Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

I get an error when I try to load my file using the PoiLoader 2.5.2 which I sent to Garmin and here is there reply.

"There appears to be a conflict in the application. If you have not created or downloaded .csv files from a third party web site to load into the unit, then the POI loader has nothing to see to load. The POI loader is only an application, the needed files have to be created as a .csv file following the suggested format of the help example. If you have created or downloaded a .csv file and the unit itself is being recognized by the POI loader, and the file is being seen, but this error comes up while accessing or trying to load the file, then something in the file may be corrupt or not in the correct format."

The PoiLoader works with other files with no problem. Only this one file that contains 4879 caches. I reran the macro several times, tryed it with and without alarms, but alway get this error.

First thank you so much Pilot for this great feature for my Nuvi. I have been here all day loading your wonderful and easy to follow directions. I apologize if this has been answered before, but I have searched and can't find an answer to this question. My problem is, I got all the caches loaded as POI's, but now cant find my previous POI's (traffic cameras, school zones, ets). Is there a way to combine them, or is it one group or the other?

Thanks again,

Barbmarie :laughing:

That tutorial was awesome. I'm clueless on macros and this was my first time ever doing anything with them. I followed the step by step and got everything in and downloaded the first time around.

I highly recomend this to everyone!!

Thank you so much!!

biatchn <_<

This thread is to be used for all help/support/bug fixes for the tutorial at the website above.

So, for all help/queries/support/requests, please post away here.

All I ask is a few simple requests

* Be polite.

* Don't demand anything, I do this in my spare time and will help when I can.

* If you discover something good or find a better way to do things, please share it with us!

Enjoy the hunt.

I would like to do this paperless. I have paid for the premium. But have no clue what to do next???? I have a Garmin Nuvi 250. If anyone can help me at all that would be great!! I also need EASY directions please..lol very new to this!!! Thanks :unsure:

Edited by Ballmomof2

I would like to do this paperless. I have paid for the premium. But have no clue what to do next???? I have a Garmin Nuvi 250. If anyone can help me at all that would be great!! I also need EASY directions please..lol very new to this!!! Thanks :unsure:

Start at page one and read the following 19 pages. You will get the link to the program and the very detailed (including pictures) directions on how to install the micro and make it run. This is the best program you will find out there to make your Nuvi 250 (I have the 250W) a very usefull caching tool. It is all I use now since my Magellan died.

WAshington Red Bear

Just start on page 1, post 1. It has it all there!!

Thanks Pilotsnipes........

I'm using the Nuvi 250 & I followed your tutorial, step by step, everything works like a charm. You did a great job!!......

I also downloaded the topo maps from GPSFileDepo,.... they make tromping through the woods, off road, a breeze. Caching is so much easier now. :(

Thanks again for your hard work.

A nature kid

Just start on page 1, post 1. It has it all there!!

WOW. WOW. WOW. Bought my wife a NUVI 200 (pink!) for Christmas. She loves it because she always gets lost in new places. Happened upon this thread last week and have been having so much fun testing out the MACROS - Pilotsnipes - THANKS!!!!

I've now moved on to the advanced MACRO. I was using an ETREX venture Cx. The time saved with the MACROS is incredible. I can now spontaneously grab the daughter and go geocaching any time we want, rather than spending time preparing maps, cache notes, etc.... SO NICE!

And, I DID spend a considerable amount of time working through ALL posts in this forum thread. For those of you shying away, it's WELL worth the time! Now I just have to get rid of this PINK Nuvi and get myself one (something a little more studly) :(

WOW. WOW. WOW. Bought my wife a NUVI 200 (pink!) for Christmas. She loves it because she always gets lost in new places. Happened upon this thread last week and have been having so much fun testing out the MACROS - Pilotsnipes - THANKS!!!!

Delighted it helped :(

And, I DID spend a considerable amount of time working through ALL posts in this forum thread. For those of you shying away, it's WELL worth the time!

There's a lesson in there somewhere alright! People who read the thread (yes I know there are a lot of pages) don't seem to have any problems when it comes to doing the whole process! :huh:

Hello,

First, I must say that your macro is great. Thanks for writing it! I have a question though. I am a Linux user and don't want to maintain a XP virtual machine to run GSAK just to get good-looking POIs on my Nuvi. Do you have a template which is stripped of GSAK code for turning a gpx or csv file into one that fits the character limit that the nuvis require?

Thanks for any help!

I'm afraid not, although writing the gpx file is relatively simple and it's easy to give you a template for that (just open any gpx file with 2 or more caches and you'll see it's just an XML file with certain special tags that the garmin reads) unless you have some sort of database program to hold all the caches, I just can't see how you would manage this.

Sorry.

Without going through all this. I have found a nuvi 750 for less than $150. Should I purchase this instead of a 500 and use these programs? All we really do is park and grabs, maybe walking up to a half a mile on mainly sunny days.

The cheapest 500 I find is $250.

If I understand correctly, this program will allow me to see the all the details and hints?

