour to figure out. Mine was a exchange for an explorist 600 they couldn't get parts for. I don't think I would buy this unit yet. Wait till they get more of the bugs worked out.

The specs says it has WAAS. What do you mean?

The 200,300,400,500 Tritons do not show any indication of picking up WAAS. The 1500 & 2000 do.

Had to redo the goto to get the caching info, they need to incorporate the caching info into the compass screen.

A lot of buttons to press to get from the compass screen to switch to another geocache. A real pain.

No geocache found option, need to get this on next revision.

They sure do need to fix this one also. A temp fix is to simply change the icon on the geocaching screen to the red flag.