China

fairyhoney

Yes, my thoughts are going out th the victims too.

Early reports suggest nearly 9000 people may have died in the aftermath of a 7.9-magnitude earthquake in China.

I have a quick question about geocoins and where they are manufactured . . . Where the earthquake was, will it hamper the finishing of orders or even making them? I have no idea where they in China they may come from. Just a pondering may I mind you.

I have a quick question about geocoins and where they are manufactured . . . Where the earthquake was, will it hamper the finishing of orders or even making them? I have no idea where they in China they may come from. Just a pondering may I mind you.

:huh: Our fellow-men have died by the thousands in this terrible catastrophy. Many, many others have been injured, often very seriously! Large numbers of people have lost their husbands, wives, parents, children, collegues, friends, their homes and everything else they possessed! And here we have a person who is afaid that the production of something trivial like geocoins will slow down or pause because of this horrible event! Without even mentioning the fate of all these Chinese! Thank God it's 'only' the farmers in rural China and not the people who work in the geocoin factories in the coastal regions! Shame on you! Asking a question like this is a testification of an appalling lack of compassion! Do you have a heart at all? :D

Edited by Captain Zulu

:huh: Our fellow-men have died by the thousands in this terrible catastrophy. Many, many others have been injured, often very seriously! Large numbers of people have lost their husbands, wives, parents, children, collegues, friends, their homes and everything else they possessed! And here we have a person who is afaid that the production of something trivial like geocoins will slow down or pause because of this horrible even! Without even mentioning the fate of all these Chinese! Thank God it's 'only' the farmers in rural China and not the people who work in the geocoin factories in the coastal regions! Shame on you! Asking a question like this is a testification of an appaling lack of compassion! Do you have a heart at all? :D

I didn't see it that way: I saw the poster recognizing a connection with China that geocoiners share and using that connection to ask a question. There was no "only farmers" in their post. You put it in YOUR post above.

This is a terrible thing - many thousand have died and more are seriously hurt and displaced and in great need. But the poster did nothing wrong by asking.

No more than someone asking if the Olympic venues were effected; and I've seen several media articles mention just that.

:) Our fellow-men have died by the thousands in this terrible catastrophy. Many, many others have been injured, often very seriously! Large numbers of people have lost their husbands, wives, parents, children, collegues, friends, their homes and everything else they possessed! And here we have a person who is afaid that the production of something trivial like geocoins will slow down or pause because of this horrible event! Without even mentioning the fate of all these Chinese! Thank God it's 'only' the farmers in rural China and not the people who work in the geocoin factories in the coastal regions! Shame on you! Asking a question like this is a testification of an appalling lack of compassion! Do you have a heart at all? :)

More like shame on YOU! If you knew Fairyhoney at all you'd know she is one of the kindest, most caring, compassionate people here.

She asked a simple question, it had NOTHING to do with her level of compassion or anything.

Shame on you for jumping to conclusions about her and for berating her the way that you did.

:)

Hugs to Fairyhoney!

Naomi

:) Our fellow-men have died by the thousands in this terrible catastrophy. Many, many others have been injured, often very seriously! Large numbers of people have lost their husbands, wives, parents, children, collegues, friends, their homes and everything else they possessed! And here we have a person who is afaid that the production of something trivial like geocoins will slow down or pause because of this horrible event! Without even mentioning the fate of all these Chinese! Thank God it's 'only' the farmers in rural China and not the people who work in the geocoin factories in the coastal regions! Shame on you! Asking a question like this is a testification of an appalling lack of compassion! Do you have a heart at all? :)

OK all, let's just slow down and relax a bit here, or I'm sure this will all be blown out of proportions. ;-)

Captain, I'm CERTAIN Fairyhoney had no ill-will with her post, she asked a valid question about the geocoins. Fairyhoney IS a very caring and compassionate person, please don't assume otherwise simply from a question on the COIN forums?? After all, if this question wasn't about COINS, it wouldn't be allowed here, my friend!!

Fairyhoney, please don't take the quick conclusion made by one upset you. I can also feel the compassion from the Captain's post, and I can understand his pain at the loss of more than 12,000 people (as of this morning)..

I'm praying for both the Chinese and those in Myanmar...but that's not going to float in a coin forums. So, let's try to keep on topic as Fairyhoney did!

Make that two. See my post above. I am sure noone set out to be insensitive, but the message was just that. Imagine someone posting a message about whether some service that had been running from the Twin Towers would still be available mere hours after 9-11. This earthquake has already caused four or five times as many deaths, so some more humane way of asking the question would not have been uncalled for, IMHO.

