Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

Garmin nüvi 250W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

I just bought this GPS unit, my first, and was curious how well it will work for Geocaching? Any advice on how this thing works best would be awesome! ;)

If you know about this unit look me up on Geocaching.com and send me a message please. Since this forum is busy, and I don't want to lose the information.

My profound thanks to PilotSnipes. I had some problems with the GSAK program but after working through that the rest was a snap. Tomorrow I will start finding some of the five hundred caches that are now loaded into my Nuvi 350. I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for all your hard work and I look forward to the next discovery you come up with.

Ray

Garmin nüvi 250W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

I just bought this GPS unit, my first, and was curious how well it will work for Geocaching? Any advice on how this thing works best would be awesome! :(

If you know about this unit look me up on Geocaching.com and send me a message please. Since this forum is busy, and I don't want to lose the information.

Nuvi GPS's work ok for urban caches or caches not hidden in remote areas but I wouldn't depend on it too much if going into the woods or any where there is too much signal blockage. Battery life isn't that great and sunlight makes reading the screen a little hard unless you turn up the brightness which cuts down the battery life. It's not built too rugged and it's not water resistant. I've used one for a while but I prefer my high-sensitivity hand held unit with built in geocaching mode any day over the Nuvi. Good for going paperless though.

I prefer the Nuvi for navigating while driving, so I'm using it for that and for going paperless while using my hand-held strictly for caching.

Bottom line is it depends on what kind of caches your going for I guess.

I have a problem by starting the Makro.

Error log: 06.08.2008 19:30:54

MacVersion = 1.3

MacDescription = Nuvi 2xx 3xx 6xx 7xx GPX Geocaching Export for POILoader with Combined Description, Hint and Logs!!

MacAuthor = Pilotsnipes (based on code from Clyde and Kai Team)

MacUrl = http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

Current Macro: C:\Programme\GSAK\macros\garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk

Error in Macro at line: 2068

<data> VarName=$sox

Error=> Macro error. "<DATA>" command count = 5 but "<ENDDATA>" count is 4

Macro will now abort

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Variables:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

$cacheinfo (string) =

$cachestat (string) =

$cachestatplain (string) =

$childdesc (string) =

$combdesc (string) =

$diskdrive (string) =

$error (string) =

$exportbmp (string) =

$exportfolder (string) =

$exportfoldertemp (string) =

$exportjpg (string) =

$exportmp3 (string) =

$exportsox (string) =

$exportwav (string) =

$FileName (string) =

$form (string) =

$FormExit (string) =

$Geocachebmp (string) =

$Geocachejpg (string) =

$Geocachemp3 (string) =

$Geocachewav (string) =

$geofile (string) =

$geofilejpg (string) =

$GPSr (numeric) =0

$HintLen (numeric) =0

$hints (string) =

$lcount (numeric) =0

$lineOut (string) =

$logs (string) =

$LogsLen (numeric) =0

$longandshortdesc (string) =

$maxlogs (numeric) =0

$Msg (string) =

$Nuvi2XX (numeric) =0

$Nuvi2XXW (numeric) =0

$Nuvi3XX (numeric) =0

$Nuvi6XX (numeric) =0

$Nuvi7XX (numeric) =0

$nuvimodel (string) =

$plaincacheinfo (string) =

$poiloaderprogram (string) =

$psFileStart (string) =

$psName (string) =

$PutFile (string) =

$Settings (string) =

$SettingsFile (string) =

$snippedtagLen (numeric) =0

$snippedtagshort (string) =

$soundfile (string) =

$sox (string) =

$switchhintandlogs (string) =

$ThisRecord (numeric) =0

$total (numeric) =0

$Verbose (boolean) =False

$version_macro (string) =

$version_macro_file (string) =

$waypointnamesmallscreen (string) =

$waypointnamewidescreen (string) =

--------------------------------------------------------

Can you help me, why the Macro dos'nt start ?

Will it work fr Garmin XT? (and if so, how do I go about it?)

Anyone that can help?

Thanks again for sharing the hard work.

