Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

WOW! This macro is great!!!! We were able to get it up and running before the Geo-Woodstock event. Caching was never easier. We were with Wheeler Dealers from Palm Springs and the I.E. Misfits from Redlands area. Thanks for all your hard work and those that helped along the way.

P.S. We have the Nuvi 350 and the 680

Edited by Team lite_rod

Absolutely wonderful solution. Many thanks for making this available. Haven't actually tried it yet -- just got my nuvi 260 this morning as a present for my wife -- but even sitting here at my desk it's chiming at me about the caches within my search radius. I'll be using this heavily for paperless caching to at least get me to the area, then use my Legend HCx to get me the rest of the way. This will be a vast improvement over my previous method with CacheMagnet and loading the cache information into my 5G iPod.

We're planning a driving trip soon so this will be absolutely invaluable for adding a bit of adventure on the way. Thanks again!

Thank you for your wonderful macro and easy to follow instructions.

I have been using a 650 for a couple of months now and this past weekend followed your tutorial and used it for geocaching. It worked great. I'll be following this thread and the other nuvi threads for future updates.

Thanks again!

HELP,..we just bought the nuvi 260 and can't get it to work..

if anyone lives in Indiana or ohio, close to the Richmond Indiana area and would be willing to help..please email me..I want to add certain caches, not a route or all around here.

any help would be great..thanks

If you could be more specific about what you mean by "can't get it to work", perhaps we can help. What are you doing, how are you doing it, and what exactly is happening or failing to happen?

HELP,..we just bought the nuvi 260 and can't get it to work..

if anyone lives in Indiana or ohio, close to the Richmond Indiana area and would be willing to help..please email me..I want to add certain caches, not a route or all around here.

any help would be great..thanks

If you could be more specific about what you mean by "can't get it to work", perhaps we can help. What are you doing, how are you doing it, and what exactly is happening or failing to happen?

I can't even get to to show up under the extras..omg, my 18 year old son is gone for the day, should be home tomorrow, maybe he can help figure this out..he is into networking.

would it do any good to call garmin?

I can't even get to to show up under the extras..omg, my 18 year old son is gone for the day, should be home tomorrow, maybe he can help figure this out..he is into networking.

would it do any good to call garmin?

No, don't bother calling garmin.

As I said previously, please, patiently tell us, step by step, what you did, and what happened? Nobody can help you if all you give us is broad generalities, but we can almost certainly help us if you give us specific information. I'm 100% certain that you haven't "broken" something, so calm down and walk us through what you tried to do.

I’m about ready to try the paperless caching, but have few questions about things I’ve read and with some of the instructions on how to use the PQ and macro. So here are my questions:

1. The tutorial says the “zip file contains 500 caches” and to select “Show me 500 caches”, but I’ve seen in this post people refer to 4000+ caches that they have loaded. How are they doing that?

2. Instructions say when creating a PQ to only request the indicated choices. What if you don’t want, or care about some of the types of caches? Do I have to select “Of any type” or can I narrow it down. I’d also like to only query caches that I have not found. If I change some of these settings, will the macro not work?

3. Once you load POI’s, can you later remove them? I’d like to be able to remove them once I’ve found them.

4. In the post, I’ve seen people refer to creating/maintaining different databases. Is this done only in the GSAK, or are they individually loaded onto the Nuvi and are then selectable?

5. Currently, when I load a cache to my Nuvi, it shows up as a Favorite. When viewing the Map, I can see the little treasure chest icon on the map, and when I go off-road in pedestrian mode, I can walk towards the icon seeing my path. Will I be able to see the POI on the map in the same way, and will I be able to walk off-road and see where I’m walking as I approach the cache – or will I have to do like the tutorial and switch to satellite mode and close in using the coordinates.

6. I’ve seen references to “Speed Camera alerts.” Where do these come from?

Sorry for so many questions - and if some are obvious, but thanks for all the help! I can't wait to try this!

Mike

1. The tutorial says the “zip file contains 500 caches” and to select “Show me 500 caches”, but I’ve seen in this post people refer to 4000+ caches that they have loaded. How are they doing that?

