Litter louts

I'm sorry if this has been done before but i'm going to go off on one.

I did a cache this morning, it was a great spot, water, wildlife, greenery, open spaces and a well executed cache and the fly tipping and the litter did not detract from the cache at all, that is why i'm posting here and not on the log. What gets into these people who will drive miles to drop off old tyres and chuck beer cans. you just want a big hand to come out of the sky and give em a good shoe in.

Probably the same people who declare their love for England by wearing the shirt, drink German lager then chuck the empty and go to costa del chav for their holidays ? rant over off my chest now thanks. :blink::o

I know how you feel. Why not organise a CITO event for the area? Have a look at the gallery for the CITO I held last week. Most photo's are taken in close proximity of good caches and the skip is situated only 20 metres from a cache. Despite the caches being enjoyable we still managed to fill the skip up, which was twice the size of a standard skip.

The ones I can't understand are the dog walkers who very carefully pick up after their pooch and then they stick the wee plastic bag of cr*p into a hedge or a gap in a wall. Whilst I don't like stepping in the stuff surely it would disintegrate quicker being rained on etc rather than linger for dear knows how long in a plastic bag in a hedge ( not only an eyesore, but also a health hazard). Worst of the lot was at our last cache 'Above Kenmore' there was a wee plastic bag of poop placed inside the cairn! :blink:

What amazes me with these people is they will drive to the top of a mountain to drop their trash - while a short distance away there is a FREE tip. What I would like to do is catch one of these people, follow them home. Then go and get a lorry load of crap and tip it on their front door. Bet they won't like that but would give me great joy. Oh well that is my 'victor' for the day. laughs..

I know how you feel. Why not organise a CITO event for the area? Have a look at the gallery for the CITO I held last week. Most photo's are taken in close proximity of good caches and the skip is situated only 20 metres from a cache. Despite the caches being enjoyable we still managed to fill the skip up, which was twice the size of a standard skip.

I would organise a cito but it would be a bit of a busmans holiday for me as I work for a local council and I clean up after thoughtless folk five days a week already. :blink:

The ones I can't understand are the dog walkers who very carefully pick up after their pooch and then they stick the wee plastic bag of cr*p into a hedge or a gap in a wall. Whilst I don't like stepping in the stuff surely it would disintegrate quicker being rained on etc rather than linger for dear knows how long in a plastic bag in a hedge ( not only an eyesore, but also a health hazard). Worst of the lot was at our last cache 'Above Kenmore' there was a wee plastic bag of poop placed inside the cairn! :blink:

That drives me nuts too - not only have you polluted the enviroment with dog poo, you've ADDED to the environmental damage by leaving a plastic bag as well. Why???? :o

The ones I can't understand are the dog walkers who very carefully pick up after their pooch and then they stick the wee plastic bag of cr*p into a hedge or a gap in a wall. Whilst I don't like stepping in the stuff surely it would disintegrate quicker being rained on etc rather than linger for dear knows how long in a plastic bag in a hedge ( not only an eyesore, but also a health hazard). Worst of the lot was at our last cache 'Above Kenmore' there was a wee plastic bag of poop placed inside the cairn! :o

That drives me nuts too - not only have you polluted the enviroment with dog poo, you've ADDED to the environmental damage by leaving a plastic bag as well. Why???? :o

Sometimes folks will do that at the start or partway along a walk and then collect it in the way back. Saves carrying a warm bag of dog poo around for a walk :blink:

Sometimes folks will do that at the start or partway along a walk and then collect it in the way back. Saves carrying a warm bag of dog poo around for a walk :laughing:

I must admit I have done that, but I leave it in a place that I won't forget to pick it up on the way back. When you are going for a long walk, the poo does tend to stink.

Who I blame for these bags being left are the local authority for the area that you are walking in. If a place is frequented by lots of dog walkers then bins should be provided, sadly you are lucky to find ordinary bins in popular places let alone poo bins. This however doesn't justify the bag of cr*p being left in the first place!

