Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

The only problem is that old cache files are still in my Nuvi's internal memory and the DINGER drives me nuts. I'd like to go in and remove all these old cache files and I don't know what is what in there. Do these type files have a certain extension suffix. I'd like to clean house and start fresh, but I don't want to remove something critical. Anyone know how to do this?

Can you run POI Loader and tell it to delete old POIs, with the Nuvi plugged in and SD card removed?

Been trying to retrace my original steps (from tutorial) and to how I got it to work the first time.

I tried your suggestion and still they were in the internal memory of the Nuvi.

I decided to start from scratch...cleared the Nuvi (as per the Nuvi's help screen), the SD(via a card reader in the USB port on the PC), got rid of GSAK, this macro and POILoader. I reloaded GSAK, the macro and POILoader then dropped a PQ zip in GSAK. Everything is working up to the point were the macro sends it to POILoader. The Macro tells me that everything was sent to POILoader and that POILoader is "minimized below in the toolbar". The POILoader doesn't show up in the toolbar. When I hunt POILoader down in C:\program files\gsak\poiloader it apparently doesn't have the gpx file. Strange.

My computer acted kind of strange when I downloaded the POILoader software. That may be my problem now. I may try this whole deal on my daughter's laptop to see if it works there when I get more time.

My GSAK (XP) installed into c:\gsak instead of c:\program files\gsak. Can you check c:\gsak\poiloader?

Mine:

C:\gsak\poiloader>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is xxxx-xxxx

Directory of C:\gsak\poiloader

11/09/2008  12:40 AM	<DIR>		  .
11/09/2008  12:40 AM	<DIR>		  ..
10/28/2008  11:13 PM			 1,336 Geocache TourGuide.bmp
11/09/2008  12:40 AM			24,630 Geocache TourGuide.gpx
11/09/2008  12:40 AM			14,346 Geocache TourGuide.jpg
11/04/2008  10:24 PM			54,237 Geocache TourGuide.mp3
		   4 File(s)		 94,549 bytes
		   2 Dir(s)   ------------- bytes free

Edited by Chrysalides

My GSAK (XP) installed into c:\gsak instead of c:\program files\gsak. Can you check c:\gsak\poiloader?

Well.....today I moved mine around like you said yours is. All went well except that POILoader still did not appear in the bar below. Figured that the 450 caches files did go to POILoader so I found it in c:\gsak\poiloader and used it to transfer........it said I'd successfully transferred 4 custom POI's to my Nuvi's SD card.

I check the Nuvi and the four it loaded on SD were like Garmin facilities in the US, Europe and Asia. Go figure. I think POILoader is the problem and I sent an email to Garmin to find out.

I check the Nuvi and the four it loaded on SD were like Garmin facilities in the US, Europe and Asia. Go figure. I think POILoader is the problem and I sent an email to Garmin to find out.

Maybe you can call one of the facilities for help :anitongue:

Very strange. Which version of POI Loader are you running, and are you using XP or Vista?

I provided a link to the version of POI Loader I'm using (on XP) somewhere on page 13. I got it off Garmin's website.

Maybe you can call one of the facilities for help :unsure:

Very strange. Which version of POI Loader are you running, and are you using XP or Vista?

I provided a link to the version of POI Loader I'm using (on XP) somewhere on page 13. I got it off Garmin's website.

Chrysalides and Pilotsnipes,

Today I dumped the POILoader version that I'd originally loaded from Pilotsnipes' page. It was 2.5.2. Then, just for giggles I decided to load 2.5.3 directly from Garmin's site and during the install it locked up my PC with a blue-screen. It acted strange with 2.5.2 and 2.5.3 locks it up

For some reason my computer doesn't like POILoader. I'll call Garmin if they don't reply by email. BTW, the PC I have is running Windows XP.

Today I dumped the POILoader version that I'd originally loaded from Pilotsnipes' page. It was 2.5.2. Then, just for giggles I decided to load 2.5.3 directly from Garmin's site and during the install it locked up my PC with a blue-screen. It acted strange with 2.5.2 and 2.5.3 locks it up

:unsure:

Since I work on software, I can pretty much predict Garmin's response - that they can't reproduce the problem on their system.

Some standard suggestions for any PC issues:

1. Do you have enough hard disk space?

2. Check your disk for errors (right click on disk under My Computer, select Tools tab, click on Check Now and select "Automatically fix file system errors".

3. Disable any anti virus programs - unless you don't feel comfortable doing it. Or if you're not running any, scan your system for viruses, adware or spyware.