That was simply an example. This thread is not about learning how to create pocket queries. That information is better covered elsewhere (or simply by experimentation). But frankly... why would anyone even want 500? By the time you get to using them, it will be very stale data anyway. I load what I'm planning on using for the day or the weekend.

2. Instructions say when creating a PQ to only request the indicated choices. What if you don’t want, or care about some of the types of caches? Do I have to select “Of any type” or can I narrow it down. I’d also like to only query caches that I have not found. If I change some of these settings, will the macro not work?

Same answer as #1. You can customize pocket queries in a great many ways, but that is not the subject of this thread. This thread is about a macro that can install pocket queries onto your Nuvi using GSAK.

3. Once you load POI’s, can you later remove them? I’d like to be able to remove them once I’ve found them.

You can, but its all, or nothing. You can delete the e:\garmin\poi\poi.gpi file (your drive letter may be different) to remove all caches.

4. In the post, I’ve seen people refer to creating/maintaining different databases. Is this done only in the GSAK, or are they individually loaded onto the Nuvi and are then selectable?

Databases are a GSAK thing.

5. urrently, when I load a cache to my Nuvi, it shows up as a Favorite. When viewing the Map, I can see the little treasure chest icon on the map, and when I go off-road in pedestrian mode, I can walk towards the icon seeing my path. Will I be able to see the POI on the map in the same way, and will I be able to walk off-road and see where I’m walking as I approach the cache – or will I have to do like the tutorial and switch to satellite mode and close in using the coordinates.

These will not show up as favorites. It costs you nothing to try... why don't you simply grab the macro (and GSAK if you haven't got it yet) and give it a try?

www.poi-factory.com, and elsewhere. Again, not really a subject for this thread.

Edited by knowschad

Installed 1.3 macro. TourGuide works on my 260W. I have a cache .2 miles from where I'm sitting and as soon as Garmin loaded and I selected map "DING DING DING!" AWESOME!!! I know it's not a feature on a 260W, I didn't yet the lips. 2xx series show alert in orange bar at top of screen only. :o But hey! We cheated the system and that's what counts.

Thanks again Pilot.

Wow - this is awesome. Running it on a 200w and loving it already!

On a side note to The Raven's post - that "DING DING DING..."

I love the tour guide feature - the visual prox alerts and the icons on the screen are great - and it's interesting to see the density in my area.

Problem is it's "DING"ing all the time - and on my 200w it's rather loud and disruptive. Is there any way to edit this sound file or maybe replace it (since I know mp3 files can be included)? Or is that a hard-coded Garmin thing?

***EDIT*** Just found it and changed it to something a bit more subtle.

Edited by derangedlunatech

That was simply an example. This thread is not about learning how to create pocket queries. That information is better covered elsewhere (or simply by experimentation). But frankly... why would anyone even want 500? By the time you get to using them, it will be very stale data anyway. I load what I'm planning on using for the day or the weekend.

Same answer as #1. You can customize pocket queries in a great many ways, but that is not the subject of this thread. This thread is about a macro that can install pocket queries onto your Nuvi using GSAK.

You can, but its all, or nothing. You can delete the e:\garmin\poi\poi.gpi file (your drive letter may be different) to remove all caches.

Databases are a GSAK thing.

5. Currently, when I load a cache to my Nuvi, it shows up as a Favorite. When viewing the Map, I can see the little treasure chest icon on the map, and when I go off-road in pedestrian mode, I can walk towards the icon seeing my path. Will I be able to see the POI on the map in the same way, and will I be able to walk off-road and see where I’m walking as I approach the cache – or will I have to do like the tutorial and switch to satellite mode and close in using the coordinates.

These will not show up as favorites. It costs you nothing to try... why don't you simply grab the macro (and GSAK if you haven't got it yet) and give it a try?

www.poi-factory.com, and elsewhere. Again, not really a subject for this thread.

This thread is not about learning how to create pocket queries. That information is better covered elsewhere

My first two questions start off with "The toutorial says" and "Instructions say". I thought I was asking questions about the macro... sorry.

You can delete the e:\garmin\poi\poi.gpi file

Does that remove only the POI's loaded by the macro, or all POI's stored in the unite?

