Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

<_< This is amazing! Thank you for such great help and macro's! I really love geocaching, but hated having to print all the paper just to throw it away.

I have just downloaded the programs & macros and checked it out in my Nuvi 360. Everything is here. The family is off to try it out. Also, thanks for all the posts & help to everyone who responds. I found some useful tricks!!!

:P

This is really neat! Thanks!

With the Colorado's new firmware, I am using it to store found caches. The first problem I had was it created a cache icon, so I replaced it with a found icon in my POI directory and made it read only. It does not get written over.

User notes do not appear to show up anywhere. Am I missing someting or is there a way to see them?

If not, is it possible to modify the macro to have user notes.

Thanks.

I think the loader screws up if you don't use the Tour Guide option in macro. I had some problems awhile back and yesterday when updating my POI. If you don't want the alerts run macro accordingly. When you go to load with POI Loader act like you ARE using alter feature and select "This file contains proximity alerts point." Set Alert Settings to "0" after selecting "Manual" mode on the Browse/Feet and Miles page. Every time I don't select the said "This file contains...." I don't get the more+info either.

Note: I think, haven't use marco and Nuvi much yet, you still get the alerts but alert tone is different and since it is set to "0"s it doesn't go off as much as the 2500 ft setting did. PLUS tone isn't as annoying :sad:

So i have tried a couple times to download the GSAK and i go through the setup but when i click to open it up it just sits there with the small GSAK screen and does nothing, You can tell its doing something because when you drag the mouse over it it turns from the arrow to the revolving circle. I left it alone for over an hour and its still does this, any ideas?

Hehe, I've got my ~180 caches using just a Forerunner! Distance/direction ONLY!! NO maps, NO hints/info, and only 6-char waypoints!!

Going to Colorado in a couple o' weeks, and decided I was tired of printing out several sheets of paper. Figured I needed a PDA for this stuff, and was browsing around here until I saw your thread.

Jumped on eBay, bought a Nuvi 350, and a 2G SD card. Then had to d/l GSAK, pay for it, and learn it! OH, this is going to be quite an upgrade from how I've been caching!!

Thank you SO MUCH for your hard work! I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping until the new GPS gets here! (And probably after, too!)

Mike

O-

PilotSnipes,

Thanks for this great GSAK macro. Not only did it work the first time, you created a fantastic tutorial that made the process very straightforward. In addition, you provided sufficient comments and descriptive variable names in the macro that allowed me to alter the waypoint name for my Nuvi 350 to my preference although I knew absolutely nothing about writing macros. You did a truly superb job. Thanks again.

Thanks for a great macro. Just got my nüvi a week ago. Setting up the macro was painless thanks to the very clear directions. Just one question:

Is it, or will it be possible to have the navigator voice speak the full name of the cache, instead of the truncated name/abbreviations/and slashes?

Come on guys - read the thread! :sad:

Make sure you have poiloader 2.5.2

Make sure you've updated your nuvi firmware.

Make sure you've followed the instructions carefully.

:huh:

Now it works :sad: , it was my older version of Poiloader that gave me problems!. Thank you very much for the great macro and for the help :huh: .

Rescued this thread from page 2.

This would be an interesting macro for the new Nuvi 500 series, but I would like to see a wide version, like a nuvi 500w and 550w. A compass screen while navigating to a cache with this macro should be pretty cool, and no need of a separate GPS with a compass page needed.

PilotSnipes

Thank you for a great macro. Have it installed and running. Has made a huge difference to me!

Will it work fr Garmin XT? (and if so, how do I go about it?)

Thanks again

CapeDoc (From South Africa....look how far your influence spreads!! ;) )

I can't get the file from my pocket queries into GSAK. Using Windows XP and have tried both ways. I open GSAK and use the File Load procedure, it fails, so then try dragging and dropping the file onto GSAK. Either way I get the message " Unhandled archive type - zip file is corrupt". My GSAK version is 7.2.2.23.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Just installed your macro on a nuvi 250W. A few glitches that I was able to track down and fix thanks to your tutorial. Works great!! Thank you, PilotSnipes for all your hard work. Also thanks to everyone that helped create this. We only have about 200 finds right now, but I expect to be a very busy geocachder from now on. Thanks again. RandyandB

P.S. This is actually my first post in this forum.

Thanks for a great macro. Just got my nüvi a week ago. Setting up the macro was painless thanks to the very clear directions. Just one question:

Is it, or will it be possible to have the navigator voice speak the full name of the cache, instead of the truncated name/abbreviations/and slashes?

Well, since I haven't had anyone reply yet, let me rephrase this.

Suppose I'm navigating to GC10T0A, as I approach the cache, the nüvi announces:

"Arriving at forfbylantwuhslashtraslashnslashgc10t0a". Is there some way I, a non-programmer, can tweak the code to speak "arriving at 'Four if by land, two if by sea'"?

Thanks again!

Pharmadude, post # 284 by jholly, and piolotsnipes response on post # 286 on this thread are talking about the same thing. Pilotsnipes response, I believe, is talking about the macro lines 'way point name'. They are located near the top of the macro... How to edit it to your liking, well I cant help much there. I have no idea what text or symbols to delete / change ....