4. Check your system for other issues such as bad memory, etc. You can try memtest86 (google for it - all you need to do is burn an ISO image to CD and boot up from the CD).

5. Do you have things like Google Desktop Search (known to cause problems with some software)? What can you think of about your system that would make it "non-standard" (in Garmin's opinion)?

:laughing:

Since I work on software, I can pretty much predict Garmin's response - that they can't reproduce the problem on their system.

2. Check your disk for errors (right click on disk under My Computer, select Tools tab, click on Check Now and select "Automatically fix file system errors".

3. Disable any anti virus programs - unless you don't feel comfortable doing it. Or if you're not running any, scan your system for viruses, adware or spyware.

4. Check your system for other issues such as bad memory, etc. You can try memtest86 (google for it - all you need to do is burn an ISO image to CD and boot up from the CD).

5. Do you have things like Google Desktop Search (known to cause problems with some software)? What can you think of about your system that would make it "non-standard" (in Garmin's opinion)?

Thanks, I will try your suggestions this weekend.

Chrysalides, I answered in your text below.

34Gb is available.

In my PC's "My Computer" doesn't have a disk under it, so I have no way of knowing how to do this one.

AVG says everything is OK and I don't feel like disabling it. I ran Adaware and it just showed normal stuff it finds.Nothing unusual.

Googled/downloaded Memtest86 (Freebie) from C\net downloads, but something called WinRar pops up after download and says it's not a free program and I can't unzip the Memtest86 to let it run.

No, I don't have Google Desktop Search.

Another thing.....I called Garmin's software support. The tech did a remote assist session and basically told me that POILoader 2.5.2 (the version I want) was installed on my PC and it was functioning properly.

Question with regards to using Nuvi255W for the True Paperless Geocaching and Extra Tips associated with Waypoint Alerts. Ist I love the application, must have been a lot of work, thanks a thousand, we all can now enjoy without having to cut down those extra trees feeding the paper print off. On my Nuvi225W when the chime rings there is no "speaker with lips" icon to touch to get cache info, I have to go through several screens to enter PoIs and see the cache info. When it chimes there is the small black widow showing "Tour Guide:...." but no "speaker with lips". Is there a fix for this? Or is it a shortcoming of the Nuvi255W.

I just joined this forum a few weeks ago after my first time out geocaching. I haven't gone geocaching since, but I do already have an automotive GPS (Garmin StreetPilot 2730). I am thinking about getting another GPS for my other vehicles, geocaching, and ATVing. I saw that REI has the Garmin Nuvi 500 for $289.99. I am tempted to get that, but then I ran across this thread and I am wondering if I should get a different GPS and download GSAK? I am wondering if anybody here can compare and contrast the Garmin Nuvi 500/550 to a different Nuvi with GSAK. I am not interested in any sort of handheld GPS at this time. One of the biggest advantages to me to using a different GPS would be something with a wide screen, multiple destination routing, and spoken test to speech, like a Garmin Nuvi 750. One of the biggest advantages for me of the 500/550 is weather resistance. I would not mount it on my ATV, but rather have it in a cordura nylon case in a storage compartment when needed. If my wife has any input on this, she would want a pink or red Nuvi.

PilotSnipes,

I've got a Nuvi 760 and have used your macro to generate the Nuvi info conversion for POI Upload from GSAK. My database file has 500 points, but yet when it uploads, there are more than 800 POI's, many are duplicates. Looking at the custom POI's in my GPSr shows many duplicates, one right after another.

Do you have any suggestions, or thoughts as to why? Is this a macro issue, or perhaps a GSAK issue?

Thanks for the help.

BBoC

PilotSnipes,

Thanks so much for this macro, great job!

One thing I find I need is a way to some of my own notes to what gets uploaded to the Nuvi (for instance the answers to some puzzle caches). So I was thinking about using the "user notes" field in GSAK, however the macro doesn't seem to include those notes.

I made a small change to the macro to get them included. Do you think this is the correct approach, or is the a better way to do this. If you are interested in my change, I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

Thanks,

John

GSAK has a function in it called "Corrected Coordinates". Look under "Waypoint\Corrected Coordinates". You enter the corrected coordinates and GSAK will return those new ones as the primary coordinates. In addition, there is a flag available under "View\Add/Delete Columns" where you would select "Corrected Coordinates Indicator". This column then contains a yellow flag (sort of like the little bug in the TB column) for any caches with corrected coordinates. That is then sortable.