Do I get a compass to "point" me in the right direction when I am a 100 feet away? I loved that feature on my iQue. Would a 750 get me that close?

Thanks

Edited by wxfamily

Just got a new Nuvi 500, updated all of my software and tried to get the Proximity Points Alerts working. Darn thing just won't alert. :laughing: Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I need help. Please....

Figured it out. I had to use the jjreds01 in the advanced mode macro and unselect the default of TourGuide and select Proximity (on Route) to get it to work. Works fine now! Thanks. :laughing:

I think you're going to want to explicitly state that the user should install the POI Loader prior to running the Macro -- the macro looks for POI Loader and can't find it if it's not installed (obviously :unsure: ). I just cancelled the macro, installed poiloader and hit the macro button again, but if it had explicitly said "install poi loader if not installed" then I'd have saved a bit of time.

It makes sense that I'd need it installed, but I was simply going in order :D

I uploaded the macro and the POIloader and all was working well until today.

I was trying to load 146 caches. GSAK worked as expected and ran the mcro and the poi loader came up, it went thru till the end where I get this alarm says "the file C:\gsak\garminpoi\Geocache Tour Guide.gpx is invalid" Do you wish to continue? Whether I say yes or no, nothing gets loaded into my Nuvi 260W.

Can you help? Could it be that I loaded GPX files into gsak and also a group as well.

I have used this GREAT macro for many months and it has always worked great for loading PQ results into my nuvi. I still use it for loading benchmark files into my nuvi. However, in the last month, whenever I try to load geocaching PQs from GSAK into my nuvi I get the same error that "Bowlr" is getting:

"the file C:\gsak\garminpoi\Geocache Tour Guide.gpx is invalid" Do you wish to continue?"

Can anyone help? The macro works fine when sending benchmark data from GSAK to the nuvi but as soon as I try sending PQ caching data I get the error. This is very repeatable.

pilotsnipes,

Leaving your macro for jjred’s would make me feel like a traitor abandoning a lifelong friend. Your macro has VASTLY increased the usefulness of our nuvi. In fact, if it was not for your macro we would not have bought the nuvi. We can’t thank you enough for the enjoyable hours and hours of time we have spent searching for benchmarks and caches with the help of the pilotsnipes macro.

--The TillaMurphs

Leaving your macro for jjred’s would make me feel like a traitor abandoning a lifelong friend. Your macro has VASTLY increased the usefulness of our nuvi. In fact, if it was not for your macro we would not have bought the nuvi. We can’t thank you enough for the enjoyable hours and hours of time we have spent searching for benchmarks and caches with the help of the pilotsnipes macro.

--The TillaMurphs

Thank you very much for the kind words, but don't stress about "leaving me" - I use jjreds myself! So if it's good enough for me to leave my own project then I think it's absolutely fine for you too!

Really glad people enjoy using it. :sad:

Edited by pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes: Thanks for the great work you have done, I am using a Garmin Nuvi 765 and got it so I could do paperless caching, which it's great for, even worked out the way to walk to match the coordinates to find the cache, I have found 2 so far using this method, yeah doesn't sound like alot but I have only had it working the last 2 days :P...

Anyway I found a little problem of sorts when driving around I am using the MP3 player function in the Nuvi as the car I use only has a tape deck and radio, so playing my own music is great... But when I do this and I go by a cache, the MP3 goes to the next track when the beep happens. If I go by a few caches it skips tracks all the time... Is there a work around for this yet?

I have to honestly say I have no idea Storm Chasers, I've never had those conditions myself....

Perhaps if you were to forgo having the beep (ie just get onscreen warnings WITHOUT the ding) that might stop the tracks skipping.

The easiest way to do this is to use jjreds macro with the option to have no sounds.....hope that helps.

pilotsnipes: Thanks for the great work you have done, I am using a Garmin Nuvi 765 and got it so I could do paperless caching, which it's great for, even worked out the way to walk to match the coordinates to find the cache, I have found 2 so far using this method, yeah doesn't sound like alot but I have only had it working the last 2 days :)...

Anyway I found a little problem of sorts when driving around I am using the MP3 player function in the Nuvi as the car I use only has a tape deck and radio, so playing my own music is great... But when I do this and I go by a cache, the MP3 goes to the next track when the beep happens. If I go by a few caches it skips tracks all the time... Is there a work around for this yet?

I have never had that problem (don't use that feature) with my Garmin Nivi 760 but I do have other problems on my 760 with the unit voices breaking up, multiple alerts for the same cache and unit hanging up requiring a reset to get working again. This happens on both Pilotsnipes and jjreds Macro and do not feel it has anything to do with the Macros but the firmware of the 760. Problems generally happen when the alerts go off if they are too many caches within the limits that are set. It got so bad for me that I went back to my Garmin 660 and the problem went away. I find if you use "Daniel" as the voice the problems are better. I am no expert of this and the above is just my opinion. Are other users having problems with the 760?

Ken

pilotsnipes,

--The TillaMurphs

Ditto. The first time we used your macro we almost felt guilty for having all of the cache information, clues, logs, maps of other nearby, at our fingertips. Now we cannot live without it and its functionality. Thank you so much for the work you put into this macro!!!!

