what do I do now? from Texas

On April 26th my granddaughter and I found a geocaching printout that was not in a container. We had gone to Cullen Park in Houston/Katy Texas to an area where some of my son's ashes were scattered by his friends. It was his birthday and we went to share a Mountain Dew with him and she wanted to take her uncle Sean a balloon, which we attached notes to and let it go to fly away.

As we were leaving the area of the park we were in, I noticed a piece of paper on the ground and picked it up, thinking it was trash I'd throw away. Having heard of geocaching I knew what the print out was.

Should I find a container of some sort and return it to the park or I should I just keep it as a reminder of our special day in the park.

I would be happy to return it, if that's the proper thing to do.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Mommysean

On April 26th my granddaughter and I found a geocaching printout that was not in a container. We had gone to Cullen Park in Houston/Katy Texas to an area where some of my son's ashes were scattered by his friends. It was his birthday and we went to share a Mountain Dew with him and she wanted to take her uncle Sean a balloon, which we attached notes to and let it go to fly away.

As we were leaving the area of the park we were in, I noticed a piece of paper on the ground and picked it up, thinking it was trash I'd throw away. Having heard of geocaching I knew what the print out was.

Should I find a container of some sort and return it to the park or I should I just keep it as a reminder of our special day in the park.

Mommysean

I'd say it depends on what cache paper it was. If it was just the printout of a cache page off the web, or the page that explains what geocaching is all about, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is something else, provide us with more details.

Some people print out a sheet for each cache they go to find. Its usually a full page with the cache GC #, the name of the cache, coordinates, a description of the cache and a small map. If this is what you found, it probably just fell out of someone's pocket and its trash.

If its a small strip of sheets or a small notepad, its probably a log sheet. It should have a list of names and dates on it, and hopefully a disclaimer page and the GC # of the cache. If there is a GC #, you can go to geocaching.com and find out who it belongs to. Or post the GC # here and someone should be able to help you track down the cache owner.

it is a small strip of paper that has been laminated. It says "Congratulations you've found it". It tells what geocaching is, the rules of the game and how to contact this website. There are no GPS numbers or anything else on it.

Thanks

mommysean

Mommysean

I'd say it depends on what cache paper it was. If it was just the printout of a cache page off the web, or the page that explains what geocaching is all about, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is something else, provide us with more details.

Another good reason for the hider to put the GC# on the documentation, logs and container.

Sounds like maybe the cache was vandalized and you found some remains, or perhaps that sheet fell out of the cache when someone was visiting it. In any case, thanks for trying to track down who it belongs to -- most folks wouldn't even bother to pick it up and throw it away.

If you can provide a more accurate description of where you found it, perhaps with Google maps, maybe a local cacher can track down the cache for you.

it is a small strip of paper that has been laminated. It says "Congratulations you've found it". It tells what geocaching is, the rules of the game and how to contact this website. There are no GPS numbers or anything else on it.

Thanks

mommysean

While I am sure the owner would like this sheet back in the cache, it is not critical to the functionality of it. If you want to try to track down the owner, that would be kind of you. If not, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Sounds like the cache got muggled and the papers are blowing around. You may of found the container if you checked around. You can always check the site and see if a cache in that park is down now from being muggled or some DNFs on any certain cache in that park too.