<snip>

Fairyhoney, please don't take the quick conclusion made by one upset you.

<snip>

As was stated a couple posts up, news crews were asking as to the Olympics much before this question was asked...do you also view this as being callous?

The question was asked,it's a valid question pertaining to the forums we're in. I highly doubt FH was intentionally being rude, callous or mean with her question. Could it have been asked better? Sure! Look at it this way though...suppose you had coins being minted over in China and have seen the destruction (and said prayers and gave much thought to the carnage and devastation you've seen already). Being someone with coins in the area, maybe coins you'd already set dates for etc (and no, I'm NOT saying this is the case), had already announced here in the forums. Wouldn't you want to understand a bit about how this would affect the delivery, how you and your potential customers might be affected? (see, I can pray and wonder all at once, I'm sure others can as well)

As I said, I'm sure Fairyhoney wasn't merely worried about the coins, but she had a valid question about the disaster and it pertained to this forum. I'd bet Fairyhoney has also given the human aspect much thought!

I can see no further good to this topic as I can see Fairyhoney's comments might be misconstrued by some. Maybe shutting this down is best??

Please keep them all in your prayers and thoughts. Many of those in that region have family that has traveld to work in the factories. They are unable to get into contact with their families in the qauke zone and are quite scared for their well being.

They are in my prayers...let's just hope for the best!

:) Our fellow-men have died by the thousands in this terrible catastrophy. Many, many others have been injured, often very seriously! Large numbers of people have lost their husbands, wives, parents, children, collegues, friends, their homes and everything else they possessed! And here we have a person who is afaid that the production of something trivial like geocoins will slow down or pause because of this horrible even! Without even mentioning the fate of all these Chinese! Thank God it's 'only' the farmers in rural China and not the people who work in the geocoin factories in the coastal regions! Shame on you! Asking a question like this is a testification of an appaling lack of compassion! Do you have a heart at all? :)

There was no "only farmers" in their post. You put it in YOUR post above.

This is a terrible thing - many thousand have died and more are seriously hurt and displaced and in great need. But the poster did nothing wrong by asking.

No more than someone asking if the Olympic venues were effected; and I've seen several media articles mention just that.

I didn't see it that way: I saw the poster recognizing a connection with China that geocoiners share and using that connection to ask a question.

That may be so and of course that must be appreciated! Yet it is my opinion that worrying about the production of geocoins is banal in connection with a disaster of this extent.

That's right! I didn't say these were their words, did I? I didn't quote anybody anywhere. Everything that I've written in my post has come straight from my own mind. But here I was referring to Nielsenc's post, just after theirs, to which they have reacted one post later. In this way I wanted to draw Nielsenc's words into the discussion without addressing him as well.

Well, in fact that is just as banal! But of course media have to report about anything important ánd about all possible consequences of anything important. That's just their mission! And I think nobody will doubt the importance of the Olympics for both China and the rest of the world! Don't you think the Olympics and the Chinese production of geocoins are subjects of a very different magnitude and importance?

Finally: I've written my post because I felt hurt by an -as I think- obvious lack of compassion. Undoubtedly Fairy Honey is a nice person, but in my opinion her post is a miss! And do I have to know a forum member in person to have an opinion on his or her posts? I don't think so! Of course I'm entitled, like everybody else, to have an opinion of my own on these things. I haven't seen a reaction from Fairy Honey herself yet, but it's odd to see that there is already at least one person now who even seems to be angry with me and who doesn't seem to let me express my personal view on this matter. I want to assure Fairy Honey that I didn't write my post because I had a problem with her, but just with the way she has posed her question.

I sure see a lot of people jumping to conclusions here. People are allowed to express their opinion, sure. But suggesting that you understand the mindset of a person who has posted here without the benefit of knowing anything about them is unfair and judgmental.

My thoughts are with the people of Myanmar and China. Perhaps we all could just set petty differences aside and just concentrate on that without feeling the need to attack each other?

Wow! It is no wonder people don't like posting here.

Need to take a deep breath.

The tragedy here is the death, injury and lose of homes and jobs for those people who are affected.

But then to attack someone for not posting a question in a right way seems to use a innocent question to cause more hurt.

I have some observations:

- Expressing concern here or feeling bad does no good at all. What does do good is to donate money to the relief effort:

- Each day there are millions of deaths some early and some natural. I can only feel so bad for those or would not be able to function.

- We as geocoin people have a real connection with people in China in a more personal way. It is natural to wonder what impact it will have on me. While not as intense it is not to much different than a wife who has lost her husband or a child their parent asking “Now what is going to happen to me?”