Sometimes folks will do that at the start or partway along a walk and then collect it in the way back. Saves carrying a warm bag of dog poo around for a walk :laughing:

Who I blame for these bags being left are the local authority for the area that you are walking in. If a place is frequented by lots of dog walkers then bins should be provided, sadly you are lucky to find ordinary bins in popular places let alone poo bins. This however doesn't justify the bag of cr*p being left in the first place!

So now the non-dog owning majority of the population are responsible for buying (and maintaining and emptying) dog poo bins because some dog owners are too lazy to carry pooches pressies home with them????

How about reinstating dog licences instead, upping the price of them, and using the revenue (after "administration charges", obviously) to pay for the bins, and the man to empty them, and another man to patrol the routes to pick up any that get missed..........

Sometimes folks will do that at the start or partway along a walk and then collect it in the way back. Saves carrying a warm bag of dog poo around for a walk :lol:

I must admit I have done that, but I leave it in a place that I won't forget to pick it up on the way back. When you are going for a long walk, the poo does tend to stink.

This comes with a HUGE supply of bags, and a little hook for putting the used ones on until you can find a bin...

And personally, I blame dog walkers, not the local authorities. :laughing:

If you don't like the thought of carrying a bag of poo, don't get a dog! ;)

So now the non-dog owning majority of the population are responsible for buying (and maintaining and emptying) dog poo bins because some dog owners are too lazy to carry pooches pressies home with them????

Quite right! As a council taxpayer, with a dog, I don't see why you should pay your council tax to support me and my pooch.

But there again, I don't have any young kids so perhaps you would exempt me from that bit of my tax which goes towards their welfare and education, and I don't have any disabilities so perhaps I could get let off that bit as well. And maybe I could get a reduction because I don't use any facilities for the elderly (yet!!). And....... so on.

I reckon that if I could pick and choose where my taxes get spent I could save a fortune.

But isn't this just a little off topic now?

Landfill tax has just been massively increased and skip firms have of course had to ramp up their charges to match, so I think we are about to see a lot more fly tipping. Remember a couple of years ago when the scrap value of steel was next to nothing and burnt out cars were everwhere in the countryside? Same principle.

Philip

There was a report in the local paper (Westmorland Gazette) this week about fly-tipping at Gummers How (Cache-related as there are two caches up the top :lol: ).

The supporting picture showed the nicely-packaged stuff dumped yards from the car park. These aren't 'normal' (!?) litter louts but are organised criminals (it IS a criminal offence) passing themselves off as 'waste disposal contractors'. They are doing it purely to save a few bob. The biggest problem is that they're often saving the few bob on disposal of dangerous stuff - Its very expensive to dispose of things like asbestos or waste oil properly. Why not just dump it in the countryside and let the local council/Environment agency pick up the bill instead. ;)

The sooner people who do this are treated like the scum that they are and fined heavily (not a couple of hundred or thousand, but tens of thousands) :laughing: Problem is, I'm not sure the law distiguishes between an individual lobbing a can out of the car window (not good) and a company deliberately and systematically ignoring legislation.

We don't like seeing dumped rubbish .We can't understand it when we've sometimes been to a new'ish cache and seen very old rubbish nearby that's too yuky to pick up yet the cache placer has still seen fit to put the cache there.

Our opinion on fly tipping is there would be less fly tipping if there wasn't a charge at the dump for dumping if it gets taken there in a commercial vehical.

We can take our D.I.Y. debris and bulky items to the dump in or on our car and not get charged for dumping it there .

Not the same story for our neighbour .

He took a bulky domestic item of his mother's (who doesn't live with him ) to the dump in his business van .

Dump employee told our neighbour he would have to pay to leave the item .

Luckily neighbour spotted a friend at the dump who had their car with them , so the item was placed in the friends car , then they asked the same dump employee if there was a charge to dump the item .

There wasn't!

But there again, I don't have any young kids so perhaps you would exempt me from that bit of my tax which goes towards their welfare and education, and I don't have any disabilities so perhaps I could get let off that bit as well. And maybe I could get a reduction because I don't use any facilities for the elderly (yet!!). And....... so on.

...but the differences being you (probably) had an education yourself once, any one of us could be disabled at any time through no fault of our own, and one day we'll all need facilities for the elderly.

Dog ownership is usually voluntary.