These will not show up as favorites.

That's not what I asked. I know they will not show up as Favorites, the question was will the POI show up on the map as I'm walking towards it - like Favorites do.

I appreciate keeping things on topic - but my questions are all about things I've read in this thread or about the macro itself as I read through the instructions/tutorial. I'm just trying to understand what I'm seeing and reading about the macro - that's the point of the second question - not to ask how to create a Pocket Queries in general, but about the specific Macro instructions about creating the PQ for the macro. I only wanted to verify if selecting other things would break the macro.

So, if I'm asking questons about using this macro, and it crosses into other functions - POI's, PQ's GSAK, where should I post these? Because again, I'm not asking for general instructions on these to just learn them, but how to use them in terms of the things I'm reading here in these posts adn in the instructions. If there is a better place, I'll be gald to move my post there.

Sorry for inconveniencing anyone,

Mike

I think I understand the focus of your questions so I'll give it a shot. I've used this macro since it was first published and it has caused me to change my caching process (for the better). Here goes.

ANS: They are loading them as POIs via this macro. The 500 is the PQ limit so the only way to get 4000+ is to merge them into one GSAK database (i.e. Nuvi) and then convert them to the nuvi format with this macro. I have 11 PQs merged for a total over 5000 that covers the area in a 30 mile radius around home (and that's just the T3.5 or less). The POI format can hold many, many more than the Favorites format.

ANS: Any changes you make to the selections possible when requesting a PQ will not affect this macro. And, once you've imported the PQ into GSAK, you can further refine which caches you want with filters.

ANS: Only en mass. Doesn't work the same as Favorites - that's how Garmin programmed it. You can rerun the macro with a different set of caches and overwrite. But, there is no way to delete one-by-one.

ANS: It's a GSAK thing. However, with creative manipulation, you could probably create several Tourguides using this macro, one at a time. Probably not worth the effort though (especially when trying to maintain them!).

ANS: I haven't tried that approach in the field. However, I have driven toward the general area of the POI icon (the "shoebox" icon) the same as the Favorites icon (the "treasure chest"). Works OK but I still use a handheld for the final approach.

ANS: Previous replier was right - see www.poi-factory.com. They are POI files (usually in .csv format) that you can download. There are many, many more available as well for various interests; like Interstate Rest Areas, National Parks, State Parks, Lighthouse, Starbucks, Dennys restaurant, etc.

I think I understand the focus of your questions so I'll give it a shot. I've used this macro since it was first published and it has caused me to change my caching process (for the better). Here goes.

ANS: They are loading them as POIs via this macro. The 500 is the PQ limit so the only way to get 4000+ is to merge them into one GSAK database (i.e. Nuvi) and then convert them to the nuvi format with this macro. I have 11 PQs merged for a total over 5000 that covers the area in a 30 mile radius around home (and that's just the T3.5 or less). The POI format can hold many, many more than the Favorites format.

ANS: Any changes you make to the selections possible when requesting a PQ will not affect this macro. And, once you've imported the PQ into GSAK, you can further refine which caches you want with filters.

ANS: Only en mass. Doesn't work the same as Favorites - that's how Garmin programmed it. You can rerun the macro with a different set of caches and overwrite. But, there is no way to delete one-by-one.

ANS: It's a GSAK thing. However, with creative manipulation, you could probably create several Tourguides using this macro, one at a time. Probably not worth the effort though (especially when trying to maintain them!).

ANS: I haven't tried that approach in the field. However, I have driven toward the general area of the POI icon (the "shoebox" icon) the same as the Favorites icon (the "treasure chest"). Works OK but I still use a handheld for the final approach.

ANS: Previous replier was right - see www.poi-factory.com. They are POI files (usually in .csv format) that you can download. There are many, many more available as well for various interests; like Interstate Rest Areas, National Parks, State Parks, Lighthouse, Starbucks, Dennys restaurant, etc.

Thanks Cache O'Plenty - this helps. I'm ready to start playing with this, I'm just waiting for my PQ to show up. I submitted it last night. I thought it would have arrived by now - must be backed up.