Works fine with Mobile XT, including showing detailed notes. I have all 25+K unfound UK caches loaded. As I have Colorado, I use same gpx files. When PDA is connected you get the option in POILoader to transfer to either Main Memory or Card in Mobile XT.

<snip>

<data> VarName=$sox

Macro will now abort

<snip>

Sounds like the end of the file got chopped off somehow. Try download and install again.

<snip>

<data> VarName=$sox

Macro will now abort

<snip>

Sounds like the end of the file got chopped off somehow. Try download and install again.

Thanks, that was the problem. Now its running fine !!!

Thanks for this great macro. Hope you can help me out with a few problems. I'm using a Nuvi 760, latest software, latest POI loader, latest macro version and a laptop with Vista.

The macro runs OK then I get a message "POI loader not found please check path setting C:\gsak\poiloader"

I've checked and the file is at this location. I click OK browse file path again and click on 'run POI loader only' and it still doesn't work.

If I then click on the'POI loader icon on my desktop, this then loads into my Nuvi. However, I don't have a 'more' button displayed and only get the basic cache details on screen. Also there is a green arrow which 'dings' when I press it and changes to a red square. What does this do?

I've been following your installation guide but there seem to be some differences, presumably because you've updated the macro since writing it.

Sorry to be a pain but I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Edited by parkmoy

While running POI loader on the page that you can browse for the directory make sure you select "Manual" for settings and on next page select "This file contains proximity alerts"

Sorry, before seeing your message I edited mine realizing I'd made a factual error. Anyway I tried what you suggested with no luck I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.

The issue with POIL not being found: You say you can run it from your desktop. Do a "right-click" on your desktop icon and then select "Properties". Look at the box titiled "Target". This is where the POIL program is (mine says "C:\Program Files\Garmin\POI Loader.exe"). The C:\GSAK\poiloader folder is from the macro, not where the POIL program is located.

When you run the POIL, check the target folder just to be sure it's loading the right set of files.

The green arrow dings and turns red. Yes, it does, and that's all it does, for now.

Still hoping...praying...please!!!...can someone explain how to edit the macro?

You are just wanting to change the name field? Under the macro screen, right click on the macro and choose edit.

Find this in the macro code:

$waypointnamesmallscreen = "%ShortName=7/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "
$waypointnamewidescreen = "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

Change "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* " to wahatever you want for the name. If you just want the cache name, use "%name"

Thank You Red90. I adjusted the macro to "%name" and this works great !!!

Still hoping...praying...please!!!...can someone explain how to edit the macro?

You are just wanting to change the name field? Under the macro screen, right click on the macro and choose edit.

Find this in the macro code:

$waypointnamesmallscreen = "%ShortName=7/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "
$waypointnamewidescreen = "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

Change "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* " to whatever you want for the name. If you just want the cache name, use "%name"

Red90

I just came across your response today and wish to thank you very much for that info. It is exactly what I wanted. I just tried it out on my Nuvi and it works perfectly.

Again, thanks for your help!

Don

I just discovered your macro today. I am trying to get it working on a Nuvi 360. I am using the latest everything (POI Loader, Firmware, GSAK, etc). I have about 5,000 POIs to load.

I get the message about "Geocache Tourguide.gpx is invalid".

What am I doing wrong?

ETA:

Ok, I filtered out my found caches in GSAK and now it is working. So, whatever it was causing a problem, it was with a found cache. I'd like to have them on the Nuvi in case I am with someone that hasn;t found it, but I can live without them.

Great macro! I already had all the caches on the Nuvi with another macro, but this format is much better!

I only use the Nuvi to get near the cache and then use the 60CSx to get from the car to the cache. Can I load these POIs onto the 60CSx too? How will they look on the 60CXs?

Edited by markz68

As I stated above, all is well and works like a champ. Now, as we have moved to a different location, I would like to delete the custom POI's from my Nuvi 350. Is there a quick way to do this or do I have to delete each one individually? In the favorites screen there is an edit and delete option but not in the custom POI section. Maybe I missed something in one of the ten pages of posts. I really didn't want to have to go back and re-read all of them. Please help me out with this as there are a ton of them to delete. Thanks,

Ray

With your nuvi connected to your computer with the USB cable, navigate to the poi folder on the unit using your computer's file browser and delete the POI.GPI file.

