Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

I am a complete newbie and looking to buy my first unit. Is this just to use your Nuvi to drive to the cache or is the Nuvi used to find the caches once your on foot as well? I thought they weren't accurate enough to use once you were on site adn you needed a handheld unit.

Yes, your nuvi is accurate enough to use as a handheld. Use the satelite screen to get your current coordinates and keep moving around until the current coordinates match the cache's coordinates. In fact, it is just as accurate as a handheld. It just doesn't have that familiar compass rose that points the way.

That said, however, you may find that it's not the best unit for such a purpose. Partly because the software is designed for road navigation and moving from screen to screen to use as a handheld is inefficient. Second, the case of the nuvi is not designed as rugged and the screen can be easily damaged. You wouldn't be happy if you dropped it while scrambling over some rocks.

The beauty of this macro is that it places all of the cache information into your nuvi and directs you to the site.

But to answer your question, yes it is accurate.

Just installed and ran your macro on my Nuvi 550... I've the following comments:

When I tried to use the POILoader you suggest (2.5.2) I got an error message. I continued the transfer and it seemed to work OK, but... I installed the latest POILoader (2.5.3) and I didn't get the error message and it seemed to load OK.

When I look at the Custom POIs I now have on the Nuvi, it seems to show about 52 and that's it. I went for a drive and it seems to show a different 52, I.E. it seems to be showing only the 52 nearest it's location.

When I went for the drive I didn't hear any alerts when I got near a cache, haven't looked into that too much but it seems strange.

I also haven't had a chance to check out the original reason I tried to use this macro... that being the limit to the amount of information the Nuvi will display for the Description section of the cache.

Thanks for the Macro,

Gord

When I look at the Custom POIs I now have on the Nuvi, it seems to show about 52 and that's it. I went for a drive and it seems to show a different 52, I.E. it seems to be showing only the 52 nearest it's location.

That is correct. The nuvi will only show the closest 52 caches (13 pages of 4 each). However, all of the rest are in the memory. That's why it can show different ones as you drive. You can test this by identifying one of the "missing" ones and using the "Spell" button to retrieve it. You'll find that they are all there.

That is correct. The nuvi will only show the closest 52 caches (13 pages of 4 each). However, all of the rest are in the memory. That's why it can show different ones as you drive. You can test this by identifying one of the "missing" ones and using the "Spell" button to retrieve it. You'll find that they are all there.

OK... thanks, that explains that... any idea why the 'alarm' function doesn't seem to work? I can't even find the option in the settings menu. Maybe it's been taken out of the Nuvi 550 ???? :unsure:

Loaded caches in Nuvi 250w with alarm checked and everything looks good...Some questions though..The Y and N for found or not,do I just change the N to Y when I find a cache manually??...I only loaded caches that I have not found,so it's all N so far...I guess I could just run the script over again after a day or two of caching leaving all the found caches out...On this subject,do you have to remove all custom poi's through poiloader,or does the act of adding new poi's through poiloader just overwrites the one's on the unit??..

Pilotsnipes

Great info---But Help Please ?

Have tried 3xs to download the zip pkg from Geo-Caching, does well, and load it into GSAK , every time the distance is off by thousands of miles. Changed from home co-ords to town postal zip code and still off by thousands of miles. Chked input when using co-ords and was correct. Chked zip-code and was correct. So I must be doing something very wrong.

So I get to this point and no further---any suggestions ?

Love the concept and eager to get it into my GPS---Thank-You So Much !!

(Not) 2ys4u

I have been fussing with this for a couple of weeks off and on, to get it to work. Maybe it had something to do with a new computer running vista. I don't know. But, I kept trying different things and today Bingo!

It works just fine.

I, like many other have said, greatly appreciate the work you put into this. The other day while out caching with a pile of papers blowing around in the wind, I got to get this Macro thing to work!! I did!

Thanks again for you efforts.

desertrver

OK, pilotsnipes, I know you must be getting tired of this :) but I gotta give one more testimonial. I was planning a trip over the water to a strange land called Connecticut, but for some reason I was unable to download a new DirectRoute map section to my ExPlorist 500. No problem! I just downloaded a PQ of the caches I wanted to do onto the Nuvi 255 via the macro and as soon as I got off the ferry pulled up the closest one and off I went! I still took the 500 into the woods for trail work, but the Nuvi really saved me as far as getting to the area in the first place, and for having the cache page info right there on the screen.

