Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

Just wanted to say this is AMAZING! Thank you Pilotsnipes for all of your time and effort ~ I am a non-programmer and have no idea how it works but it does. I have a 260 (not W) and everything loaded and works fine if I go to a cache page and save it to my geocaches file. I cannot load a whole PQ though. Tried 2 different queries for 200/250 caches and when I try to import or drag and drop them to GSAK I have the message

This file does not pass XML validation and will be ignored.

C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER~1.YOU\DESKTOP\FIRSTQ~1:1:2: not well formed

If I save it to a geocaches file I've created, I get the same message just with the different filepath.

Can anyone help me with what I'm doing wrong?

I've loaded 450 caches into GSAK, run the macro, and watched all 450 caches get processed. When I run the proper version of POILoader, it sends only 278 caches to the nuvi. I reran POILoader and removed all the caches, then repeated the whole process, still loading only 278 caches of 450. I tried again to load them onto an SD card in the nuvi and still, only 278 caches loaded. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thank you in advance,

Brian

I think I found the answer a few pages back. I'm loading caches that are +4000 miles away and I think all the caches are loaded properly, but it's just not reported that way as they're loading into the nuvi. Right?

Edited by bpc232

Works fine with Mobile XT, including showing detailed notes. I have all 25+K unfound UK caches loaded. As I have Colorado, I use same gpx files. When PDA is connected you get the option in POILoader to transfer to either Main Memory or Card in Mobile XT.

Thanks for that.

When I tried it seemed to load the pages in HTML format (showing all the <br> etc), I was unable to scroll down to see the next bit of info, and unable to remove any of the POIs despity trying through the "manage data" route ("no POI databases found") or by removing with POI loader

PilotSnipes,

This is a very cool process. Some observations.

I have a zumo 550 - it seems to work as a 6xx - but I wonder if I am missing anything

If a cache name contains the character "&" the POIloader says it is an invalid GPX file

Is there a way to change the name of the GPX file to the Filter Name from GSAK?

Thanks

Brad

After a little while running the macro I get an error message saying "unable to open table: \program files\GSAK\data\Default\CACHES.DBF."

This happens with a large filter set. i.e. > 800 points.

Any solution for this?

Running for a Nuvi 200 series

LTeunis

Edited by LTeunis

Hi PilotSnipes,

Thanks for the tutorial. While it took me quite a bit longer than 20 minutes, I eventually got all 1654 waypoints loaded into my Garmin Nuvi 650, and I'm anxious to go try it. Prior to this I was loading the coordinates into my Nuvi, then into my GPSr once I got in the general vicinity. Hopefully this will speed up my geocaching experience.

Thanks again,

Pete of Camnpete

Hi

Thanks so much for putting this out there for everyone. Very generous!

I am not having as much luck loading everything as everyone else though. I think I've done something wrong. I hit the Nuvi button and got a Macro Pause message. It wants to know where the POILoader.exe is located. How should I proceed? Continue? Proceed? or Stop Macro now?

Thanks in advance

Did you run the POIL manually the first time (from the desktop, not from within the macro). Make note of the location on your harddrive where the .exe file is located. Mine, for example is in "C:\Program Files\Garmin" which, I believe, is the default folder. Check on the first page of the macro, dead center, to see if it is pointing to the right folder.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I dont know. I tried downloading POILoader 2.5.2 initially before hitting the Nuvi button but when it asked for the location of files, there were no files there so the set up got held up. I am not clear on the point which I should download the POILoader application. I have been able to download the pocket query into the GSAK application and I was able to install the Macro and create the button for the Nuvi but I am hung up at this point. This is frustrating knowing that everyone did this so easily but I am having so much trouble. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I dont know. I tried downloading POILoader 2.5.2 initially before hitting the Nuvi button but when it asked for the location of files, there were no files there so the set up got held up. I am not clear on the point which I should download the POILoader application. I have been able to download the pocket query into the GSAK application and I was able to install the Macro and create the button for the Nuvi but I am hung up at this point. This is frustrating knowing that everyone did this so easily but I am having so much trouble. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'll give it a shot. Sounds like you got it all rready to run. Try clicking your new Nuvi button you installed in GSAK. It should open the "Paperless Geocaching for the Garmin Nuvi" window. Leave the default settings as is. On my laptop the folder to export to is: C:\gsak\poiloader, and the folder where POI Loader is: C:\Program Files\Garmin. Yours may differ, but leave the defaults. My two other boxes have No, and Before Logs.