This thread is to be used for all help/support/bug fixes for the tutorial at the website above.

* Be polite.

* If you discover something good or find a better way to do things, please share it with us!

Enjoy the hunt.

* Be polite.

Enjoy the hunt.

Apologies in advance if the question has been asked before, but this is an intimidating thread to read from start to finish!

Is there any way for this Macro (which is brilliant and has absolutely made my geocaching much easier and enjoyable) to display child waypoints differently?

I find it quite difficult finding a child waypoint for a particular cache. If doing a multi where there are waypoints all over the place, some near, some far, it would be nice to be able to have the caches name rather than the childs GP number as the way of being sorted. Then one could see which waypoints belonged to which cache.

Can this macro do that?

Does the "Advanced Macro" do it?

Any suggestions?

I have a Nuvi 300.

Thanks so much for a great macro! (That must be a least the third or fourth time I am thanking you...LOL!)

Noob here. Just got a Nuvi 760 for mother's day. I sure would like to pimp it up.

Pilotsnipes, your tutorial looks great but I can't seem to use the like to the POI loader, version 252. I already uploaded 253 from the garmin site.

The link on the tutorial says that I need a password to download 252?

Help?

Can this macro do that?

Any suggestions?

I have a Nuvi 300.

Thanks so much for a great macro! (That must be a least the third or fourth time I am thanking you...LOL!)

Actually I'm not sure if the Advanced does this directly, however, if you open up my macro and look at line 320, you can tweak how the child caches are named there.

Hello, i've a Colorado, but when i use the custom option, i receive a message from POI Loader that said that only support 32 symbols.

Anyone more has the same problem?

Thanks.

You must be using jjreds macro, try his thread for support: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195389

Noob here. Just got a Nuvi 760 for mother's day. I sure would like to pimp it up.

Pilotsnipes, your tutorial looks great but I can't seem to use the like to the POI loader, version 252. I already uploaded 253 from the garmin site.

Help?

Not sure what link leads you to a password as I've just checked it myself and it seems fine. Here's the link to POILOADER 2.5.2

http://www.mediafire.com/?imz1fgijutm

Can this macro do that?

Any suggestions?

I have a Nuvi 300.

Actually I'm not sure if the Advanced does this directly, however, if you open up my macro and look at line 320, you can tweak how the child caches are named there.

Hello, i've a Colorado, but when i use the custom option, i receive a message from POI Loader that said that only support 32 symbols.

Anyone more has the same problem?

Thanks.

You must be using jjreds macro, try his thread for support: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195389

Help?

Not sure what link leads you to a password as I've just checked it myself and it seems fine. Here's the link to POILOADER 2.5.2

http://www.mediafire.com/?imz1fgijutm

The message I get is that it doesn't support my browser....I am using Firefox. Does that matter?

@gardengorilla

I'm really not sure what you're doing wrong, or if your browser has some sort of plug in disabling mediafire. The file has been downloaded well over 3000 times now with no complaints!

Here's what I see when I click that link

5645174509.jpg

I use firefox too...

Edited by pilotsnipes

Yay! With a great suggestion from pilot, I ran my nuvi 500 as a 200 series (no W) and downloaded sox.exe and wahlah! I have alerts and tourguide popups! No little lips and megaphone, but like I told pilot, who needs lips when you have a great macro like this! Thank you so much!! :unsure:

@gardengorilla

I'm really not sure what you're doing wrong, or if your browser has some sort of plug in disabling mediafire. The file has been downloaded well over 3000 times now with no complaints!

Here's what I see when I click that link

5645174509.jpg

I use firefox too...

yes, I was using MediaFire as recommended. It must have been a setting of Firefox as when I switched browsers it worked fine.

So now, today we took the Nuvi out for a test drive and got a proximity alarm so that was exciting...However I don't seem to be getting all the info from the cache page for paperless caching. I don't even have the coordinates. I am guessing here that has to do more with GSAK settings.

Thanks for all the help. I was eventually able to figure it out. Cheers!

Thanks Pilotsnipes! Will give it a try!

I really respect you for the amount of time you give to others.....

Do they show up on the Nuvi 500 series zoomed out?

They show up on the Nuvi 500 but I believe that is because I have them loaded through the geocaching icon that is standard on a 500 and not because of the macro. I have the macro loaded for the cool alerts! :) So basically, I see the boxes and have access to all the info and get the dings and tourguide popups as I'm approaching them. VERY COOL!

I've recently purchased a Nuvi 255w to go with the Oregon and 60 CSx. The idea was that the nuvi would be the car-based cache locator thereby minimising the amount of clutter near the windscreen. I've dropped down the two macros and everything seems fine except...........I don't seem to be able to get any audible proximity warnings to work. Can anybody suggest a solution to this ? I've downloaded all POI loaders as suggested and have followed the instructions (two or three times!)...........All help/suggestions gratefully received.

Valliant Knight.