Alternately, run POI Loader and select the option to delete the POIs from the unit.

Thanks MMC Mama. I knew that I had read it somewhere and now it comes back to me after your reply. Thanks again,

Ray

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! :rolleyes:

What a great addition to my Nuvi. I had purchased a Colorado 300 this past week, but I found it had problems finding caches when the backlight was on (see the 300 wiki for discussion on this). Needless to say, I was disappointed in it, so I returned it.

While searching the forums, however, I came across this thread and I'm thrilled that I can download all cache info to my Nuvi. I've been using my Nuvi up until now, but really wanted the paperless caching option. Now I've got it all - driving directions and full cache info all on my handy little Nuvi. (plus my $500 back from the Colorado!)

Thanks again - I really appreciate your work on this.

Everything was going so well! I followed the great tutorial on how to install GSAC, POIloader and the macro. I am running Vista Premium Home on new Sony laptop with a Garmin Nuvi 250 (not W). I did a very limited search in GSAC and retreived only 8 caches (Just the right amount for testing!). I then ran them through the macro and used POIloader which saw my 250 and reported that it had successfully transferred 8 caches. After I disconnected the 250 from the laptop, I hit Where to-Extras-Custom POIs and got an error message "No matches found". I used a text editor on the laptop to look directly on the 250 and could see in the Garmin/POI folder a file called POI.GPI which clearly contained the text matching the download I had done.

Any thoughts on why I am not seeing the caches in the Custom POI view?

Thanks

Bill Hughes

Vancouver

With your nuvi connected to your computer with the USB cable, navigate to the poi folder on the unit using your computer's file browser and delete the POI.GPI file.

Alternately, run POI Loader and select the option to delete the POIs from the unit.

Thanks MMC Mama. I knew that I had read it somewhere and now it comes back to me after your reply. Thanks again,

Ray

You don't need a computer, though:

"Where to?," "My Locations," "Delete all."

Mike

O-

(Edit: Well, yeah, this deletes your favorites, too.....And your "home"......)

Edited by MMarshall

Everything was going so well! I followed the great tutorial on how to install GSAC, POIloader and the macro. I am running Vista Premium Home on new Sony laptop with a Garmin Nuvi 250 (not W). I did a very limited search in GSAC and retreived only 8 caches (Just the right amount for testing!). I then ran them through the macro and used POIloader which saw my 250 and reported that it had successfully transferred 8 caches. After I disconnected the 250 from the laptop, I hit Where to-Extras-Custom POIs and got an error message "No matches found". I used a text editor on the laptop to look directly on the 250 and could see in the Garmin/POI folder a file called POI.GPI which clearly contained the text matching the download I had done.

Thanks

Bill Hughes

Vancouver

Yes the caches you have selected and sent to your garmin are likely to be thousands of miles away from where your garmin currently thinks it is.

Ie, I live in Ireland, if I download caches from Australia and upload them to the garmin and then look for them I can't see them (I can SEARCH for them though). If I go into GPS simulator mode and move myself to Aus, then I can see them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Bill Hughes

Vancouver

Yes the caches you have selected and sent to your garmin are likely to be thousands of miles away from where your garmin currently thinks it is.

Ie, I live in Ireland, if I download caches from Australia and upload them to the garmin and then look for them I can't see them (I can SEARCH for them though). If I go into GPS simulator mode and move myself to Aus, then I can see them.

Hope that helps.

Right on! I live in Vancouver but had selected caches near Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic because we will be going there in 3 days for a holiday. I did as you suggested and the caches showed up when I moved my location there! Thank you for thinking outside the box and I now realize I had omitted that little bit of important information.

Bill Hughes

Vancouver

Thanks for the macro. I am having a bit of trouble though. I'm not sure if it's my Garmin 350 or me. I run the macro and everything seems fine. POI loader runs and says added 500 points to my device. When I go to view the custom POI's however, there are only 50 showing up.

pilotsnipes, you are a legend in our book. We just downloaded all of the "stuff" on or Nuvi and are getting ready to take her on a maiden voyage. Everything loaded correctly and the interface looks very nice. Thanks for the work you put into this...IT IS AWESOME!