Click Start, and it should take a bit to run thru all your caches. It creates 3 files in the C:\gsak\poiloader folder: Geocache TourGuide.gpx, Geocache TourGuide.bmp, and Geocache TourGuide.jpg. From here it starts POI Loader and you point to where those files are, and when connected to the PC/laptop it loads all as custom POIs. I may have missed some points but hope this helps.

This thread is to be used for all help/support/bug fixes for the tutorial at the website above.

So, for all help/queries/support/requests, please post away here.

All I ask is a few simple requests

* Be polite.

* Don't demand anything, I do this in my spare time and will help when I can.

* If you discover something good or find a better way to do things, please share it with us!

Enjoy the hunt.

Wow! This looks great! I just got everything loaded on my Nuvi...can't wait to use it. I think this has just added a new dimension to Geocaching for me.:)

It seems to be working now but there are only 50 custom POIs. I know I've noticed this issue in the forum previously. Thanks for the help!

It may be you are seeing the closest 50 POIs to your current location. Not sure what unit you're using, but click on or search by Name/Spell, or whatever, and you should see the others. You will have all the waypoints loaded that were in the GSAK file. As a test, search by name for some that you know are far from you.

Fantastic job pilotsnipes works like a charm. 000202C7.gif Glad I found this.

before I had to export from GSAK to Mapsourse then transfer to the Nuvi into favourites and all I'd get is the waypoint but no info. Only could transfer 500.

What is the limit for POI's

I my be able to do with out my PDA now.

000201F9.gif

Fantastic job pilotsnipes works like a charm. Glad I found this. Before I had to export from GSAK to Mapsourse then transfer to the Nuvi into favourites and all I'd get is the waypoint but no info. Only could transfer 500.

What is the limit for POI's?

Available memory is the only limit.

Edited by Timpat

G'day PilotSnipes

I've followed your instructions, created the button on GSAK & had GSAK process waypoints from my PQ. Then when I run POILoader & get to "Please select the directory where the data files can be found" it defaults to C:\GSAK\poiloader & upon clicking OK I get this error: Windows cannot find 'C:\Program files\Garmin\sox.exe followed by 'Unable to convert C:\GSAK\POIloader/geocache Tourguide.wav.....

Then despite all this it goes on & states: Congratulationa! All POI have been added or words to that effect.

Initially it appeared only 50 waypoints had been added however I noted TIMPAT's comment, did a search & indeed all are there.

So, do I ignore these two errors or is there something I can do to get rid of them?

Also is it the norm that only 50 waypoints appear & you have to do a search for the others?

Thanks

Tuena

PS: Only my second time in these forums so added a new topic first up & ended up having a brand new topic out there in cyberland. Adding a reply this time to see how that goes. If that doesn't work will see if there is any info on how to use forums.

I just stumbled onto this Macro and I've got to mention that this is probably the best yet!!!! Thanks for the mac and the hard work.

I just installed on my Nuvi 360 and haven't tried it yet outdoors (stuck in the office today) but I can't wait.

Now if you could only get it to find the closest WiFi (oh and install WiFi on the Nuvi) I could log it from there. I will have to just keep using the Blackberry Pearl for that.

Thanks again for the great addition to GSAK!

Ron

Further to my previous post

I assume the errors I experienced when running POIloader need to be fixed as I have just run the latter to add 24 urban caches & it has over-written the previous 204 rural caches on the Nuvi. I confirmed this by doing a search & all of the rural caches have gone.

Just in case I had selected the incorrect option (remove all previously installed custom POI's) I re-ran POIloader for the rural caches & then did a search again. Now I have reversed the situation & have rural caches & no city ones!

Having absolutely no luck with this idea.

Perhaps the Garmin software used in Australia is different to that sold in the U.S.