Mike

Proceed as normal to create the gpx file using the "friends" database in GSAK.

Upload this to the Garmin using POILOADER, and set any alerts as normal.

Now, goto the Garmin unit in explorer, and look in \GARMIN\POI

Rename the poi.gpi file to friendshouse.gpi

Repeat for the next database.

As many GPI files as you want can be used.

I did as above for 3 different databases. In Garmin\POI I named each file different. Now in Where To>My Locations>Custom POIs>, all three POI databases are there, but they are all named Geocache TourGuide. Is there a way for the name of the POI file to appear in the Custom POI menu on the Garmin ??? Thanks again for this excellent geocaching tool !!!

I did as above for 3 different databases. In Garmin\POI I named each file different. Now in Where To>My Locations>Custom POIs>, all three POI databases are there, but they are all named Geocache TourGuide. Is there a way for the name of the POI file to appear in the Custom POI menu on the Garmin ??? Thanks again for this excellent geocaching tool !!!

Look at this one built around pilotsnipes excellent macro http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195389

It may have what you're looking for.

Would someone be so kind as to point me to the proper line in the Macro to change the distance the Alert will be displayed. I would prefer a greatest warning that a cache is in the area. I have the Garmin 660

Thank You

In the macro editor CTRL+H

Replace all:

<gpxx:WaypointExtension>

With:

<gpxx:WaypointExtension><gpxx:Proximity>1000</gpxx:Proximity>

Where 1000 = Distance in meters

So if you want 5 miles it would look like this:

<gpxx:WaypointExtension><gpxx:Proximity>8046.72</gpxx:Proximity>

This will override any settings in POI Loader manual mode. See my other posts.

Edited by jjreds

I have not purchased a Nuvi yet, but spent some hours trying to figure out the best ones for use for this project, since I have not had success with the Garmin Coloradoes yet.

I made a Garmin Nuvi Comparison chart below, using Excel, and I have a copy of it still in Microsoft Excel.

GarminNuviGPSComparisonChartJune200.jpg

It has been quite a painful process, trying to figure out which Nuvi is best for me, since I need one with Bluetooth, FM Transmitter for use with Car Radio, and Auto sorting of multiple stops.

I could add columns to the chart for aiding this Paperless Geocaching project, or Email Excel 2003 spreadsheet to whoever needs it.

EDIT: Columns added, would cover the capabilities and limitations, like which ones have a full satellite screen, and which ones are best for finding caches using high proximity values.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I have not purchased a Nuvi yet, but spent some hours trying to figure out the best ones for use for this project, since I have not had success with the Garmin Coloradoes yet.

I made a Garmin Nuvi Comparison chart below, using Excel, and I have a copy of it still in Microsoft Excel.

GarminNuviGPSComparisonChartJune200.jpg

It has been quite a painful process, trying to figure out which Nuvi is best for me, since I need one with Bluetooth, FM Transmitter for use with Car Radio, and Auto sorting of multiple stops.

Wow!! You've got some serious work put into that chart! Thanks for the great resource!!

<<snip>>

Scratch the FM transmitter. Sadly, the FM xmitter is woefully underpowered. My Nuvi 760 is in clear sight of the vehicle's AM/FM antenna. There is no more than 3 feet of air between the two (not including the windshield glass - which is just glass). Adjacent frequency radio stations off in the distance and *other* vehicle FM transmitters easily jam the Nuvi's signal into my stock antenna / radio.

Complaints to Garmin go nowhere - they maintain it is the result of FCC laws (that apparently only apply to them - everyone else's xmitter seems to work just fine). The 760 speaker is too small for decent quality audio for BT connections, use the Nuvi's audio out jack to a cassette adapter or other way into your vehicle's sound system - that is the only way to get quality audio out of the device.

Good luck!

Steve

I have a Nuvi 760 and really like it. I selected it because I wanted wide screen, Blue Tooth, and street name voice prompts. This was the best for the price. I got mine in January.

Previous poster is correct - forget about the FM transmitter as a feature - useless.

Bluetooth works pretty well - synced right up with my phone, and loads in the address book each time. BUT - I don't like that it does not have a jack for an external mic. People tell me that I sound like I'm talking in a tunnel. Sound output is okay - but could be better in my opinion.