Thanks for the macro. I am having a bit of trouble though. I'm not sure if it's my Garmin 350 or me. I run the macro and everything seems fine. POI loader runs and says added 500 points to my device. When I go to view the custom POI's however, there are only 50 showing up.

They are there... it only shows the closest 50 to your current coords.

search for one that is not showing. it will be there.

i have a 350, and asked the same question... :D:D:huh:

Hey, feature request here....

I try to keep my Nuvi safely in my backpack while hiking, I'm afraid I'll drop it! I have a forerunner to steer me the right direction.

Sometime I don't get the coordinates in the forerunner, but I can always bring them up on the Nuvi and transfer them.

But, child waypoints don't show the coordinates.

Was forced to hike a ways with the Nuvi, and had to use the map!

But, got close, and the hint helped me find it.

So, the Nuvi still saved the day!!

Thanks!

Wow, just WOW at all the work PilotSnipes put into this macro. I got me a free (depeding on how you look at it) Nuvi 200 out of this thread ==> http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=199603 on Saturday. Went through all the instructions and in like 10 minutes I was ready to go. To bad we cannot get the real sat screen. To me that is not a huge big deal, as I have a explorist 500 that I can use for the up close and dirty work. It is certainly nice to not have to use paper and have everything at hand on my Nuvi if needed.

Once again, PilotSnipes you are certainly a GOD among men for this one.

Edited by KOOLAID105

Thanks so much for your work. I'm using the macro with my "free" Nuvi 200, and after I got used to not having a compass, and discovered that it gives me distance to the cache in "off road" mode, it works every bit as well as my explorist. In fact, I did a multi-cache today, and I think the Nuvi is easier to input coordinates by hand in the field!

It's as close to paperless as you can get right now, methinks!

tftw (thanks for the work)

gctidwells

There has been some discussion in this thread regarding how to get to the satellite screen on the Nuvi 200 (and 200w).

I believe recently figured out why some seem to be able to get that screen and some don't.

As stated by others, you need to hold down on the bargraph for about 5 seconds... BUT... and this is not good news for those that want to use the 200 for caching... it only works while the unit is still acquiring a lock. Once the lock has been established, I can no longer open that screen.

I've said it before but I want to say it again now that I have used this for a couple months:

THIS MACRO IS AWESOME!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, PILOTSNIPES

I'll echo this. I d/l'd the macro et al over the weekend, followed the tutorial and viola..was off to the races.

I have a Nuvi 760 so will be anxious to hear if a fix becomes available for the proximity alarm.

Thanks to Piolotsnipes!

True, real, not hafway there, paperless caching..and I had everything I needed all along.

I've said it before but I want to say it again now that I have used this for a couple months:

THIS MACRO IS AWESOME!

I'll echo this. I d/l'd the macro et al over the weekend, followed the tutorial and viola..was off to the races.

I have a Nuvi 760 so will be anxious to hear if a fix becomes available for the proximity alarm.

Thanks to Piolotsnipes!

True, real, not hafway there, paperless caching..and I had everything I needed all along.

I also have a 760 and am frustrated by the crashes when POIs are in range. I have written and also spoken to Garmin tech support so I know that they are aware of the problem. I just don't know if they have a solution or if they do, what the priority is in their firmware release cycle. Maybe if we all start reminding them again it will light a fire and expedite the fix.

THIS MACRO IS AWESOME!

Thanks to Piolotsnipes!

I also have a 760 and am frustrated by the crashes when POIs are in range. I have written and also spoken to Garmin tech support so I know that they are aware of the problem. I just don't know if they have a solution or if they do, what the priority is in their firmware release cycle. Maybe if we all start reminding them again it will light a fire and expedite the fix.

I'll drop an email to Garmin. Did you refer to this as the macro that Pioltsnipes wrote...or just that Proximity alarms crash the 760?