Thanks

Edited by Tuena

I assume the errors I experienced when running POIloader need to be fixed as I have just run the latter to add 24 urban caches & it has over-written the previous 204 rural caches on the Nuvi. I confirmed this by doing a search & all of the rural caches have gone.

Having absolutely no luck with this idea.

Thanks

I may be misunderstanding your comment, however, every time you run the POI loader it erases all existing POIs when it loads the new ones. That is normal.

TillaMurphs said:
Tuena said:

Wow. Tuena, I just noticed you are from Shoalhaven. I spent a month there about 15 years ago. What a beautiful area you live in. I loved the time I spent there and the people were so nice.

It’s a small world.

G'evening TillaMurphs

I've lived in the Shoalhaven for 30 years & particularly like the natural areas. Not too sure whether replying to this correctly. I re-read the screen in question & you're right. How then can I emulate the likes of Camnpete (15/9) & load 1654 POIs on my Nuvi? I've been going round in circles since Wednesday.

I've figured it out, I think!! I create a database for each State on GSAK, then run POILoader. So if I want to travel to Tassie I run POILoader from the Tassie database & away I go.

SUPER utility.

I use a Nuvi 260W and love it. I bought 6 - 512mb SD cards at a camera shop for $5 each. I travel to about 5 or 6 areas in the midwest. I get a PQ with 500 caches in each of the areas I'm going to be in...put each area on a different card, and when I'm in the area, insert the card and go. The only annoying part is everytime I start the unit up it asks whether or not I want to load the file into the unit.

Do you know of any way to stop that? I only bought the unit a couple weeks ago and am sure that there are many things yet to discover.

For any of you who may want to do the same, grab the cards soon because the smallest one being manufactured now is 1gig. Can't beat $5.

Thanks again for a GREAT macro...

Doug&Di

With some nuvis, if you respond "Yes" to that first prompt, you will get a second prompt which will allow you to skip that file and then you won't get prompted again.

Also, you don't need to put them on separate cards if you don't want to. Just put each PQ in a separate folder in your Custom POI folder on your computer, and load all of them at the same time, and then each one will have a separate category listing on your nuvi.

Hallo,

I use your macro with a nuvi 750, and I am very happy that it works great (26000 POI-caches). I only have problems with the cache GC1AGJB. This one has special charactes in its description, which destroy the GPX-File.

POI-Loader says, that the GPX-File C:\gsak\poiloader/Geocach TourGuide.gpx ist not OK.

You see the SLASH where normaly the BACKSLASH must be!!

When I filter off that cache the GPX-file is OK.

I can't find the characters which causes the problem but I'm shure you will.

Thanx

Schnüffelhunde

I used the macro one time and it worked PERFECT! I loved it! Now when I load the file using the POILOADER I only seem to get 48 caches under my Custom POIs section. The Database has 500 waypoints and the macro indicates 500 exported. Any ideas?

The nuvi 200 shows about 4.45MB free. The file that is created by the macro is called Geocache Tourguide and is 1.83MB.

Thanks

CB

@the development team!

Hi there i just came across the new Nuvi 5xx series and noticed that there are some cool features for geocaching. as i am addicted to this macro in combination with my Nuvi660 i do have a question

the 5xx screens are faciliating a found or not found button for the caches. Would it be possible to add this to the program. It will be a very good addition to make the program even more stronger

Track_leader

Well the good news is that in about a week, I should be finished all the messing about i had to do, and should be able to take a look at this project again.

Until then, don't forget jjreds fantastic advance nuvi macro....it really can't be beaten, but I intend to make mine a very simple 1-2-3 type process with no fancy stuff, so if we can include the new 5xx series, I'm sure we will!!

I'll be back soon :P

Well the good news is that in about a week, I should be finished all the messing about i had to do, and should be able to take a look at this project again.

Until then, don't forget jjreds fantastic advance nuvi macro....it really can't be beaten, but I intend to make mine a very simple 1-2-3 type process with no fancy stuff, so if we can include the new 5xx series, I'm sure we will!!

