Garmin eTrex H USB cable?

Hi,

My eTrex H didn't come with a usb cable, so I can't connect it to my mac. I looked on garmin's website, and they have a serial cable for for $38, and then the USB converter cable for $59.

That seems sooooooooo expensive just for a cable... are there any cheaper options?

My eTrex H didn't come with a usb cable, so I can't connect it to my mac. I looked on garmin's website, and they have a serial cable for for $38, and then the USB converter cable for $59.

That seems sooooooooo expensive just for a cable... are there any cheaper options?

Does the eTrex H have a B&W screen? If so, it looks like the MacGPS Pro folks have the necessary cable for $65, or $73 if you want a power cord as well as the serial-USB converter.

Here's their cable page.

Patty

Ok so the cables have arrived from ebay, but I can't get it to work.

I downloaded the garmin connect plugin, but it wont recognize my device. I tried changing the interface settings in the setup, but none of those seemed to work.

I also downloaded the web updater to see if I needed new firmware on my eTrex H, but that also said that it could not locate my gps device...

any ideas?? :)

Ok so the cables have arrived from ebay, but I can't get it to work.

I downloaded the garmin connect plugin, but it wont recognize my device. I tried changing the interface settings in the setup, but none of those seemed to work.

I also downloaded the web updater to see if I needed new firmware on my eTrex H, but that also said that it could not locate my gps device...

any ideas?? :)

If you haven't, you need to install the OS X driver for the converter you picked up. That and...

As far as Garmin Communicator Plugin for Mac:

RS232 serial devices are not supported on the Mac.

As far as WebUpdater:

Possible fixes for common issues:

Web Updater doesn't detect my device

Older versions of some Garmin devices' software have an issue that prevents them from communicating with the Mac. If you are experiencing this problem, you may need to update your device's software to the latest version using WebUpdater on a PC. After this update, your device should be able to communicate with your Mac and be updated using WebUpdater on your Mac.

This is right off their website, your mileage may vary.

MacCaching will work with serial GPS units such as yours once you have the driver installed and select "Serial" and "Garmin" in the preferences.