My big complaint (and you can read in detail my other post somewhere about this) is the battery life. Garmin says, as does your chart, that the battery last 4-5 hrs. My first unit only got 1.5hrs and the refurb they sent me in exchange only gets 2hrs at best. I've posted a question asking other 760 users what their battery life is, but know one has replied. 2 hrs is not good for going off road for geocaching.

The other thing to consider in terms of geocaching is that these units are not really "off-road" durable. You wouldn't want to drop it, or risk getting it wet.

...I've posted a question asking other 760 users what their battery life is, but know one has replied.

First off, thank you pilotsnipes for your excellent work. I am a relative geocaching newbie (but not GPS both installed and handheld), this macro is awesome absolutely no problem going paperless (...and i've never even tried the paper method :ph34r: ).

CAWM, battery life reply (and my nuvi caching opinion) at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3516349. Actually there was a lot of info posted to help extend battery life, using those I get 3 1/2 hours easy.

Edited by gpsjager

Been using the macro just a couple days now. I like it, it make entering waypoints on the nuvi much easier! I don't use the nuvi to actually find the cache, I use the handheld unit for that. The nuvi is used for navigating to the cache site, and the palm is for logging. The logging aspect is missing from the nuvi. One thing that bugs me is the fixed smart name/type/gc # number display. Takes Jill about five minutes to read it all off. I would prefer just the GC #. I'm sure others want to retain the smart name and all. So an enhancement request is to allow selection of what is used to display the cache name.

Jim

is the fixed smart name/type/gc # number display. Takes Jill about five minutes to read it all off. I would prefer just the GC #. I'm sure others want to retain the smart name and all. So an enhancement request is to allow selection of what is used to display the cache name.

Just open the macro and a few lines down is a very obvious line that you can change to show them anyway you want!

is the fixed smart name/type/gc # number display. Takes Jill about five minutes to read it all off. I would prefer just the GC #. I'm sure others want to retain the smart name and all. So an enhancement request is to allow selection of what is used to display the cache name.

Just open the macro and a few lines down is a very obvious line that you can change to show them anyway you want!

Here is the line he is referring and it indicates the changes I made for my needs.

"%ShortName=14 %typ1%con1 %dif1a%ter1a %last4 %datelf"

Today I a cacher that I know well found another use for the Nuvi and this macro. I This cacher friend of mine loaded the pocket query on my his Nuvi, but stupidly forgot to load it onto my his handheld. Didn't realise this until a 30 mile drive. This cacher (who shall remain anonymous) still didn't use the Nuvi for actually hunting the cache, but at least had the coordinates there to plug into the eTrex. Nuvi saved the day! I he thanks you!!

Found first catch with 200W today. It works great. Only problem I had was trying to get satelite page on 200w kept taking me to where to. Is this common with 200w or do I have a defective touch screen. I have to touch the strength bars several times it's hit or miss if the satelites page shows up.

Found first catch with 200W today. It works great. Only problem I had was trying to get satelite page on 200w kept taking me to where to. Is this common with 200w or do I have a defective touch screen. I have to touch the strength bars several times it's hit or miss if the satelites page shows up.

Try changing the vehicle to a small rotating pointer. This takes the place of the compass, use with map north up MAX ZOOM and is deadly accurate believe it or not for finding GZ. Much easier than using the sat screen.

Anyway, yes you have to press the very edge of the screen, if you want to recalibrate your touch screen hold the switch on when you start up for 45 secs. You will get a dot to touch that will move around the screen, you can calibrate it for your touch.

I'd used the macro a few weeks ago to load cache details for my Nuvi 250. There appears to be some improvements now, so I downloaded the new version (1.3) after updating GSAK to the latest version (7.2.2.23).

Unfortunately, now I get the cache header details (much nicer than before!) but no description or hints. I thought that perhaps the load was at fault, but it appears that the "Geocache TourGuide.gpx" file doesn't contain the descriptions, hints or logs. Any advice?

if you want to recalibrate your touch screen hold the switch on when you start up for 45 secs. You will get a dot to touch that will move around the screen, you can calibrate it for your touch.