GSAK has a function in it called "Corrected Coordinates". Look under "Waypoint\Corrected Coordinates". You enter the corrected coordinates and GSAK will return those new ones as the primary coordinates. In addition, there is a flag available under "View\Add/Delete Columns" where you would select "Corrected Coordinates Indicator". This column then contains a yellow flag (sort of like the little bug in the TB column) for any caches with corrected coordinates. That is then sortable.

Thanks for the pointer - I don't really like "corrected Coordinates" as I want the original to the parking area - However, I can just add a child waypoint as "Final Location" and that does the trick quite nicely. Thanks for the help.

John

Edited by jmonti

Just picked up a nuvi760 and am having a ball integrating it with GSAK, my 60CSx, etc. I've gone through the tutorial and have generated the POI and can go to individual caches. What I would really like is to be able to see ALL the caches on the map or at least the categories I select. Looks like I need to use the proximity/alert feature, but I see your warning that Garmin has issues with the 760 and it might crash. Has a fix been found yet? Can I go ahead without fearing a crash?

Thanks,

wasian

Bonney Lake, WA

Edited by Barry&Della

This looks like a great set up. I followed the steps but I get an error message "WAIT token must be yes or no".

I am sure I did something wrong but can't figure out what. Any help?

Thanks for the reply. Due to a death in my family I am out of town and am using a public 'puter. I will check when I get home.

You are using GSAK v7 ??

Yes, I am using Version 7.2.3.35. I am also using Windows XP. I am so close to being able to use this great program you so well wrote for this "kindergartne" for my Nuvi 680. It just uploads deleted old caches I have already found.

Edited by Bobmo38

You are using GSAK v7 ??

Yes, I am using Version 7.2.3.35. I am also using Windows XP. I am so close to being able to use this great program you so well wrote for this "kindergartne" for my Nuvi 680. It just uploads deleted old caches I have already found.

Are you sure the POIL is pointing to the same folder that the generated GPX files were exported to. You might try running the POIL manually to make sure.

I have a Garmin nuvi 500 and when I load the 500 pocket quires in the GPS they caches show up just find on the screen but the only ones I get a alarm on it the ones that are on the street that I'm driving on... if the cache is off the street 50 feet or more I don't get a alarm..I understand the I have to set up a TourGuide to get a alarm for all the caches..well I have tried and I can't get it to work..I have change the files from GPX to CSV and still no good..Can anyone help..?? I would like the alarm so I don't have to watch the screen all the time..and when I get a alarm then I can get my handheld out and get the cache..I have posted this before and didn't get a answer maybe you guys can help..thanks

I have a Garmin nuvi 500 and when I load the 500 pocket quires in the GPS they caches show up just find on the screen but the only ones I get a alarm on it the ones that are on the street that I'm driving on... if the cache is off the street 50 feet or more I don't get a alarm..I understand the I have to set up a TourGuide to get a alarm for all the caches..well I have tried and I can't get it to work..I have change the files from GPX to CSV and still no good..Can anyone help..?? I would like the alarm so I don't have to watch the screen all the time..and when I get a alarm then I can get my handheld out and get the cache..I have posted this before and didn't get a answer maybe you guys can help..thanks

You shouldn't need to change the filename... once the macro has finished running, load up POI Loader and point it to the appropriate folder. From there, it's up to you to set up the proximity alerts. Don't forget to set POI LOader to manual mode (instead of express mode) or you will never see the options to set up the proximity alerts.

Hey i had a quick question. I bought the Nuvi 205w a few days ago for the only purpose of getting this program onto it :D...and i have to say i love it. The only thing i have a question about is....while on the map is there a way to view all the POI (caches) on the map at one time--kind of like the geocaching maps were it shows all the caches on a map? I can get one cache on the map by going Custom POI-(cache)-map, but is there a place were i can view all of them?

Thanks~Jay

Edited by Jayrod7

Just picked up a nuvi760 and am having a ball integrating it with GSAK, my 60CSx, etc. I've gone through the tutorial and have generated the POI and can go to individual caches. What I would really like is to be able to see ALL the caches on the map or at least the categories I select. Looks like I need to use the proximity/alert feature, but I see your warning that Garmin has issues with the 760 and it might crash. Has a fix been found yet? Can I go ahead without fearing a crash?

Thanks,

wasian

Bonney Lake, WA

It depends what nuvi software version you have, if not the most recent. It usually gets updated when you register, or you can download the Webupdater from Garmin. If someone does have an issue, it would help if they said which nuvi 7xx SW version they are running (Tools. Settings, System, About).

