List of Challenge Type Caches

I really enjoy all the challenge type caches, like Delorme, and the county challenges, and Alphabet soup, and the fizzy DT/TR Challenges, and thought it would be fun to see what else is out there, if you wouldn't mind posting links to the challenge caches in your area that would be cool!

The Heck with This!, a challenge in itself. An incredible micro near a baseball field. The owner is hosting an event near it so he can laugh at everyone who looks for the cache

The Elves Magnum Microcache, a name in itself. another toughie in this area, took me numerous visits to find. although some have found it on thier first visit. Located on a train (Keystone might kill me for saying that)

I'm sure there are more around here, like one called Amazingly Evil, which looks to be in the middle of the Ohio River, but it's actually somewhere else

Those are cool!

I guess I should have been more clear, I'm not so much looking for "Challenging" caches, as I am "Challenge Caches," like :

- You must find a cache in each county in the state

- The Delorme Pages for the state

- One with each letter ( alphabet soup )

- 100 puzzles ( challenge of the century )

basically a cache where you do a lot of OTHER caching to qualify for finding the cache.

I just finished a challenge cache called the Kitsap County Thomas Guide Challenge. Each player has to find at least one hide on each map page in the Thomas Guide. After completing all forty pages, you then locate the final. It was great fun and a really great way to see all the nooks and crannies of where you live. It took me about two months to finish; some did it faster.

Happy Caching

A Bookmark of Washington Challenge Caches.

A Baker's Dozen Challenge Cache

An Alphabet Soup Challenge for Washington

Cache By Numbers - Challenge Cache of Washington

King County Thomas Guide Challenge

Kitsap County Challenge

Snohomish County Thomas Guide Challenge

South-Eastern Washington Oldies Challenge

Washington DeLorme Challenge

Washington Forest Fire Lookout Challenge

Washington History Challenge

WASHINGTON STATE COUNTY CHALLENGE

Washington State Quadrangle Challenge

Washington State Webcam Challenge

Washington's Geology: An Earthcache Challenge

Washington's Highest Caches Challenge

Well Rounded Washington Cacher (Fizzy Challenge)

I've noticed that some challenge caches provide a bookmark list of the caches the you need to find to complete the challenge. Sometimes this list includes the challenge cache itself and sometimes it doesn't. I was going to create a challenge cache to find all the challenge caches that have bookmark lists that don't include themselves in the list. I was going to make a bookmark list for my challenge cache, but I couldn't figure out if I should put my cache in the bookmark list or not. :huh:

I've noticed that some challenge caches provide a bookmark list of the caches the you need to find to complete the challenge. Sometimes this list includes the challenge cache itself and sometimes it doesn't. I was going to create a challenge cache to find all the challenge caches that have bookmark lists that don't include themselves in the list. I was going to make a bookmark list for my challenge cache, but I couldn't figure out if I should put my cache in the bookmark list or not

:D:huh::D

I don't think I've got my own Challenge cache on the bookmarked list (A-Z ALR)(but seriously, I don't remember). Thanks for the laugh. And if I ever get my Golden Oldies out, I won't have my Challenge cache on that bookmarked list either. I vote for definitely positively maybe NOT having your own Challenge on the bookmarked list of Challenges without the challenge on the bookmarked list. Not that my vote means squat.

As a cache owner, I'm fonder of "milder" challenges - ie, stuff that's doable in my caching lifetime. Something to mildly direct caching for a season or two. When the Fl Fizzy was posted, I wondered about the 4.5 (both difficulty and terrain) and sure enough, they're rare - folks tend to bump up to 5 when a cache is tough. There are a couple of combos that don't exist in the state at all. And given that the cache owner specifies only using caches published prior to the publication of the challenge, they're never going to exist within the state (for purposes of meeting the cache requirements). Not that there's anything wrong with a challenging Challenge, but I figure the cache is gonna be a waiting a while on FTF, and then long time again on another find. As a cache owner, personally, I like a find or two per year on my stuff. Not a couple per decade.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

And given that the cache owner specifies only using caches published prior to the publication of the challenge, they're never going to exist within the state (for purposes of meeting the cache requirements). Not that there's anything wrong with a challenging Challenge, but I figure the cache is gonna be a waiting a while on FTF, and then long time again on another find. As a cache owner, personally, I like a find or two per year on my stuff. Not a couple per decade.

I'll go a bit off topic here, and should probably spin this off into it's own thread, but I never understood the logic behind this particular rule. Can anybody point to an actual case of somebody hiding caches with bogus ratings for a challenge? If it happened, I missed it. You still have to find the same number of caches, so what does it matter if it's a new 2.5/4.5 hiking cache where the rating has been tweaked, versus an old 2.5/4.5 parking lot micro that was misrated by a newbie who didn't know any better? I enjoy challenge caches, but there are a number of them that I very vocally refuse to do because of strict or arbitrary requirements that are meant to either make the cache "more of a challenge" or make verification easier for the hider.

