Have I done the right thing?

Sussex Leprechauns

Hi All,

I don't 'play' the coin side of caching much - and hadn't realised there was so much to it until recently but wonder if you could help with this query.

this is a log I posted today for one of our caches - GC10QAH

Have been meaning to post this log for some time but work keeps getting in the way Not long after April 20 DNF I did a maintenance visit to the cache and it was there safe and sound BUT......on the path to the cache there was a burnt patch of grass - quite long and narrow, not like a BBQ or campfire. And nearby in the grass was a pristine geocoin (see picture). There was also a burnt piece of paper with an 'account' reference number on it. Strange, I thought and rather than just place the coin in the cache there and then I took it home to check out its mission. Things get stranger - I couldn't find any record of the coin on GC.com and emailing the person who logged the DNF (Colonel Cachington???)brought no response.

Eventually - probably after a couple of weeks of keeping meaning to come back to it and sort it out - I twigged that what I had assumed was an 'account' code was in fact an activation code - check the picture and you can see why I went wrong? Anyway, I plug that in and bingo - the Sussex Leps have a new coin! Which doesn't seem quite right really?

So to cut a long story short, having not managed to track the coin owner (still no word from DNF logger after 3 weeks) I have dropped it off in the cache to see if the next person will have more luck at reuniting it with whoever owns it.

It would be a nice caching story if the owner was eventually able to reclaim it?

Any ideas of how I can track down the coin owner and have I done the right thing by activating it under our name? I have posted some pictures on the cache page.

Your thoughts appreciated - and if I've done wrong please don't flame me :huh:

Nick (AKA Daddy of The Sussex Leprechauns) :D

Hi All,

I don't 'play' the coin side of caching much - and hadn't realised there was so much to it until recently but wonder if you could help with this query.

Have been meaning to post this log for some time but work keeps getting in the way Not long after April 20 DNF I did a maintenance visit to the cache and it was there safe and sound BUT......on the path to the cache there was a burnt patch of grass - quite long and narrow, not like a BBQ or campfire. And nearby in the grass was a pristine geocoin (see picture). There was also a burnt piece of paper with an 'account' reference number on it. Strange, I thought and rather than just place the coin in the cache there and then I took it home to check out its mission. Things get stranger - I couldn't find any record of the coin on GC.com and emailing the person who logged the DNF (Colonel Cachington???)brought no response.

Eventually - probably after a couple of weeks of keeping meaning to come back to it and sort it out - I twigged that what I had assumed was an 'account' code was in fact an activation code - check the picture and you can see why I went wrong? Anyway, I plug that in and bingo - the Sussex Leps have a new coin! Which doesn't seem quite right really?

So to cut a long story short, having not managed to track the coin owner (still no word from DNF logger after 3 weeks) I have dropped it off in the cache to see if the next person will have more luck at reuniting it with whoever owns it.

It would be a nice caching story if the owner was eventually able to reclaim it?

Any ideas of how I can track down the coin owner and have I done the right thing by activating it under our name? I have posted some pictures on the cache page.

Your thoughts appreciated - and if I've done wrong please don't flame me :huh:

By the looks of it you have come upon a mystery cacher and coin. The burned spot must of been dragons breath! It sounds like it is the way this mystery cacher chooses to distribute his mystery coins. So if you want to keep it, I would retrieve it and enjoy otherwise give it a mission and enjoy it's travels.

What should I use for Dragon bait at any of my caches? A princess? A damsel in distress? No, that's for the Knights in Shining Armour. How do I get that dragon over here?

Beautiful coin and a great debut with a whole lot of mystery to go with it. BRAVO.

Edit: Hold on. After reading the cache description and the same message in the OP, the cache Maintenance Log and the coin's page I smell charred breath. Perhaps the ID of Col Cachington is not so difficult to surmise.

Edited by Droo

Interesting story and I definatly think this is a very clever way for a new mystery coin to be placed.

I would love to get one of these as it would match my new fire dragon tat.

When you receive yours, you MUST post a picture of your tattoo :D (ah, go ahead, show us it anyways :huh: , please)

What should I use for Dragon bait at any of my caches? A princess? A damsel in distress? No, that's for the Knights in Shining Armour. How do I get that dragon over here?

Beautiful coin and a great debut with a whole lot of mystery to go with it. BRAVO.