I just started looking at this thread this morning because when I tried to load a PQ gpx as Favorites on my 750, caches had no info (blank comment field), and when loaded as POI's, they were "all" named "POI" with summary, but no reference to GC ID.

When I first tried this script...same thing, all name POI. Oops! :D Path to "gsak/poiloader/" directory did not carry over from the macro, so it had reloaded the problem POI. Once I used POI Loader to load from proper directory, it worked. I heeded the warning about alerts, but then decided to try them and all is well. :unsure: My 750 has nuvi SW v4.20.

From what I could gather, the issue was that if you did a Go To (other than a POI or cache) while getting an alert, the unit would turn off. In simulation mode I hit Go To, Home while getting an alert for 2 nearby caches, and my car turned around and headed home without incident.

The only issue I know of with nuvi 7xx SW v4.20 is that if you try to optimize multipoint routes the endpoint may be deleted and one of the mid-points duplicated. There are some versions 4.3-4.5 floating around in new units that have not been released yet. Due to v4.0 issues some people cling to earlier versions. Version 4.1 just had a minor issue with stuttering voices (resolved in 4.2) Attempting to backdate from 4.x versions can kill your Bluetooth.

Great macro BTW. I was pulling my hair out (don't have much left) trying to usefully feed these into my nuvi, and this makes it effortless.

As I stated earlier: great job with the macro. My trial run went well. I do have one question.

*when I approach a cache Miss Nuvi states, "arriving at (name of cache) comma gcxxx (waypoint)" is there anyway to edit what she says? Like most women she talks too much! Sorry could not resist.

When you make comments like that, I've heard of only one way. However, it's usually not much fun and may seriously impact your ability to cache. Anyway, after you're out of the hospital and recovered a little, you'll need to give her and her lawyer half your stuff. Not only will she shut up, she and your geo-truck will probably disappear. Chances are good you'll get your wish and it'll be a whole lot quieter without her and the little nuvis. BTW, I understand you can shorten the process by taking a swing at her the first time you feel like she's talked too much.

Sorry, could not resist either! :D

Running a P.C. windows xp, with the latestGSAK Version 7. Seems to download the Nuvi export program. Attempts to engage the macro button are futile. Program can't seem to locate the file. Back out / delete / and repeated installs meets with the same result. Whine, whine, whine snivel, snivel..

YAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO !!!! UP and running !!!!!! Solicited assistance from Son-in-law who is tall in the saddle with IBM in their computer end. He dismantled my very tall and very thick firewall ... frequently commenting that what I had in place could have protected Fort Knox. Many Thanks for your work on this feature.

First of all thanks to pilotsnipes and all who have added to this forum. I am a noob who just purchased a Nuvi 200W. I loaded the macro and have had it working beautifully.

I have three questions though ...

1) I drive a wide verity of areas throughout the day and do not always know where I’m going. Using the maximum 500 pocket queries I only get about a 10 X 10 square mile radius from my house (I live in a heavily populated area). If I use multiple starting spots or route planners and have each pull 500 queries I can get a much larger area to explore no matter where I wind up during the day.

With that said when I transfer the zip file to GSAK will some of the caches overlap, and does that cause a problem? Does GSAK filter these to make a large cache bank that I then can transfer to my Nuvi? How many POI's can the average Nuvi hold? Ideally I would like to have a 60 mile North - South by 20 mile E – W block of caches that can be updated weekly. I believe that would be many, many, many caches.

2) I finally (thanks to you) have found the satellite screen. I was up to that point using the "where am I" screen. Are there any major benefits to using the satellite screen (All those symbols and things are way above my head)?

3) According to the users guide my Nuvi can store up to 500 waypoints. I thought that POI's were waypoints but I have already over 500 POI's plus numerous favorites that I programmed in (I believe those are waypoints). Is there a difference?

Thanks for you tutelage and patience.

With that said when I transfer the zip file to GSAK will some of the caches overlap, and does that cause a problem? Does GSAK filter these to make a large cache bank that I then can transfer to my Nuvi? How many POI's can the average Nuvi hold? Ideally I would like to have a 60 mile North - South by 20 mile E – W block of caches that can be updated weekly. I believe that would be many, many, many caches.

It will not cause a problem, but you should read the Pocket Query Guilde - towards the end of the page it teaches you how to separate your query by "Placed Date" for a large radius.

) I finally (thanks to you) have found the satellite screen. I was up to that point using the "where am I" screen. Are there any major benefits to using the satellite screen (All those symbols and things are way above my head)?