I'll be back soon :rolleyes:

thanks ps for the nice words - glad to hear you'll be back soon!

j

This has been noted before. The nuvi will only show 52 (13 pages of 4 each) on the screen (the closest 52). Type in (using Spell) one of the "missing" cache GC code and it should show up.

Yes, your are correct. The missing cache does show up when manually "spelled". I have the proximity alert on and would love for the nuvi to inform me of a cache when I am close; which it does for the ones that do appear on the list (and it may once I exceed that the distance of the 52 caches). It appears that now I will only be alerted of the caches that are one of the 52 caches shown. For example, will I be alerted when I am near the 92nd cache? Will I still be alerted?

I wonder why the first time I used the Macro it did show all the caches and did not limit it to 13 pages of 4 caches per page?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CB

Edited by ChromeBeast

This has been noted before. The nuvi will only show 52 (13 pages of 4 each) on the screen (the closest 52). Type in (using Spell) one of the "missing" cache GC code and it should show up.

Yes, your are correct. The missing cache does show up when manually "spelled". I have the proximity alert on and would love for the nuvi to inform me of a cache when I am close; which it does for the ones that do appear on the list (and it may once I exceed that the distance of the 52 caches). It appears that now I will only be alerted of the caches that are one of the 52 caches shown. For example, will I be alerted when I am near the 92nd cache? Will I still be alerted?

I wonder why the first time I used the Macro it did show all the caches and did not limit it to 13 pages of 4 caches per page?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CB

The Nuvi shows the CLOSEST POI's in the list. As you move, the list will update. This is true with caches or any poi list you have brought up.

The Nuvi shows the CLOSEST POI's in the list. As you move, the list will update. This is true with caches or any poi list you have brought up.

I've never seen the nuvi present more than 52 caches at a time.

One caveat about the "any poi list" is that the Alerts feature must be turned on for each POI list (i.e. RV Parks, McDonalds, etc.). If they are .csv files that you've loaded yourself, the Alert function isn't available.

:rolleyes::) I'm so happy with this that I gave my handheld away. I use a clipboard cut down to fit the nuvi and then binder clips and a quart size zipper bag plus a pen on a rope. It is now water protected,crash resilent and has a neck strap/write insturment at my finger tips. Thank oh so much for all the hard work that went into this it is wonderful and so easy for a noncomputer person to set up.

Thanks to all. I went out and tested the nuvi with about 1200 POI's. All seems fine. With the setup I have I am completely paperless.

• GSAK
  • CacheMate Smartphone Edition
  • PilotSnopes nuvi Macro for CacheMate
  • eXplorist 600
  • Kai Teams 200 Waypoint export Macro for CacheMate

Using GSAK and the macros I export the waypoints to the Smartphone, nuvi, and eXplorist. Then out on the road the Proximity Alert goes off (while taking a break from work off course - working for myself has that advantage) I head off to the cache. Once I get close the eXplorist takes me to GZ (Ground Zero). Once back at the car I fire up CacheMate and log the find. Pretty sweet!

Thanks again!

CBeast

Hi,

Thanks for a top class program. Excellent, Well Done!!

Question..... I have a Nuvi 260, and when I turn my gps on I now get a red banner with white writing "Tour Guide". and this covers up the green bars in the top left and the battery level in the top right hand.

How can I delete the Tour Guide function?

Thanks in advance ~~ Mortified

Hi,

Thanks for a top class program. Excellent, Well Done!!

Question..... I have a Nuvi 260, and when I turn my gps on I now get a red banner with white writing "Tour Guide". and this covers up the green bars in the top left and the battery level in the top right hand.

How can I delete the Tour Guide function?

Thanks in advance ~~ Mortified

The TourGuide function is part of the Nuvi Macro. I suspect that somewhere in the script it could be disabled, but I have no idea. I personally like the feature since to me it is a big part of the Macro. Otherwise all I would hear would be the ding, and most of the time I would miss it.

Someone else may be able to answer this: If the Proximity Alert is turned off do you still get the banner? I always use the alert feature so I don't know.

I know this really didn't anwer your question, but it may have given you more information to find the answer.

ChromeBeast