Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

POILoader "remembers" where you last loaded a file from, and tries to go back there the next time. If you ran another GSAK macro that calls POILoader from a different folder, it will still be looking in that folder for the gpx file. The solution, if that's the case, is to specify the correct folder once again in the Pilotsnipes macro. (I had this happen to me when I tried out "the other" Nuvi macro, and then came back to this one)

Thank you very much knowschad!

You solved my problem. All is well now.

Having a hard time with the macro I dont remember it being this hard before when I go to download I get a page with all the lines of code and I cant remeber what to do to install the macro

HELP :rolleyes:

Did you download the macro file from the first post of this thread?

Having a hard time with the macro I dont remember it being this hard before when I go to download I get a page with all the lines of code and I cant remeber what to do to install the macro

HELP :rolleyes:

I just clicked on Pilotsnipes tutorial link at the beginning of this thread.

Then click where you see: "Download Garmin Nuvi GSAK Macro file" and then select the SAVE option and save it on your hard drive.

After it is on the hard drive, double click it to start it.

<snip>

Bluetooth works pretty well - synced right up with my phone, and loads in the address book each time. BUT - I don't like that it does not have a jack for an external mic. <snip>

There is an external mic available for this device and works a bit better than the one built in to the GPS. The jack for it is located on the side of the cradle. It takes a microphone connected by mono (not stereo) mini plug. Inspect the cradle and you'll find it. Any cheapo mic with the right connector will work. Garmin does sell a compact one with a few simple mounts included for $10 or so if memory serves me correctly. Location of the mic is crucial - closer to your mouth / further from the speaker - the better your results will be.

Good luck!

Steve

Edited by MassCache

WOW! I am just starting out in geocaching. In fact, my wife and I nabbed our very first one yesterday! I just got everything downloaded, and holy cow, this is gonna make things so much more fun! This is gonna save lots and lots of paper and ink! Not to mention all the time it saves! Thank you soooooo much for this; can't wait to use it for the first time!

BTW... GREAT tutorial. I am very new to the "gps phenomenon" and the tips you provided at the end were wonderful!

I was wondering, though; will the proximity alerts work with my 200w?

Edited by Troubl3m4kr

Just purchased the 260W from the Radio Shaq a few minutes ago, much lower prices than the not so bestbuy. Will be interesting to follow along with this paperless geocaching stuff.

Purchased at 12:06pm just 22 minutes ago

Edited by GOT GPS?

Nevermind about the alerts. I did what I should have done in the first place and did a quick topic search and got my answer. Glad to know it's gonna work!

Oh, and one more question. I haven't downloaded my free map update from garmin yet. When I do that, will it erase my current caches and favorites or will everything transfer over? It's a nuvi 200w, by the way.

Edited by Troubl3m4kr

I'm pretty sure it's there. My 200w does it, and I think the only difference between the two is the wide screen. You just have to hold it down for a good slow 3 or 4 count and then let go.

Yes, just hold it down until the screen comes up.

I'm pretty sure it's there. My 200w does it, and I think the only difference between the two is the wide screen. You just have to hold it down for a good slow 3 or 4 count and then let go.

Trust me... it isn't that simple. I think it has something to do with the time of day or the phase of the moon. I know that its there, 'cause I've seen it.... more than once. But bringing it up is a black art that I haven't mastered after months of owning the thing!

Trust me... it isn't that simple. I think it has something to do with the time of day or the phase of the moon. I know that its there, 'cause I've seen it.... more than once. But bringing it up is a black art that I haven't mastered after months of owning the thing!

iloled-pam.jpg

I have not found a cache with the Nuvi 260W yet, but I been playing with this GSAK Macro, and it is so cool.

GarminNuvi260W-WonderCacheGCX981-20.jpg

I pasted together several screen shot for that tall picture.

Now with my Nuvi 260W, Map60CSx, and the Geocache Navigator on the cellphone, I cannot go wrong. At least the phone is in the pocket, and the 60CSx is left running in it's pouch, for the tracklogging bit. So it is still just one device in the hand type of caching.

--------------------------------------------

The little signal bars at the top left corner:

The trick to this, is that I must use my little pinky finger on my right hand, and press on the extreme upper left corner, for a couple seconds, and with unclipped fingernails, it is a little bit more challenging.

I've added a line to the macro and it seem to work with version 1.2, but once I downloaded 1.3 and modified it with the same line POI Loader would tell me my TourGuide GPX file was invalid.

