First Impressions of City Navigator NT 2009!

Hello all,

I was just curious what everybody thought of City Navigator North America 2009. I remember reading some threads on the lag issue of the 2008 version, especially with drawing of the maps. I was wondering if anybody had noticed any lag or any other issues on the new software. Any and all info on CN NA 2009 would be appreciated.

Thanks..........

Edited by DruNuts

I downloaded the new City Navigator 2009, it took 22 hrs with DSL! How much time should I plan on to install it to a nuvi 650?

It took a couple of hours to install to my 650. (On a Quad 2.4GHz with 2GB of RAM)

I'm happy with it in this area. Fixes several 'annoyances' as far as bad roads go.

I installed my newly purchased CN version 2008 and then downloaded the free upgrade to version 2009. The map is still called version 2008 in mapsource and on my Colorado. Is this correct or did it not really upgrade? Does anyone know how to confirm which version is running in mapsource?

I installed my newly purchased CN version 2008 and then downloaded the free upgrade to version 2009. The map is still called version 2008 in mapsource and on my Colorado. Is this correct or did it not really upgrade? Does anyone know how to confirm which version is running in mapsource?

Mine shows up as "City Navigator North America NT 2009" in Mapsource.

GO$Rs

Click the dropdown box at the top of the screen that says “City Navigator North America NT 2008” and see whether “City Navigator North America NT 2009” is one of the choices. If it is, select it and resend the maps to your unit. If it isn’t, the update didn’t work.

Did the installer say that it successfully completed the installation? Did you go through an unlock procedure for the update? The unlock is free, but you have to do it.

Click the dropdown box at the top of the screen that says “City Navigator North America NT 2008” and see whether “City Navigator North America NT 2009” is one of the choices. If it is, select it and resend the maps to your unit. If it isn’t, the update didn’t work.

Did the installer say that it successfully completed the installation? Did you go through an unlock procedure for the update? The unlock is free, but you have to do it.

I tried it again and it got as far as asking for a registration code. The only 8 digit code I have is the coupon code that came with the version 2008 DVD and that didn't work. Was I supposed to get that from the "My Garmin" site where I downloaded it from? Of course My Garmin is down right now so I can't even check if it's there. Could they make this any more frustrating!!!!

I tried it again and it got as far as asking for a registration code. The only 8 digit code I have is the coupon code that came with the version 2008 DVD and that didn't work. Was I supposed to get that from the "My Garmin" site where I downloaded it from?

Yes. It appeared on a page that came up right after you clicked on the download link. The page had “Order Receipt” at the top, and said “You must enter the product key above during installation.” (It pays not to be in too big a hurry and read carefully when doing stuff like this.) If you printed that page, you have the code.

If not, it will be on your myGarmin page when you can access it again. The original download link will be gone. Don’t panic! As I recall, you have to click on a myMaps link to get there. Maybe something about “Download recently ordered map products” or words to that effect.

My Garmin is down right now so I can't even check if it's there. Could they make this any more frustrating!!!!

Easy, man. You’ll get it done. In the meantime, I’m sure your 2008 maps will get you around ok.

Actually, it could be more frustrating. After going through the whole process, mine got to the point of saying “Installing map data onto computer,” then two seconds later would give me the very helpful message, “There was an error during the upgrade installation process.” ;) I’m sure glad they told me that! I would never have figured that one out for myself! :) I had to call Garmin tech support to get a workaround to bypass the installer.

Has anyone tried installing CNNT 2009 on a second computer?

Think making a copy of the 2.14gb exe file that downloaded is all I need? I saved the registration key just in case.

I'll need to get a 4gb memory card to copy the file; but I won't if it it can't be done.

Think making a copy of the 2.14gb exe file that downloaded is all I need? I saved the registration key just in case.

Sure, you can install it on as many PCs as you like from the same file you downloaded from Garmin. Using the coupon code you received should allow you to install it as you originally did.

