REQ: Adding a picture to a Found...

Rhialto

Just noticed this recently and confirmed by looking at previous pictures posted a few months ago.

On May 9th I wrote a few Found logs and a day later, the 10th, I added a picture to one of those Found log. When I look in My Gallery, the date over the thumb picture is 5/10/2008.

Could this be modified so that the date shown is the same as the Found log to which it is attached? It make more sense to me when I will look at my Gallery later to remember oh yes that day I was there instead of looking at a date that is 3 weeks after the day the picture was taken only because I loged it only 3 weeks after my trip once I was back home.

Either stamp it the same date as the log we attach it or give an input box like when we log so we can manually set the good day.

Thanks.

Sorry for missing this bug report before, Rhialto. In fact we had documented the problem around the time you first reported it, but it was assigned as a feature enhancement instead of a bug report. As you know serious bugs do take priority. I have changed the category from a feature to a bug and will do my best to work this into the dev's schedule asap.

Thank you very much. Seriously I was a little bit disapointed about the lack of reply about the bug (light or more serious) I submitted. I tried 2-3 times then decided to open a ticket and guess what, it was not better and the ticket system seems broken so we cannot reply back.

Glad my 2 littles glitch will be looked at. The most annoying is the date under the pictures in the Galley. With all the years I plan to put into this activity, I may well build a big souvenir album photo and it's always welcome to have the good dates stamped on every pictures.

My ticket status is now closed, it does not stay open until fixed? Anyway, after a few months I will get back to you if it's not... ;)

Just while I received the renewal notice I get a reply, coincidence? ok ok I will renew anyway.

Thanks

Someone else reported this problem also here.

Edited by Rhialto

I can understand your frustrations. I tell you what - the ticket might be closed but your bugs are in the bugtracker.

4008 is your image bug

358 is your encrypt/decrypt bug (told you it was old ;) )

Feel free to beat me about the head with those numbers if you don't hear something soon.

Is 4008 still on track? Anyway to read the status myself?

I recently logged many caches 15 days after returning home and while the log date is ok, all the pictures have the wrong date so it's not yet fixed. I'm just curious when it will be.

And any input if we will have to manually edit all the dates or if the system will be able to use the same date as the log the picture is attached to?

Thanks

I don't consider this to be a bug, but rather a feature. It's not something that broke recently.

Here's why: I can keep track of my own images. I remember that I uploaded my July pictures before my June ones, and I don't care that they're "out of order."

On the other hand, when I am looking at a cache's image gallery, or at a friend's profile gallery, I will have no idea that some really cool images from 2007 finally got uploaded this month. I'd miss them because I don't wade through the gallery page by page, over and over. I just look for the new stuff on the first few gallery pages.

Now, if Groundspeak also implemented an option for notifications when images are uploaded to a friend's profile, an owned cache or a bookmarked cache, then I wouldn't care what date appeared under the image. I just want an easy way to find the new pictures.

Absent an image upload notification feature, please keep the image date stamp just the way it is now.

Absent an image upload notification feature, please keep the image date stamp just the way it is now.
NO! I like exact dates on my pictures just like exact dates for my logs. You don't, fine.

When I show my Gallery to friend or familly we can elaborate about dates showing... ex.: - Oh you found a cache on your cousin wedding day? - Yep, in the parking.

When I show my Gallery to friend or familly we can elaborate about dates showing... ex.: - Oh you found a cache on your cousin wedding day? - Yep, in the parking.

I guess dates aren't as important to me when it comes to pretty pictures. When I see one I like, I click it, and I'm taken to the log, where I can learn the date. Works every time!

But no reason both couldn't be kept, as an optional Sort By upload date and Sort By log date.

No problem with that, as it would make everyone happy, which is good. There's a bunch of stuff I'd like to see done with the site before that, but this could be on my list, along with a notification feature for when new images are uploaded.

I too do not consider this a bug. It's a feature and a direct result of the fact that the date shown is the date the photo was posted.

And really who uses that date anyway? If you click the photo you get to the log associated with the photo and the date of that actual find if that's iomportant to you.

For example, I posted several 'photos' of maps associated with my Massachusetts Delorme find, some more than half a year after the find. I do not care what date is shown in the gallery. Perhaps the cache name would be a better 'over caption' for all gallery photos.

As per recommendation, I use another thread.

Just wanted to know if there was anything new on bug 4008, a year later.

Also while looking again at my pics I noticed that both of May 28th 2008, the larger version of the picture is gone. What happened? Can you offer me to replace them without altering the date? I know I could upload them again but this will result in bug 4008 to tag those pics with today's date.

Thank you

Sorry for missing this bug report before, Rhialto. In fact we had documented the problem around the time you first reported it, but it was assigned as a feature enhancement instead of a bug report. As you know serious bugs do take priority. I have changed the category from a feature to a bug and will do my best to work this into the dev's schedule asap.
Do you still read me OpinioNate one year later? :P

I can understand your frustrations.

Feel free to beat me about the head with those numbers if you don't hear something soon.

Can I beat you now? :D

I'm just looking for a quick answer... the 2 PM I sent you a few weeks ago aren't read (according to tracking).

Since the OP has bumped his feature change request, I'll bump my continuing objection to the change. Right now, looking at the gallery sorted in upload order is the only easy way to see which pictures have recently been added to a cache page or friend's gallery. I still haven't uploaded the dozens of pictures taken on my March geocaching trip. If buried in a gallery sorted by log date, the cache owner might never notice my image. (Unless, of course, the owner received an e-mail notice when photos were uploaded to his listing....)

(Unless, of course, the owner received an e-mail notice when photos were uploaded to his listing....)
Interesting... we already receive e-mail when someone log a find (or DNF, etc.) so if there is a picture attached to it you should know, often they talk about the picture they took. As an option, another e-mail could also be sent when someone attach a picture to a log, that way if someone, for some reason, decide to add a picture to a 8 months old log, you would be notified.

For now I'm just looking for an update on 4008 if it's still listed or was striked.

I'd like to thank Jessica for my 2 pics replacement. Unfortunatly, because of this problem it's worse than ever, the replacement brang today's date to the picture in the gallery so they show up like if I just uploaded them... very annoying.

About the sorting method of gallery images: when editing an image, you can change the "date taken". Why is this possible, if not for sorting images? Could someone from Groundspeak please explain this to me? I ask this because I'd love to be able to sort my images by "date taken".

To me, sorting by "date uploaded" is wrong. I don't really care about other people being able to check out my new pictures; if I wanted that I'd use Flickr :)