Our opinion on fly tipping is there would be less fly tipping if there wasn't a charge at the dump for dumping if it gets taken there in a commercial vehical.

That's very true, but if there wasn 't a charge, then every builder, asbestos remover etc in teh country would be filling the tip with their rubble / refuse etc and there wouldn't be room for your few bags on a Sunday afternoon...

There have to be guidelines, why shouldn't businesses pay???

Four whole posts before the discussion got to dogs waste? WOW! :laughing:

Personally, I find the thoughtless acts of smokers, who have now been driven onto the streets and not provided with ash trays, dumping lit cigarette butts onto pavements equally as offensive as the waste left by someone elses dog. Both are equally likely to end up on my wheels and then hands, and also having a dog stand on a lit cigarette butt, while caching indeed, I can testify first hand to the pain and discomfort felt by the animal, who limped for five days afterwards. The smell of his burning hair / paw was enough to turn my stomach. :lol:

It's replies like keehotee's & Von-Horst's is the reason why I try my best not to make general conversation on here. :laughing:

Both of you didn't read my log correctly. I said 'local authority for the area that you are walking in' yes this does mean council but also means landowners. I also said 'This however doesn't justify the bag of cr*p being left in the first place!' Which was totally ignored by both of you, I don't agree with the lazy sods dumping it in the first place.

Wendy I agree with your thoughts on smokers, it must be worse for yourself for the reasons you have pointed out. My above point stands for the establishments and councils for this as well. Still doesn't justify the lazy sods chucking them on the ground.

Anyway I'm off to do something better like walk my dogs!

It's replies like keehotee's & Von-Horst's is the reason why I try my best not to make general conversation on here. :lol:

:laughing:

I'm sorry, but you are out of line there on several counts.

Your post strongly implied that it was less wrong to dump bags of crap willy-nilly in the absence of litter bins, and that others should be responsible for dog owners clearing up after their animals.

I happen to feel differently.

I'm sorry if someone having a differing opinion upsets you to such an extent that you feel the need to make things personal.

Personally, I find the thoughtless acts of smokers, who have now been driven onto the streets and not provided with ash trays, dumping lit cigarette butts onto pavements equally as offensive as the waste left by someone elses dog.

I have to agree there. I was enjoying the sunshine whilst eating lunch on Saturday and a smoker comes and sits on the bench next to me and lights up. Smoke all you want, just not while im bloody eating!

On topic, ive never seen dog poo in a bag hanging around in a bush or hedge, but then again im just short of 130 caches found...

Edited by Lotho

...but the differences being you (probably) had an education yourself once, any one of us could be disabled at any time through no fault of our own, and one day we'll all need facilities for the elderly.

Dog ownership is usually voluntary.

Dog ownership is usually voluntary, but so is using the local park. I don't use it but should those that do pay more because of the grass cutting, bin emptying etc. Should I pay more because the Countryside or Highways departments maintain some pathways that most don't use but I choose to. Maybe it's extremes, but there's always some things that one group of people choose to use whilst others don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go, :laughing: but as you may have guessed I'm a dog owner, but I like to think I'm quite a responsible one. :lol:

It's replies like keehotee's & Von-Horst's is the reason why I try my best not to make general conversation on here. B)

:laughing:

I'm sorry, but you are out of line there on several counts.

Your post strongly implied that it was less wrong to dump bags of crap willy-nilly in the absence of litter bins, and that others should be responsible for dog owners clearing up after their animals.

I happen to feel differently.

I'm sorry if someone having a differing opinion upsets you to such an extent that you feel the need to make things personal.

1. I don't think so.

2. No I didn't you should go back and read it properly.

3. That is up to you.

4. I'm not sorry and your excuse for a differing opinion felt more like an attack on me, hence my statement which you have chosen to quote.

End of subject as far as I am concerned, going back to my nicer local forum now.

:D:D:D;);)B):lol:

It's replies like keehotee's & Von-Horst's is the reason why I try my best not to make general conversation on here. :laughing:

Both of you didn't read my log correctly. I said 'local authority for the area that you are walking in' yes this does mean council but also means landowners. I also said 'This however doesn't justify the bag of cr*p being left in the first place!' Which was totally ignored by both of you, I don't agree with the lazy sods dumping it in the first place.