Los Angeles County Quad Challenge GCZMBD

Requirement: Find a cache in each of the 81 USGS quads that make up the county.

I wanted to do one of those in my home County, but was told that a Quad Challenge and a Township Challenge for the same county was too much.... sad...

Thanks guys! I'm having fun seeing what you're sharing!

I've noticed that some challenge caches provide a bookmark list of the caches the you need to find to complete the challenge. Sometimes this list includes the challenge cache itself and sometimes it doesn't. I was going to create a challenge cache to find all the challenge caches that have bookmark lists that don't include themselves in the list. I was going to make a bookmark list for my challenge cache, but I couldn't figure out if I should put my cache in the bookmark list or not. :)

Bertrand Russell solved this problem, but you won't like the answer, which is that you can't do that. :)

GC18DXW Santa Monica Mtns History Adventure is a compilation cache which requires far less driving than many, and is based on geological rather than political boundaries. (It's also mine.:))

Compilation Caches Across the US is a list I discovered because the owner put my cache on it.

Edward

The Texas County Challenge has been found by several people, which is remarkable since Texas has 254 counties and is the second largest state in the US. I've been a bit disappointed in the lack of pictures and stories from the finder's logs though. Seems like you could write a book about a journey like that, I know I could!

Here's a Fizzy-like challenge in Texas: Been There Found That - Texas 81 Challenge.

Here is one that we have set up - GC18HDD - A Baker's Dozen Challenge (modeled after one in WA State)

Here is one for 29 days in a row finding a cache - COMPLETED

Here is a Shore To Shore Challenge across the lower Peninsula of Michigan

Here is one the goes up/down the center of Michigan

An Alpabet Soup Challenge - original in MI.

An Alphabet Challenge - variant

An "A to Z" Cities Challenge

Then, there are those Series of caches that are worthy to be called a challenge

Train Series 25 caches (21 traditionals and 4 bonus caches)

Great Hides - Promoting www.greathides.com and GREAT HIDES of course - 10 caches + 1 bonus

ENJOY!!! We have.

These challenges are widespread enough geographically that you might not know about them if you focus on particular states:

Cache Across America - Series Final (GC12E08) (Mentioned above)

Goal: Find the 50 'Cache Across America Series' caches, one in every state

Final cache is in Washington, D.C.

Found 50 States, I'm Going to Disneyland! (GCRFNN)

Goal: Find a cache in every state and Washington D.C.

Final cache is in California

State Capitol Quest (GCV7NG)

Goal: Find a cache near each state capitol; post your pictures with the capitol buildings in the background

Final cache is in California

I-10 Interstate Highway Challenge (GC1AM16) Final cache is in Louisiana

I-78 Interstate Highway Challenge (GC1B0A6) Final cache is in Pennsylvania

I-95 Interstate Highway Challenge (GC1BQ72) Final cache is in Florida

Goal: Find two caches within 10 miles of each other, on both sides of the highway, in each of the relevant states

I recently hit the maximum of 500 allowed bookmarks per list for my U.S. Challenge Caches bookmark list. It has now been split in two:

U.S. Challenge Caches: States A-M Bookmark List

U.S. Challenge Caches: States N-Z Bookmark List

As always, please email me with any corrections, updates, suggestions, or complaints.

Also, there is another thread with some additional challenges and bookmark lists:

How do you locate "Challenge Caches", ... or is finding them part of the challenge?

Happy Caching!

Do you have any idea how cool it is that there is a series of challenge caches named after me?

I can only imagine how cool that is. :lol:

And, once you complete the requirements for the original, you'll be able to travel the country picking-off all of our 'copycats' - with the possible exception of the one or two which require "in-state caches only".

North Carolina has One Busy Day that requires six unique icon finds on the same day. I think only 3 of us have been able to log this using previous finds instead of planning a busy day just to log this one. I noticed that the OP owns a similar one in Utah.

We've got the WRC/Fizzy, A-Z, Delorme and County (100 to find) Challenges.

And we also have the T-Shirt Challenge. You need to find all of the caches (33) in any of the four color groups on our 2008 shirt design that highlights the caches in the NCGO Greatest Hits list.

I might have missed one but I don't think so.

I setup a NC History Challenge cache...still needs a FTFer :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00-a8952bf13920

"Oh look! The owners of the NC Delorme Challenge and NC County Challenge have conspired to give you another reason to drive around the State :lol: ! To find and log this cache, you must have completed both The North Carolina History Challenge: East and The North Carolina History Challenge: West caches, and in doing so found the majority of the ~70 remaining NC caches placed during the first year of Geocaching (2000-2001). You will have found both halves of this cache's co-ordinates in each of those Challenge Caches."