Maybe they could even make their way over here via scorched envelope :huh: !

Interesting story and I definatly think this is a very clever way for a new mystery coin to be placed.

I would love to get one of these as it would match my new fire dragon tat.

When you receive yours, you MUST post a picture of your tattoo :D (ah, go ahead, show us it anyways :huh: , please)

Depends on where the tattoo is whether I really want to see it or not! LOL :D

fairyhoney was asking about the Colonel H. George Cachington Dragon coin more than two months ago. I don't know where she found mention of it. At the time, the only references I could find were on the GC complete list of coins (no icon available then or now), and the coincodes activation code site.

Thanks to the Sussex Leps, we now have a picture!

Personally, I think it is poor form to light a fire ANYwhere, even as a signature for a new mystery coin. It looks like this one was released in the UK, so there's not much chance of me finding one around here :huh:

Your thoughts appreciated - and if I've done wrong please don't flame me :D

No flaming here--only the dragon can do that!! :huh:

It looks like a really cool coin!! An unactivated coin in a cache is usually swag so it would be yours to do with as you like. Let it travel, show it off at events or set it on a place of honor in your home Whatever you chose to do is the right thing!

A possible lair we must find

Hiding there jewels of the finest kind

Adding piles of gold

And wishes most bold

We will wait and debate

much discussing the fate

of H George Cachington's treasure

and all caching pleasure

We hope someday we find

with thoughts true and kind

the dragon most bold

and all it can hold

82eebc33-6047-4672-8a20-aee72b85278a.jpge6cce054-8b2c-4948-b3a9-f1052e33a51a.jpg

Wow, i

:) love :) the new mysterie coin

The earth is my playground, it's wild and it's free,

I live for a voyage, a jaunt, or a spree.

A dash of excitement, a smidgen of play,

The thrill of an escapade lures me away!

Some journeys are daunting, but worries are few,

I live to the fullest in all that I do.

A legend, a challenge, or deep mystery,

Will certainly pique my curiosity.

My critics might say I'm the fidgety kind,

Perhaps a bit daft and a tad unrefined.

Forever impatient and restless at home,

I'd pace 'round the garden, dead anxious to roam.

Then a colleague did speak of an interesting sport,

Where one does partake in a hunt of some sort.

The search may yield treasures to add to one's worth,

With scads of folk joining in, all round the earth!

This thing they call caching attracted me so,

I'll plan us a holiday, pack up, and go!

What ways will I wander? What sights shall I see?

The unknown is all but a challenge to me!

And so it would seem I shall further this passion,

To travel the world seeking intrigue and action!

I'll endeavour to pass on remarks from my journal.

Until then, Cheerio! From your good mate, the Colonel.

e6cce054-8b2c-4948-b3a9-f1052e33a51a.jpg

:) Thanks Colonel H. George Cachington for this great mysterie coin :D

Dragons and Dragons OHHHHHH!!!!!! Dragons. WEll you know how we are here. :) Hope to find one laying around here like that. But the fire thing with the wild fire we just got settled, maybe bad idea. And got to think about that Dragon bait thing. I actually hear that moonlight magic is a powerful bait.

Wow - I have only just come across this thread. What an awesome tale about finding the coin!! Congratulations.

I have always thought that New Zealand was a very mystical country that would make a brilliant home for dragons, so feel free to fly on down, drop in for a while. :P

Hi All,

Your thoughts appreciated - and if I've done wrong please don't flame me :anicute:

That is a sweet looking coin, hopefully makes its way over to this side of the pond!

MRJIFFY

Any ideas on this. Have checked out the guys profile but he has no finds or trackables but he seems to have left an unactivated coin in the most obscure place which I only found by accident.

I saw the guy a few days before I found the coin but didn't realise he was a geocacher at the time...as explained in my post for my cache in this link...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...61-513b98f89c45

...also...heres the link to the strangely amazing DNF he logged at the other cache...'The Last Welsh Dragon' so you can see why I'm so bemused!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...ef-146795cc3c3d

Edited by Satellite Kid

No idea...but yes it is very cool!!!

Cant understand why it wasnt in the cache but half way down the hill though!?

this guy is officially now my hero. his poetry is simply wonderful! i couldn't see the coin in either of the two links, they both took me to the log entry. did i miss something?

lara