####################

#

# This is the settings section for advance users.

#

####################

$SettingsFile=$_Install+"\macros\garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.dat"

$geofile = "Geocache TourGuide"

$geofilejpg = "futurefeature.jpg"

$maxlogs = 10

# Set the waypoint name here for widescreen and smallscreen:

Vsub status=off

$waypointnamesmallscreen = "%ShortName=7/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

$waypointnamewidescreen = "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

vsub status=on

Just loaded 700+ caches to my Nuvi 350. WOW -- I can't wait to try this. I was printing out the info on the caches, and I never had it with me when I needed it. Lord knows I never leave home without the Nuvi though, and look --- it's all there!

Going camping next weekend, and will definitely be giving it a try.

Thanks for your effort and excellent instructions.

SmkSignals wrote:

Pharmadude, post # 284 by jholly, and piolotsnipes response on post # 286 on this thread are talking about the same thing. Pilotsnipes response, I believe, is talking about the macro lines 'way point name'. They are located near the top of the macro... How to edit it to your liking, well I cant help much there. I have no idea what text or symbols to delete / change ....

Thanks for that SmkSignals, but I'm afraid I'm going to need someone hold my hand through this.

I'm not really sure how to edit the macro.

On another topic, is it possible to delete the POI's once they've been found, in order to prevent them from appearing in the 'closest' list?

I've been sucessfully using the macro on my 660 & 680 for about a month with no issues. Decided to create a POI file for my Kenwood KNA-G510 unit I have in my Jeep. Told the macro it was a 6xx series nuvi and it works great in the Kenwood. Just thought I'd let other Kenwood users know they have this wonderful option. Many thanks for this macro.

pilotsnipes

Would you mind if I modified your macro (giving appropriate credit, of course) for use on mio GPSr? It is much more limited than your system, allowing just around 2 lines of text for a description, and needs to write a kml file instead of xml. Otherwise, modifications are minor.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Hi! I tried the macro on my Nuvi 250 and it works great but I have a little problem. When I load Poi , GSAK tell me that 407 POI where loaded in my Nuvi. When I look on my Nuvi I can see only about 50 POI.

Can someone help me?

I'm sorry for my bad english because I'm french Canadian.

Thanks!

Maleto99

Hi! I tried the macro on my Nuvi 250 and it works great but I have a little problem. When I load Poi , GSAK tell me that 407 POI where loaded in my Nuvi. When I look on my Nuvi I can see only about 50 POI.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Maleto99

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Maleto99

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Maleto99

The nuvi will only show the first 52 nearest caches (13 pages of 4 each). The rest are there, just in internal memory. Try using "Spell" for an unlisted cache and see if it comes up.

P.S. Your English is just fine!!! Only one missing "s" and a comma or two!!! Wish our own were that good!

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I have a question about loading more than one database on to the nuvi. Most times when I download 2 or more databases I have no problem but, other times I can access only one of them. Can someone tell me why this would happen?

Also, when I try to access a waypoint, that is further away than the top 53, spelling the name, it doesn't always work. I don't know why, does any one else know?

I would appreciate any help I can get.

thanks

Guys, some personal stuff has cropped up on me that will take me away from this stuff for a while.

I'm not abandoning the project, I just won't be here as much for the next while.

Anyone can tinker away and play with the macro, I don't mind at all....it's only a hobby and I'm not the RIAA/MPAA. :unsure:

Anyway, thanks to the rest of you for helping the new people with support questions, that alone has been the biggest help and it's really appreciated.

I will be back, with some small tweaks as I suggested earlier, but at this stage jjreds macro is probably the place to go for all the advance stuff....he's completely done an outstanding job.

Catch ya all soon friends.

I've been sucessfully using the macro on my 660 & 680 for about a month with no issues. Decided to create a POI file for my Kenwood KNA-G510 unit I have in my Jeep. Told the macro it was a 6xx series nuvi and it works great in the Kenwood. Just thought I'd let other Kenwood users know they have this wonderful option. Many thanks for this macro.

SmkSignals wrote:

Thanks for that SmkSignals, but I'm afraid I'm going to need someone hold my hand through this.

I'm not really sure how to edit the macro.

On another topic, is it possible to delete the POI's once they've been found, in order to prevent them from appearing in the 'closest' list?

Still hoping...praying...please!!!...can someone explain how to edit the macro?

This thread is to be used for all help/support/bug fixes for the tutorial at the website above.

So, for all help/queries/support/requests, please post away here.

All I ask is a few simple requests

* Be polite.

* Don't demand anything, I do this in my spare time and will help when I can.

* If you discover something good or find a better way to do things, please share it with us!

Enjoy the hunt.

Edited by Patch'sPassion
;) The information you provided was more than helpful. It provided me with everything I need to use my new Nuvi 760 to go Geocaching ... and Garmin says it's not 'geocaching friendly?!?'. I appreciate all of the time and effort that it must have taken to create these instructions... They were perfect? I will be coming back to check when Garmin fixes the bug associated with the alarm feature. Thanks again... Patch'sPassion - Long Beach, NY

Still hoping...praying...please!!!...can someone explain how to edit the macro?

You are just wanting to change the name field? Under the macro screen, right click on the macro and choose edit.

Find this in the macro code:

$waypointnamesmallscreen = "%ShortName=7/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "
$waypointnamewidescreen = "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

Change "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* " to wahatever you want for the name. If you just want the cache name, use "%name"

Edited by Red90