Would those be wrong or callous questions to ask?

No one said. On no I am going to be inconvenienced or not get my coins. It is rather a way of establishing a connection.

- More than anything else I just am amazed at how ready we are to be critical of others and in doing so, often become our own accusation.

Please let me try to redeem and explain myself. There wasn't any callous, insensitive intent on my part. I'll be the first to admit that I am not the brightest bulb in the socket and that what comes out of my mouth sometimes comes out before long thinking about if it is wrong or not.

<p>I seriously did Not know where in China that the coins would be made. I consider myself one who may ask the questions others are thinking but for one reason or another won't. Not to be insensitive. I am a very sincere type person. The others in these here forums have never met me and more than likely never will - we tend to get to know others here by what they post.

<p> It saddens me that all these disasters are happening, destroying lives, killing innocent people, , and devastating the area. My intent was not to be insensitive. SORRY.

Fairyhoney

Without mentioning the geocoins, which are of specific interest to the users of this forum, fairyhoney's post would've been off-topic and irrelevant. By tying it to something near and familiar to us, it strikes that much closer to home. It's just another way that the ripples from the tragedy touch us all.

To answer the original question, it appears that the epicenter was near an industrial area. It is unknown where individual production plants are for coins, but it is likely that, due to the gigantic area affected by this catastrophe, production of many items will be delayed.

The sheer number of casualties is staggering, and any nation would likely focus on humanitarian aid before restoring production to non-essential items. Major rail and road arteries have been damaged or destroyed, and many cities have been leveled.

It is a very intense situation right now, and my thoughts are with the Chinese people. In good time, and with support from the whole world, restoration can begin.

Who knows for sure when export production will be back to full operational capacity, but I would guess that most focus will be on giving aid to the area and people involved first.

Only time will tell...but for now I'm sure we all send our best wishes, prayers and intentions to all affected.

To answer the original question, it appears that the epicenter was near an industrial area. It is unknown where individual production plants are for coins, but it is likely that, due to the gigantic area affected by this catastrophe, production of many items will be delayed.

The sheer number of casualties is staggering, and any nation would likely focus on humanitarian aid before restoring production to non-essential items. Major rail and road arteries have been damaged or destroyed, and many cities have been leveled.

It is a very intense situation right now, and my thoughts are with the Chinese people. In good time, and with support from the whole world, restoration can begin.

Who knows for sure when export production will be back to full operational capacity, but I would guess that most focus will be on giving aid to the area and people involved first.

Only time will tell...but for now I'm sure we all send our best wishes, prayers and intentions to all affected.

From what I've been told the mints tend to be nearer to the coast. However most of their workers come from the inside and must travel 2-3 days to reach their villages for the New Year celebrations which does affect production of geocoins every year.

This tragedy is very likely to affect some of the mint workers and perhaps that may slow down production. As a consequence it would be a humanitarian gesture to accept delays in the absence of any more meaningful assistance.

:) Having read all the comments in this topic I realize that I must have thrown quite a big stone into a quiet pond. Indeed I was indignant over what I had read in this topic when I decided that I had to post myself and that made me write a text with some spicy extras. :)

I still endorse my point of view that the way this question has been posed isn't very wise. But I am -and was- convinced that Fairy Honey didn't have the intention to be insensitive and from what people who know her have said about her she probably can't be insensitive at all. Yet -in my view- she unintentionally was.

And I had to give my opinion about that, right away of course! Now I see that I'd better have waited some time before I did that. I've learned that Fairy Honey doesn't deserve spicy extras and I now sincerely regret having given exactly that to her! :)

In most posts many wise words have been spoken. These have contributed to my present, more lenient, view of this matter and I'm grateful for that! Thank you all! And after having read Fairy Honey's own comment on all this I can only say (if you don't mind): Hugs for Fairy Honey! :D

Cap't Zulu, you expressed your opinion because your heart is in a good place. Losing friends and family members is very difficult and people have gut reactions. One year ago, I was in the exact spot where the earthquake hit. I became very good friends with people in Chengdu and Wolong when I played panda keeper for a week so looking at what is happening in those areas right now concerns me more than a few coins. Their systems are down right now so it is hard to know whether those friends are alive or not. There are currently 12 Americans missing that were at the panda preserve so it does hit close to home.

....I've written my post because I felt hurt by an -as I think- obvious lack of compassion....

I saw neither heart nor compassion in your posts.

I don't think we need to expand on everything to ask a question and I don't think we need to apologize to ponder about the things that we deal with. I also don't think we need to assume that the things unsaid are not of concern.