Wendy I agree with your thoughts on smokers, it must be worse for yourself for the reasons you have pointed out. My above point stands for the establishments and councils for this as well. Still doesn't justify the lazy sods chucking them on the ground.

Anyway I'm off to do something better like walk my dogs!

...and I'm sorry you missed the irony in my post. :lol:

I go along with that statement

The biggest culprits being the National Trust whom around our way [maybe Nationally] have a policy of NOT PROVIDING LITTER BINS. Personally I think this is outrageous.

They want you to take your litter home with you but many do not and as a result many of their properties are litter dumps. I also wish they would cease in their policy of putting up prohibitively expensive pay and display car parks, refreshment kiosks , shops, and notice boards every where. All these do is encourage more visitors and escalate environmental problems [erosion etc]

In my experience it's me who pays the dumpimg fee when I employ a business to do a job for me that involves them taking my stuff to the tip for me.

It's often listed seperately on the bill under "cost of disposing of the rubbish " .

Why is it that when a thread mentions dogs at all, it always degenerates into 'handbags at dawn'?

I hate bags of dog poo left lying about (or worse, hidden in a hole and pretending to be a cache) and unfortunately I see all too many of them when out and about caching. My suggestion would be to make all dog poo bags biodegradable, so if somebody picks up the poo and then slings the bag, at least it will not sit there and ferment forever, but will eventually break down.

Chucking any litter around (cans, crisp packets, fag ends or bagged up poo) is vile. Using the 'somebody should have provided me with a bin so it's not my fault' argument is just lame, in my opinion. We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Whilst caching takes you to some fantastic places, it also shows you what a bunch of horrible litter louts there are around. I have seldom visited any beauty spot without finding some rubbish lurking about. Shame.

More CITO events required, I think!!

Don't you get all :) with me! Chill.... it's not as if I listed my top 10 methods for murdering dogs or anything! sheesh! :)

I was watching an interview on BBC1 the other day and somebody said basically 'you cannot expect people to carry their rubbish home, it's the responsibility of A N Other to provide more bins and pay people to come along and sweep it all up.

ps Mandy, you should not let Jess smoke, it's not good for her!

tra la la, tiddlety tum.... :)

I agree that all the fly tipping, rubbish and poo - bagged or not is disgraceful when enjoying a nice walk along a popular spot. Bins need putting in these popular spots, the local council must know where the regular dog walking places are.

What is equally disgraceful is the way that dog owners let their beloved pooch jump up at you covering your clothes in mud, then give you a look of disdain and walk off. Yes this is not the first time it has happened to me and not once has the dog owner apologised. After one particulary muddy incident, I ended up having to purchase special shampoo and reproofer to wash and re-waterproof my Goretex jacket - which was unfortunately unsuccessful as it now lets the wet in. Now I shall have to invest in a new jacket.

If you can't control/train your dog, then please put it on a lead.

OK rant over and sorry for going off topic a bit! :)

Surely you mean rules? :):D:)

Dog mess is AWFUL AWFUL stuff. Cig ends are bad but I know which I'd rather step in and they're extinguished after a minute or so anyway. Dog muck is the worst substance ever created, it's fow, I'm gipping just imagining the smell :)

After one particulary muddy incident, I ended up having to purchase special shampoo and reproofer to wash and re-waterproof my Goretex jacket - which was unfortunately unsuccessful as it now lets the wet in. Now I shall have to invest in a new jacket.

We wash our fleeces in the shampoo and then run the coats through the washi9ng machione with the same shampoo before running both through with the waterproofer. The slightest bit of fabric softener will ruin any goretex im afraid but you can wash it out.

A gentle pressing with a steam iron can also restore its waterproof qualities

Yes OT.

