Magellan Explorist 500 LE

I can get one of these for $188.00 Canadian, brand new. I've read A LOT of mixed reviews on this unit and was looking for some advice on whether or not this is a good option for this price. I'm researching, and researching some more...I think I'm starting to confuse myself!

I need to get a new GPS and really shouldn't go over $250.00 Cdn and I'm open to suggestions.

Thoughts?

I recently purchased one myself and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone.

First off, I think it's a great unit for the price. I do really like it. The problem that I had was that it wouldn't use WAAS. I was able to do a work around for it and load the European version of the firmware and fixed the problem, but for a new guy starting out it was a real pain in the butt to find all the information. Some of them do work however. It just depends on whether or not the unit was turned on during a 6 month period last year.

If you don't mind digging in a little (and it's not all that complicated really) you can fix the problem and it's a great GPSr in my opinion. If you just want to turn it on and go geocaching, you might have better luck elsewhere.

Edited by Danger

I have a 500 LE and I really like the unit itself. There are a few things to consider before purchasing one, however.

Magellan customer service isn't exactly supportive to the customer.

The Explorist line has been officially discontinued, so there will be no more updates in the future.

If you have a computer with Windows Vista expect to have problems with your computer recognizing your Magellan GPS when you connect to the USB.

When out in the field hunting Geocaches mine works wonderfully. So far my coordinates have always been spot on with the hiders. I like the button setup, and I've figured out how to toggle my screens as needed pretty easy.

You also might have additional expenses with it depending on what you want to do. If you are geocaching, you can look at the map on the website, drive close and then use the GPS and you'll do OK however the map that comes with the unit doesn't have much in the way of local streets. You're looking at addition costs of an SD card and map software if you want more detail.

I had the unit for four months. It wasn't really accurate. When I would go caching with friends who had Garmins, my eXplorist would say about another 40-50ft, and their Garmins said right in front of us, and the cache was indeed, right in front of us. This has happened many times when I have gone caching. Otherwise it's a great unit. I was able to find it for US-119.99 on tigerdirect.com, but I don't know if they ship outside the U.S. I would go check their website first if you are in to buying an eXplorist. I just recently traded it in for a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS with a Glisson Antenna. If you are new to caching, I would say buy it, but otherwise, I would reccomend going Garmin.

Well, I currently have in my possession 2 Garmins and 2 Magellans. One of them is the eXplorist 500LE. It's one of the easiest to use units I've handled so far. This is a 0118-serialized unit that has been flashed with the 2.57 firmware to enable WAAS.

It compares favorably to the Legend HCx I have in my possession, average time to aquire satelites is quicker, average accuracy is higher, real world accuracy is better, it works better under heavy tree cover, and it seems to track better for driving or cycling. That being said, they are discontinued so getting any help from Magellan is like pulling teeth, not all models will accept the 2.57 firmware, and the map software (DirectRoute and topo) both appear to be discontinued, which means you need to buy old version and likely means they won't be updated anytime soon.

On the other hand, I also have access to a Magellan Triton 400 and Garmin GPSMap 60Cx. Both are very accurate and quicker to aquire lock. The Triton does not yet support WAAS (beta firmware seems to support it) so it isn't quite where it needs to be (there are some other stability and functionality issues as well), while the 60Cx has been on the market for a while, has a mature and stable firmware, lots of map software options, and is backed by great customer service.

Honestly, I'd say the 60Cx is the best choice for the money. It's usually found at or slightly above $250, but is well worth the money in my opinion.

Years ago I had a Garmin (don't remember the model) and one day it just stopped working. I wasn holding it in my hand looking at it and it suddenly said "Searching for satellites..." and that's all it ever did from then on. It wasn't dropped and it wasn't during any incliment weather. I know of two other cases where the same thing happened. That's why I went with Magellan, but I didn't forsee all the issues I'd have with it either.

I can get one of these for $188.00 Canadian, brand new. I've read A LOT of mixed reviews on this unit and was looking for some advice on whether or not this is a good option for this price. I'm researching, and researching some more...I think I'm starting to confuse myself!

I need to get a new GPS and really shouldn't go over $250.00 Cdn and I'm open to suggestions.

Thoughts?

Before you buy ANY magellan product, I suggest you google magellan trouble shooting and that you check out the HORROR stories of people who have owned them. There are hundreds of customer reviews describing defective units, incompetent tech support and finally just ignoring all customer emails letters and lies told to customers over the phone. I personally have returned one brand new defective explorist 400 which was replaced by a defective triton 400 which after 8 calls to tech support and waiting 5 weeks for a supposedly arriving return mailer have just discarded.

geoneb

I sold my 500 because of lots of minor problems with it. Also if you look around you can buy the 500 for cheeper than that. I now have the garmin csx. Paid $340 cnd and love it. The magellan 500 is better for geocaching though but that's it. My csx is faster and a better quality gps. I did not like the small stick on the 500. That was the main reason I sold it. Seems cheep to me. The garmin cs is in your price range.

I dearly love my Magellan 500... but...

I am on my second unit - first one wouldn't work in cold weather and kept locking up until I warmed it up (not good in Canada)

This second one locks up on me every once in awhile (in warm weather), and I have to remove / replace the battery to get it working again - sometimes I have to re-enable my maps, sometimes not. Its rather annoying, and due to Magellan warranty is now questionable in Canada, I will probably head for a Garmin shortly.

The only thing holding me back (for a Garmin) is that the topo maps for Magellan have way more detail down to the street level. Caching with my husband, I can get us right to the exact street (by name) and his trusty Lowrance will zero in to the cache far better, almost every time! Too bad I can't get good maps for his 15 yr old Lowrance, LOL

So for now, I will continue to use my annoying Magellan 500, but am "actively seeking" a better replacement :D

Well thank you for all your input. I was out 'researching' again yesterday and found the Garmin GPSmap 60cx for an awesome price, so I bit the bullet and bought it. Can't complain since I got it more than $150 dollars (brand new) less than everywhere else I saw it. With taxes in, it was $80 more than planned, but it's a great unit.

And the best part? I was speaking with a friend of mine last night who informed me that his father had purchased the Topo Maps, street maps, etc. for US and Canada (he also has the 60cx)...and he loaded them all up for me on a spare card he had. Now how's that for a deal!

This thing is sweet! Heading out today for my first cache with it!

I used one for about a year: Here is my experience. I liked it and it was very accurate but it had it's flaws:

Occasional Locking Up (Rare but easy battery in and out to fix)

Charging connector strips out after time (took mine 6 months, remedied by grinding down head of screw for extra length)