Don't go out of your way to be hurt. There are enough things that will hurt you directly to last you a life time.

:) Having read all the comments in this topic I realize that I must have thrown quite a big stone into a quiet pond. Indeed I was indignant over what I had read in this topic when I decided that I had to post myself and that made me write a text with some spicy extras. :D

I still endorse my point of view that the way this question has been posed isn't very wise. But I am -and was- convinced that Fairy Honey didn't have the intention to be insensitive and from what people who know her have said about her she probably can't be insensitive at all. Yet -in my view- she unintentionally was.

And I had to give my opinion about that, right away of course! Now I see that I'd better have waited some time before I did that. I've learned that Fairy Honey doesn't deserve spicy extras and I now sincerely regret having given exactly that to her! :)

In most posts many wise words have been spoken. These have contributed to my present, more lenient, view of this matter and I'm grateful for that! Thank you all! And after having read Fairy Honey's own comment on all this I can only say (if you don't mind): Hugs for Fairy Honey! :D

It was asked here, because this is where the geocoin forums are. The off topic threads are elsewhere. It's a perfectly good question for these forums. If you wish to help the injured, the homeless and their families, there are other forums and places for it.

I'm glad you decided to show some leniency on your part, because if this thread were about the earthquake, it wouldn't be in this forum, it would be moved to the Off Topic forums.

All we can do is wait and see how China makes it through this disaster. It is devastating.

That's right! I didn't say these were their words, did I? I didn't quote anybody anywhere. Everything that I've written in my post has come straight from my own mind. But here I was referring to Nielsenc's post, just after theirs, to which they have reacted one post later. In this way I wanted to draw Nielsenc's words into the discussion without addressing him as well.

I was only answering a direct question. I wasnt getting into details beyond that. Yes, this is tragic. Yes I know people from the area. Yes this is not a good thing for friends or family.

As some people know, I travel to China quite often. In the past 5 years I have been over 20 times. I not only visit but I work alongside many Chinese people. I have many friends and co-workers with whom I interact with on a weekly if not daily basis. I am quite aware of the situation and have been following since it happened.

In the future, if you felt my post was insensitive to the situation, you can always PM me to have me clarify.

I'm glad this turned out a little less "intense" a discussion than it appeared to be heading, THANKS all for keeping cool heads.

One can only hope that everything will be fine out there and we can hear some good news soon! All this bad news really puts my little world into perspective!

Maine to AZ??? WHOA!!! I dont have TV and dont even get the paper, but my Coworker just got back last week. He met a friend there who is now living in her car umungst all the ruble.

I had No idea it was so big and never thought an earthquake could be so big!- WOW!

I would only suspect that something this large has effected the larger part of china aswell as the workers outside those parts. May we send our deepest regards to all effected.

Fairyhoney just wanted to know if it could effect geocoins...I am absolutley sure she to has the deepest regards to all who have been effected aswell~Its kinda a givin. We're the geocoin forum and geocoins are what we talk about.

Its a huge tragedy of which we are all saddened by, I really dont even think there is a reason for explanation of why she didnt dawn on the fact it was such a tragedy as for it is kinda a givin aswell. Very sad :)

Just one more thing to prove to myself that I didn't imagine nor dream of what I thought I heard.

It is very good to hear that they are still finding survivors.

I thought that maybe I imagine what I thought the news said about the "quake zone" After searching the web for over 3 hours, I finally must have typed the correct phrase:

"http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24600756/

Death toll rises to 12,000 in aftermath of massive earthquake in China

KSBY-TV

updated 6:45 p.m. PT, Tues., May. 13, 2008

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Reported by: Colin Seiler

CHINA

The quake zone encompasses an area the size of most of the continental U.S., stretching roughly from Maine to Arizona. Death toll rises to 12,000 in aftermath of massive earthquake in China."

Just one more thing to prove to myself that I didn't imagine nor dream of what I thought I heard.

It is very good to hear that they are still finding survivors.

I thought that maybe I imagine what I thought the news said about the "quake zone" After searching the web for over 3 hours, I finally must have typed the correct phrase:

"http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24600756/

Death toll rises to 12,000 in aftermath of massive earthquake in China

KSBY-TV

updated 6:45 p.m. PT, Tues., May. 13, 2008

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Reported by: Colin Seiler

CHINA

The quake zone encompasses an area the size of most of the continental U.S., stretching roughly from Maine to Arizona. Death toll rises to 12,000 in aftermath of massive earthquake in China."

I had heard that also. So it wasn't your imagination!