If we all CITO'd a bit of rubbish at a time and dog poo bags were biodegradable it would slowly get better. Leave no trace

Quiete who people expect to clean up after them on the top of a remote hill always amazes me

We have always carried bin bags with us in our backpack so that we can CITO. The piglets have always been told to take their rubbish home and I am proud to say, have learned well. However I feel that maybe I have been a bit too heavy on the emphasis as I am now known as 'the bag lady' ( accompanied by much rolling of eyes) when I insist on clearing up other folks' rubbish. :)

Perhaps someone can explain to me why some folk , having carried their heavy picnic up to the top of a mountain, then feel obliged to jettison the empty juice cans/beer cans etc when they are now lighter than before? I suppose they might drip on the inside of the plastic bag which transported them up there, but please folks if you can carry it up there, you can carry it back. :)

Huge rant coming on.............. :)

We were out and about today looking for a nice area for a meet and to place some caches, whilst driving along we were listening to Durham Radio..............anyway prisoners in Frankland prison are going to get PSP's in their cells because they are "bored" and they "have nothing to do" and playing games will "stimulate" their minds :):):D

Now this really peeves me off we both work we both pay taxes, the government will give criminals a PSP's, but they will not provide a few dog poo bins along country walks.

I know what I would rather pay a little bit of my taxes towards given the choice. :D

I wonder if any on them in their cushy warm comfortable cells playing on their PSP's will think of me the law obiding, tax paying citizen walking her dog in the rain looking for a poo bin..........not bliddy likely :D

Edited :

cos Daniel says he does have a PS2 and the prisoners are getting PSP not PS2's not that I know the difference :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Huge rant coming on.............. :)

We were out and about today looking for a nice area for a meet and to place some caches, whilst driving along we were listening to Durham Radio..............anyway prisoners in Frankland prison are going to get PSP's in their cells because they are "bored" and they "have nothing to do" and playing games will "stimulate" their minds :):):D

Now this really peeves me off we both work we both pay taxes, the government will give criminals a PSP's, but they will not provide a few dog poo bins along country walks.

I know what I would rather pay a little bit of my taxes towards given the choice. :D

I wonder if any on them in their cushy warm comfortable cells playing on their PSP's will think of me the law obiding, tax paying citizen walking her dog in the rain looking for a poo bin..........not bliddy likely :D

Edited :

cos Daniel says he does have a PS2 and the prisoners are getting PSP not PS2's not that I know the difference :D

~ Playing Gamestation in the hot sun ~

~ I fought the law and the law won ~

~ Fragging aliens with a stun gun ~

~I fought the law and the law won ~

Edited by pklong

After one particulary muddy incident, I ended up having to purchase special shampoo and reproofer to wash and re-waterproof my Goretex jacket - which was unfortunately unsuccessful as it now lets the wet in. Now I shall have to invest in a new jacket.

If you can't control/train your dog, then please put it on a lead.

OK rant over and sorry for going off topic a bit! :)

We were once told that a gore-tex that lets in water can be fixed by putting it in a tumble drier .

We don't have a trumble dier so don't know if it works ,

and no longer have a gore tex .

This is a never ending argument so here is my tuppence:-

I dislike seeing dog poo left lying around, either in or out of bags

I dislike having cigarette smoke "puffed" in my face

I dislike chewing gum being dropped on the floor

and I dislike rubbish being dropped

but the worst thing is I dislike the people who are inconsiderate enough to do these things with no concern for anyone else.

End of rant :)

I did a cache yesterday near some church ruins and while searching for the cach I noticed loads of beer cans and general rubbish along the boundry walls :< It made me kinda sad we shouldnt litter anywhere but then to do it in a place like that a stunning place people visit to see a small bit of history.

By the way, this month's Country Walking magazine has an interview with Bill Bryson in which he talks about litter, and the CPRE's campaign against it. Also they have a competition whereby you clean up a mile of pathway somewhere, and take a photo of the pile of rubbish you have created and send it in the the magazine (presumably you don't just leave the pile behind afterwards) Not sure how the competition is judged: biggest pile? most unusual rubbish?

By the way, this month's Country Walking magazine has an interview with Bill Bryson in which he talks about litter, and the CPRE's campaign against it. Also they have a competition whereby you clean up a mile of pathway somewhere, and take a photo of the pile of rubbish you have created and send it in the the magazine (presumably you don't just leave the pile behind afterwards) Not sure how the competition is judged: biggest pile? most unusual rubbish?

I shudder to think what kind of things would be found while picking up rubbish :<