THANKS AGAIN! :D

OK, I discovered your tutorial while doing some hopeful googling, and boy was I happily suprised! The steps are complicated, but your tutorial really makes it easy (yes, I struggle with computers). This finally convinced me to get a premium membership. I am in awe of the entire process.

We have a 350 but haven't used it for caching before. We have an old yellow etrex that we use I need to get the connector cord for, and then caching will be complete heaven. I can't tell you how many times I've dreaded the printing, organzing, and putting coords into the GPS routine.

THANK YOU!

I just bought a nuvi a few days ago and have been entering WP's manually. I did a search here on the forum for nuvi to see if there was another, easier way to do this and BINGO! I found this post. I had NO problems with any aspect of your directions and I would hug you if I could. THANK YOU! This is the coolest thing ever. Thank you for taking the time to do this - it is so appreciated! THANK YOU!

I had NO problems with any aspect of your directions and I would hug you if I could. THANK YOU!

If you were a lovely looking female I would let you....but don't tell my otherhalf!

Enjoy the macro, and in a few weeks check out the advanced one too from jjreds!

I had NO problems with any aspect of your directions and I would hug you if I could. THANK YOU!

If you were a lovely looking female I would let you....but don't tell my otherhalf!

Enjoy the macro, and in a few weeks check out the advanced one too from jjreds!

LOL - My husband thinks I am pretty cute.

Is there a way to do this as easily to my PN-40. I have had a crash course in GPS technology during the past 72 hours and am on information overload. Any advice would be really appreciated.

I sincerely have to THANK YOU for making this possible!

I just got my Nuvi 205 last week, and after looking for about 10 caches with a bunch of printouts (for hints, logs, tips, etc.) I was starting to dread the decision to buy this unit.

Now with this, is as easy as I wished it to be! Thank you!

Quick question: Does it work with waymarks from the Waymark site? I included the Show Online button using your instructions as an example, and I can get the GPX from the waymarks site to gsak the same as with Geocaches from the gc site as I add individual caches using the download GPX option from the page.

Thank you AGAIN for an excellent method for doing 100% paperless geocaching with Nuvi's.

Edited by shotgunpr

Thanks for the program finally got all downloaded, and really like. The only thing I would like help on is seeing if there is a program/macro that will let me load caches I've already found into my Nuvi 750. I cache with girlfriend who doesn't have all the caches I've found, and if we come close to some she would like to get, but I don't have loaded.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the program finally got all downloaded, and really like. The only thing I would like help on is seeing if there is a program/macro that will let me load caches I've already found into my Nuvi 750. I cache with girlfriend who doesn't have all the caches I've found, and if we come close to some she would like to get, but I don't have loaded.

When you do the query (at geocaching.com) look at the options for which boxes to check. There is one that will be helpful... I can't remember exactly what it says right now. When it comes up on your nuvi, it will have a "Y" instead of a "N" in the title, indicating that you've already found them.

The only thing I would like help on is seeing if there is a program/macro that will let me load caches I've already found into my Nuvi 750.

Simple. When you are in the Build Pocket Queries section, look at the lower left where you will see "My Finds" and click on "Add To Queue". This builds a PQ of ALL your finds with no limiting to 500 as per a regular PQ. Put this gpx file in the same folder as your others for POI Loader to process when you run it. You can have multiple databases of POIs all loaded together. Create a separate icon with the same file name as your Finds if you want to graphically see which is yours.

jjred's Advanced Nuvi Macro will do that just by ticking a check box. Once you feel that you're ready to upgrade, this will be the one you upgrade to.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195389

The error message I get is as follows:

"The file C:\Program Files\Garmin/Geocache TourGuide.gpx is invalid. Do you want to want to continue?"

I suddenly started getting this message from the POI Loadera month or two ago, maybe (after many, many successful runs with the same setup), but it aways worked the 2nd time I ran the whole process. Tonight I saw that I didn't have the most recent macro (v 2.0). I assumed that would fix the issue. But it only made it worse... now I can't get it to work at all!!