Here is the line I added in red and I made the original line above it a comment:

# Set the waypoint name here for widescreen and smallscreen:

Vsub status=off

$waypointnamesmallscreen = "%ShortName=7/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

# $waypointnamewidescreen = "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

$waypointnamewidescreen = "%drop2%typ1%con1%bug-%Name "

Can anyone tell me why it is not working? Thanks.

Ok, I found a bug or something or didn't using macro correctly. I have loaded POIs using the macro w/Alerts onto my 260W and all was well. I just loaded some more POIs and DON'T use the TourGuide Alart option and this time I DID NOT get the page info (MORE). After starting over creating new gpx and reloading WITH the TourGuide Alart option I got the page info (MORE). Did I explain that well enough? :angry:

In summary: No TourGuide Alert = No 'More'

With TourGuide Alert = 'More'

How do you get the 'More' and not use proximity alert? It seems, if I remember correctly, that the 'More' worked just fine before the TourGuide support was added for non MP3 Garmins, 2XX.

Does Pilot need to work on macro a little more or is there a setting/option I overlooked?

Actually, I think I have finally figured it out. The trick is in knowing that the screen doesn't switch until you LIFT your finger. Press the bars carefully, hold them there for a few seconds, then lift your finger off. Either that, or perhaps the moon is in the right phase right now.

Ok. I did some testing and had some confusing and contradictory results to my last post:

1) alert yes/express/yes more/no go

2) alert yes/manual/yes more/yes go

3) alert no/express/yes more/no go

4) alert no/manual/yes more/yes go

I'm not sure why I wasn't getting the 'More' before this test. And now I'm not getting the 'Go' button on the express loads. For time sake I didn't use the same cache data for this test as the data that wasn't giving me 'More' button concerning last post. There are over 3800 way points in that database (all of Kansas) and only 3 in test.

ARRGH!!.. Please help! Tell me what I did wrong.

I ran the macro and loaded the info onto my 350. When I go to POIs now, I have lost all my old POIs and only have 50 of 224 caches listed. Also, on the first screen to come up that would normally list the POI files, I get the list of 50 individual caches.

What step did I miss? Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing....

Thanks!

Beckie

ps, when my Vista needed repair, I did use my Nuvi for finding caches, but didn't know there was any type of navigation screen. I just went to current location and watched the lat and long numbers change and try to position myself properly. It worked, but wasn't easy.

ARRGH!!.. Please help! Tell me what I did wrong.

I ran the macro and loaded the info onto my 350. When I go to POIs now, I have lost all my old POIs and only have 50 of 224 caches listed. Also, on the first screen to come up that would normally list the POI files, I get the list of 50 individual caches.

What step did I miss? Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing....

Thanks!

Beckie

ps, when my Vista needed repair, I did use my Nuvi for finding caches, but didn't know there was any type of navigation screen. I just went to current location and watched the lat and long numbers change and try to position myself properly. It worked, but wasn't easy.

You probably have more than 50, the Nuvi only displays the closest 50. Try spelling some of the names that you think are missing .

Edited by BruceS

QUOTE(The Ravens @ Jun 22 2008, 04:15 PM)

I figured it out. I used no alert/ manual/selected this file has blahh blahh data. Left speed and distance at 0 and it worked.

All is good again.

QUOTE(knowschad @ Jun 23 2008, 04:35 PM)

I'm not so sure I'm convinced yet. Did you see this post?

hmmm... and here I thought I was smarter than the machine. Next time I load a POI I'll try the

no alert/express and see if error accures again and if so try the a reload to correct. I'd do it tonight but I just got my 60csx today so I'm going through the manual and trying to figure out GSAK for it.

.... I'm getting a head ache. :D

You probably have more than 50, the Nuvi only displays the closest 50. Try spelling some of the names that you think are missing .

You may be right. I'll check that out. So you think my other POIs are there? But what good are they if I can't access them???

You may be right. I'll check that out. So you think my other POIs are there? But what good are they if I can't access them???

I can't say on your other custom POIs, the other Advance macro may be able to help you there, as it will upload different sets.

But... you can access them. You can access them by using the spelling search. You just can't scroll to them. Also, since what you see in the scrollable list are the 50 caches that are closest to you at the time, that's probably all you'll need anyway.

Edited by knowschad

Great Macro - Works like a charm. I just got started and found 4 caches yesterday. Having all of the info in the Nuvi is excellent, makes finding everything so much easier.