Not sure about your "where am I" screen, but mine is not very precise. With the satellite screen, I know my exact position, GPSr accuracy, and which direction I'm moving. And, not important for geocaching, but could be useful in other situations, it is the only screen where I can see altitude.

According to the users guide my Nuvi can store up to 500 waypoints. I thought that POI's were waypoints but I have already over 500 POI's plus numerous favorites that I programmed in (I believe those are waypoints). Is there a difference?

I believe the 500 waypoints refer to "Favorites". I'm not sure what is the limit in POIs - I've loaded mine with over 2000 and it doesn't seem like there is any limit except for memory.

Edited by Chrysalides

I must be a major outlier, Have another problem. Nuvi 760 recognizes caches, however, when the Go to button is pressed the unit simply shuts down. The shutdown is across the spectrum. road Nav and geo nav. Any thoughts and suggestion would be most appreciated

Have you checked the software version of your nuvi to make sure you have the lastest version? You can do that at Garmin.com.

First of all, excellant job on this Macro. Ive been caching for 2 yrs with a 60CSx and a PDA. This rocks mucho better.

My question has to do with the proximity function. I did as the tutorial says. I looked at the location of several of my yet to be found caches and where they are located compared to the route I drive to work. On the first one, I could see it on the screen off to the side, but as I drove by it, I didnt get any alarm as I thought I might. The other two which Im positive were within the distance I had set(1500 ft) didnt even show up on the screen. All three of the caches were within the 1500 foot limit I had set. I had the Nuvi 260W on the map screen which shows the automobile and the roads.

In order for the alert to work, does it matter what screen Im on?

You may possibly be talking about two different things. It does not matter what screen you have showing on-screen as far as the "beep" is concerned.

The Favorites (the 500) loaded separately will show up on the screen as Treasure Chests as you drive by but will not beep. The beep function is associated with the POI files generated by this macro. The POI caches will not show (unless you are really zoomed in) on the screen until you are within the radius you set.

When a POI cache is within your set radius, it will beep and the macro's icon will show up (trad as a green shoebox, multi as a orange double shoebox, etc.).

If you have the same cache loaded in Favorites AND the POI file, it will show on the 3D screen as a Treasure Chest until it's within your range. At that point it will beep and change to the macro's icon (i.e. the green shoebox vs. the treasure chest).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Im almost positive I followed the direction precisely when loading the GSAK macro to the 260W.

When I hit Where To? The only way I can see the POI's is if I hit Extras. If I hit Favorites, all I get is Garmin USA, Garmin Europe, and Garmin Asia.

While Im at it, How do I delete POI's from the Nuvi. Ive seen where they are in

My Computer/Garmin/POI/poi.gpi

Can I manually delete the poi.gpi file to clear the POI's out of the unit?

Since the caches that i did load on the unit only show up as custom POI's then shouldnt the proximity feature be available?

From your description, it seems you are not using the Favorites memory section, which is fine. I also get the three Garmin waypoint if I don't load anything else - it's Garmin's default "current.gpx" file. However, you do mention "On the first one, I could see it on the screen off to the side..." which seems to indicate that it is being generated by the Favorites category. The POIs do not show up on the screen unless you are really zoomed in. And then, I think it's only a dot (not sure here, I don't zoom in that far).

Getting to the POIs is through Extras as you said. You should have various categories (Multi, Trad, Unknown, etc.).

I assume you are processing only one database with the Tourguide option and the alert is set to 1500 feet. If you are processing more than one database, you can set different options (i.e. one can have alerts and the other not and/or different alert distances, etc.). All caches within the database will "alert" the same.

Yes, you can manually delete the poi file. Or you can overwrite the poi with a new set of caches. One note, you cannot delete one cache at a time from the POI list (you can if it's in the Favorites).

The only way the Alerts function would treat caches differently would be if they were loaded from different databases.

Ok, I was able to give this macro a real test run today on a long trip. I ended up increasing the proximity to 2000 feet which seems to help. When I did come within 2000 ft of a cache, the Unit would ding and across the top of the screen I would see the cache name, etc.

Should I have gotten the lips/megaphone icon?

Should I have gotten a GO button?

If not, I can still go to the EXTRA button to bring the cache up.

This evening I created 16 queries, sorting caches by date placed. I ended up with 7000 caches to bring into GSAK. (7000 traditionals within 100 miles of my home).

Is there way to force GSAK to use to SD card for the POI's?

Looking at the properties of the Nuvi, there doesnt seem to be very much available space left, yet the SD card sits there empty.