Cache logs

I don't keep a personal log separate from what I post on Geocaching.com. I can go back and look at my old logs, so I can see when I found a particular cache. I think some people do keep a personal log, in which they record the details of a particular hide. That way, if a friend calls them up six months later wanting a hint, they can oblige.

Yes and No.

I do not keep a paper log of my finds. But I do the paperless caching and keep it on my PDA. Many just keep it on geocaching.com.

(The bad part about keeping on PDA is when you kill your PDA and have to get a new one.)

Hope this helps

kf4oox - Paul

Yes, I do - I keep a book with the name and Co-Ords (and hint if applicable) that I take out with me

I typically only write the Time and Date that I found the cache, but I sometimes record other things such as TB activity

The cover is falling apart, thanks to the Ottawa Winter, but it's mostly held together with Camo Duct Tape

It's my bizarre, really inefficient non paperless caching

Edited by Taoiseach
Do you keep a log of all the caches you find? If you do what kind of info do you keep in your personal log. I was wondering what all people keep track of after they find a cache.

Yes, we keep a paper journal. It allows us to keep the puzzle clues gathered, the solutions, etc. It also allows us to keep our private thoughts about the cache offline. Some caches we don't log online when they aren't worth the trouble. It allows us to keep a record why and know to put it on our ignore list later.

I use CacheMate and GSAK. All the notes made (stages in multis, trades, TB's, etc) in CacheMate are loaded into GSAK (the User Note). I also use the User Note to store info about puzzle solutions (which is loaded into CacheMate as the first past log and has saved me a few times in the field when I realized I made a mistake). This, along with my online log, is stored in a separate DB in GSAK - I also use the User Sort to number my finds in order.

I have a small notebook that I use for logging when out and about. I originally had it so I could keep a running order of every cache I hit and DNF. However, I've misplaced that notebook and have another.

Basically, I put the date at the top of the page and keep an order of the caches and when we found them. That way, when I log, I stay in the correct order. Also, I keep notes on TBs/coins and if I traded anything. It's basically so when I log online, I'm prepared with the info I need.

Oh, and like someone else said -- it's nice to have a notebook with you when doing multis and puzzle caches so you can write down any pertinent information.

Edited by softball29

Prior to the advent of PQs, I had kept an excel file of all cache finds. The file included the date of find, cache name (with link to online page), cache owner, and short note documenting whatever was special about the cache. I no longer keep up this spreadsheet, since I can easily run a 'my finds' PQ. However, I do have an application on my PDA called Cache Log Book that serves as a database documenting all my cache hunts.

Edited by sbell111

i keep a journal with all the info on the cache name, GC name, the park name or where located, date found, time (if it was a FTF) and then a brief description of where the cache was eventually found. i figure down the road it would be nice to look back at all the info or if anyone needs a "push" to find one i've already got.