I am having the problem with the child way points though. Next time my pocket query runs I will double check my setting to make sure I have the "as child way point" option selected. It looked like it was on by default, but I am not sure.

Thanks for the great macro, it is really awesome!

Mike

Hi

I am new to using macros. I have successfully used pilotsnipe's macro, and have enjoyed the ease of use and found the tutorial most helpful. I don't really "know' what I am doing but if I follow the instructions things seem to work (very well!!) Is there a tutorial for this macro (a "for dummies" type?). I did try and install the macro, and did successfully update my custom POI's, but do not find the buttons on my nuvi suggested by the graphics at the beginning of the thread. Can you direct me to a little help?

Hi

I am new to using macros. I have successfully used pilotsnipe's macro, and have enjoyed the ease of use and found the tutorial most helpful. I don't really "know' what I am doing but if I follow the instructions things seem to work (very well!!) Is there a tutorial for this macro (a "for dummies" type?). I did try and install the macro, and did successfully update my custom POI's, but do not find the buttons on my nuvi suggested by the graphics at the beginning of the thread. Can you direct me to a little help?

Which button are you referring to?

Wow, thanks much for that tip. I was thinking my 200w didn't have that screen at all. :D

Also I know I'm coming in to this conversation a bit late, but it seems to me that the nuvi just doesn't feel solid enough to be taken on trails. Even if it just had a lanyard attachment on it I might feel a bit safer with it. Maybe I'm just worrying too much...

Yes and yes, but you're in the wrong thread for this type of query, so perhaps it would be better if there was a new thread for topo queries?

It's not entirely off topic since it's often easier to geo-cache using topo when you're in the woods than City navigator. It would be nice to use Topo 2008 on a Nuvi is all I'm asking about.

Since you've said yes, I will try it out on my Nuvi later this week. Thanks.

I did as above for 3 different databases. In Garmin\POI I named each file different. Now in Where To>My Locations>Custom POIs>, all three POI databases are there, but they are all named Geocache TourGuide. Is there a way for the name of the POI file to appear in the Custom POI menu on the Garmin ??? Thanks again for this excellent geocaching tool !!!

Look at this one built around pilotsnipes excellent macro http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195389

It may have what you're looking for.

Thanks jjreds ... I have tried your macro a couple of times now (you have put a ton of work into that by the way), but it is really a lot more than I need. I am having great luck with pilotsnipes original. Is there anyway the orginal macro can show the different data base names on the nuvi? I dont mind renaming them in Garmin\POI, i just which the folder names would show up instead of "Geocache TourGuide"

i dont really know anything about programming and/or macros. is this where the file name is coming from ??

$SettingsFile=$_Install+"\macros\garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.dat"

$geofile = "Geocache TourGuide"

$geofilejpg = "futurefeature.jpg"

$maxlogs = 10

Pilot / JJ ... Is there anything we can do to tweak this to show the actual folder name on the nuvi ??

Thanks for your help, Kurt T.

I did as above for 3 different databases. In Garmin\POI I named each file different. Now in Where To>My Locations>Custom POIs>, all three POI databases are there, but they are all named Geocache TourGuide. Is there a way for the name of the POI file to appear in the Custom POI menu on the Garmin ??? Thanks again for this excellent geocaching tool !!!

Look at this one built around pilotsnipes excellent macro http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195389

It may have what you're looking for.

Thanks jjreds ... I have tried your macro a couple of times now (you have put a ton of work into that by the way), but it is really a lot more than I need. I am having great luck with pilotsnipes original. Is there anyway the orginal macro can show the different data base names on the nuvi? I dont mind renaming them in Garmin\POI, i just which the folder names would show up instead of "Geocache TourGuide"

i dont really know anything about programming and/or macros. is this where the file name is coming from ??

$SettingsFile=$_Install+"\macros\garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.dat"

$geofile = "Geocache TourGuide"

$geofilejpg = "futurefeature.jpg"

$maxlogs = 10

Pilot / JJ ... Is there anything we can do to tweak this to show the actual folder name on the nuvi ??

Thanks for your help, Kurt T.

I think this is your answer, yes. After you make your .gpx file with GSAK aka "Geocache TourGuide.gpx. Rename it to Whatever.gpx. When PIOLoader loads it onto your Nuvi it will show up as "Whatever." I have one named "Kansas Only", "Oklahoma Trip 2008", "Missouri."

Edited by The Ravens