Too cool! That is great information! It is still VERY tough getting the satellite screen on the 200W, though. Just took me five tries.

I'd used the macro a few weeks ago to load cache details for my Nuvi 250. There appears to be some improvements now, so I downloaded the new version (1.3) after updating GSAK to the latest version (7.2.2.23).

Unfortunately, now I get the cache header details (much nicer than before!) but no description or hints. I thought that perhaps the load was at fault, but it appears that the "Geocache TourGuide.gpx" file doesn't contain the descriptions, hints or logs. Any advice?

I'm beginning to believe that this may be a POILoader problem that has nothing to do with the macro. I loaded a PQ on Saturday using the macro. The full description and hint showed up quite nicely. I was going back to the same area the next day, but I had some problems the day before with my proximity settings, so without rerunning the macro I reloaded the same tourguide.gpx file, but I had no "MORE" button today. The ONLY thing that changed was that I had deleted the previous file and reloaded it. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced anything like that.

I'm beginning to believe that this may be a POILoader problem that has nothing to do with the macro. I loaded a PQ on Saturday using the macro. The full description and hint showed up quite nicely. I was going back to the same area the next day, but I had some problems the day before with my proximity settings, so without rerunning the macro I reloaded the same tourguide.gpx file, but I had no "MORE" button today. The ONLY thing that changed was that I had deleted the previous file and reloaded it. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced anything like that.

I'm seeing the same thing ... see my post in this thread.

This macro and tutorial is great. I can imagine the work you have into this project. I just wish I found it before buying a colorado to match with my Nuvi.

Is there any way that I can modify the macro code to not decrypt the hint?

Danny Clark

"Skylighter"

Severn, MD

The problem I'm experiencing is quite different. The "More" button appears, but there is nothing to see. It can't be a POILoader problem: there is no description or hints in the "Geocache TourGuide.gpx" file.

Thanks Pilotsnipes. Incredible Program! Because of you I stopped the endless debating over which GPS to buy next and I bought a Nuvi760 on Friday. The program works great. I appreciate the hours that you put into the macro and the tutorial. I downloaded 500 new nearby POIs to my Nuvi and all is good with only one glitch. The glitch has nothing to do with what you have done; rather, it is related to my ignorance.

I am hoping someone else can help me out with this. I get an error and I am wondering what I need to move to avoid this? I can work around the error by continuing on with the Macro and manually inputing the correct folder. However, I would like to correct it if possible. Here is the error message:

error.jpg

Here is where I have pertinent files located:

C:\gsak\gsak.exe (version 7.2.2.23)

C:\gsak\Macros\garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk (downloaded yesterday)

C:\Garmin\POILoader.exe (version 2.5.2)

C:\gsak\poiloader\Geocache TourGuide.gpx

Thanks!

Edited by TillaMurphs

Thanks Pilotsnipes. Incredible Program! Because of you I stopped the endless debating over which GPS to buy next and I bought a Nuvi760 on Friday. The program works great. I appreciate the hours that you put into the macro and the tutorial. I downloaded 500 new nearby POIs to my Nuvi and all is good with only one glitch. The glitch has nothing to do with what you have done; rather, it is related to my ignorance.

I am hoping someone else can help me out with this. I get an error and I am wondering what I need to move to avoid this? I can work around the error by continuing on with the Macro and manually inputing the correct folder. However, I would like to correct it if possible. Here is the error message:

error.jpg

Here is where I have pertinent files located:

C:\gsak\gsak.exe (version 7.2.2.23)

C:\gsak\Macros\garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk (downloaded yesterday)

C:\Garmin\POILoader.exe (version 2.5.2)

C:\gsak\Geocache TourGuide.gpx

Thanks!

POILoader "remembers" where you last loaded a file from, and tries to go back there the next time. If you ran another GSAK macro that calls POILoader from a different folder, it will still be looking in that folder for the gpx file. The solution, if that's the case, is to specify the correct folder once again in the Pilotsnipes macro. (I had this happen to me when I tried out "the other" Nuvi macro, and then came back to this one)