If for some reason it does not work (I don't see any reason why it shouldn't), there is an alternate install method...

1. Go to your original PC and run MapSource. Within MapSource, go to Utilities/Unlock Maps, click the Next button, then select "Backup my Unlock Codes to a file" and follow the prompts to save a copy of your unlock codes. Or you can view the unlock code for CN NT 2009 and write it down.

2. Rename the file you downloaded from Garmin to anyfilename.zip (or change the extension to .zip)

3. Extract the compressed contents to a folder on your hard drive. (note that you MAY need to use WinRAR). You will need ~2.3GB for the extracted files.

4. Go to the folder that you extracted to files to and navigate to the Msi folder.

5. Run CNNT2009UpdateWeb_Enu.msi. This will install CN NT 2009 to your PC without needing the coupon code.

6. After the installation on the new PC, run MapSource which will likely tell you that the CN NT 2009 maps are locked.

7. Run the UnlockWizard from the new install and unlock your maps using the unlock code file that you saved. Or you can simply enter the unlock code manually.

Edited by SergZak

I'll need to get a 4gb memory card to copy the file; but I won't if it it can't be done.

Given the detailed instructions posted by SergZak, it seems likely that he did, but since he didn’t come right out and say it, I’ll state that I did. I just copied the downloaded file as you are thinking of doing. If it installs normally, you will need the product key, just like the first time.

For the record, it was on the second computer that I had the install problem mentioned here

After going through the whole process, mine got to the point of saying “Installing map data onto computer,” then two seconds later would give me the very helpful message, “There was an error during the upgrade installation process.” :) I’m sure glad they told me that! I would never have figured that one out for myself! ;) I had to call Garmin tech support to get a workaround to bypass the installer.

Of course it’s possible that the problem was caused by trying to install it on a second computer, but I think that’s unlikely. There are lots of other things that could have caused it. And I was able to do it with the workaround from Garmin’s Tech Support. Their workaround was very similar to the instructions posted by SergZak. They had a different way to access the CNNT2009UpdateWeb_Enu.msi file, but running that file was the essential ingredient. Worked perfectly. I unlocked the maps as explained by SergZak.

I got CN 2009 today. While Garmin finally got a 4 lane limited access highway that should have been added in CN2007, there are hundreds of errors in the map that I previously pointed out to Garmin. I am not pleased, if I take the time to point out hundreds of errors in thier map, they should fix them. Of about 400 errors I pointed out, I could only find a couple they fixed. You would think when you have to pay these kinds of prices, they would fix the errots you point out. This makes me even more upset with them not letting me transfer my maps from my 60CSX to my 400T.

I got CN 2009 today. While Garmin finally got a 4 lane limited access highway that should have been added in CN2007, there are hundreds of errors in the map that I previously pointed out to Garmin. I am not pleased, if I take the time to point out hundreds of errors in thier map, they should fix them. Of about 400 errors I pointed out, I could only find a couple they fixed. You would think when you have to pay these kinds of prices, they would fix the errots you point out. This makes me even more upset with them not letting me transfer my maps from my 60CSX to my 400T.

Are you reporting the errors to Garmin or Navteq? You should be going through Navteq if you want to be heard.

Are you reporting the errors to Garmin or Navteq? You should be going through Navteq if you want to be heard.

Navteq could be a little faster on the updates too. I have about 6 change requests for map issues and incorrect POI's that I placed in January and have yet to be answered. I was hoping they'd make the next map set. Guess I'll have to wait for 2010.

Hello all,

I was just curious what everybody thought of City Navigator North America 2009. I remember reading some threads on the lag issue of the 2008 version, especially with drawing of the maps. I was wondering if anybody had noticed any lag or any other issues on the new software. Any and all info on CN NA 2009 would be appreciated.

Thanks..........

I thought it is still 2008 :(

(or does the year 2009 start on the 1st of January 2008... a bit like that the real millenium was at the end of 2000...)

Sorry for intruding in your thread :( - just had nothing better to do :blink: