Garmin Nuvi - True Paperless Geocaching

WOW!!! Thanks so much for this macro...I have been using an old and very unreliable Palm Pilot to carry around cache info in the field...with this new setup I'm using my 250 to get me to the parking area, read up on the cache and then away I go with my little old garmin geko for the final hunt. To me and the missus this is the PERFECT setup. Thanks to pilotsnipes and co. for the hard work on this one...a much appreciated compliment to the already mighty gsak.

Looking forward to the addition of alerts.

JASON(monk&mush)MELISSA

:):);):)

Excellent tutorial. I just purchased a nuvi 660 off of ebay for about $300. My parents have had one for about a year and it has come in really handy for driving. But knowing how accurate it was to get you to a house location, I knew there had to be some way it could also be used as a handheld gps due to already having that accuracy.

I almost went and bought an older handheld for geocaching, but decided to google it first and was directed to the thread.

From your tutorial I have now been able to figure out how to bring up the satellite screen showing the lat and long co-ord's changing in real time. This was all I needed.

Now I just have to search on what all the little icons mean. I have figured out the little Candy looking ones are satellites. I assume the yellow burst is the sun. What does the cache show up as, just a dot? I assume it only appears when its within the radius of the circles on the satellite screen.

Now I just have to search on what all the little icons mean. I have figured out the little Candy looking ones are satellites. I assume the yellow burst is the sun. What does the cache show up as, just a dot? I assume it only appears when its within the radius of the circles on the satellite screen.

No, nothing will appear in the satellite page when you are close to a cache. You have to look at the co-ords you are at (top right of that page) and move in the correct direction until they match the co-ords given in the Cache details page.

It takes about 2-3 attempts until you "get it" with regards how to make the co-ords change in the direction you want.

This is were a compass rose would be great, but we have to improvise with the Nuvi.

No, nothing will appear in the satellite page when you are close to a cache. You have to look at the co-ords you are at (top right of that page) and move in the correct direction until they match the co-ords given in the Cache details page.

It takes about 2-3 attempts until you "get it" with regards how to make the co-ords change in the direction you want.

This is were a compass rose would be great, but we have to improvise with the Nuvi.

this is an excellent peace of script , i have just installed +11000 caches :D but i have a little question about swedish characters in the smartname, it looks that the script doesnt allow other characters then a-z, 0-9 , is it possible to include å,ä and ö ( iso-8859-1 characters ? )

ive done some "resarch" and it seems to be gsak function for smartnames that not include the swedish characters ...

/P

Edited by v34

Thank You,

we just purchased a Nuvi 200 and used it today along with our GPS72 and it was great, when we got home, I followed all your instructions and now have all the caches in the nuvi ready to go

Thanks again

BTW we can also not bring up the satalite page either

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

this is an excellent peace of script , i have just installed +11000 caches smile.gif but i have a little question about swedish characters in the smartname, it looks that the script doesnt allow other characters then a-z, 0-9 , is it possible to include å,ä and ö ( iso-8859-1 characters ? )

ive done some "resarch" and it seems to be gsak function for smartnames that not include the swedish characters ...

You can configure which characters are "kept" in smart names via "Tools=>Options=>General"

67e2033e4095ea20c2e8e9897a3957bb.png

We've tried this macro and love it. Our only regret is that we don't know if there are any nearby caches as they don't show as dots or anything. We've been going to the listings themselves and looking for the closest ones available.

Click "Where to?", "My Locations", "Custom POIs" and you will get the 5 nearest caches displayed with an arrow for bearing and distance displayed. You can even hit the down arrow to view other caches, not just the 5 closest. The list is constantly updated as you drive.

This even works while the Nuvi is giving you turn by turn directions to a location. You won't see the map, but the Nuvi will continue to speak to you even while viewing the custom POIs. I use mine like this all the time, it lets me know when I'm getting close to a cache anywhere along my route.

We've tried this macro and love it. Our only regret is that we don't know if there are any nearby caches as they don't show as dots or anything. We've been going to the listings themselves and looking for the closest ones available.

Ok, after rereading this it looks like you are doing the same thing as me. I wonder if you save the 10 or 20 nearest caches to your favorites folder if they would show on the map. That would be great for a spontanious caching trip. Just take a minute to save a few to the favorites folder and away you go. :P

Yes, you can save the caches to Favorites and they will then appear on the driving map. Your limit is 500 in favorites as opposed to the almost unlimited in POIs. The downside is that all of the cache detail information is on the POI side.

I load ALL of my area's caches from 6 different Pocket Queries into the POIs using this macro. Then, if I know where I'm going (for sure), I also load the separate PQ for that area into the Favorites. Best of both worlds. This does prevent you from using the "Save to Favorites" feature to indicate those that you found that makes this macro "truely paperless" though. Easy enough to make a quick note somewhere though.

Ok hands up who has a Nuvi 3xx series and would like to help me test a new script that now allows you to upload the gpx file using POILoader, and NOW shows colours and breaks in the description just like the 2xx/6xx/7xx series!!

Please PM me your email address. If the test is successful I'll update the tutorial and the script on the website. :D

Edited by pilotsnipes

Hey there, question for you people whose non-wide Nuvi 200's do have a satellite screen, can you please post which firmware you are at? Thanks!

There is a workaround for people who cannot access the satellite screen.

I am only able to describe the procedure for a Nuvi 3xx, but the 200 should offer the same functionality.

All it needs is to tell the Nuvi that you're going off road for those last few meters to the cache. For the Nuvi 3xx this can be accomplished like this:

From the main screen use the wrench (aka 'Settings'), then choose 'Navigation'.

Set 'Route Preference' to 'Off Road' and 'Vehicle' to 'Pedestrian'. After this the Nüvi will navigate according to your actual position and will not try to keep you 'on the road'.

For Nuvi 2xx:

From the main screen use the wrench (aka 'Settings'), then choose 'System'. Set 'Usage Mode' to 'Pedestrian'.

Now choose 'Navigation'. Set 'Route Preference' to 'Off Road'

In connection with the blue ring showing the GPS' accuracy I actually prefer this to the method of using the coordinates directly. But as always, it is everyone to his taste.

Edited by madherb

Absolutely awesome! THANK YOU so much for all your hard work on this! My son and I are new to geocaching (we've only done 4 so far...but found them all!) and I was just starting to think how much prep was involved with copy/pasting stuff and downloading each cache individually into my nuvi...plus I keep reading about how the gps' for driving aren't the real ones to use for geocaching... but since we're 4 of 4 I figured we'd keep trying to use the nuvi for a bit before we break down and buy a real hand-held gps.

Now I'm just wondering why I'd even switch to something else (other than maybe for durability and battery life reasons)!

There were a lot of downloads and steps involved and a couple of areas I had to go over a few times to get right...but I'm amazed at your thorough instructions and illustrations and links...it just made it all go so smoothly even when I really had no clue what I was doing!

BTW I'm using a nuvi 200...certainly nothing fancy but it's doing the job!!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Be blessed!

The Schlessinger Family

Hey there, question for you people whose non-wide Nuvi 200's do have a satellite screen, can you please post which firmware you are at? Thanks!

Hi...I'm using a non-wide Nuvi 200 and I also can't get to the satellite screen...have you had any luck figuring it out yet? (YES, I have tried holding down the green satellite reception bars...and it's not a "fat finger" problem!)

I tried this last night and appeared to work fine. Is it normal however for only 32 cache items to list at one time under POI? It said 500 items were uploaded. I suspect it maybe only shows the closest 32 to a certain distance. Or perhaps there is a way to increase the view range of the 500+ caches uploaded.

Will still look around my nuvi 660, but if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate the suggestions or help. Thansk again for the tutorial.

Yes, it's normal to only show 32 (although mine shows 13 pages at 4 each - or 52). Yes, it's the closest ones. But all of them are still there. You can access the others by using the "spell" function.

You can change where it thinks it is by selecting "Near" (at the bottom of the screen where you select "Extras"). Pick a different city. I haven't found a way to step through all of them.

This is the same for "Favorites".

Thanks for the fast replay and that confirms my suspicions. Now I did find that when I was entering the cache co-ordinates manually and setting a symbol for them, I do like seeing them on the main map at all times. So I may still do that for some, but the POI cache information page with hints is well worth the hour to get this setup.

I found I was waiting over 15 min for the initial cache query email, but found that I had validated my premium account, but not hit an additional link to allow queries. So I was waiting for an email that would never arrive. :laughing: But it appeared a few minutes later.

You can import a .gpx file into Favorites that has up to 500 caches so they will show up on the map. They can be a subset of the caches in your POI file (or different ones if you choose).

So, if your POI file has, say, 2500 caches, select the 500 (make it 450 to allow for your "other" favorites") and create a .gpx file with GSAK. Quick way to select is to use the User Flag in GSAK and then filter on that, export and then import it to your Garmin's memory in the nuvi\Garmin\gpx subfolder. You can use that same exported .gpx file in GoogleEarth to see an overview of the area and assure you got the "right ones".

You can also use the GPS export from the cache page to send one cache at a time to the Garmin - no hand entry. Great for grabbing info on a new cache.

Of course, this doesn't bring any of the detail info into Favorites. But, use the Favorites list to get you to the cache area then pull up the POI file and your list should show the closest cache and then the detail is all there.

I'd like that too but you can't have all of the POIs show - there are over 6,000,000 in the base file alone. Processing time would probably be prohibitive. But, maybe (as you said) a user option in each POI file (or maybe each POI line - horrors!) sorta like how "Proximity Alerts" work.

Mav & Dad, I have a Nuvi 250 and can not get the nav screen, I am running software version 4.10 and GPS software version 2.30b. It would be nice to know what software versions have the screen.

I have tried everything to get the screen to show but it does not want to come up, I have tried the pencil trick(both ends) and nothing wants to come up. Tried for both 5 and 10 seconds. I just got my nuvi last night and upgraded the sw was the first thing that I did, so I don't know if an older version has it.

BTW, Pilotsnipes I just wanted to say thanks for all the work that you put into this, I bought the Nuvi because I wanted a GPS that could do both Auto and Geo and your work helped me decide on the nuvi 250. I just wish I could have afforded a better one. :laughing:

Guys I really need someone who is around this evening (it's now almost 6pm in Dublin) with a Nuvi 6xx OR a Nuvi 2xx to get in contact with me.

I think we may be able to do something about the 1500 character limit on the Nuvi 2xx (by that I mean increase it to near 20 THOUSAND!) but I don't have one to test.

And for the Nuvi 6xx I need to know if you get "sub-text" under each main poi name whilst browsing - a lovely new feature that works for the Nuvi 7xx/2xx!

Please send me an email to "pilotsnipes AT gmail dot com"

And we'll try to get an online chat going for a few minutes. I only need about 10 mins of your time.

Thank you

New release of my Macro!

Folks, I've just done some serious work on the macro after getting feedback over the past few weeks. I think I've come up with something special for you all.

Here's what's new, and a few photo's to tease you.

What's New

• POILoader now used for all Nuvi's! No more custom exports
  • CUSTOM ALERTS WORK!! Set your unit to alert you within whatever range you set!
  • Colours now work on the Nuvi 3xx series!!
  • New macro that has a menu for you to choose which Nuvi you have.
  • No need to edit the macro for new users!
  • Nuvi 7xx number of characters increased to 20,000 (that's NOT a typo!)
  • Nuvi 250 has a possible increase too, awaiting feedback.
  • Extra information available in the Cache listing page
  • Fixed the unprocessed html on page before main cache info.
  • 1 macro for ALL nuvis.
  • Ability to change cache description to have hints at the VERY end, or before the logs (default).
  • No need to download extra icons/sound files, all included automatically in the macro!
  • Setup for new people takes less than 15mins now!

Fancy that? How about some screenshots!?

New Macro interface - very easy for all!

tutorial4.gif

The Nuvi 3xx with colours!

demo2.gifdemo3.gif

Nuvi 7xx (hopefully 6xx and 2xx too) with improved cache display

demo4.gifdemo5.gif

Alert features!

tips15.gif

I still need feedback for the Nuvi 2xx. I have left the number of characters set at 1500, but I have a feeling you can now get MANY many more. Just need someone to get in contact with me to finalise it!

What do I do to upgrade or I'm a new user

Just visit my website http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

And follow the instructions! Because there is so much changed I have renamed the macro. If you have my old one, you can delete it so that you do not get confused.

Feedback welcome!

Everything seems to work great except for one of my databases. I get the following error:

Error log: 5/22/2008 4:44:47 PM

MacVersion = 1.0

MacDescription = Nuvi 2xx 3xx 6xx 7xx GPX Geocaching Export for POILoader with Combined Description, Hint and Logs!!

MacAuthor = Pilotsnipes (based on code from Clyde and Kai Team)

MacUrl = http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

Current Macro: C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk

Error in Macro at line: 397

$d_lby = RegExReplace("&",$d_lby,"and")

Error=> You cannot update database variable: $d_lby because there are no records in the file

Macro will now abort

-----------------------------

I understand it's looking for '&" and replacing it with "and" but I'm not sure what field it's looking at in line 397.

This only happens for one of my databases. I've tested it on 3 others with no problems. But if I create a merged database that includes this one database, I get the error. I've tried deleting the offending database completely and recreating it but it still fails. Any ideas?

MMMm yes one of your caches has no logs, that's what's screwing it up. I'll have a think about that...

(Quick fix, is find the cache with no logs and remove it, if you want to get the others)

Sidenote:

By the way How does this look on the 660? Could you post any screenshots? I'd like to see it too!!

Edited by pilotsnipes

That was it. I had three waypoints (for parking) that had no logs. Deleting them fixed. Note: when I reload the PQ, the waypoints are back! Now I'll have to delete them each time (or modify the PQ somehow).

1. First screen (the list of 4 nearest caches) on the 660 looks the same.

2. Next page is fixed but has an icon in the upper left corner with a right pointing arrow. Pressing it causes a "ding" to sound and the icon goes to a red square. GC logo appears to the right (nice). Text area to the left of the "Go!" is full of information - a bit complex including the coordinates, size, container, last 4 logs, TB indicator,found indicator, D/T, Name (again), owner, Place date, Last found date. The Name, type and Found status could be deleted here as it's already at the top.

3. The "More" is gone and I can't get to any of the detail. Is that what the Green Arrow icon was supposed to do?

I'd send you a screen shot if I knew how to capture one!!

Think I've fixed it. Try downloading the macro again and overwrite.

If you don't press the box that makes it go ding, can you see the normal cache info.

Screen shots under tools, display, Then it saves them on the unit. You can copy them off the unit and upload to somewhere like photobucket.

Edited by pilotsnipes

Ok. That fixed it (deleting the offending command in the macro always fixes fatal errors!!).

I can't get to the description area that was available before when I had "More" available. I only have the cryptic data on the initial screen described above. No description, no hints, no logs, etc.

I got the screenshot but how do I upload?

Ignore this post!!

It's working now. I upgraded to .40 with no luck. Then I did a clean install from .40, restored my GSAK files from my laptop, and all works great! Don't know what happen but I'm sure it was on my end.

RATS!

I installed the new macro and all went well. Created the button and "pushed" it to write the POI file for my NUVI 350 and up pops a window with "WAIT Token must be Yes or No".

I'm running WIN XP SP2 and version 7.2.1.35 of GSAK. What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by RGS

I've got a nuvi200 non wide screen that was bought back for Xmas, but I don't get any satellite screen. I've tried with a pencil and my wife's fingers, but no luck.

I upgraded to the latest firmware and no luck.

I sure would like to have that! :unsure:

Everything seems to work fine until I look for a description. When I hit the "more" button it just gives me the title, but doesn't give me any description.

Do I need to look for specific caches that would have that description in the file it downloads? Or should it be getting the info from elsewhere? How can I tell if a location has the description in there?

Sorry for so many questions.

Edited by smocksam

Just tried the new macro and procedure on my Nuvi360.

OUTSTANDING!!!

I have posted in this thread before and each version just keeps getting better and better.

I had a 260 which I actually liked better than the 360 I have now. I thought the screen had somewhat better visibility. However, I went with the 360 as it showed so much more information.

I am curious if anyone has determined if the character limitation has increased and if so, how much.

Just when I think this can't get any better....you improve it even more. It is so much easier now!

Thanks!

The good news is that when we find the problem for the 2xx/6xx series the fix will be easy to apply for you all!

We just need to find the fix. I don't think it will take long.

Just as a test, 2xx/6xx owners, run the macro again this time picking the 3xx as your GPS type. We'll see if your units needs the older way of generating the data....

PS. Just in case some of you missed it, there other pages of the website were updated as well..

Edited by pilotsnipes

Those of you who cannot see the cache details now, could you tell me the following:

1) What exact Nuvi model do you have

2) What version of POILOADER are you running - you can find this here:

poiversion.gif

3) If you know it, what firmware version too.

4) If you are able, please send me a screenshot via email, or post it here.

I'm gone for the next 24 hours, but I will get back to you.

Just as a test, 2xx/6xx owners, run the macro again this time picking the 3xx as your GPS type. We'll see if your units needs the older way of generating the data....

I Have run the Macro as a 3xx and it loads fine on my nuvi 250 but it crashes when i try to bring up the Cach POI. I can bring up the list but it crashes when I bring up the individual POI. I rerun it as a 2xx and it loads great on my Nuvi.

I have also contacted Garmin support on the issue with the Sat/Orb screen not being there on my Nuvi 250. So hopefully some answers or infor on that soon.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this, it ads so much more functionality to the Nuvi.

Pilotsnipes:

New release of my Macro!

Folks, I've just done some serious work on the macro after getting feedback over the past few weeks. I think I've come up with something special for you all.

Here's what's new, and a few photo's to tease you.

::snip::

[*]Ability to change cache description to have hints at the VERY end, or before the logs (default).

::snip::

Feedback welcome!

Wow - you've covered a great deal of ground in the last week - very impressive! This project of yours continues to be a great help for new GPS users (and veterans alike) interested in Geocaching.

I noticed that you incorporated my request to provide the placement of the "hints" in one of two locations in the script. I haven't installed the the caches on my GPS yet - but I ran everything on the PC to try it out. I did not see a point when running the script where I was asked where the hints should go.

After opening the new script in GSAK for editing, I saw the "true / false" variable for the location of "hints" - and I manually edited it. I re-ran the "Nuvi" script again without incident, so editing the variable does not break the script. I'm sure that when the resulting "tour guide" file is transfered w/ POILoader, it will place the hints at the end (I just don't have the GPS with me today to verify) of the log as expected.

Since there is no mention of how to change the location of the hints, I suggest that either a) provide the option to allow changing the location when the script is run, or B) direct the user to manually edit the script variable on the http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html page.

I'm going to have to go back home and grab my GPS and try this out...

Again - thanks!

Steve

I have a Nuvi 300 but haven't yet tried the paperless caching- it does seem quite an achievement and lots of people seem impressed with it - well done! It has got me thinking. I haven't got a "proper" GPS. I have been forever waiting for the Triton 400. It may be getting sorted, but still seems to have issues. As for the Colorado, that seems to have a few issues and is pretty expensive atm. I have recently seen an advert for cheap Nuvi 350's (from the same place I got my 300)- less than the cost of a Triton 400. If I bought one of these, I would have an 8 hour battery life in effect (long actually as I have a portable (but slow) charger). I reckon this should provide at least 11 hours use non-stop from the 2 units. In addition, I am going to Europe at least twice this summer and the maps (an added extra over the 300) will be very useful when caching. It would be nice to have a back-up for when the Nuvi gives up the ghost- I could be sorta stuck when this happens out driving. Finally having 2 nuvis would be me more waypoints to load caches on to. So well worth considering I think, and would give me time to wait longer for more stable/cheaper Tritons or Colorados.

Still can't see the description elements on my Nuvi 6XX:

Model Nuvi 660 NA

nuvi Firmware:Software version 4.30

Audio version 1.90

GPS SW version 2.90

POI Loader version 2.4.2.0

Will try to get a screenshot to you.

Just tested 660 as a 3XX and noted the following:

1. Cache screen no longer contains cryptic data - just the cache title with size, found and GC #

2. Icon in upper left (green arrow)

3. Pressing Green Arrow results in the same "beep" and change to a red square icon.

No crash of GPS though.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Has anyone had success in getting the SAT screen to show up on the Nuvi 2xx (non wide screen) GPSr?

I have recently purchased a 260 and am very happy with it and the wonderful macro by pilotsnipes - figuring out how to make the SAT screen come up would be the icing on the cake.

And yes, I have tried fat fingers, skinny fingers, erasers, etc. No joy on the SAT screen (yet).

Hi Pilotsnipes, thanks for the great work in putting this macro together for us. I just installed the macro and it seems to work for waypoints numbering 860 and less. When I try to send the data with POI Loader with more than that (don't have a figure, probably over 1000), it gives me the following message:

The file D:\GPS Stuff\Nuvi Data\Nuvi Custom POI\Geocache TourGuide.gpx is invalid. Do you want to want to continue?

When I click on the "Yes" button, then it says:

No valid data was found in the specified directory, therefore no data was written. If you need further assistance, please call Garmin Customer Support.

I running GSAK 7.2.1.40 with POI Loader 2.4.2.0 and loading it onto a Nuvi 660 Software Version 4.30. Any ideas on what might be happening?

Hi Pilotsnipes, thanks for the great work in putting this macro together for us. I just installed the macro and it seems to work for waypoints numbering 860 and less. When I try to send the data with POI Loader with more than that (don't have a figure, probably over 1000), it gives me the following message:

The file D:\GPS Stuff\Nuvi Data\Nuvi Custom POI\Geocache TourGuide.gpx is invalid. Do you want to want to continue?

When I click on the "Yes" button, then it says:

No valid data was found in the specified directory, therefore no data was written. If you need further assistance, please call Garmin Customer Support.

I running GSAK 7.2.1.40 with POI Loader 2.4.2.0 and loading it onto a Nuvi 660 Software Version 4.30. Any ideas on what might be happening?

I literally only have 30 secs online here. On the flight over I think I've found the problem to the 2xx/6xx series models.

I shall try to have a fix/test scenario for you all within 24hours.

In the mean time, I've also discovered how to add images to each cache too! So now, maybe, we can also attach cache spoilers directly to the Nuvi for viewing (this is a FUTURE feature).

I do need 2xx/6xx owners to help me here tomorrow (around14 hours from the time this is posted. As I cannot test this here.

I need 10 mins of your time, and it would be helpful if we could have an online chat (gmail chat/yahoo chat etc etc.)

If you're interested/able please drop me a line.

You would not believe how many tweaks are needed for each unit. Garmin ARE NOT consistent and it is very annoying

For those that have a 2xx non wide series and are trying to get the Satellite screen to show...

I called Garmin and queried them about this. It would appear that the 2xx series are not capable of displaying this screen. The closest one can get (according to garmin) is to:

1.) Tap the Where To? icon

2.) scroll down to the coords icon

3.) Tap the coords icon. The initial coords displayed are where you are at the moment.

This is also where you would go to enter specific coords - just tap the appropriate screen section.

4.) If you want the coords to update, tap the back button and then hit the coords button again.

While not optimal, it will help you zero in on the cache. If there is a hack to make the SAT screen work, I and others would be interested in it.