Hey there after much frustration i finally got it right, and i must say its just a simple mistake of not following the instruction properly. Now is there anyway we can see the big icons as we travel. Thanks for the effort, have not had the chance to use it but im sure it will be great, comes at a good time as i used to use my pda and it seems to have stopped charging.

i have tryed several times to get this to work on my nuvi 250. i can get the 500 or so geocaches into my gps (which is amazing, it used to only show ten at a time) but i can not figure out how to get it to show the cache page. i downloaded and successfuly installed the nuvi Macro. and even got the little nuvi button to apear in the tool bar on the GSAK page. but still no cache page on my gps unit. what am i doing wrong? anyone with any advice would be welcomed.

thanx

rubberchicken

Just went through the process with my Nuvi 260W. Everything seems to work as described, except I don't get any information concerning the caches except for the waypoints. Routing works ok but I would like to have the additional information about the caches. Any suggestions?

Just went through the process with my Nuvi 260W. Everything seems to work as described, except I don't get any information concerning the caches except for the waypoints. Routing works ok but I would like to have the additional information about the caches. Any suggestions?

You need to hit the "More" button to see the description, hints and past logs.

If that is not the problem, can you post a screen to show what you're referring to?

Pilotsnipes...

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you... I've been geocaching off and on for the past 4 years, but fell way behind the technology curve... Your tutorial was outstanding and reading through your macro provided me with a blast from my college programming days (I swore I would never touch code again! haha)... Yes I was still inputting each cache by hand, until I came across your page. Thank you once again!

~TopheE

Edited by tophee

You need to hit the "More" button to see the description, hints and past logs.

If that is not the problem, can you post a screen to show what you're referring to?

Ahhhhh! That's better. Thank you.

Hope I am doing this correctly.

I uploaded the macro and the POIloader and all was working well until today.

I was trying to load 146 caches. GSAK worked as expected and ran the mcro and the poi loader came up, it went thru till the end where I get this alarm says "the file C:\gsak\garminpoi\Geocache Tour Guide.gpx is invalid" Do you wish to continue? Whether I say yes or no, nothing gets loaded into my Nuvi 260W.

Can you help? Could it be that I loaded GPX files into gsak and also a group as well.

A superb and invaluable guide for Garmin Nuvi users - highly recomended. A suggestion for something else to include (apologies if this is somewhere else on here):

How to create more than one Geocache POI Category and File on your Garmin.

I currently have 3 geocaching POI custom categories, each within their own file, for caching in 3 geographic areas, each 100 miles apart. In total around 4000 records. I only then update the relevant file/category when needed. A useful approach when I go off to France on holiday this year as I will create another category/file for that and delete it when I return so not to to overload my Garmins storage and custom poi category list.

A similar process can be used for splitting geocache poi's into different categories/files in different ways (e.g. caches found or not found, by cache type, by cache owner, with or without TB's, difficulty/terrain etc).

A good tip for good Garmin Housekeeping using a more hands on but adaptable alternative to jjreds advanced macro!!

Here is how I do it and what I do before going out hunting:

1. Obtain the latest geocache data using pocket queries

2. In GSAK I have 3 databases (one per area). Update the relevant DB from the pocket query file.

3. Use pilotsnipes macro to create the Geocache TourGuide files (gpx, bmp, jpg and wav). It creates the main gpx file based only on whatever DB/data you have open at the time. (Using filters you could create the gpx file contents based on other criteria such as cache type/owner etc)

4. Rename each file so they are something like:

GC TourGuide Area1.gpx

GC TourGuide Area1.bmp

GC TourGuide Area1.jpg

GC TourGuide Area1.wav

Note: Its important to include "TourGuide" in the file names for the proximity alert to work. The file name is then used to determine the POI category name on the Garmin.

(pilotsnipes it would be easier if your macro easily allowed us to choose/change the file names without having to manually edit the macro itself. I have tried jjreds Advanced Garmin Macro and that creates standard gpx file names but relies on using the directory names to create the categories into one poi file.)

5. Use POI Loader (I use 2.5.3) to create the poi.gpi file into a directory on an SD card by selecting "Custom Folder [Advanced]" (you can let it create the poi file onto the Garmin itself and these instructions still work but I use an SD card for more space and I don't like fiddling with the files directly on the Garmin in case I do something daft and break it)

6. Rename the poi file to something like area1.gpi (if there is already an old poi file for the same area/name, I delete it first)

7. Repeat the same process for each poi file/category

8. As I use an SD card, when I disconnect the Garmin from the PC, it prompts me to install the file onto the Garmin so that you don't need to rely on the SD card. I click "yes", put a tick in the don't ask again box and then "skip" otherwise this annoying message comes up every time you switch the Garmin on.

This works as the POI loader always adds custom poi's to a file called poi.gpi, in categories using the gpx file name. If it can't find a file called poi.gpi, it creates a new one. However, the Garmin Nuvi will still read and use any gpi file, regardless of what its named as.

Note: You don't have to create more than the one poi.gpi file, just follow steps 1 to 5 only. However if you ever want to update/rename/remove a geocache category, you would need to delete the poi.gpi file and start rebuilding it all from scratch.

This may look quite a long winded process but it only takes a couple of minutes once you get into the routine :)

Further Tip: If you really want to get down and mad about this, you can create your own wav file to replace the one mentioned in step 4. This is the proximity alert sound. The standard is a boring old ping but you could record yourself kindly pointing out that you are nearly at Ground Zero or question your sanity as to why you are stood in a muddy field as it is pooring down with rain, hunting for something that may or not be there when you could be in a nice warm pub, drinking a nice pint of beer. Please post suggestions or your wav files on the forum. The best one will not get a prize but will be questioned by others as to why they are spending valuable caching time spent on the computer talking to themselves!!

Hope that is of help.

P.S. I only use my Garmin Nuvi 255WT for geocaching and so far 100% success but the only issue I found was that using the direction of travel indicator for pinpointing GZ was a pain as it is slow to respond to changes in direction when on foot, which is a regular occurance when walking around trees etc. I found it much easier taking a small cheap compass with me so if I need to go south a bit, its far more likely I will go south and not north. Lower cost than a more suitable on foot GPSr, still no paper needed (okay so I do use paper to write down the co-ordinates to save me having to repeatedly go back to the GC info page, as I have the memory of a goldfish) and takes me back to my boy scout days.

Edited by tavendales

I want to start off by saying THANKS!!!!!! This is one of those programs, like GSAK (thanks Clyde), that people create that make geocaching so much easier. I like using my Nuvi 200W to get me close to the cache and then my Meridian pointer to get me to GZ. But, as luck would have it, my Magellan gave up the ghost yesterday. I was crusing the forums looking for the best unit to buy that I can't afford when I found this thread. Boy and I glad I did. I did not like the idea that I could only load 500 caches to Nuvi or that I had to carry my Palm to get the cache data. Now I can do everything with Nuvi...that is until I can talk the Mrs into a new GPSr. And that might be awhile since I might be unemployed tomorrow. I just finished loading the POI's to Nuvi so I haven't had the chance to check her out. I will do it tonight and report back the results.

Thanks again. :mellow:

Reid

aka WAshington Red Bear

Spent this afternoon learning to import the POI file into my Nuvi, but would like to have different named files other than the "garminpoi" that is the default. How can I have more than one file to import, like "Mar 28" or "Jones County" with results from a specific pocket query. Thanks.

Spent this afternoon learning to import the POI file into my Nuvi, but would like to have different named files other than the "garminpoi" that is the default. How can I have more than one file to import, like "Mar 28" or "Jones County" with results from a specific pocket query. Thanks.

I'm new to this wonderful program myself but there is a way to do it if I'm understanding you correctly. I wanted to do the samething with databases from the four closest towns that I cache/work in. I created different databases in GSAK under the names of each town; town1, town2, etc. I then used the micro to create the files for the POI for town1. When it was completed I went to those four file names and added the "town1" to each of the four files created by the micro: ie..Geocache TourGuide town1.XXX. I performed this operation for each of the four town databases. I then ran POI and it took the sixteen files and added them, and the 2000 cache points of interest, to my SD card for the Nuvi 200W. When you power-up the Nuvi you go to the pages listed in the directions for this wonderful micro and you will see a listing to display "All" and a button for each of the four towns (in my case) that I loaded. Select the one you want and geocache away.

I hope this helps...or somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

Reid

aka WAshington Red Bear

Edited by WARedBear

Is there a way to delete the caches listed in my Nuvi 200W favorites without doing the system reset (holding down the bottom right corner of the display when you power-up)? Besides going through all 500 caches and deleting them individually....

Thanks Reid

I just noticed that on my Nuvi 265WT that found cache icons are staying on the map even though I've updated from a PQ of "Caches Not Found By Me".

The cache icon is there along with its GC number but if I search for the GC# no cache info page is found on the Nuvi.

Its very likely this is something I'm doing wrong with the macro or GSAK, just not sure what it is.

I apologize if this had been asked before. I'll confess I didn't read all 18 pages of this thread.

Thanks.

Check in "Favorites" It might be there. Did you download from the "Send to GPS" button?

Thanks!

I get them from a emailed Pocket Query and then use Pilot's macro. Looks like a bunch of stuff ended up in Favorites!

I didn't put them there intentionally. I wonder how that is happening.

My morning drive to work went something like this.....I turned on my Nuvi 200W with it's new updated caching POI's. I notice the top green banner turn red and with a tourguide waypoint. I wonder....I unmute my sound and to my amazement....DING!!!!....I look down at the screen and I see a little green cache box pop-up on the display. DING!!! and another cache box. This is just to good to be true. I read posts here and on Garmin.com that the 2XX series of Nuvi didn't produce sound...I must have misread it. Anyway. So I decide to try Nuvi out looking for a cache. I take an exit for a BK burger and what do I see...three caches near by. So I zero in on one and the hint pointed me to the cache more than Nuvi. So I head off to the second one. Nuvi's checkered flag is in one spot so I park there. I switch over to the secret satellite screen and the cords are off. So I walk down the road and zero in on the posted cords. I look around and sure enough I find the cache. I head off to work and decide to try a few more when I get off. Just so happens there are three caches at my exit. The first one is in a parking lot and the checkered flag pulls me over to the edge of the lot. I look around and find nothing. I switch over to the secret screen and again the coords are pointing to a different location. I drive over to the light post and sure enough the coords are right on. The moral of this story is to use the secret screen (hold down the satellite bars for three seconds) to view your exact current location and use those to zero in on the cache. Don't use the checkered flag...not even in pedestrian mode. Remember the North coords go up when you travel north and the West coords go up when you travel west. Or do like I did and walk around and around until you find ground zero.

Thanks again for this wonderful program and your wonderful help screens. Now I have to convince my wife that I still need a new GPS'r to replace my Magellan that crashed this weekend.

Later

Reid

aka WAshington Red Bear

This is what I had to do to pre-boot mode for the Nuvi 680:

1 Press on left corner

2 Press power button

3 Wait for the Pre-Boot Mode to come on

4 Let off the power button,and push back down

5 Let off the left hand corner, and push back down

6 let off the letf hand corner again

7 let off the power button

Thanks for the quick response and assistance.

Edited by Team lite_rod

I also, have not read all 18 pages of this thread, so these have probably been asked before.

1) Is there an explanation somewhere for how I can change the one-line name/description? I've been using a different one-liner I made during the GPX export that suits my way of thinking better than the default in the macro. This is the one I use in GSAK

%Smart=20 %con1 (%Dif1a/%Ter1a)

2) Apparently, there's a limit on the number of logs. I like lots of logs in case I can't find it. Is there a way to increase the number of logs to the total I keep in GSAK?

Okay, I may have blundered my way through the first question. I've got something that resembles what I want. Interestingly I had to modify the narrow screen code -- modding the wide screen had no effect, yet I have a wide gadget.

This really is a terrific macro. If I can increase the number of logs I can probably abandon my palmtop.

Okay, I may have blundered my way through the first question. I've got something that resembles what I want. Interestingly I had to modify the narrow screen code -- modding the wide screen had no effect, yet I have a wide gadget.

I have made several modifications to the script; this is one of them. I was puzzled that it spent 3 characters on the cache type when 1 would do. So I fixed it, and then experimented with longer strings until it reached the limit for my device.

The other change I made was to allow multiple exports from the same database. Boy, I wish there were a way in a GSAK macro to get the name of the active filter! I fixed it by just adding a combobox control to the GUI in the spot where there was large text telling me which unit I am using.